PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 to Include Twitter Integration for Photos?

MacRumors
May 31, 2011, 04:51 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/ios-5-to-include-twitter-integration-for-photos/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/b4.png

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/b4.png)
TechCrunch reports (http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/31/twitter-pictures-ios5/) that Apple will be integrating Twitter photo sharing directly into iOS 5:We’ve heard from multiple sources that Twitter is likely to have a big-time partner for such a service: Apple. Specifically, we’re hearing that Apple’s new iOS 5 will come with an option to share images to Twitter baked into the OS. This would be similar to the way you can currently share videos on YouTube with one click in iOS. Obviously, a user would have to enable this feature by logging in with their Twitter credentials in iOS. There would then be a “Send to Twitter” option for pictures stored on your device.Twitter is said to be offering their own photo-sharing service in the near future. Apple will be detailing iOS 5 during WWDC next week.

DaringFireball's John Gruber adds some comments suggesting that Twitter integration is indeed in iOS 5 and that there is more to it than just photo integration:
So close to the bigger story, but yet so far. Imagine what else the system could provide if your Twitter account was a system-level service.

Article Link: iOS 5 to Include Twitter Integration for Photos? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/ios-5-to-include-twitter-integration-for-photos/)

crisss1205
May 31, 2011, 04:58 PM
I think that instead of baking it directly into iOS they should make an API where you can register your service with the phone, just like you can with QuickLook now, and have the photos app pull that up as an option. It could be the same exact implementation as "Open In" that you see with PDFs and other docs but make it a "Share With" button.

Slix
May 31, 2011, 04:59 PM
Considering a ton of people really like posting images to Twitter, having it built in would be very useful for everyone. If they do this, there should be an option to turn it off though, because the menu for photos is getting quite large.

spiraldream
May 31, 2011, 05:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; pt-br) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

It makes sense to send to Facebook, but Twitter? I don't get it

CrzyCanuck72
May 31, 2011, 05:00 PM
If you have the Twitter app installed on your BlackBerry, the "send to twitter" option becomes available right in the camera app. It is EXTREMELY convenient, so it would be great if it came to iOS.

rorschach
May 31, 2011, 05:04 PM
I think that instead of baking it directly into iOS they should make an API where you can register your service with the phone, just like you can with QuickLook now, and have the photos app pull that up as an option. It could be the same exact implementation as "Open In" that you see with PDFs and other docs but make it a "Share With" button.

I agree with this.

bmburton13
May 31, 2011, 05:09 PM
How about in addition to "Send to Twitter", why not include "Send to Facebook" or even go as far as "Send To All" and in the settings you can assign the different Social mediums to "Send it All"

Just a thought:)

TeamMojo
May 31, 2011, 05:10 PM
Rep. Weiner will find this useful.

crisss1205
May 31, 2011, 05:12 PM
Rep. Weiner will find this useful.

Hey, his account got "hacked"

arn
May 31, 2011, 05:22 PM
updated with some comments from daring fireball

ImNoSuperMan
May 31, 2011, 05:26 PM

Gruber is such a tease!

As far as facebook integration is concerned, i can see how it might make more sense but personally I never really found a use for fb (deactivated my account last week only coz i was getting too much spam mail from them). Twitter on the other hand has me hooked.

BLACKFRIDAY
May 31, 2011, 05:27 PM

DaringFireball's John Gruber adds some comments suggesting that Twitter integration is indeed in iOS 5 and that there is more to it than just photo integration:

So close to the bigger story, but yet so far. Imagine what else the system could provide if your Twitter account was a system-level service.

Gruber's comments don't imply that Twitter is a system level service in iOS 5.0.

He seems to lay a ground for the discussion where twitter could act as a system level service. You might want to update the OP again.

koobcamuk
May 31, 2011, 05:28 PM

What else could it provide? :confused:

Reach9
May 31, 2011, 05:29 PM
Wow, iOS 5 news already? Twitter integrated to the OS sounds great!

Just wondering, is the Siri and Voice recognition software going to be prevalent for iOS 5, or was it just a random rumor?

beatzfreak
May 31, 2011, 05:30 PM
Apple needs to integrate a better photo app where we can actually organize photos, first.

PBF
May 31, 2011, 05:30 PM
No Tumblr support??? Booooo!! :mad:

bmburton13
May 31, 2011, 05:32 PM
Apple needs to integrate a better photo app where we can actually organize photos, first.

