PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases WWDC App for iOS Devices

MacRumors
Jun 2, 2011, 01:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/02/apple-releases-wwdc-app-for-ios-devices/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc2011_app_photos.jpg

Apple today released a new iOS app [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wwdc/id437129891?mt=8)] to assist attendees at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference next week. The app provides a number of scheduling and informational items including news and photos from the conference, as well as the ability to make reservations to meet with Apple staff at various labs throughout the conference.The WWDC 2011 app is your mobile guide to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. Access a range of conference information on-the-go from your iPhone or iPad. You can quickly search the conference schedule, make a reservation at the User Interface, App Review, iTunes Connect, Program Support, or Developer Publications lab, view floor diagrams of Moscone West, and create a custom schedule of the sessions, labs, and events you plan on attending.WWDC is a universal application supporting all iOS devices running iOS 4.2 or later.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/wwdc2011_app_reservations.jpg

Article Link: Apple Releases WWDC App for iOS Devices (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/02/apple-releases-wwdc-app-for-ios-devices/)

42streetsdown
Jun 2, 2011, 01:14 PM
is this a new thing this year?

pbush25
Jun 2, 2011, 01:14 PM
No one can download it because of the 5002 error in itunes! Me anyways...

Zerafiall
Jun 2, 2011, 01:29 PM
Humm... It won't work. I hit "Free" then "Install" then type in my password, hit enter, the app closes as usual, then nothing no scroll to next page and download.

Note: I am not attending the WWDC, if this is why I can't get it, that makes sence.

iPad 2 (16GB, WiFi only) - iPod Shuffle (2ed Gen, 1GB)

pbush25
Jun 2, 2011, 01:30 PM
Note: I am not attending the WWDC, if this is why I can't get it, that makes sence.

That's not it. Their servers are down. I'm on the phone with them right now.

MasterHowl
Jun 2, 2011, 01:33 PM

phew! thought it was just me!

pbush25
Jun 2, 2011, 01:37 PM
phew! thought it was just me!

Nah you're good! Unfortunately, they didn't give me an ETA or anything, and they don't seem to know what the issue is, so I can't give you a timeframe or anything.

Trooperof3
Jun 2, 2011, 01:37 PM
Nerdiest app yet?

Come on... Download already

Zerafiall
Jun 2, 2011, 01:39 PM

Haha, great thank : )

Zerafiall
Jun 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
is this a new thing this year?

Yes, they didn't have anything like this last year,

Zyg4
Jun 2, 2011, 01:52 PM
Both, Canadian and American stores are acting up. Can't update apps, download, nothing, and they keep asking for password.

DrBashir
Jun 2, 2011, 02:00 PM
Both, Canadian and American stores are acting up. Can't update apps, download, nothing, and they keep asking for password.

The Dutch store as well, also getting error 5002. I've seen on different forum that UK store has the same error (today, I checked).

Zerafiall
Jun 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hey, I can download it now!

Zerafiall
Jun 2, 2011, 02:07 PM
http://db.tt/dyZpKK1

Nevermind : (

Merthyrboy
Jun 2, 2011, 02:11 PM
When you download it you need to be attending wwdc to actually see any of the information.

rorschach
Jun 2, 2011, 02:22 PM
Wow, they already have photos of WWDC 2011 before it's even happened! :rolleyes: ;)

bmburton13
Jun 2, 2011, 02:30 PM
I wish this wasn't just for attendees, I would love to see some pictures of it while its going on.

spillproof
Jun 2, 2011, 02:34 PM
Access is limited to WWDC attendees only via Apple ID verification.

Oh well, at least the icon is fun to look at.

Laird Knox
Jun 2, 2011, 03:07 PM
Would be nice if they had a keynote app for watching the streaming feeds. :)

Megagator
Jun 2, 2011, 03:13 PM
Everything works fine for me...:cool:

RodThePlod
Jun 2, 2011, 04:34 PM

Back in the dim and distant past, before these new-fangled connected iPhones and iPads, I used to run a website called 'expodition' that allowed you to download guides like this and use them on your iPods.

It used the iPod's 'Notes' feature and would enable you to view schedules and stuff on your iPod simply by downloading the file, connecting your iPod to your PC/Mac in disk mode, and copying it on.

WWDC was a popular one, but also other destinations and attractions, too.

Ahhhh... memories...

RTP.

Alexander
Jun 2, 2011, 05:33 PM

Uh, yeah they did. It was distributed only to attendees either via email or the developer download site, I forget which, and you had to install it manually via iTunes.

twoodcc
Jun 2, 2011, 05:44 PM
i'm glad to see apple doing this. too bad i'm not attending though. maybe one day...

Applepi
Jun 2, 2011, 07:05 PM
Looks like a cool app, sure wish I could attend and use it.

admanimal
Jun 2, 2011, 07:34 PM

They most certainly did have this exact thing last year. The only difference, if I remember correctly, is that you had to install it in an Ad Hoc sort of manner rather than via the App Store.

SockRolid
Jun 2, 2011, 07:37 PM
[...] WWDC is a universal application supporting all iOS devices running iOS 4.2 or later. [...]

It'll be awesome to see this through Apple TV on my 60" Sony SXRD HDTV set.

Oh. Wait...

intelliot
Jun 2, 2011, 08:32 PM
Uh, yeah they did. It was distributed only to attendees either via email or the developer download site, I forget which, and you had to install it manually via iTunes.

Correct, they definitely had this last year. I used the WWDC 2010 app. This new app looks very similar, and has very similar functionality. The main difference I've seen so far is that this year, it's on the App Store; whereas last year, it was distributed on the iOS Developer Portal (then called the iPhone Developer Portal).

Repo
Jun 2, 2011, 10:16 PM
Perhaps an app with a live feed of the event? :3

bbeagle
Jun 3, 2011, 07:55 AM
Correct, they definitely had this last year. I used the WWDC 2010 app. This new app looks very similar, and has very similar functionality. The main difference I've seen so far is that this year, it's on the App Store; whereas last year, it was distributed on the iOS Developer Portal (then called the iPhone Developer Portal).

I went to WWDC 2009. That was the first year they had an iPhone app.

michaelsviews
Jun 3, 2011, 09:48 AM
Can't access , guess since I'm not an attendy I'm not allowed to see anything:(

caspersoong
Jun 4, 2011, 02:57 AM
So it is useless for non-attendees?

luke.mac1
Jun 4, 2011, 08:05 AM
I wish this wasn't just for attendees, I would love to see some pictures of it while its going on.

Me too! I got excited for a minute there, only to be greeted by the login screen when the app opened :(

nissan0703
Jun 4, 2011, 05:20 PM
hi

I can't find the WWDC app to download on itunes. Is it for attendees only?

howard

res1233
Jun 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
hi

I can't find the WWDC app to download on itunes. Is it for attendees only?

howard

No. It's there. I have it on my iPhone, not that I can use it or anything... Anyone can download it, but only attendees can login and access the content. Maybe that'll change in the future, never know. I could easily see them using the app as a way to access the Live Stream of the keynote. Makes too much sense for them not to add it at some point in the future.

G4Powermac
Jun 6, 2011, 07:00 AM
The app is only useful for those going to wwdc. And can not be used by anyone else. Useless:mad: