PDA

View Full Version : Will MobileMe users get refund?

odinsride
Jun 6, 2011, 01:44 PM
I recently renewed my MobileMe subscription a couple months back. Since it's being discontinued and iCloud is free, I feel we should get some kind of refund. Anyone heard anything about this?

ophidean
Jun 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
I Sure hope so. My family pack auto renewed on May 13th.

petvas
Jun 6, 2011, 01:48 PM
Mine ends on June 29th, so I guess there is no need for a refund :)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 6, 2011, 01:48 PM
Nah, I don't want a refund, I want some bonus goodies for subscribers... ;)

aethelbert
Jun 6, 2011, 01:51 PM
My account is prepaid for another fourteen months. I'm not too optimistic in getting anything.

Trance
Jun 6, 2011, 01:55 PM
i doubt it :(
I hope we get to keep the @me. address, I don't like the idea of @icloud.

osxnewbe
Jun 6, 2011, 01:58 PM
You get to keep your @me.com address.

Am I correct in assuming I don't have to worry about renewing my subscription in early August since iCloud is launching this fall?

Also what happens to iDisk?

Bear
Jun 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'm hoping that no one needs to renew after today. My sub expires late June.

iMarcusx
Jun 6, 2011, 02:05 PM
you would think that apple would address this.

macjonny1
Jun 6, 2011, 02:06 PM
I'm keeping my .mac address. That's for only the cool people.

cmyster
Jun 6, 2011, 02:08 PM
I'm fishing for more information on this as well.
My trial mobileme account expires in July so:

1. I'm assuming Apple will not charge me to renew?
2. Will my @me account disappear?

oh the questions...

whathesaid
Jun 6, 2011, 02:09 PM
where do all my iDisk files go? I assume they will be transferred to the new 'iDocument' app...

whathesaid
Jun 6, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'm fishing for more information on this as well.
My trial mobileme account expires in July so:

1. I'm assuming Apple will not charge me to renew?
2. Will my @me account disappear?
3. Will it be @me or @icloud?

oh the questions...

I assume we will keep the @me address...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/wwdc-11-ios5-icloud-10.jpg

JLB-UK
Jun 6, 2011, 02:11 PM
where do all my iDisk files go? I assume they will be transferred to the new 'iDocument' app...

Im currently wondering the same thing? Will they just be deleted or transferred? No one seems to know yet

cmyster
Jun 6, 2011, 02:12 PM
I assume we will keep the @me address...

Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/wwdc-11-ios5-icloud-10.jpg)

Thanks, it's also on their website:

"When you set up iCloud, you get a free me.com email account."

hexonxonx
Jun 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
I renewed less than a month ago.

macjonny1
Jun 6, 2011, 02:18 PM
you all got the iShaft

P51Mustangrulz
Jun 6, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm wondering the same thing - I'm less than half a year into my MobileMe subscription!.

whathesaid
Jun 6, 2011, 02:22 PM
Won't even let me access my account page to see when I renewed, i know it wasn't that long ago.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/69168238.jpg

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 02:23 PM
Apple have just posted this on MobileMe...

Information about the MobileMe transition
Last Modified: June 06, 2011
Article: HT4597

Summary
What's happening to MobileMe?
Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

Products Affected
MobileMe
What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe?
Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, more details and instructions will be provided on how to make the move.

Can I create a new MobileMe account?
You can no longer create a new 60-day trial account or start a new subscription using a code contained in a MobileMe box. However, if you have a Family Pack subscription, you can still create new family member accounts.

Can I upgrade to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage?
Effective June 6, 2011, you can no longer upgrade your Individual account to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage for your MobileMe account.

I purchased a MobileMe box and have not used the activation code inside. Can I get refund for it?
Yes. If you have an unused activation code from a MobileMe box, you can submit a refund request.

Nice, they've extended our membership of something that "ceases to exist". :rolleyes:

Ruahrc
I too wonder how the transitino will work. It's funny because about 3 days ago I got my "don't forget to renew" email from MM. My subscription runs out on July 2nd.

Giving out refunds is going to be tricky because many people bought from different sources. I did not buy a subscription for $99/yr direct from Apple, will I get a prorated refund at the $99/yr rate? I'm surprised when SJ sais MM will cease to exist, he did not even at least acknowledge how the handling of current customers is going to be.

My other question is, what is going to happen to all the other MM features? I regularly use BTMM, is that functionality going to disappear? How about web hosting? What about my iDisk storage? If I had >5GB on my iDisk, do i get cut down? Can I pay for more storage? Is iDisk finally not going to be a crawling mess

Also, since my iPod touch is only 2nd gen and is long ago abandoned by Apple for OS updates, means I can't get contact syncing anymore unless I upgrade to new hardware.

Obviously more info will have to come in the future to address these

Ruahrc

edit: saw the post above mine. Answers some questions, still wondering if things like BTMM will just disappear or if they will continue to exist in some other location/form.

pammyspyce
My MobileMe account expired 3 days ago. I put off renewing for today's event. I hope my account turns into an iCloud account. I don't want to pay $100 for a few months of service. :(

hexonxonx
Jun 6, 2011, 02:24 PM
Apple have just posted this on MobileMe...

Nice, they've extended our membership of something that no longer exists. :confused:

It does exist. After the date posted above, MobileMe will no longer exist. It will exist untill June 2012.

Bear
Jun 6, 2011, 02:25 PM
At http://www.apple.com/mobileme/ it now says:
Looking for MobileMe?
MobileMe is no longer accepting new subscribers. If you’re a current member, you can still access everything as usual through June 30, 2012.
Current members log in here (http://www.me.com/)

whawhat
Jun 6, 2011, 02:26 PM
hoping apple gives a refund or at least an itunes store credit. our family pack just renewed in april.

stofferdk
Jun 6, 2011, 02:27 PM
I am very much hoping apple will make a refund of some kind in iTunes store credit or the like.