I agree with that

PraisiX-windows
May 31, 2011, 05:32 PM
Can't wait for WWDC, does anyone know if it's possible to watch it live somehow? (Without actually being there that is, obviously).

celticpride678
May 31, 2011, 05:33 PM
Can't wait for WWDC, does anyone know if it's possible to watch it live somehow? (Without actually being there that is, obviously).

There are a few options:

1. Apple will provide a live stream of the keynote like they have in recent history

2. Someone sneaks a camera in

crisss1205
May 31, 2011, 05:34 PM

Last year Apple had a livestream online, other than that you cannot.

Warbrain
May 31, 2011, 05:34 PM
Wow, iOS 5 news already? Twitter integrated to the OS sounds great!

Just wondering, is the Siri and Voice recognition software going to be prevalent for iOS 5, or was it just a random rumor?

It does get talked about next week...

Stridder44
May 31, 2011, 05:36 PM
Twitter. How thrilling.

Cougarcat
Gruber's comments don't imply that Twitter is a system level service in iOS 5.0.

Actually, he's implying exactly that. This is exactly how he "reveals" things that he knows.

scottparker999
Gruber is such a tease!

As far as facebook integration is concerned, i can see how it might make more sense but personally I never really found a use for fb (deactivated my account last week only coz i was getting too much spam mail from them). Twitter on the other hand has me hooked.

It IS possible to select for what reasons they email you. For instance you can turn off all emails from Facebook. Quite handy.

Doing this achieves the same objective, but whilst still being tagged in the occasional nostalgic photograph. Win win.

ArtOfWarfare
May 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
Twitter widget comes standard with iOS 5 and is the first one Apple reveals?

Is that what the "so much more" is?

NAG
May 31, 2011, 05:38 PM
I have a feeling that iOS 5 is going to beat WebOS in the few areas that it beats iOS 4 (notifications being the biggest one).

Actually, he's implying exactly that. This is exactly how he "reveals" things that he knows.

Yeah, the only time he ever flat out says anything is if it is blatant speculation on his part (such as iPad 2HD in September) or if he thinks it is wrong (such as iPhone at WWDC 2011).

Žalgiris
May 31, 2011, 05:40 PM
God how i hate all this social BS. Like there are no other pressing matters to attend.

Jeaz
May 31, 2011, 05:41 PM
Meh, really struggle to see the big point in it, and then again Twitter is almost non-excistent where I'm from. Rather see something similar with FB, Twitter is just to primitive and low-tech, I mean, with e-mails in cellphones I thought we were finally done with SMS :-)

scottparker999
May 31, 2011, 05:41 PM
A few ideas of what Gruber may be eluding to.

1) Twitter feed as screen saver / home screen?
2) Game Centre integration?
3) VoIP / Facetime Contacts from twitter? (unlikely)

NAG
May 31, 2011, 05:45 PM
God how i hate all this social BS. Like there are no other pressing matters to attend.

Er. Okay. I agree that most Twitter traffic the world could probably live without. But we are social animals. We need some kind of connect to be functional. I don't see how this is a bad thing (I mean, it is a phone, communicating should be it's main purpose).

Jeaz
May 31, 2011, 05:45 PM
Tbh, there were similar rumours for iOS4 but then said it would be tightly integrated with Facebook. Think the Apple+FB love story ended, when talks over Ping fell apart and it got scrapped for iOS as well.

Frisco
May 31, 2011, 05:46 PM
Twitter is garbage, but probably the future :(

neiltc13
May 31, 2011, 05:47 PM
I remember seeing "Share to Twitter" on my HTC Desire over a year ago. I didn't use it then and I wouldn't use this either.

infectbda
May 31, 2011, 05:47 PM
I think Twitter system-wide could mean lots of different things: obviously makes lots of sense in Safari, and perhaps we could even get a "tweet" option in the popup list along side copy and paste?

What I really hope this means is we get an API for developers so that users don't have to keep re-authenticating with Twitter (and Facebook too?) for each app. Seems like it would be better for users and one less thing app developers have to deal with.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 05:48 PM
Twitter is garbage, but probably the future :(

It will be replaced eventually. Just like how Twitter mostly replaced internet message boards (like this).

johneaston
Am I the only one who simply couldn't give a toss about Twitter?

Small White Car

...said a man on a social message board.

gatearray
May 31, 2011, 05:49 PM
**** Twitter.

And of course Gruber loves it, he's got a real hard-on for pointless tweets from insignificant little birds on the interwebs, but I wish Apple would keep that crap out of my OS. Facebook, too.

apttap
May 31, 2011, 05:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think all Gruber was hinting at is that system level twitter integration will probably solve the nasty OAuth issues that twitter client developers are soon going to be dealing with.

