PDA

View Full Version : New quadcore iMac With Mbox Pro 2 FireWire Help!

Flyin Ryan
Jun 6, 2011, 06:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just got the new 21.5" iMac and I have the Mbox pro 2. Would one of these 9 pin to 6 pin firewire adapters work? And also, which version of Pro Tools is needed? I currently have 7.3. If I download PT8 will that include all the needed CoreAudio drivers? Thanks!!

teleromeo
Jun 6, 2011, 07:19 AM
I googled an image of the said mbox and as far as I can see all you need is a simple firewire 800 to 400 adapter. Costs less than 10 euro/dollar. If you have an external firewire400/800 drive maybe there is a way to connect to that drive instead.

Fishrrman
Jun 6, 2011, 09:24 AM
"I just got the new 21.5" iMac and I have the Mbox pro 2. Would one of these 9 pin to 6 pin firewire adapters work? And also, which version of Pro Tools is needed? I currently have 7.3. If I download PT8 will that include all the needed CoreAudio drivers"

Go here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10301
...and scroll down to 9-6 pin cables.
This is what you need.

Can't help with which version of ProTools is needed (I'm not a PT user). But other DAW apps should work, as well, such as GarageBand, etc.

To my knowledge, the "CORE Audio drivers" are a part of the Mac OS software. The beauty of this is that firewire devices that are "CORE audio compliant" don't need driver software -- you just plug them in and the Mac should recognize their presence automatically. It's been that way with both the Presonus Firebox and the Echo AudioFire8 that I've used -- just plug them in, and they "show up" immediately in "AudioMIDI Setup" and are accessible to my DAW apps.

Having said that, it's _possible_ that the Mbox Pro needs its own drivers. But if it's CORE Audio compliant, doesn't it "show up" as is?

Flyin Ryan
Jun 6, 2011, 03:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I actually do only use logic. I installed pro tools 8 and that included the coreaudio drivers. I supposed I could've selected only the drivers to install but I wanted to be sure. The true test will be when I receive the cable and connect the hardware. I really appreciate the responses.

I'm going to look into an external hard drive first though. That's the route I shouldve gone on my MBP anyway instead of filling my 120gb hd with projects.