I checked my MobileMe settings tab in the system preferences, they already removed the " xxx days left " line.

hexonxonx
Jun 6, 2011, 02:28 PM
hoping apple gives a refund or at least an itunes store credit. our family pack just renewed in april.

No refund, you just get extended to the end of June 2012.

whathesaid
Jun 6, 2011, 02:30 PM
I renewed on April 25th, but my account says it will run until June 30th 2012, which is pretty pointless if we are all shifting over to the cloud this fall :confused:

djransom
Jun 6, 2011, 02:30 PM
I was on a free 60 day trial until the end of this week, but I'm cancelling now and will wait on the iCloud instead.

UPDATE: I just logged in to my account and noticed this message: You can continue to use MobileMe free of charge until Jun 30, 2012.

No need to cancel now.

pammyspyce
Jun 6, 2011, 02:31 PM
I just logged into my MobileMe account and it says "Your subscription has been extended until Jun 30, 2012, at no additional charge."

My account expired 3 days ago. So, so glad I turned off auto-renewal!

h1r0ll3r
Jun 6, 2011, 02:32 PM
Not sure if this has been posted already or not but I logged into my MM account and it's been extended until 6/30/2012 for free. After that, MM goes away forever :( Still get to keep our addresses though.

stofferdk
Jun 6, 2011, 02:32 PM
It says in my online panel:

"Your subscription has been extended until Jun 30, 2012, at no additional charge"

W-T-F? They make it sound as if they offered a bonus solution for us users. Unless it includes the subscription for iTunes Match, they will not see me let it go this easily.

AudioCow
Jun 6, 2011, 02:33 PM
I was on a free 60 day trial until the end of this week, but I'm cancelling now and will wait on the iCloud instead.

Your trial was extended until June 30, 2012.

aethelbert
I see this message, as I had more than one year left on my account.

Your subscription has been extended until Jun 30, 2012, at no additional charge.
Learn More
Your account also has an unused activation code (3MV7ZY8xxxxxxxE) that is eligible for a refund.
You can submit a refund request until Jun 30, 2012.
Request Refund

Eddyisgreat
I renewed on April 25th, but my account says it will run until June 30th 2012, which is pretty pointless if we are all shifting over to the cloud this fall :confused:

Meaning, certain functionality from MobileMe will not be included in iCloud. Atleast that's how I interpret it.

Zeos
Jun 6, 2011, 02:35 PM
- Current users get a free extension to June 30, 2012. Should already be reflected in your account.
- Unused renewal certificates are eligible for a refund
- Cannot change or add email aliases until iCloud is released
- No new 60 day trials
- Can no longer convert regular accounts to family accounts.

wd89
Jun 6, 2011, 02:36 PM
Please - no more iTunes credit!

I have 3 £15 iTunes cards from Birthday/Chritmas unused and about 16 song credits on my account (downloaded an album which wouldn't "process" the songs in iTunes... got the credits but refuse to use iTunes again) :p

I paid cash for MobileMe (if they give a refund, i want cash back!)

blurb23
Jun 6, 2011, 02:36 PM
Not sure if this has been posted already or not but I logged into my MM account and it's been extended until 6/30/2012 for free. After that, MM goes away forever :( Still get to keep our addresses though.

Not to be rude or anything, but what exactly is the point? iCould does everything MobileMe does (did) but better, and for free, right?

whathesaid
Jun 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
Meaning, certain functionality from MobileMe will not be included in iCloud. Atleast that's how I interpret it.

Maybe, i didn't see any 'Find my iPhone' or 'Gallery' in the iCloud.

fkhan3
Jun 6, 2011, 02:38 PM
you all got the iShaft

LOL! you may be right. Sucks for folks who just renewed, I have 3 months left so I'm not expecting much

djransom
Jun 6, 2011, 02:38 PM
Your trial was extended until June 30, 2012.

Thanks I just noticed that when I logged in to cancel.

h1r0ll3r
Jun 6, 2011, 02:39 PM
FYI only. Lots of MM peeps complaining about their accounts, what's Apple going to do now that I've renewed, blah blah blah. Figured someone would like to know.

NightStorm
Jun 6, 2011, 02:39 PM
Pretty disappointed that I paid to renew my family account and basically got 1 month of "premium" service before this happens. I really hope they figure out a way to give us a prorated credit for something.

OllyW
Jun 6, 2011, 02:41 PM
Please - no more iTunes credit!

I have 3 £15 iTunes cards from Birthday/Chritmas unused and about 16 song credits on my account (downloaded an album which wouldn't "process" the songs in iTunes... got the credits but refuse to use iTunes again) :p

I paid cash for MobileMe (if they give a refund, i want cash back!)

You'll get no iTunes credit because they are not giving refunds.

aethelbert
Jun 6, 2011, 02:44 PM
There is a FAQ posted here (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445) regarding refunds for codes which have not yet been used to start/renew an account.

jdbr
Jun 6, 2011, 02:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Extended to the 30th June 2012: what are they extending; it is now free? An extension of nothing.....we've paid for it but it is free for everyone else up until 30th June 2012, or am I missing something?!

F123D
Jun 6, 2011, 02:45 PM
Right on time.. just got an email last week from mobileme saying I needed to update my billing information since my subscription was ending.

This was one of the few things I was happy with todays conference.

AlphaDogg
Jun 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
For some reason, me.com takes me to a blank blue page.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/igesundheit/ScreenShot2011-06-06at14621PM.jpg

Edit: happens in safari too. I'll grab my only computer with 10.6 on it (my MacBook), my MBP has 10.7 on it.

Edit 2: It happens on my 10.6.7 MacBook too!

whathesaid
Jun 6, 2011, 02:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Extended to the 30th June 2012: what are they extending; it is now free? An extension of nothing.....we've paid for it but it is free for everyone else up until 30th June 2012, or am I missing something?!