Žalgiris
May 31, 2011, 05:51 PM
...said a man on a social message board.

You are so reaching here and you know it very well.

Small White Car
May 31, 2011, 05:52 PM
You are so reaching here and you know it very well.

What you said, what I said, and what you said are all the exact same thing as tweets.

(They'd all fit within Twitter's character limit too!)

BLACKFRIDAY
May 31, 2011, 05:53 PM

Really? I have been following the guy for long. Never felt that.

But thanks for the tip; I'll keep that in mind. :)

Žalgiris
May 31, 2011, 05:55 PM
What you said, what I said, and what you said are all the exact same thing as tweets.

So you are really going to play this game huh.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 05:56 PM

I have a twitter account but I have it private and use it to only talk to a few people. It is better than email because conversations are easier to follow between multiple parties without you losing context. And it is better than IM or chat rooms because it has some permanence/you can be offline. And I absolutely do not trust Facebook (I have an account because you need to these days since it is unfortunately used to organize events).

Basically, the thing I dislike the most about Twitter is how it feels like you're shouting everything at any random person on the street.

So you are really going to play this game huh.

Just curious, do you take issue with the whole personality cult that Twitter encourages or something else?

ten-oak-druid
May 31, 2011, 05:57 PM
And if the phone providers have their way, sending a tweet will count as a text message. All of the providers are colluding to fix prices. Thieves!

FatMax
May 31, 2011, 05:59 PM
....*snip*

Basically, the thing I dislike the most about Twitter is how it feels like you're shouting everything at any random person on the street.

Haha, this made my day. It´s the excact same feeling i have about it, but I´ve never been able to explain it so simple and well!

Žalgiris
May 31, 2011, 06:03 PM
Just curious, do you take issue with the whole personality cult that Twitter encourages or something else?

For the most part. I still consider twitter being ok, but facebbok i hate with passion for real.

AppleDroid
May 31, 2011, 06:05 PM
For the most part. I still consider twitter being ok, but facebbok i hate with passion for real.

Funny, I am the complete opposite. Most of the pro's (in my field) I follow just have auto-updating spambots posting constant updates. That and every time I get @ replies from someone "famous" I just end up with 20 more spam tweets I have to manually block.

Facebook on the other hand allows me to keep regular contact with friends, family and colleagues all over the globe.

AppleDroid
May 31, 2011, 06:07 PM
I also vote to hell with adding twitter/social media stuff get to work on stealing webOS's notification system already. The current system needs to go away.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 06:07 PM

I'm with you on that one. Twitter at least has a private mode (even though it is a bit glunky) so you don't have to participate in the noise if you don't want to.

Frankly, we badly need an email 2.0. We might as well still be running around using Gopher instead of web browsers.

Funny, I am the complete opposite. Most of the pro's (in my field) I follow just have auto-updating spambots posting constant updates. That and every time I get @ replies from someone "famous" I just end up with 20 more spam tweets I have to manually block.

Facebook on the other hand allows me to keep regular contact with friends, family and colleagues all over the globe.

Facebook has pretty much the same feature set as Twitter (Facebook copies about every social network so it isn't a surprise). This includes following people who spam their feeds.

The real question should be do you trust Facebook with your personal info.

Xelnaga15
May 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
So you take Facebook and ripout every feature other than your own wall feed and call it twitter? I just dont understand the allure of twitter. there better be a way to disable/REMOVE this. the thought of my phone's CPU cycles or screen pixel drawlings being wasted on anything twitter angers me.

cooldaddybeck
May 31, 2011, 06:09 PM
*yawn*

Twitter: the ASUS of the social media world. It's cute how they try, but when it comes down to it, their bizarre functionality just doesn't serve the users very well.
:rolleyes:

Small White Car
May 31, 2011, 06:11 PM

I'm the opposite because I find Facebook useless since you need to "friend" people you already know before you can really do anything with them.

Twitter, on the other hand, is useful constantly. I was going to an attraction on Sunday that I knew would be busy. (And was an hour drive away.) I searched and found someone on Twitter who had tweeted about being in the line. I asked him how long it was and he told me "about 30 minutes."

So I felt safe that it wouldn't be a super-long line and I decided to go.

Google can't tell me that. My aunt on Facebook can't tell me that. E-Mail can't do that.

Twitter is an incredibly useful tool for learning real-time information that no one else has. How people can dislike that sort of utility really does confuse me.

