PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate the cutsey crap?

smc333
May 29, 2011, 09:26 AM
On iOS too, but mostly on Lion?

Address book and iCal look like crap. I don't want a faux reality look, I want a clean interface to do my work. I especially don't like these cutsey looks of those apps mixing in with a clean look for the rest of the OS (Mail, Safari, etc), has Apple lost all sense of design aesthetics with this?

Unified is the key, unlike what they're now doing in iOS too (iMovie for the iPhone went to hell after the last update).

Bear
May 29, 2011, 10:15 AM
I don't look the look of Mail as shown in the Lion preview ON Apple's website.

Hopefully you will be able to switch views. I looked yesterday and couldn't find anything on whether or not that's possible.

Nosoforos
May 29, 2011, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere you can change the look of addressbook to a 'classic' look

celticpride678
May 29, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't look the look of Mail as shown in the Lion preview.

Hopefully you will be able to switch views. I looked yesterday and couldn't find anything on whether or not that's possible.

I guess you didn't look hard enough.

JKK photography
May 29, 2011, 11:06 AM
This stuff is called "chrome."

It's the emulation of real-world things or concepts in a computing environment. I think.

And yes, I don't care for it much. However, if it does indeed work better, then it's alright with me.

Don't automatically assume that change is bad. And stuff.

Bear
May 29, 2011, 12:48 PM
I guess you didn't look hard enough.

I meant I was looking at the preview on Apple's website. Sorry to be not clear about it.

Starfox
May 29, 2011, 12:55 PM
This stuff is called "chrome."

It's the emulation of real-world things or concepts in a computing environment. I think.

Nah, Chrome is the window borders / UI controls etc. What you're talking about is called skeumorphic UI. And I hate it.

smc333
May 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Nah, Chrome is the window borders / UI controls etc. What you're talking about is called skeumorphic UI. And I hate it.

The movement to an iOS-ey interface has made me think about scooping up a monster deal from HP.

FroMann
May 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
Looks fine to me, heck I actually like it more.

kRobbin
May 29, 2011, 03:36 PM
Pretty ironic that Apple call their interface element Chrome considering the growing rift with Google.

I'm starting to wonder if the retro look of Apple elements hasn't jumped the shark. It was cool for while but maybe it's time for a cleaner more modern look.

Cougarcat
May 29, 2011, 04:04 PM
Pretty ironic that Apple call their interface element Chrome considering the growing rift with Google.

"Chrome" is a generic UI term.

maclaptop
May 30, 2011, 12:19 AM

Address book and iCal look like crap. I don't want a faux reality look, I want a clean interface to do my work. I especially don't like these cutsey looks of those apps mixing in with a clean look for the rest of the OS (Mail, Safari, etc), has Apple lost all sense of design aesthetics with this?

Unified is the key, unlike what they're now doing in iOS too (iMovie for the iPhone went to hell after the last update).

Apple is pandering to the kids and old people. Making the union of iOS and OS X the beginning of the end of the Mac OS.

It's now all about having the most apps, cutesy feminine white devices, and maintaining Apples passion for money.

baryon
May 30, 2011, 03:44 AM
I don't agree. The GUI is "cutesy" compared to the command line. Windows XP is "cutesy" compared to Windows 98. The GUI is becoming more tangible and less "machine-like". As technology progresses, they are able to make GUIs that don't just look like grey rectangles with grey rectangular buttons, but actual objects. It makes things more interesting and less boring maybe.

If you now have many windows open, you can tell which is which instantly just by the shape and color. You don't even need to look at the content. Before all windows looked identical, except for their size and content.

Fuchal
May 30, 2011, 07:48 AM
I don't agree. The GUI is "cutesy" compared to the command line. Windows XP is "cutesy" compared to Windows 98. The GUI is becoming more tangible and less "machine-like". As technology progresses, they are able to make GUIs that don't just look like grey rectangles with grey rectangular buttons, but actual objects. It makes things more interesting and less boring maybe.

If you now have many windows open, you can tell which is which instantly just by the shape and color. You don't even need to look at the content. Before all windows looked identical, except for their size and content.

Yes, this is it. It may be a bit over-the-top now, but it will get refined and toned down just like Aqua was over-the-top in 10.0-10.2.

stordoff
Jun 2, 2011, 10:15 PM

"Chrome" is a generic UI term, typically referring to window borders etc.. It's used by a lot of companies and users. "Google Chrome" is so called because it minimise the amount of chrome, and thus maximises usable space.

slb
Jun 3, 2011, 12:36 AM
Apple is pandering to the kids and old people. Making the union of iOS and OS X the beginning of the end of the Mac OS.

It's now all about having the most apps, cutesy feminine white devices, and maintaining Apples passion for money.

Ah, another MacRumors troll. Making money is evil!

Apple is simply making apps that don't look like sterile hospital rooms. Look at a screenshot of an early Lion developer preview compared to the latest one, and latter is the one that pops. However, there are always the crotchety grumps who hate everything that changes and will proclaim their hatred for it with every single OS X release. If they had their way, we'd still be using System 7 at 640x480 resolution with 256 colors because gradients and shadows are "cutesy feminine".

rmbrown09
Jun 3, 2011, 01:37 AM
lets not get carried away.