It's free for people that have a me.com account, I don't believe new users can sign up for free.

For some reason, me.com takes me to a blank blue page.

Image (http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/igesundheit/ScreenShot2011-06-06at14621PM.jpg)

Edit: happens in safari too. I'll grab my only computer with 10.6 on it (my MacBook), my MBP has 10.7 on it.

Edit 2: It happens on my 10.6.7 MacBook too!

strange, its working for me.

Zildjian26
Jun 6, 2011, 02:50 PM
I use MobileMe to sync bookmarks and keychains across Macs. I don't see that feature mentioned anywhere in the iCloud info...??? I also just renewed my sub 3 weeks ago, $99 down the drain I guess.

wd89
Jun 6, 2011, 02:56 PM
It's free for people that have a me.com account, I don't believe new users can sign up for free.

My sisters trial account that she setup in May is now extended to June next year. She has paid nothing for a years "subscription" while somebody may have been charged full price last week for a renewal.

Not very fair but I'm not surprised. This is Apple after all. I am staying well clear of this iCloud thing!

jacobo007
Jun 6, 2011, 02:56 PM
I renewed May 21st.

Basically got it for the sync stuff and the find my iphone, it seems the only way to get a refund is to cancel the subscription.

wd89
Jun 6, 2011, 02:57 PM
I renewed May 21st.

Basically got it for the sync stuff and the find my iphone, it seems the only way to get a refund is to cancel the subscription.

They're too clever. Try and find the cancel button! It was in the Account Settings section earlier but...

jacobo007
Jun 6, 2011, 02:59 PM
They're too clever. Try and find the cancel button! It was in the Account Settings section earlier but...

I´m looking at it right now it says if i cancel they´ll refund my full subscription fee

Eddyisgreat
Jun 6, 2011, 03:00 PM
hmm. So if we cancel, can we keep on using it anyway since it's free lol

wd89
Jun 6, 2011, 03:03 PM
I´m looking at it right now it says if i cancel they´ll refund my full subscription fee

Which tab?

jacobo007
Jun 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
Which tab?

Account summary, right below the account details.

RamboRab
Jun 6, 2011, 03:38 PM
My mum just renewed the other week. She can cancel and get a refund but that will delete everything. Apple need to provide a way to get a refund without cancelling the account so it can be transitioned into an iCloud account in a few months.

edtorious
Jun 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
I just had a chat with an Apple Tech and I was told that for those of us who renewed just recently or a couple of months ago, they will not give us a refund without canceling our mobileme service. The tech said that for now, just stay tuned, they may have an announcement soon as before the iCloud comes out about giving us a partial refund but for now do not cancel mobileme because they don't have any capabilities to give us a refund and not cancel our mobileme service. I was mad and disappointed but nothing we can do for now. :mad:

scotthayes
Jun 6, 2011, 04:21 PM
Well I'm a happy bunny. NOT!!! I paid £95 2 weeks ago and now I'm told the service I paid for is defunct.

Apollo1988
Jun 6, 2011, 04:32 PM
I'm having a convo at the moment with an Apple Express lane guy. I assume this is a chat bot?

Quick update: Apparently if you paid online in the last year you will get a pro-rata refund on the day you cancel. If you cancel today you will get more money back but loose your email, if you cancel on the day iCloud is released you will get less money.
If you paid for MobileMe in the last 45 days or less then you have until the 45th day to cancel the service to get a full refund, but you will loose your email and data.

NJRonbo
Jun 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
Just renewed my MobileMe last month for $99.

Now Apple is telling their customers the following:

Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.

So why would I want MobileMe if iCloud offers
everything I use it for for FREE?

A conversation with an Apple rep revealed MobileMe
had features not in iCloud which I found to be a crazy
conclusion.

oneofthesedaves
Jun 6, 2011, 04:56 PM
I chatted with a MobileMe rep a minute ago. He claims that anyone who has a paid MobileMe account when iCloud goes live will receive an automatic refund to your credit card for the remaining months not yet used.:o

mrat93
Jun 6, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'm hoping recent subscribers and renewals will be refunded, or at least prorated. My subscription automatically renewed on Saturday.

Apollo1988
Jun 6, 2011, 05:03 PM
The guy I just spoke to told me differently.

If you have a MobileMe box with a unused activation code you can get a refund anytime between now and 30th June 2012.

If you have paid for MobileMe in the last 45 days through a boxed code or online you have until the 45th day to get a full refund, to do this you have to close your account losing your data and email address. So long as you close between now and 30th June 2012 you will get a pro-rate refund.

If you paid for MobileMe over 45 days ago you get a pro-rate refund on the day that you close your account.

Basically if you want the most of a refund cancel now and wait for iCloud to be released in September. If you wanna keep your email extra, wait to cancel on the day iCloud is released.

maflynn
Jun 6, 2011, 05:35 PM
We'll probably get some sort of credit, though I don't think we'll see cash coming our way.

rootss
Jun 6, 2011, 05:47 PM
I purchased a MobileMe subscription from eBay 2 weeks ago (shrink wrapped retail box) and I have not opened the box. I'm already a MobileMe subscriber and the purchase was to extend my subscription.

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445 they only require a photo or scan of the unused activation code and not a sales receipt if one is already a MM subscriber. So in this case I should be eligible for a refund.

Did I understand that correctly? Anybody else in the same situation care to comment?

mrat93
Jun 6, 2011, 06:15 PM
(I explained the issue before the chat session started.)

Chat Support

Monday, June 6, 2011 06:46 PM
Duration: 21 minutes 18 seconds

Jesus:
Thank you for contacting MobileMe chat support. My name is Jesus. Please give me a moment while I review the information you have provided.