AgentElliot007
May 31, 2011, 06:11 PM
I wonder if we'll see something like a "Social Center" if we're thinking along the naming scheme of "Game Center." An integrated one-stop app that unifies everything in an Appleish sort of way...

NAG
May 31, 2011, 06:12 PM
So you take Facebook and ripout every feature other than your own wall feed and call it twitter? I just dont understand the allure of twitter. there better be a way to disable/REMOVE this. the thought of my phone's CPU cycles or screen pixel drawlings being wasted on anything twitter angers me.

Like the Youtube features I doubt your phone will be calling Twitter unless you tell it to. It isn't like they're forcing you to get an account.

AppleDroid
May 31, 2011, 06:13 PM
Twitter is an incredibly useful tool for learning real-time information that no one else has. How people can dislike that sort of utility really does confuse me.

Never said I didn't like it I just find it's usefulness to me very limited.

Small White Car
May 31, 2011, 06:15 PM
Never said I didn't like it I just find it's usefulness to me very limited.

Yes, I replied to you but that comment was really more for the people who literally said they didn't like it.

ARF900
May 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
Id rather have it go to facebook. Who wants twitter?

NAG
May 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
I'm the opposite because I find Facebook useless since you need to "friend" people you already know before you can really do anything with them.

Twitter, on the other hand, is useful constantly. I was going to an attraction on Sunday that I knew would be busy. (And was an hour drive away.) I searched and found someone on Twitter who had tweeted about being in the line. I asked him how long it was and he told me "about 30 minutes."

So I felt safe that it wouldn't be a super-long line and I decided to go.

Google can't tell me that. My aunt on Facebook can't tell me that. E-Mail can't do that.

I think the issue here is that Twitter is somewhat bass ackwards compared to a lot of social interaction. Most people are not comfortable with talking to random people if they overhear something interesting. Your example was great in this regard. You contacted someone you didn't know to ask them about some random thing they told the entire world about. This system requires people to be extremely liberal with sharing relatively useless information as well as being okay with talking to these people if that thing is interesting.

Think of it like this. It would be like coming here for technical support and instead of posting your question you find someone who talked about repairing their own computer and ask them for help. It is effective, but backwards from how we usually approach things (essentially, it requires more effort).

Id rather have it go to facebook. Who wants twitter?

Facebook probably wants all the info Apple has about you for that deal. I'm not comfortable with that.

Dagless
May 31, 2011, 06:20 PM
Cool, I guess! The Twitter app is already quite good and saves photos to the library as well as uploading.

bushido
May 31, 2011, 06:21 PM
i hope we r getting those rumored widgets so i can have my latest facebook updates and twitter feeds always waiting for me without having to open the actual app first (and no, its not battery consuming + u have to charge it every night as it is anyway so who cares), and yes i'm damn serious. the huge lockscreen has been useless for too many years already

Small White Car
May 31, 2011, 06:23 PM
I think the issue here is that Twitter is somewhat bass ackwards compared to a lot of social interaction. Most people are not comfortable with talking to random people if they overhear something interesting.

Yes, I think so.

I've always said that Facebook is for liking people you know and Twitter is for hoping that total strangers like you.

I think people's personalities go one way or the other. If you hate public speaking or making a scene in public then you're probably more into Facebook. If you want to be a stand-up comedian or are someone who talks to strangers all day long then Twitter's probably more your thing.

I meet a lot of people who really like one or the other. Very few are in equally in love with both.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 06:27 PM
Yes, I think so.

I've always said that Facebook is for liking people you know and Twitter is for hoping that total strangers like you.

I think people's personalities go one way or the other. If you hate public speaking or making a scene in public then you're probably more into Facebook. If you want to be a stand-up comedian or are someone who talks to strangers all day long then Twitter's probably more your thing.

I meet a lot of people who really like one or the other. Very few are in equally in love with both.

Yeah, honestly I probably would be all over Twitter if it came out in my formative years. But all I had back then were message boards so here I am.

Now get off my lawn!

gkpm
May 31, 2011, 06:33 PM
So can I throw a wild guess out there that Apple will use Twitter as a basis for an instant messaging service, similar in function to BBM, using Twitter's Direct Message system plus the new photo service?

Plus you get to text other public Twitter ids.

Could work actually.

Reach9
May 31, 2011, 06:34 PM
Twitter and Facebook are only as bad as you use them to be.
It's how you use Twitter which matters.

