PDA

View Full Version : iMac g5- Dual monitor support?

Winstonp
Mar 21, 2005, 02:54 PM
Im interested in an imac g5, but can I use my lcd as a monitor extension?

Chaszmyr
Mar 21, 2005, 02:55 PM
Yes. It requires a "hack" to do, but it can be done and it works well. If you search on these forums, I'm sure it will be easy for you to find out how.

jackieonasses
Mar 21, 2005, 02:56 PM
Im interested in an imac g5, but can I use my lcd as a monitor extension? Yes.. You have to use a hack if you want to use Monitor Spanning.. Google it you will find it.

kyle

here it is (http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html)

tech4all
Mar 21, 2005, 03:00 PM
Also, this hack is not supported my Apple and voids the warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Winstonp
Mar 21, 2005, 03:02 PM
sweet....not bad at all.

How can that void your warranty?

tech4all
Mar 21, 2005, 03:05 PM
How can that void your warranty?

Not really sure other than the fact that it's not supported or isn't guaranteed, but that's what I [thought] read here :D I know some people here have done the hack and would know for sure.

musicpyrite
Mar 21, 2005, 03:15 PM
Also, this hack is not supported my Apple and voids the warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong....

No it doesn't, it's simply a software modification and can be fixed by a simple formatting of the hard drive.

I really do wonder why people see the word 'hack' and imeaditly think it voids the warrantee.

tech4all
Mar 21, 2005, 03:19 PM
No it doesn't, it's simply a software modification and can be fixed by a simple formatting of the hard drive.

You have to reformat the HD to undo it? I thought I read somewhere where you just have to "undo" something in the hack. Man I really made this complicated now :p

I really do wonder why people see the word 'hack' and imeaditly think it voids the warrantee.

Probably because "hack" sounds so mischievous that is sounds as thought it could. But I could have sworn I read that it did void the warranty. Must have been wrong, oh well :o :)

edesignuk
Mar 21, 2005, 03:34 PM
I had this firmware hack applied to an iMac G5 midplane that was sent back to Apple, they never said a word about it.

Winstonp
Mar 21, 2005, 03:54 PM
http://forum.macparts.de/viewtopic.php?t=487

hmmm...anyone else heard this?

Norouzi
Mar 21, 2005, 05:38 PM
Well, since Apple's Warranty is a Hardware warranty and dosen't cover software anyway, I don't see how it would void it. :D

Winstonp
Mar 21, 2005, 07:19 PM
so, should i get an imac g5 and take this risk and dual it out?

it'd be so cool...

Anyone beleive that it isnt permanent?

musicpyrite
Mar 21, 2005, 10:06 PM
You have to reformat the HD to undo it? I thought I read somewhere where you just have to "undo" something in the hack. Man I really made this complicated now :p

Maybe? I've never had any reason to uninstall the hack on my computer, but I've lost the ability to span screens every time I reformat the computer.

Winstonp
Mar 21, 2005, 11:03 PM
what size is your imac? So you're saying that the ability went away with a reformat?

Scottyk9
Mar 21, 2005, 11:35 PM
here's a link to a macworld article regarding this:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edi...nning/index.php

Remember that you have a VGA out... the monitor needs to have a VGA input; if it is DVI only you need an adapter which runs ~$300

I haven't tried the hack, but I have heard that resetting the NVRAM (or whatever it is) restores the iMac to the original state regarding display properties.

Platform
Mar 22, 2005, 02:58 AM

No I think there is a "reverse" function on the app that ley you do it ;)

Winstonp
Mar 22, 2005, 06:39 AM
i just realized something. this software may not work with tiger...

what you all think?

edesignuk
Mar 22, 2005, 07:15 AM
i just realized something. this software may not work with tiger...

what you all think?
I thought it was a firmware hack, which has nothing to do with the OS, there for it should work no matter what OS you have on your system...I think :D

Platform
Mar 22, 2005, 07:32 AM
I thought it was a firmware hack, which has nothing to do with the OS, there for it should work no matter what OS you have on your system...I think :D

Well at least it is advertized as a Firmware hack.
So that should not be bother by the OS then ;)

Winstonp
Mar 22, 2005, 08:55 AM
rea-hea-hea-heally....

so would anyone suggest I don't buy the imac g5 with complete intention to run dual monitors?

Winston

vga4life
Mar 22, 2005, 09:24 AM
Look, people, if you don't know how this "hack" works (it's an Open Firmware patch), don't chime in with ill-informed advice.

You do NOT reverse this patch by formatting the hard disk. The patch is in the firmware and can be reversed by resetting the NVRAM - all you have to do is shut down and hold down Command-Option-P-R while turning on the computer.

It doesn't void your warranty. If you're worried about it, you can reset your firmware before having your computer serviced.

And yes, it works like a champ on the iMac G5. The patch is available as an easy-to-run applescript "Screen Spanning Doctor" available at http://macparts.de/ibook

-vga4life