Jesus:
Hello, Micahel, thanks for contacting MobileMe support! While I'm reading your pre-chat survey, might I ask if you've contacted us before regarding this issue?

Michael:
I haven't.

Jesus:
Ok, I see from your pre-chat survey that you have some concerns about the MobileMe billing . Is this correct?

Michael:
That is correct.

Jesus:
Unfortunately at this time the amount of information we have available for iCloud, iOS5, and Mac OS X Lion is very limited. You can visit the following links for more information: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597 and http://www.apple.com/icloud/ to view what info we do have available. As far as the refunds and currently Active accounts go, the only way to get a full refund is by canceling your account. However, if you cancel your account now you will not be able to reactivate it or retrieve your data from your account. All currently active accounts, as well as recently expired accounts within the last 30 days have all been reactivated and provided with free MobileMe service until June 30, 2011.

Michael:
So accounts that automatically expired in the past month and weren't renewed are now getting free service, but the people who paid to keep their service are not getting refunds?

Jesus:
You can get a refund by canceling the account. That is the only current option.

Michael:
Okay, thank you.

Jesus:
You're welcome Michael. I do apologize about this. I do wish I could do more. This is recent and I don't really have any other options besides canceling. I really am sorry about that Michael.

Michael:
It's okay. Thanks.

Jesus:
You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jesus:
Thanks for chatting with us. We value your feedback. Please click the "End Chat" button at the top left corner of the chat window and answer a few questions about your experience with us today.

It's pretty ridiculous how expired accounts from the past month were given back service with all of their data. If I knew that, I would have cancelled on June 3, when my subscription renewed itself.

aneftp
Jun 6, 2011, 06:57 PM
I purchased a MobileMe subscription from eBay 2 weeks ago (shrink wrapped retail box) and I have not opened the box. I'm already a MobileMe subscriber and the purchase was to extend my subscription.

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4445 they only require a photo or scan of the unused activation code and not a sales receipt if one is already a MM subscriber. So in this case I should be eligible for a refund.

Did I understand that correctly? Anybody else in the same situation care to comment?

You might be out of luck because you haven't applied the code yet.

Read the fine print. If you had activated your code from eBay (even if you subscrpition expires say tomorrow), you would have been eligible since that code would have taken effect tomorrow.

But since you didn't activate yet and didn't buy it from an "authorized reseller", apple store, or apple online.

It's almost kinda of like the Apple Bumpers last year with the iPhone 4. Those who purchased on ebay were screwed. Those who sold on ebay (sellers), essentially "double dipped". They got your money PLUS, Apple's refund money.

Who says the ebay reseller who sold you the box, might have already applied for a refund as we speak. They have the original receipt, you don't.

The ultimate question is,
1. You have an additional activation code in your account that has not yet been used to renew your subscription. To determine if this applies to you log in to me.com/account. If you have an additional code, you will see a message similar to the one below.

So did you apply the code yet? Apple doesn't activate the code until your subscription date renewal. I know this because last year I put a code in 1 month prior, but Apple didn't take the code until the day my subsciption from the previous year was set to expire.

antzona
Jun 6, 2011, 08:40 PM
I just renewed on the 2nd of June! After reading all the details of this transition I decided to just cancel my subscription that I have had since 2002 and get the full refund. I was going to hold off the renewal because of this announcement but Apple kept sending me messages to make sure I renewed. losing the data was no big deal since I have everything on my computer, iPhone and iPad. I am kind of curious about my iWeb site and my email address. I rarely use the email but I would still like to have the same address when icloud kicks in. I also wonder if my me account will become usable again like people who let them lapse over the last month or two. Seems like it should.

rootss
Jun 6, 2011, 09:12 PM
No, I have not applied the code.

In my case, I don't think the person who sold it to me could apply for a refund himself. Because even if you have the sales receipt, they still require you to send in the activation code, which they don't have (because the box is still shrink wrapped).

I'm just going to go ahead and submit it anyway. If they reject it, oh well.

Ish
Jun 7, 2011, 04:28 AM
I just got this email today:

Important information for MobileMe members.

Dear MobileMe member,

We'd like to share some exciting news with you about iCloud — Apple’s upcoming cloud service, which stores your content and wirelessly pushes it to your devices. iCloud integrates seamlessly with your apps, so everything happens automatically. Available this fall, iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users.

What does this mean for you as a MobileMe member?

When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, we will provide more details and instructions on how to make the move. In the meantime, we encourage you to learn more about iCloud.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

It looks as there'll be a few months cross-over time to get things sorted.

hollerz
Jun 7, 2011, 04:33 AM
I don't know why people are complaining about this. As much as I'd love a pro-rata refund, I paid for a year of MobileMe, and I'm getting a year of MobileMe.

Fozziebear40
Jun 7, 2011, 05:44 AM
I don't know why people are complaining about this. As much as I'd love a pro-rata refund, I paid for a year of MobileMe, and I'm getting a year of MobileMe.

Because if someone's MobileMe account was due to be updated yesterday, they will get the 12 months for free. If you updated last week it has cost you $99 / £59 for an extra week or so. But life isn't fair so we should get over this :p

halfab
Jun 7, 2011, 06:43 AM
I have spent the morning onto 'Customer Care'. My mobile me subscription auto renewed (big fail on my behalf leaving credit card details with them) on June 6, the same day they announced that they're making it free.
The only way to get a refund is to cancel your account, meaning you lose your address etc (at least till september). If my subscription wasn't due to renew till today I would have gotten it free till 2012!

Apple should not have been taking money from people (at least 72 hours prior anyway) if they know the service is being discontinued/given away for free.
Really annoyed over this. Obviously there needs to be a cut off somewhere, but to take money the same day :mad:

NJRonbo
Jun 7, 2011, 06:57 AM
It seems as if Apple is trying to do everything
they can not to reimburse MobileMe customers
for their remaining months of subscription.