I use Twitter to speak with developers, news anchors, news stations. I don't interact with them because I like them or anything.
I use it to be informed about a huge variety of topics, daily. I use it to share news with close friends and family. The potential is amazing, don't be blinded by the tweens who speak with celebs or tweet about how they just woke up from sleep and don't know if they should brush their teeth or not.

Twitter is a very valuable resource for education and information, if you're following the right people or organizations on Twitter.
I learned about this news post because i'm follow MacRumors on twitter! Otherwise i wouldn't have visited this site until WWDC.

Mind you, i'm barely on Facebook anyway.

sfh
May 31, 2011, 06:35 PM
It IS possible to select for what reasons they email you. For instance you can turn off all emails from Facebook. Quite handy.

Doing this achieves the same objective, but whilst still being tagged in the occasional nostalgic photograph. Win win.

I was going to say it's not really spam if you selected to have them email you about updates. If you turn everything off you wont get any emails from all those pesky people trying to communicate with you lol

smacsteve
May 31, 2011, 06:35 PM
I think we all know why.... Apple and FB have been in feud for some time.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 06:39 PM
The potential is amazing, don't be blinded by the tweens who speak with celebs or tweet about how they just woke up from sleep and don't know if they should brush their teeth or not.

That truly is the issue with Twitter. Most Twitter traffic is personality cult BS. Essentially, most people are using Twitter incorrectly. Which is kind of funny when you think about it. Anyway, I chalk it up to inexperience with social interaction on the net that will hopefully be corrected over time.

gkpm
May 31, 2011, 06:39 PM
I think we all know why.... Apple and FB have been in feud for some time.

Facebook is clearly going with Microsoft for Windows Phone and little else. No surprise since MS got their investment in them quite early.

djrobsd
May 31, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm going to be highly annoyed if they include this but not Facebook. Droids have had direct integration with Facebook since day 1, yet something as simple as sending a photo to Facebook requires either a tedious process, or buying a 3r d party app like Camera+ to send your photos to Facebook..

I also hope if they have multiple options like Twitter and Facebook that we can "opt" out of those we don't use, like Twitter, so my screen isn't littered with a bunch of buttons for services I don't use...

*LTD*
May 31, 2011, 06:44 PM

This "social BS" needs to be addressed at some point.

Twitter is HUGE. Its integration can only be useful.

Rest assured, Apple's also attending to "other pressing matters." I'm told there are several people developing iOS. ;)

NAG
May 31, 2011, 06:44 PM
Facebook is clearly going with Microsoft for Windows Phone and little else. No surprise since MS got their investment in them quite early.

They're pushing Bing Facebook integration hard too.

I think it will be very interesting to see what happens if Ballmer really is kicked out since this sort of stuff is really bleeding Microsoft. (I use Bing because I'm frankly tired of SEO junk results spamming up Google result pages so don't take this as be being biased one way or another.)

wtmcgee
May 31, 2011, 06:49 PM

So says the guy on the mac rumors forum :confused:

ten-oak-druid
May 31, 2011, 06:54 PM

Do you really think Apple will set it up so that you must use twitter? How could your phone even go out and gather twitter information on a regular basis like you are suggesting without you first entering twitter account information?

If you decide not to use mobileme does your mac get bogged down checking an idisk? No.

It will be an option for people who want to use it.

As for twitter itself, I don't really use it but I can see possible uses for it. If you had to travel and your family wanted to read your quick comments. It would be faster to post small comments than to compose email. But otherwise I can't see checking the tweets of people I see everyday or famous people just to find out they are shopping or doing laundry.

Reach9
May 31, 2011, 06:54 PM
That truly is the issue with Twitter. Most Twitter traffic is personality cult BS. Essentially, most people are using Twitter incorrectly. Which is kind of funny when you think about it. Anyway, I chalk it up to inexperience with social interaction on the net that will hopefully be corrected over time.

Yeah you're right. But good thing is that you don't see what these tweens, or anyone in general tweet about on your feed, unless you're following them (kinda like friending someone on Facebook).

Although i don't think Twitter can replace messaging boards like this. It's just not the same and it never will be. Twitter is useful for it's own purpose.

ciTiger
May 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
Twitter and not facebook? hard to believe...

Carl Sagan
May 31, 2011, 06:59 PM

He seems to lay a ground for the discussion where twitter could act as a system level service. You might want to update the OP again.

I like the idea of deeper integration system wide for Twitter and Facebook if it means i can use 'Share via' in new apps (like news apps) off the bat without having to input my details for every single one or update each one every time I change passwords...