Lion is nearly no different in terms of UI compared to SL.

There are different more simplistic and minimalist scroll bars.
There is an updated calendar and mail app, they function a little differently.
Mission control works nearly exactly the same as expose does, just rearranges windows in a different way, and combines spaces. Please tell me what is so cutsy.

From a quick look through the OS, you can barely tell it different than SL. In all honesty.

Cougarcat
Jun 3, 2011, 01:38 AM
. Please tell me what is so cutsy.

iCal and Address Book.

Alaerian
Jun 3, 2011, 01:56 AM
None of it looks "cutesy" to me. I have no idea where you got that idea.

ntrigue
Jun 3, 2011, 02:50 AM
This was extensively blogged about, can't find the link. Even the notes have a simulated tear-off.

Yumunum
Jun 3, 2011, 03:01 AM

Try some Android phones... You might change your mind.

rmbrown09
Jun 3, 2011, 01:00 PM
old iCal
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/nexus/snowleopard/images/ical-nexus-account.png

New iCal
http://cl.ly/073c17123d0X1q2p233W/Screen_Shot_2011-06-03_at_10.59.47_AM.png

honestly not much difference.

macrem
Jun 3, 2011, 01:48 PM
old iCal
Image (http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/nexus/snowleopard/images/ical-nexus-account.png)

New iCal
http://cl.ly/073c17123d0X1q2p233W/Screen_Shot_2011-06-03_at_10.59.47_AM.png

honestly not much difference.
I think the faux leather look is very cheesy. Is that a joke?

mrapplegate
Jun 3, 2011, 01:58 PM

It's no joke. You get used to it. DP2 was bad, they tamed it in DP3 :D

rmbrown09
Jun 3, 2011, 02:08 PM

But besides a small reskin, the thing is the exact same. It's like applying a theme to your browser that changes it just slightly. It's not like everything is different. Lion from my experience is about 95% the same as SL.

mrapplegate
Jun 3, 2011, 02:13 PM
But besides a small reskin, the thing is the exact same. It's like applying a theme to your browser that changes it just slightly. It's not like everything is different. Lion from my experience is about 95% the same as SL.

Did you not see the "heat map" in the month view? There are many changes, not just a skinning of the app.

nathannookie
Jul 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
Some like it, some HATE it... and I'm one of them that hates it. It just bothers me being the aesthetic junkie I am.

APPLE... or someone... please give us the option to turn the leather off and go with the classic (Leopard) look... and the fabric looking login screen too. The star field was so much more high tech.

And while you're at it, Apple, why not give us the option to combine iCal, Mail, and Address book, into one app. like Outlook?

SlappyWhite
Jul 20, 2011, 06:28 PM
Yes!

Launchpad is a perfect example of forcing iOS features on the Mac platform, usability be damned. The most awkward piece of software I've used since WinXP. It's like a game trying to sort the icons on that thing and you can't win.

macfanboy
Jul 20, 2011, 06:32 PM
Yes!

Launchpad is a perfect example of forcing iOS features on the Mac platform, usability be damned. The most awkward piece of software I've used since WinXP. It's like a game trying to sort the icons on that thing and you can't win.

tell me who the hell is FORCING you to use this, and i'll give you a cookie.

syan48306
Jul 20, 2011, 06:35 PM
ical and address book.

qq

LizKat
Jul 20, 2011, 06:44 PM
The movement to an iOS-ey interface has made me think about scooping up a monster deal from HP.

Wow. Really? HP? Windows? Voluntarily? ;)

Even if I didn't like the look of it, I'd just apply the Lion and start looking for things to make the cosmetics more to my liking.

Elven
Jul 20, 2011, 06:46 PM
If anything the changes brought by Lion has me tempted to sell my Windows computer which is laying by my left leg at the minute, hosting APi feeds and being storage and buying the base model new Mini.

I salute Apple on Lion, for a zero day OS I am stunned, I was zero day with Vista, and then Windows 7(better but still...)

Brilliant rollout and the OS is smooth. I had a Bootcamp NTFS partition which was untouched and the installation went perfectly.

SlappyWhite
Jul 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
tell me who the hell is FORCING you to use this, and i'll give you a cookie.

Like I said, a perfect example of forcing an iOS feature on the Mac. The platform, not me. It clearly doesn't lend itself to the platform.

Obviously I'm not going to touch it apart from giving it a try. But it is indicative of the direction of future OSX versions and I'm afraid that eventually, when I don't simply want to use it, it'll mean the whole OS.

nathannookie
Jul 20, 2011, 10:40 PM
I figured out how to dump the leather look in iCal.

Look inside Applications/iCal then 'Show Package contents', then in the resources folder you'll see the leather PNG files and lots of other little PNG's that you can change in Photoshop and re-save to another folder and then move those files back into the resources folder replacing the originals (typing your password each time) (backup the originals). Yep, a PITA, but unless someone gives us an option to turn the leather look off, it's the only way for now.