To extend the program out another year is
just ludicrous when considering that iCloud does
everything MobileMe does at no charge.

I have a contact deep within Apple. An executive.
I have written her an email this morning explaining
how many of us feel, and asking for her to bring
this issue to the forefront so that Apple can address
how they will better take care of current MobileMe
subscribers.

As soon as I hear back from her, I will report what
she says.

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 07:04 AM
so we only get the mm extension till june 2012 if we dont migrate to iCloud

I would have expected most people to migrate to the new free service when it becomes available, which means losing some of the mm features in a few months

halfab
Jun 7, 2011, 07:15 AM
A reasonable solution to this would be to

1. Stop taking new subscriptions (which they've done)

2. Charge mobile me customers pro rata till September when iCloud is live.

I think most reasonable people would agree with this. It defies logic that I am charged 1 years subs on June 6 for a service that is made free on June 7 with no recourse apart from canceling my whole account.

:apple: :mad:

KeithJenner
Jun 7, 2011, 07:31 AM
so we only get the mm extension till june 2012 if we dont migrate to iCloud

No I don't think that's the case. Where did you get that from?

It does look as though cancelling your MobileMe may be an option, in which case you will get a pro-rata refund. However as iCloud isn't up yet you would be without a service for a while. However, on another thread someone says that they have cancelled MobileMe and, after a short break in service, it now seems to be active again until June 2012.

I think we've got to give this one a bit of time to become clear.

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 07:36 AM
No I don't think that's the case. Where did you get that from?

It does look as though cancelling your MobileMe may be an option, in which case you will get a pro-rata refund. However as iCloud isn't up yet you would be without a service for a while. However, on another thread someone says that they have cancelled MobileMe and, after a short break in service, it now seems to be active again until June 2012.

I think we've got to give this one a bit of time to become clear.

this is my thinking (would like to be proved wrong though)

currently have mm free until june 2012
icloud is going live in the autumn (falll) but seems to be missing some mm features (galleries, idisk etc)

if i leave things as they are, my mm will continue until june 2012
if i upgrade to icloud when it is released i will lose galleries/idisk etc as i will no longer be using the mm service, i will be using icloud instead

does any of that make any sense ?

KeithJenner
Jun 7, 2011, 07:55 AM
Yes, it makes sense, but I think you're wrong.

Here's how I see it:

MM runs until June 2012. iCloud will go live in the Autumn. You then have 9 months or so to migrate over. If you close not to use iCloud then your service will expire in June next year. If you transfer over some bits (i.e. contacts/mail) but continue to use MobileMe until June for the others (iDisk) then that will work.

Of course we don't know what is going to happen to iDisk and some other features at the moment. It may be that iCloud will offer something similar. If not then we will have until next June to find an alternative.

Edit: Thinking about it further, I don't think you can be correct.

I have paid for MobileMe until next Feb. If MobileMe cuts off when you start using iCloud then I would not be getting the service that I've paid for. Apple may be able to justify not giving refunds to people who have paid just because others get some of the service free, but they can't charge you for a service they don't provide.

The emails we have received specifically states that we have MobileMe until next June. There are no conditions attached to that as far as I can see.

paulsalter
Jun 7, 2011, 08:00 AM
Yes, it makes sense, but I think you're wrong.

Here's how I see it:

MM runs until June 2012. iCloud will go live in the Autumn. You then have 9 months or so to migrate over. If you close not to use iCloud then your service will expire in June next year. If you transfer over some bits (i.e. contacts/mail) but continue to use MobileMe until June for the others (iDisk) then that will work.

Of course we don't know what is going to happen to iDisk and some other features at the moment. It may be that iCloud will offer something similar. If not then we will have until next June to find an alternative.

I would like to think your way sounds best :)

would hate to get short notice to do something with my data on iDisk and photos in my galeries

Wicked1
Jun 7, 2011, 10:06 AM
Did anyone else log into their account and ask for a Refund, I did last night and received an email stating I would receive a check in 2-4 weeks?

Just curious if anyone else is doing this, because I paid for June 2011-2012 in advance before the announcement, also good news MobileMe is free becuase now I do not have to pay $150 per year for a family plan.

RamboRab
Jun 7, 2011, 10:09 AM
You do realise that by cancelling you will lose your @me.com email address and all other MobileMe services?

G2244
Jun 7, 2011, 10:15 AM
I just got off a chat session with a MobileMe advisor (was asking for a refund WITHOUT canceling the account - mine auto-renewed on May 23rd). They wouldn't give me one but here is what they said:

"I definitely understand you wanting a refund, but since the accounts aren't in the new format yet. There has been no transitions, and the accounts won't refund just yet. When the accounts began to transition the process for any refunds will be announced and instructions emailed to those affected."

Pressed further they added:
..."once the instructions for the transition is released customers will be notified on how to handle their paid accounts."

So there may possibly be some kind of refund plan already being discussed?

Wicked1
Jun 7, 2011, 10:28 AM
You do realise that by cancelling you will lose your @me.com email address and all other MobileMe services?

I did not cancel, but requested a refund as per their instructions for the money I paid to renew my MM from June 2011 to june 2012? I did not cancel my service though.

G2244
Jun 7, 2011, 11:08 AM
I did not cancel, but requested a refund as per their instructions for the money I paid to renew my MM from June 2011 to june 2012? I did not cancel my service though.

So you didn't click on the big button labeled "Cancel Subscription..."??

seamuskrat
Jun 7, 2011, 11:25 AM
I hope they figure out the startegy and migration.

I could easily give up iDisk and use DropBox, but it was nice to have an Apple solution. That said, I started migrating my iDisk files to Drop Box already.