The Phazer
May 31, 2011, 07:00 PM
While this could be great, I hope there's some elegant handling of multiple accounts...

Optimus Frag
May 31, 2011, 07:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple bought Twitter or something?

PBF
May 31, 2011, 07:08 PM
Just because you've got less than 50 followers and less then 100 friends on Facebook doesn't mean it's a "social BS". :D

AbstractMonkeys
May 31, 2011, 07:09 PM
Twitter is a beautiful thing--it's like a grease trap for the internet. Everyone can babble away about nothing and it's easy for me to ignore it all.

I'm all for including functionality that people want in iOS, but please, just give me a setting so I can turn it off. I do not want to stare at Twitter and Facebook logos on the first page of every single app I have! Thank you.

May 31, 2011, 07:10 PM
Guess I'm getting to old for this - Due to pressure from friends I tried Facebook and I tried Twitter, .... just didn't see any value in it and deleted the accounts again. I just found 99% garbage on there and the 1% of useful stuff I also find somewhere else. I for example don't need 'facebook email' to stay in touch - thats why I have a real email account, but it seems that many kids don't even know that email exists outside of facebook. I mean, getting an email on my 'real' email account that I have an email in facebook so I have to log into facebook to read my email? ... I prefer reading the email right away. And don't even get me started on Twitter, seems so useless.

gkpm
May 31, 2011, 07:13 PM
So that's why Philip Schiller, Scott Forstall and others joined Twitter

Now it all makes sense.

Can anyone find Steve Jobs's real account? :-)

Friscohoya
May 31, 2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah, honestly I probably would be all over Twitter if it came out in my formative years. But all I had back then were message boards so here I am.

Now get off my lawn!

Excellent you old fogey!

NAG
May 31, 2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah you're right. But good thing is that you don't see what these tweens, or anyone in general tweet about on your feed, unless you're following them (kinda like friending someone on Facebook).

Although i don't think Twitter can replace messaging boards like this. It's just not the same and it never will be. Twitter is useful for it's own purpose.

I agree that messaging boards will still exist (I mean, we're here). They do a slightly different task. It is all about signal to noise. Twitter encourages a low signal to noise because they assume everyone knows how to find what they want. Message boards enforce a high signal to noise (deleting spam and whatnot) because they want useful information easy to find but at the same time might remove potentially useful information that may not be immediately relevant. A messy and probably inaccurate way to think of it is how there are newspapers and textbooks.

Oh and, AbstractMonkeys, I hear they'll also have a picture of a strawman that you can't skip either. Truly horrifying. :p

acslater017
May 31, 2011, 07:25 PM

Yea, you probably don't understand Twitter if you think it's the exact same thing as a forum

eoin3-
May 31, 2011, 07:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Yeah! organizing Faces and places on the phone would be great! Maybe the more you organize with Faces your iPhone starts to recognize recurring people as you photograph them and starts to file them automatically.

caspersoong
May 31, 2011, 07:39 PM
Not many use twitter here. So Apple is still focusing on US and neglecting everyone else.

gkpm
May 31, 2011, 07:57 PM
Not many use twitter here. So Apple is still focusing on US and neglecting everyone else.

I know many other countries than the US that use Twitter... Actually the US isn't even one of the biggest users. See here:

http://www.comscoredatamine.com/2011/02/the-netherlands-leads-global-markets-in-twitter-reach/

squirrellydw
May 31, 2011, 08:09 PM
Great bloatware built in to iOS. I love apple and iOS but don't build it in.

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 08:15 PM
I cant understand the Twitter craze...

Im too busy following a 2 year old around the house, no time to follow Lady Ga Ga as well:p

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 08:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Yeah! organizing Faces and places on the phone would be great! Maybe the more you organize with Faces your iPhone starts to recognize recurring people as you photograph them and starts to file them automatically.

And heres another crazy idea...how about letting me rotate photos on my iPad. Yeesh

Reach9
May 31, 2011, 08:24 PM
Guess I'm getting to old for this - Due to pressure from friends I tried Facebook and I tried Twitter, .... just didn't see any value in it and deleted the accounts again. I just found 99% garbage on there and the 1% of useful stuff I also find somewhere else. I for example don't need 'facebook email' to stay in touch - thats why I have a real email account, but it seems that many kids don't even know that email exists outside of facebook. I mean, getting an email on my 'real' email account that I have an email in facebook so I have to log into facebook to read my email? ... I prefer reading the email right away. And don't even get me started on Twitter, seems so useless.

