PDA

View Full Version : SMB sharing between Lion and 10.6 or earlier Mac OS X

boilingpoint
May 31, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hello,

I have tested SMB sharing between Lion and 10.6 or earlier. And I can mount SMB sharing on Lion, but cannot mount SMB sharing of Lion on 10.6 or earlier Mac OS X. (I can connect to the SMB sharing of Lion on Windows 7&XP)

I think it may be a bug. But I mind that the SMBX(apple's own implementation of SMB) will not be compatible with SAMBA that earlier Mac OS X versions use.

Any thought?

Thanks guys.

DeckMan
May 31, 2011, 06:17 PM
Aren't you supposed to use AFP instead of SMB to share files between Macs?

wrldwzrd89
May 31, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hello,

I have tested SMB sharing between Lion and 10.6 or earlier. And I can mount SMB sharing on Lion, but cannot mount SMB sharing of Lion on 10.6 or earlier Mac OS X. (I can connect to the SMB sharing of Lion on Windows 7&XP)

I think it may be a bug. But I mind that the SMBX(apple's own implementation of SMB) will not be compatible with SAMBA that earlier Mac OS X versions use.

Any thought?

Thanks guys.
This does sound like a bug, but not an important one - since Mac-to-Mac file sharing is normally done over AFP, not SMB.

boilingpoint
May 31, 2011, 08:16 PM
OK. I know AFP is better than SMB for Mac-to-Mac environment. But think about the case that Lion works as a server for other Windows, Linux and Mac computers.

hopejr
May 31, 2011, 09:42 PM
OK. I know AFP is better than SMB for Mac-to-Mac environment. But think about the case that Lion works as a server for other Windows, Linux and Mac computers.

If SMBX doesn't work with Samba, then you won't get anywhere with trying to use it to share with Linux.

For sharing with OS X and Windows, I'd just set up the same share as AFP and SMB.

boilingpoint
May 31, 2011, 11:47 PM
If SMBX doesn't work with Samba, then you won't get anywhere with trying to use it to share with Linux.

You are right. I cannot mount SMB sharing of Lion on a Linux machine either. :(

RogerPham
Jun 6, 2011, 08:21 PM
I'm having the same problem mounting 10.7 Lion onto my Ubuntu box. From Windows 7 box the mount works because I assume that Windows has SMB2. Other Linux user out there, anything I can do to get around this problem?

boilingpoint
Jun 7, 2011, 12:11 PM
This bug still remains in DP4. :mad:

RogerPham
Jun 7, 2011, 12:19 PM
This bug still remains in DP4. :mad:
Sigh, I'm on DP3. I was hoping that Apple would fix it in their next release. Do you know if there is a bug for it or does Apple intend to fix in in the GA version of Lion?

Thanks!

boilingpoint
Jun 7, 2011, 12:39 PM
Do you know if there is a bug for it or does Apple intend to fix in in the GA version of Lion?

No, I am not sure. But I think it should be fixed in the final release.

I don't want to register Apple developer program with $99 for just bug reports. I hope that Apple engineers might be monitoring this forum to gather problematic issues.

mrapplegate
Jun 7, 2011, 12:52 PM
Sigh, I'm on DP3. I was hoping that Apple would fix it in their next release. Do you know if there is a bug for it or does Apple intend to fix in in the GA version of Lion?

Thanks!

You can try searching for an open report.
http://openradar.appspot.com/page/1

mrapplegate
Jun 7, 2011, 12:55 PM
No, I am not sure. But I think it should be fixed in the final release.

I don't want to register Apple developer program with $99 for just bug reports. I hope that Apple engineers might be monitoring this forum to gather problematic issues.

Let's not get into the fact that if you're not a developer you should not have Lion. Having said that, I don't think they monitor public forums that often. They rely on true developers to file the bug reports. Too much information is needed and they can't get accurate information on bugs from a forum post.

RogerPham
Jun 7, 2011, 07:31 PM
I filed a bug with Apple, bug #9564523. Unfortunately to view the bug report you have to be member. Hopefully someone will get around to it. I also added the link to this website to let them know that other people are also encountering the same thing. Most of all this is a big regression.

boilingpoint
Jun 7, 2011, 10:12 PM
I filed a bug with Apple, bug #9564523. Unfortunately to view the bug report you have to be member. Hopefully someone will get around to it. I also added the link to this website to let them know that other people are also encountering the same thing. Most of all this is a big regression.

RogerPham, thank you, and would you please file one more bug?:D Many thanks in advance.
Internet Sharing Bug: Once configuring internet sharing, I know the target network adapter for internet sharing will be configured to 192.168.2.1 IP Address. However like in earlier versions of Mac OS X and all other computer OS, user can change it to the other IP address range (e.g. 192.168.13.1, ...). It is ok to set the gateway address to 192.168.13.1 and the dns address to 192.168.2.1 on the internet shared computer.

However, if I change the IP address range, internet sharing does not work any more. Internet sharing works only using 192.168.2.1 IP address.

It is obviously a bug. It was in DP3 and still remains in DP4.

RogerPham
Jun 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
RogerPham, thank you, and would you please file one more bug?:D Many thanks in advance.

I just filed the bug you requested. No problem!

boilingpoint
Jun 9, 2011, 01:11 AM
Thanks, RogerPham. Two Thumbs UP! d:Db

boilingpoint
Jul 2, 2011, 01:56 AM
Nothing changed in GM. Debug messages are same as those of DP4. :(

tworkemon
Jul 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
Curious to know if any progress has been made to the bug filed or if anyone has found a work around. I have read other forums where devices such has NAS, wdltv and others are affected by this. Definitely a showstopper for me to not upgrade.

SMB client not supported - Unicode, NT Errors, Long Names and Extended Security are required :(

RogerPham
Jul 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
Lion is going to be released tomorrow. At this point I believe Apple has abandoned the support for SMB :mad:

jadik
Aug 13, 2011, 04:36 PM
[(--)]ZZzzz...
Apple is certainly asleep the wheel on this!

No moderation, commentary, apology, rectification or acknowledgement across any avenue... and we're approaching four weeks since commercial launch. Their silence infers a complete and reckless abandon of concern for the interests of their customer community. ಠ_ಠ

Glenndk
Aug 14, 2011, 05:30 AM
Here is a workaround for AFP access from Lion to legacy Mac OS X:

Lion: Connecting to legacy (pre-Lion) AFP services - and Mac OS X (server):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13166617

boilingpoint
Aug 22, 2011, 09:02 AM
As you know, nothing is changed in 10.7.1. :mad:

----------

Here is a workaround for AFP access from Lion to legacy Mac OS X:

Lion: Connecting to legacy (pre-Lion) AFP services - and Mac OS X (server):
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13166617

What we are saying is not about AFP but SMB.

RogerPham
Oct 3, 2011, 06:21 PM
My co-worker suggested this site:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.cifs/3517