I use personal domains, and photo hosting and such for family pics. I will miss that. I am not one for sharing my photos on Flikr or Facebook with all their security and privacy baggage. Not that MobileMe was free of that, but it was far less of a problem. I am sure the ohotos can be shared via iCloud, but I liked haing my own domain and place, and now I have to fins some host and deal with that.

Most concerning is email accounts. I pay for an extra. I like to have obe for things liek online bills, one for personal and one for resumes, work, etc. I know I can go an do this on gmail, but I have so much established with the current .mac emails. I hated it when I had to migrate ISPs so often years ago. I thought .Mac was the solution.

While Yahoo, GMail and others provide nearly limitless free emails, the hassle of changing your web presence sucks. I wish Apple could clarify if you presently have a family pack with 5 emails or the add on $10 email you can keep it with iCloud. That would be a huge relief.

s15119
Jun 7, 2011, 11:38 AM
I got email yesterday indicating I was eligible for a refund!

NJRonbo
Jun 7, 2011, 11:45 AM

Boy, that's a first. I hope this isn't someone
trolling (forgive me but you can see why I ask).

What are the circumstances that make you eligible
for a refund? When did you join/resubscribe?

MagicBoy
Jun 7, 2011, 11:50 AM

Would you care to provide some proof?

Not that I doubt you... ;)

I'm a tad miffed as my account auto-renewed 3 weeks ago...

aristobrat
Jun 7, 2011, 11:55 AM
A reasonable solution to this would be to

1. Stop taking new subscriptions (which they've done)

2. Charge mobile me customers pro rata till September when iCloud is live
Option #2 doesn't work for everyone. There are a lot of people that use MobileMe features that don't exist in iCloud (iDisk, Photo Galleries, web hosting). They're not all likely to simply stop using MobileMe entirely when iCloud goes live in the fall. It takes time to find suitable replacement hosting and move all of the data (especially for web hosting and photo galleries, if the new host doesn't support direct publishing from iPhoto/Aperture or iWeb, like MobileMe does).

These are two completely different services with a few features that overlap. iCloud is not a free version of MobileMe.

antzona
Jun 7, 2011, 12:16 PM
I was fine with canceling and losing my email address and service. Getting back my $99 was more important to me. There is no way I was going to pay $99 for a service someone else was given for free, simply because their renewal date was four days after mine.

It really seems like Apple should have let people, in a similar situation to mine, know about this transition. Instead I kept getting emails reminding me to renew my subscription. They knew that four days later they were going to make this announcement and I would be paying $99 for something others would get for free. They are slaves to secrecy even when it means alienating customers who have been MobileMe subscribers since 2002.

So, I'll get my $99 back and in the Fall I'll have to set up an iCloud account like I am a new customer. Hopefully my email address is still available.

Any news on whether iCloud will offer space to host iWeb sites?

halfab
Jun 7, 2011, 12:42 PM
Option #2 doesn't work for everyone. There are a lot of people that use MobileMe features that don't exist in iCloud (iDisk, Photo Galleries, web hosting). They're not all likely to simply stop using MobileMe entirely when iCloud goes live in the fall. It takes time to find suitable replacement hosting and move all of the data (especially for web hosting and photo galleries, if the new host doesn't support direct publishing from iPhoto/Aperture or iWeb, like MobileMe does).

These are two completely different services with a few features that overlap. iCloud is not a free version of MobileMe.

Fair point however not entirely true. For Photo Gallery substitute Photo Stream, iDisk - Document backup. The only service they're not offering or haven't announced is web hosting. I'm sure they will do something on this since iWeb is still included with every machine.

My frustration (and many others) is having money debited from my account on Sunday night and finding out that the service is free for any renewals from the following day on. This is sharp practice.

r0k
Jun 7, 2011, 12:56 PM
Fair point however not entirely true. For Photo Gallery substitute Photo Stream, iDisk - Document backup. The only service they're not offering or haven't announced is web hosting. I'm sure they will do something on this since iWeb is still included with every machine.

My frustration (and many others) is having money debited from my account on Sunday night and finding out that the service is free for any renewals from the following day on. This is sharp practice.

I also have quite a few iDisk items copied to dropbox. I just need to get the rest done.

I gave up on and stopped using MobileMe web hosting as soon as Apple support told me there was no support for php or even server side includes.

The only thing I have left on there are some photo galleries I have been thinking about moving anyway. I do appreciate the wireless sync, though. When I picked up my iPad, it was "mine" before I walked out of the Apple store once I put in my mobile me login. The same was true when I picked up my iPhone 4.

I will keep MobileMe going until I successfully get all my photos moved somewhere else but the hosted stuff is duplicated on my Mac in iWeb should I ever decide to publish it elsewhere so I'm not going to even bother backing it up. It's not "live" anyway unless somebody knows my mobile me web address.

My MobileMe renewed in May. I never had a CC on file but I knew there was a shakeup coming and I didn't want my stuff going dark so I opted to let Apple charge me for another year of MoMe rather than rush to move my stuff around to meet Apple's timing.

I think it's worth paying to keep wireless sync and push email working. Hopefully I'll have a photos solution worked out by fall and I can cancel MoMe when I port to iCloud and I will probably get a partial refund.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jun 7, 2011, 01:07 PM
Find My iPhone is free now??

Bukey
Jun 7, 2011, 01:11 PM
Please forgive me if I sound harsh - I don't mean to and this isn't meant as a flame. I just wonder why so many people are getting wound up about refunds?

I say this as a MM subscriber. The fact is that we've all paid for a service we're getting - and Apple have extended that time for everyone to 30th June 2012.

Admittedly some people do well out of it and get over a year's extension - and others only get a few days - but everyone gets more than they've paid for and agreed to subscribe for at the time they decided to subscribe or renew.

Admittedly the new iCloud offerings are coming and they're free for everyone - including us. Whilst it would be nice for Apple to give those that transfer across to iCloud a redund if we do so before the end of our original paid renewal dates, surely this would be an optional gesture of goodwill rather than something we really have any right to expect?