What didn't you enjoy about Twitter, how did you find it useless? I'm just curious.

jj32328
May 31, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why twitter? Well I guess it makes sense but why not add the other social sites too? Facebook, flicker, photobucket.. Or make it an option in the settings to choose which ones you want to come up when the sub menu appears...

HMFIC03
May 31, 2011, 08:40 PM
god how i hate all this social bs. Like there are no other pressing matters to attend.

+1

HMFIC03
May 31, 2011, 08:43 PM
Just because you've got less than 50 followers and less then 100 friends on Facebook doesn't mean it's a "social BS". :D

You have 100,000 followers – congrats! Unfortunately, it’s over inflated your ego and value. Sorry to say but just because you have a massive following doesn’t mean you’re an influencer. Millions follow celebrities that have nothing to say – I think we could agree that peoples egos get a little overblown.

gabehoffman
May 31, 2011, 08:48 PM
I think he's referring to an updated and revamped notification system. Imagine that your phone has it's own twitter account of sort and right there in your twitter feed you could see those notifications pop up in there. That'd be my bet for something much more impressive you could do with twitter baked into the OS. And yes, Facebook would follow suit, but doing it with twitter first would force FB to come to the table to compete and this would be just like Apple to slight them for pulling FB integration with Ping. You don't have to like it to know what apple would do.

HMFIC03
May 31, 2011, 08:50 PM
I think he's referring to an updated and revamped notification system. Imagine that your phone has it's own twitter account of sort and right there in your twitter feed you could see those notifications pop up in there. That'd be my bet for something much more impressive you could do with twitter baked into the OS. And yes, Facebook would follow suit, but doing it with twitter first would force FB to come to the table to compete and this would be just like Apple to slight them for pulling FB integration with Ping. You don't have to like it to know what apple would do.

Good call on the FB integration with Ping slight, I can definitely see that happening.

Whozown
May 31, 2011, 09:09 PM
Keep Facebook and YouTube, no one cares about normal people tweets, twitter is for celebrities.

Mr. Gates
May 31, 2011, 09:39 PM
I was really hoping Twitter would die :(

Reach9
May 31, 2011, 10:49 PM
Why all this Twitter hate guys?

rockosmodurnlif
May 31, 2011, 11:18 PM
I don't need twitter integration in my OS, I have an app for that. I don't need facebook integration in my OS, I have an app for that.

grapefruitx
Jun 1, 2011, 12:54 AM
IOS Needs better integration of Messaging, Addresses and phone functionality, it would seem sensible to hook in stuff like twitter (but not elusively) as well.

mnemonix
Jun 1, 2011, 01:33 AM
Why all this Twitter hate guys?

I'm not going to enter into a pointless critique of Twitter, to each his or her own, but I no more want nor see the need to integrate it into my phone's OS than Plurk, MySpace or FaceBook. They are 3rd party websites/social hubs which may be of interest or use to some but not everyone; none of them represent a standard of any kind. If we want to use them we have a browser or apps. What next? OS integrated MacRumors?

scrm
Jun 1, 2011, 03:10 AM
Throwing this out there: aside from the obvious ways of integrating Twitter into IOS (ŕ-la-MobileMe), could IOS use Twitter somehow for its revamped notifications system?

How could it look? Pros/cons?

sameday
Jun 1, 2011, 03:46 AM
I don’t see many people using Twitter to upload their photos. I use Photobucket and it is all I need.

gkpm
Jun 1, 2011, 04:13 AM
I don’t see many people using Twitter to upload their photos. I use Photobucket and it is all I need.

That may be because Twitter's photo service is only being launched today?

Cod3rror
Jun 1, 2011, 05:25 AM
If you have the Twitter app installed on your BlackBerry, the "send to twitter" option becomes available right in the camera app. It is EXTREMELY convenient, so it would be great if it came to iOS.

If it works like it'll be great, but I don't want it to be always integrated even if I don't have Twitter installed.

roadbloc
Jun 1, 2011, 06:12 AM
I remember when iPhoto was rumoured Twitter integration back in the days of 10.5.x. Never happened.

Jun 1, 2011, 06:30 AM
IOS Needs better integration of Messaging, Addresses and phone functionality, it would seem sensible to hook in stuff like twitter (but not elusively) as well.

100% agree ... there are things that need to be improved with a higher priority than twitter integration. I don't mind if they integrate twitter as long as there is an easy option to turn it off so that it doesn't appear anywhere. That way whoever needs Twitter can use it and the rest can ignore it. But please improve other things in the OS too.

