Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Hey all,

I've installed the above, but prefer iphoto4 - how can I restore 4? - I have a new G5 iMac, however the install disks doesn't seem to have the iphoto software.

Any ideas how I can revert back to iphoto4?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
The restore discs do have iPhoto on them, but it's hidden from the Finder. Here is how I did it. First insert restore disc 1, and take note of what it's called. (Mine is called 'iBook Software') Then open up Terminal and issue this command:

cp -rp /Volumes/iBook\ Software/System/Installation/Packages/iPhoto.pkg ~/Desktop

You'll see that I typed 'iBook\ Software' - the backslash has to come before the space. If your disc is called something else, substitute its name in there, putting a backslash before any spaces.

Now you should have iPhoto.pkg on your desktop. You have to trash iPhoto 5 before you can install 4.

MacBacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks for the reply, tried both suggestions but iphoto doesn't appear to be any of the disks???

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
What don't you like about iPhoto 5? I like all the new features they added. Such things as giving the photo rolls a title and description when you import then is very nice. I don't think it is that much different that you would want to switch back.

MacBacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
wwooden said:
What don't you like about iPhoto 5? I like all the new features they added. Such things as giving the photo rolls a title and description when you import then is very nice. I don't think it is that much different that you would want to switch back.

I don't have a problem with the functionality, however on the ugly scale...this baby is Fuuuuugly. Which is one of the reasons I switched to OSX from XP.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Other than what the others have said, I don't think that I can really help you out. However, I would like to comment on that last remark that you made--even though iPhoto 5 is better than iPhoto 4 in terms of functionality, you want to go back because iPhoto 5 is "fuggly". No offense, but it seems to me that you are going through alot of trouble for something so minor. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I think you may have trouble reverting back unless you have a back up of your iPhoto 04 library. The library gets converted to iPhoto 5 when you open it and I don't think there's a reverse for it. It does warn you that your library won't work with previous versions of iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.