Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcitynj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
NYC
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased an MBA 11" Ultimate. I am super happy with the computer for all the obvious reasons. I anticipated it use being primarily mobility based. Since purchasing I haven't turned on any of my other computers (A1181 & iBook G4).

Granted the iBook is pretty old, but my A1181 has been upgraded with 2GB Ram and a 500 GB WD HDD.

The MBA is so quick from sleep to function, and overall just runs circles around the others. I felt that the screen may be too small for extended use. But I was wrong, the higher resolution makes me not even notice that the screen is only 11in.

I have a 24" LCD external, coupled with the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad. I have only hooked the MBA up to theses once (just to see if it worked).

The MBA only has a 128 GB of storage, I do keep the computer running fairly light. I have a 500 GB external for pics, vids, .docs, etc.

My question is - What to do with my old hardware? Sell the A1181? Use it as some sort of file sharing server?

I would love to hear some ideas from the forum of what you would do with the extras. Oh and if you are interested, I could sell on ebay, or amazon if someone could use them.

--
jcitynj

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I've been looking for an excuse to do this as well .... I do light CS4 work and mid level FCS (mainly FCP, DVDSP, and Compressor) stuff. Not sure if the current incarnation would fair well enough. I'm anxious to see the updated specs for the new Airs.

If I could replace my desktop and current laptop with a single solution in the Air's format that would flat out rock!

mactouros

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
You could set up the MacBook as a server. I have an old Mac Mini that my printers are hooked up to so I can print wirelessly from my iPhone, iPad, and my MacBook (when j had my MacBook). You could also use it for your iTunes media and either use that as your MBA's library or do sharing. You could do CD/DVD sharing, too since the MBA doesn't have that.

Good to know an A1181 user is happy with the MBA. I just gave my A1181 to my nephew since I'm planning on getting one of the MBA's soon. I also upgraded the RAM and HD. I'm worried about how I'm going to adapt to the MBA's 128gb.

jcitynj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
NYC
You could set up the MacBook as a server. I have an old Mac Mini that my printers are hooked up to so I can print wirelessly from my iPhone, iPad, and my MacBook (when j had my MacBook). You could also use it for your iTunes media and either use that as your MBA's library or do sharing. You could do CD/DVD sharing, too since the MBA doesn't have that.

Good to know an A1181 user is happy with the MBA. I just gave my A1181 to my nephew since I'm planning on getting one of the MBA's soon. I also upgraded the RAM and HD. I'm worried about how I'm going to adapt to the MBA's 128gb.

I try to keep the MBA with about 90-100 GB free. It's a bit of a struggle coming from the 500GB.

I like the idea of using it for storage and sharing. I guess it makes sense to keep it around the CD/DVD drive. Do you know if you can use it as an AppleTV or sort? Or maybe its just best to use it for HD digital movie storage.

mactouros

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
I have another Mini that's hooked up to my tv (HDMI) and using a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I never considered doing that with my MacBook, but if they make an adapter that would work great. I know I love it. If the cost of the video adapter is close to the cost of an AppleTV, I'd opt to get an AppleTV to stream media to the tv from the A1181. Hmm I don't know how attached you are to your iBook, but that could finance your AppleTV. :).

I upgraded my A1181 to 750gb and put the 120gb in my Mac mini. It's iTunes and iPhoto that's taking up space for me.

I try to keep the MBA with about 90-100 GB free. It's a bit of a struggle coming from the 500GB.

I like the idea of using it for storage and sharing. I guess it makes sense to keep it around the CD/DVD drive. Do you know if you can use it as an AppleTV or sort? Or maybe its just best to use it for HD digital movie storage.

jcitynj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
NYC
Sell them all,anywhere you can,enjoy what you have, it's the best of all worlds ;-)

I am a fan of this idea.

Plus what is the point of having a MBA for mobility and agility when you are being weighed down by older hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.