BlindMellon
Jun 1, 2011, 06:31 AM

My god you are so right. Of course Apple will call the simple inclusion of folders in the photo app "revolutionary".

I find Twitter infuriating because it's like listening to 1/2 a conversation. "@bob ya, that was some thing that went on over there"

That and I don't really care that @joebob is thinking about getting some pizza.

Thunderhawks
Jun 1, 2011, 07:19 AM
Twitter. How thrilling.

Exactly!

Maybe it's a sign of being old.

The way the younger generation compromises its privacy with Facebook or Twitter is amazing to me.

Old geezer here wants to be left alone, don't want to be bothering others with my stuff. Constantly refusing to be "friends" or being in LINKEDin.

How ahead of the times was this:

I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
Groucho Marx

Thunderhawks
Jun 1, 2011, 07:23 AM
I don't need twitter integration in my OS, I have an app for that. I don't need facebook integration in my OS, I have an app for that.

+1
Prefer if this would be done via an app, as it bloats the OS, same for other things like this.

Since this "feature" takes up space in the OS, I think it should at least come with an option in settings to switch it off.

MattInOz
Jun 1, 2011, 07:49 AM

Here is where exactly? Or even vaguely?:D
Your post contains no reference to location other than outside US.
I'm guessing Canada?

Rot'nApple
Jun 1, 2011, 07:51 AM
Hey, his account got "hacked"

The Rep. from NY IS a hack! :rolleyes:
/
/
/

Meandmunch
Jun 1, 2011, 08:32 AM

Agreed. I want to pick what compiles this list of choices.

bushido
Jun 1, 2011, 08:47 AM

but thats annoying, u have to actually open the damn app every single time.

i still hope those WIDGET rumors r true or its back to jailbreaking, i cant live without a quick look at emails, weather etc on my lockscreen which has been kept useless by apple for the last 4 years.

Xelnaga15
Jun 1, 2011, 10:44 AM
Do you really think Apple will set it up so that you must use twitter? How could your phone even go out and gather twitter information on a regular basis like you are suggesting without you first entering twitter account information?

If you decide not to use mobileme does your mac get bogged down checking an idisk? No.

It will be an option for people who want to use it.

As for twitter itself, I don't really use it but I can see possible uses for it. If you had to travel and your family wanted to read your quick comments. It would be faster to post small comments than to compose email. But otherwise I can't see checking the tweets of people I see everyday or famous people just to find out they are shopping or doing laundry.

*sigh* I know that, I am referring to just the fact of the CPU THINKING about just the button and the screen drawling the button with the word twitter. those facts alone anger me.

louis Fashion
Jun 1, 2011, 01:20 PM
Twitter is reducing the attention span of American youth. (how many characters was that?) anyway, oh I forget. Hey look something over there is shining.

Zcott
Jun 1, 2011, 01:54 PM
Not sure why all the Twitter hate. First medium to show pictures of the Hudson plane crash, a tool for mobilising populations against authoritarian regimes, and a way for me to keep up with friends and colleagues. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean no one should have it in iOS.

strabes
Jun 1, 2011, 02:58 PM
Why doesn't Apple have an API that lets apps add their functions to the camera roll share menu? Seems more powerful and Apple wouldnt have to update iOS for something like this. It would be way easier to post a photo to twitter, facebook, or upload it to dropbox if I didnt have to take the pic with the camera app, switch to the facebook app or whatever, and upload it. Just take the pic, hit the share button, tap Facebook or Twitter.

louis Fashion
Jun 1, 2011, 03:49 PM

Why don't you list your location? Then your comments would be somewhat rational.

ellsworth
Jun 1, 2011, 04:05 PM
How about getting rid of Social Networking integration all together and start getting a life? :D

scottparker999
Jun 1, 2011, 07:08 PM
How about getting rid of Social Networking integration all together and start getting a life? :D

By virtue of being here, you have no life. :D

unlinked
Jun 1, 2011, 08:14 PM
Agreed. I want to pick what compiles this list of choices.

I presume it will be the same as Android. Apps that mark themselves as able to share images will automatically be in the menu. A twitter specific hardcode would be kinda lame.

Applepi
Jun 2, 2011, 07:06 PM
I hope this comes to reality, seems pretty darn useful.

striven
Jun 3, 2011, 11:45 PM
With all this talk of Twitter integration to iOS5. My take is that the text app on the IPhone may be replaced.

jozzy
Jun 12, 2011, 03:50 AM
love to see twitter widget showing updates on the homescreen. Even after jailbreaking i failed to find a widget on Cydia.