Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
For some background on this, read my earlier thread here. Basically I have just outfitted a iMac G3 400Mhz with a new, way bigger internal hard disk. (I'm excited.)

The old disk was the standard 10Gb, 2 Mb cache, 5400 rpm disk. The new is a 80 Gb, 8 Mb cache, 7200 rpm Maxtor drive. I have read some websites stating that with higher rpm drives may generate too much heat. Is this really a concern? How can I tell if it's running hot?

If it is a problem, would only the drive overheat or other devices too?

Any help/wisedom is appreciated. Thanks,
-r

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Upgraded my 333 Mhz Blueberry iMac from a small 6GB drive to a 40GB 7200 RPM drive two years ago (actually it may be three years ago...wow). Anyway, no problems at all. Works great (besides the fact that I am forced into partitioning the drive...grrrr)

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Nope its no problem, even with the fanless slot loading models. I put a 80gb Samsung drive in mines, and its working fine, even running 24/7 (and its overclocked 100mhz too!)

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I'd have to agree with everyone else, I've upgraded quite a few iMac G3 hard drives, as the ones with the 10GB Maxtor's tended to fry (literaly), and the typical one's I put in were 80GB 7200 RPM drives. No one ever had any problems.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Cool. Thanks everyone. I'll sleep better at night knowing that all is fine. ;)

I will also note that since installing the new drive, my old iMac has a new lease on life. It runs SO much quieter (can hardly tell it's on at all!) and is. . wait for it. . . snappier. :p The faster rpm and larger disk cache really make a difference.

I'd like to see a 1999 era PC running XP perform this well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.