I mean - regardless of transferring or not, we'll be entitled to keep our MM accounts until June 2012 - as well as create separate iCloud accounts as everyone else can?

(Of course - as already mentioned in the thread there's the 45 day refund clause for those that really want a refund to forego the service).

aristobrat
Jun 7, 2011, 01:15 PM

Photo Stream in iCloud is only the last 1000 pictures, and as far as I've read, there's no public Gallery feature allowing you to share them with friends and family. So much for having your Christmas pictures for the last 5 years in a gallery shared by your family.

Document Backup only seems to speak to backing up your iOS device. You dont seem to be able to use it as a drag n drop storage with the ability to share with others, like iDisk.

I understand your frustration by missing the free cut-off by one day. If they made the cut-off a day later, there'd still be people upset about that cut off. Seems like an overall no-win.

Are you not eligible for a pro-rated refund if you cancel when iCloud goes live?

halfab
Jun 7, 2011, 01:25 PM
Are you not eligible for a pro-rated refund if you cancel when iCloud goes live?

I think this may be the case all right. I'll have to risk relinquishing my email address and hoping I can get it back as quick!

Sure there has to be some cut off point within reason. I feel that taking money from people in the previous few days/weeks is ethically wrong when they knew the service is going to be free.

Coin
Jun 7, 2011, 01:29 PM
I just asked MobileMe customer service about a refund since I just renewed by code inside a retail box only 2 days ago. Apple told me that NO REFUNDS or CREDITS will be issued to anyone who renews no matter what the date is.

aristobrat
Jun 7, 2011, 02:51 PM
I feel that taking money from people in the previous few days/weeks is ethically wrong when they knew the service is going to be free.
iCloud is not MobileMe, and MobileMe is not going to be free.

*Some* of the MobileMe features (email and PIM sync) will be offered in the free iCloud service, but several of the key MobileMe features (20GB of online storage, iDisk, Photo Galleries, and web hosting) will only be available to MobileMe subscribers.

Your $99 renewed you as a MobileMe subscriber, which essentially gives you access to ALL features of BOTH services, until MobileMe ceases to exist in about a year for now.

If you want to make the point that that access is useless to you personally (say you don't use iDisk, web hosting, or Photo Galleries), that's fine. But to say that Apple's taking people's money for MobileMe is unethical, even though it gives those people unique features, doesn't sound right, IMO.

halfab
Jun 7, 2011, 03:01 PM
If you want to make the point that that access is useless to you personally (say you don't use iDisk, web hosting, or Photo Galleries), that's fine. But to say that Apple's taking people's money for MobileMe is unethical, even though it gives those people unique features, doesn't sound right, IMO.

It was 118 Euro ($173) they took from me for a family sub. We only used Mobileme for mail and to sync contacts.
The unethical part is that they've taken money from some people and less than 24 hours later given it free to others. C'est la vie.....

antzona
Jun 7, 2011, 05:51 PM
iCloud is not MobileMe, and MobileMe is not going to be free..

MobileMe certainly is free for people who didn't have to renew until June 7th or after. I renewed on June 2nd so I had to pay $99 to renew. If I had originally signed up five days later in 2002 I wouldn't have had to pay the $99, because I would have been given the free extension to June of 2012. There are people who didn't renew when their accounts lapsed in May and now they are active again without paying a dime. That makes MobileMe free. Unfairly free, but free none the less.

aristobrat
Jun 7, 2011, 05:57 PM
I didn't think I needed to be as specific as to give examples of free services, but iCloud, gmail, hotmail, and Yahoo are examples of what I meant by a free service. MobileMe is certainly not considered a free service, despite the fact that some members aren't paying for it.

There is always a cut off date. If Apple made that date 6/2 to suit you (or 6/7 to suit halfab), there would still be people pissed off because that cut-off date didn't suit them.

Like halfab said, c'est la vie...

antzona
Jun 7, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'm sure I would be saying c'est la vie if my renewal date was June 7th.

Not sure why we have to say c'est la vie. Why can't we count on companies and service providers to think situations through and do the right thing every once in awhile? Sometimes that means sacrificing profit. There is no way they should have taken $99 from people as late as the morning of June 6th for something they would be giving away for free later that day. It's wrong, plain and simple.

antzona
Jun 7, 2011, 11:15 PM
I didn't think I needed to be as specific as to give examples of free services, but iCloud, gmail, hotmail, and Yahoo are examples of what I meant by a free service. MobileMe is certainly not considered a free service, despite the fact that some members aren't paying for it.

What halfab was referring to, which is who you were responding to, was the fact that MobileMe became free for many users merely hours after others were charged $99. You didn't have to be more specific about what a free service is, as it comes across as condescending, and I and most other forum members understand, but I do have trouble understanding how it relates to what halfab originally wrote.

The way this should have been handled is this:
Every MobileMe subscriber with a current active account has their subscription extended through June 30, 2012 free of charge. Every subscriber will receive a pro-rated refund, based on June 6, 2011 as the closing date. If you renewed on June 2, 2011, like me, you get back a refund for around $97. Meaning I paid for 4 days of service. If you renewed on February 2, 2011 then you receive a refund for 8 months. Meaning you paid for the 4 months from February to June. If you renewed in July of 2010 then you get a refund for one month. You get the idea.

This, of course, means Apple is sacrificing some money, but at least they are treating all of their customers equally, and there would be no uproar from angry customers. There would be no reason for any customer to feel like they were shafted in this situation. If you let your subscription lapse in March, then you will have to wait until the Fall to sign up for iCloud. I have no idea why they reinstated those accounts when people willingly chose not to renew, yet those of us who renewed were stuck either paying the $99 or canceling.