I also tried running iCal from Snow Leopard, but it gets an error.

Phlebas8717
Jul 20, 2011, 11:44 PM
While I think iCal and Address Book do look a little off compared to the rest of the GUI, it actually makes a bit of sense when you think about it. While most of the other apps in Lion are simply apps that only exist as computer programs, iCal and Address Book are computer equivalents of real, physical things. A web browser can only look like a web browser because it has no real world equivalent, but why not make a calender or an address book look like a calendar or an address book?

Lion just can't win today. People complain about Lion killing what was left of Aqua while others complain about it looking overly cutesy. People say 30 bucks is too much money for a minor upgrade and others say it is the dumbing down of the once great OS X.

I think Lion is a major and positive change for OS X . Gestures is a new way to interact with desktop computers and the new autosave feature, to me at least, is a radical way to work with and conceptualize documents. This, coupled with sensible upgrades to Mail, Safari and a host of other apps, seems to be a good example of a successful new OS. Some radical changes here and some gradual evolution and polishing there.

The iOSing of OS X is simply making use of the experiences of iPhone and iPad users. The traditional understanding (and the metaphors used by that understanding) of how an operating system works is changing because of smart phones, tablets and the internet (especially the last five years). The technological and conceptual limitations that made a need for the folder and the desktop metaphors are gone. Now the GUI that made use of that conceptualization of a computer is beginning to leave.

nathannookie
Jul 21, 2011, 12:04 AM
It's all about options. You can go with the grey look, so the buttons don't show red, yellow or green... or blue... that still shows them. You can set Mail to use the Classic or new layout and turn off many of the new Lion features off.

SO, why not let users use iCal and Address Book with the original SL look? It obviously offends a lot of users, so the least Apple could do would be to let users decide... not force something on them.

Yes, it's well worth the $29... It was worth that just so that I could encrypt my portable time machine drive and not worry about it being stolen and having all my data in someone else's hands. But, again, the encryption was an option.

macrem
Jul 21, 2011, 04:20 AM
while you're at it, Apple, why not give us the option to combine iCal, Mail, and Address book, into one app. like Outlook?
I agree with you about the new look of iCal and Address Book... I find it to be gaudy and as soon as there is a hack to get the SL look back, I'm going to change it.

I can't say I mind the animations, though. In fact I like those.

However, about Outlook... I despised Outlook both in the way it is a labyrinth of unintuitive settings and sluggishness. Many people at work joke about launching Outlook, then going for coffee while it loads whereas OS X Mail and Thunderbird load the same mail Outlook chokes on from the same MS Exchange servers very quickly. I much prefer the way OS X Mail is now (separate apps which share underlying data).

If you like Outlook better, though, you might want to check out Entourage.

nathannookie
Jul 21, 2011, 04:51 PM
I agree with you about the new look of iCal and Address Book... I find it to be gaudy and as soon as there is a hack to get the SL look back, I'm going to change it.

I can't say I mind the animations, though. In fact I like those.

However, about Outlook... I despised Outlook both in the way it is a labyrinth of unintuitive settings and sluggishness. Many people at work joke about launching Outlook, then going for coffee while it loads whereas OS X Mail and Thunderbird load the same mail Outlook chokes on from the same MS Exchange servers very quickly. I much prefer the way OS X Mail is now (separate apps which share underlying data).

If you like Outlook better, though, you might want to check out Entourage.

Well, it's Outlook 2011 today, but I hear it doesn't sync well with MobileMe and the iPhone etc... not as smoothly as the Apple suite anyway. NOPE, don't want to go back to MS apps. and you're right about it being slow etc... :)

I can launch Address book, iCal, and Mail, all very quickly, so I'm not sure it'd be a big deal to combine them. After all, they use much of the same data anyway.

As far as skins go, I'd dug into iCal's resources folder, yesterday, and started re-skinning with Photoshop, but have since found a guy that's already done it all:
http://macnix.blogspot.com/

Ahhhh.... but we still have the horrible interface on Lion's Address Book, that I hope Apple will give us the option to use the classic interface.

nissan.gtp
Jul 21, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm successfully ignoring the iOS stuff

liking it so far, some nice features. guess I'll need to upgrade the iMac

Ibjr
Jul 21, 2011, 05:01 PM
Wow. Really? HP? Windows? Voluntarily? ;)

Even if I didn't like the look of it, I'd just apply the Lion and start looking for things to make the cosmetics more to my liking.

WebOS looks better than iOS when applied to desktops and, it appears, we'll be seeing WebOS laptops soon. If i want something like Apple is doing with Leopard, i'll just go w/ HP when they release the WebOS MBA competitors.

jawporta
Aug 19, 2011, 08:50 AM
Mail, iCal, AddressBook, Full Screen Apps? What is going on? Not everyone loves the stupid iPad, can we have the Mac back?

SolarYoda
Nov 17, 2013, 10:59 PM

I agree. I didn't HATE the cute design but the Finder/File list/icons were really unappealing. Contrast with Windows where you can choose your own icons if you want and where the design is clean and professional.