PDA

View Full Version : Lion iCal any good?

akatsuki
May 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
I've seen the pics… the question I have is, is it any good? iCal has always been mediocre, and I have been contemplating buying the overly expensive BusyCal, but if Lion's calendar improves on entering in appointments, then I'll probably just wait.

So anyone who has used Lion's calendar extensively able to comment?

celticpride678
May 21, 2011, 08:07 PM
Honestly, I think this is the best iCal yet. The design...not amazing, but the features are welcome additions.

Nosoforos
May 22, 2011, 03:50 PM
Does it include week-numbers out of the box? I've always found this to be the weirdest and most irritating omission in iCal. I would like it if I didn't have to set up a special calendar just to see something as basic as a week-number.

petvas
May 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
Honestly, I think this is the best iCal yet. The design...not amazing, but the features are welcome additions.

Which features do you mean? Apart from push MobileMe support, I haven't noticed anything. I haven't spent a lot of time with it,so maybe I missed something.

celticpride678
May 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
Which features do you mean? Apart from push MobileMe support, I haven't noticed anything. I haven't spent a lot of time with it,so maybe I missed something.

Year view + heat maps, improved day view, quick events, etc.

hellomoto4
May 23, 2011, 08:11 AM
I run iCal in full screen no matter what, so for me the design really doesn't look that bad. Also I really love the new features stated above. Best iCal yet, I think.

celticpride678
May 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
I run iCal in full screen no matter what, so for me the design really doesn't look that bad. Also I really love the new features stated above. Best iCal yet, I think.

Very true - the new iCal doesn't look bad at all in full screen...not full screen? Yuck!

Einz
May 24, 2011, 03:18 AM
The new iCal should have features like this:

http://flexibits.com/fantastical

Synaesthesia242
May 24, 2011, 08:02 AM
That is awesome. Apple's philosophy seems to be to give the user the minimum and let 3rd party software provide the features for the hard-core users.

Donza
May 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
Year view + heat maps, improved day view, quick events, etc.
How does quick events work?

MacRumoren
Jul 9, 2011, 01:27 PM
sidebar missing???

kevin2i
Jul 9, 2011, 02:44 PM
It is now bound in leather.

:rolleyes:

tkermit
Jul 9, 2011, 03:57 PM
The new iCal should have features like this:

http://flexibits.com/fantastical

How does quick events work?

Quick Add
Adding an event to iCal has never been easier. Simply enter a regular-language phrase like “Mary’s Birthday at 8 p.m.” or “Lunch with John” and let iCal add the event for you. Quick Add can turn your phrases into iCal events with the right name, time, and location. Just click the Add button (+) in the toolbar and enter your phrase.

maclaptop
Jul 9, 2011, 04:10 PM
It is now bound in leather.

:rolleyes:

Totally disgusting. If I wanted a paper planner, I'd buy one.

This is high tech... Oh Come On Apple... It's crap!

MacRumoren
Jul 10, 2011, 02:42 PM

Why would Apple change something that has been working for years and years?

grahamperrin
Jul 21, 2011, 09:55 AM
sidebar missing???

Unfortunately yes, Apple has removed the sidebar, causing great frustration for people who require the always-on list of calendars.

For people with more than a handful of calendars, the popover is an extremely poor substitute.

Please send feedback to Apple asking for the lost functionality to be restored.

BusyCal with sidebar — an alternative to iCal without sidebar

… contemplating buying … BusyCal …

BusyCal lacks support for Microsoft Exchange Server.

That aside, the interface of BusyCal — comparable to iCal in Snow Leopard — is far preferable to the dumbed-down reduced functionality iCal in Lion.

For each troublesome aspect of iCal in Lion, please send one item of feedback to Apple.

Cross references

sidebar missing from iCal in Lion — seeking a third party product to restore lost functionality (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194676) — Apple Support Communities (in Identi.ca (http://identi.ca/notice/79370593) and in Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/grahamperrin/status/94072058564194304))

iCal in Lion (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1034360) (in MacRumors Forums)

Oestberg
Jul 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
iCal hurts my eyes, I cant use it like this. Got to find another Calendar. And the address book? Even worse.

paulsalter
Jul 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
Was hoping to move back to ical from busycal

but when i see they removed the left sidebar with calendars in (as a permant stay on feature), I am going to stick with busycal

iwan073
Jul 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
Can anyone add a Google account to their iCal?
Mine won't work

RedHook
Jul 25, 2011, 12:44 AM
Can anyone tell me what happens when you print iCal with a list view? I'm hoping that the to do list prints out the same way it was organized, which doesn't happen in Snow Leopard.

Thanks.

lukei4655
Jul 25, 2011, 12:50 AM

de gustibus non disputandum est

lifeboat1
Aug 19, 2011, 01:44 AM
Is it any good? NO!
I have 3 intel Macs (24" first gen iMac, 13" first-gen MacBookAir, 27" Corei7 iMac). Did the Lion update on MacBook Air first, but didn't realise just how bad iCal was/is.
Not just the aesthetics, but its next-to-unfixability. With the same accounts synced via MobileMe, the first two are functional as "designed". The third continues to replicate a CalDAV account bringing the server to its knees. One thousand iterations is a bit much to delete via the Preferences pane. Finding the hidden Library directory, the deleting the Calendar directory contents cleaned it up for a moment. I also deleted the mail accounts on the same server, and all the keychains.
It's back growing again and I don't have the energy to fix it. Plan B suggestions, anyone? Do I finally just bury iCal?