Bukey
Jun 8, 2011, 03:06 AM
I really don't get it...

MobileMe is not now - nor will ever be - a free service. It's a paid service that Apple - as a gesture of goodwill have extended for no further payment until it's end of life for a product they have decided to retire in just over a years time to a different product.

Everyone is getting MORE than they paid for and agreed to pay for. A line had to be drawn in the sand somewhere - and whenever there would be unhappy people.

I think they way they've done it has been the fairest way - they've done it immediately from making the announcement. Surely people would be more hacked off (and have a right to be) if they said on Monday, "We'll stop taking payments on a certain day" - because then some people would be renewed automatically after the announcement of MobileMe's demise?

Also - anyone that has got that much of a problem with being renewed in the last 45 days and wants to be on an equal footing with everyone else (as they feel that would be fairer) has the option to cancel.

I think the only reasons anyone would have to complain is if:

1) Apple cut off MobileMe before someone's subscription ended.

or

2) Apple took payments after the announcement was made.

If I was to buy a new TV six weeks ago and the manufacturer announced they were ceasing that model in a month's time and halving the RRP immediately I'd have no recourse to do anything about it.

Unfortunately products change. I think Apple have done the right thing.... I mean, the other options Apple could have taken are:

1) End everyone's MobileMe subscription on the renewal date.
They've gone above and beyond this!

2) Issued refunds / part refunds.
Of course, to be absolutely fair this could / should only happen when your MM account is transferred. Yes you'd get a refund now. But the cost to run / administer this would be absorbed somewhere... So you (and everyone else that's never used MM) would see this cost bolted on elsewhere in a stealthy fashion. You'd still pay somewhere.

3) Issued refunds / part refunds. #2
This seems to be the option lots of people want. Continue using MM (with features that aren't in iCloud), get an extension to the end of June 2012 AND a refund.

I get the point that some people have said they don't use some of the extra features in MM (like iDisk) - but that's your choice. The point is that the service has been provided. I don't watch half the channels on my cable TV - but I still have to pay for them because I pay for a package.

And again - just want to point out - that I don't mean to be harsh or come across funny with this post... I do understand why some people feel a bit "aarrrgghh!" about all this - but really we're all going to be getting more than we paid for. :)

Bukey
Jun 8, 2011, 03:11 AM
The way this should have been handled is this:
Every MobileMe subscriber with a current active account has their subscription extended through June 30, 2012 free of charge. Every subscriber will receive a pro-rated refund, based on June 6, 2011 as the closing date. If you renewed on June 2, 2011, like me, you get back a refund for around $97. Meaning I paid for 4 days of service. If you renewed on February 2, 2011 then you receive a refund for 8 months. Meaning you paid for the 4 months from February to June. If you renewed in July of 2010 then you get a refund for one month. You get the idea.

Sorry - just another quick one. You say that you paid for 4 days of service... Sorry but I don't think you have.

You renewed on June 2, 2011. You've actually paid for 12 months of service - and you're going to be given 12 months and 28 days of service.

It's about different perspectives I guess. :)

svale
Jun 8, 2011, 03:43 AM

Boy, that's a first. I hope this isn't someone
trolling (forgive me but you can see why I ask).

What are the circumstances that make you eligible
for a refund? When did you join/resubscribe?

Would you care to provide some proof

He/she isn't lying. I received that e-mail too. This is what it said.

Dear MobileMe member,
Our records indicate that you have entered an activation code in your MobileMe account to renew your subscription. We have extended all MobileMe subscriptions through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge, so you are eligible for a full refund for this activation code.

To claim your refund:
1. Sign in to me.com.
2. Click your name in the top right and choose Account.
3. Then click Request Refund.
4. Complete the online form.

After completing the online form, you will receive your refund in four to six weeks via check or electronic funds transfer.

Claiming a refund will not affect your paid service in any way.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

Based on my case and others I've spoken to, only those with activated but unused codes are receiving this e-mail and given the opportunity to request a refund.

In my case, I signed up to MobileMe in January 2011. I did so by buying and adding two MobileMe box codes. The first code covered my subscription from January 2011 through to January 2012. The second code extends it from January 2012 through to January 2013. However, Apple doesn't "use" codes until they're needed, so while that second code has been tied to my account, it hasn't yet been used which is why Apple has offered me a refund for it.

Note that I haven't been offered a pro-rated refund for the first code. But I don't have a huge problem with that. At the end of the day, I was prepared to pay for a year's worth of MobileMe, and I'm still getting that. In fact, I'm getting more since all our accounts have been extended through to June 2012 for free.

Wicked1
Jun 8, 2011, 07:24 AM
I too wonder how the transitino will work. It's funny because about 3 days ago I got my "don't forget to renew" email from MM. My subscription runs out on July 2nd.

Giving out refunds is going to be tricky because many people bought from different sources. I did not buy a subscription for $99/yr direct from Apple, will I get a prorated refund at the $99/yr rate? I'm surprised when SJ sais MM will cease to exist, he did not even at least acknowledge how the handling of current customers is going to be.

My other question is, what is going to happen to all the other MM features? I regularly use BTMM, is that functionality going to disappear? How about web hosting? What about my iDisk storage? If I had >5GB on my iDisk, do i get cut down? Can I pay for more storage? Is iDisk finally not going to be a crawling mess

Also, since my iPod touch is only 2nd gen and is long ago abandoned by Apple for OS updates, means I can't get contact syncing anymore unless I upgrade to new hardware.

Obviously more info will have to come in the future to address these

Ruahrc

edit: saw the post above mine. Answers some questions, still wondering if things like BTMM will just disappear or if they will continue to exist in some other location/form.

Received an email stating my refund will be to me within 2-4 weeks, I would have liked the option of just getting $69.99 worth of iTunes credit, but oh well, I will see shortly how they refund the $69.99 I paid in advance.

Dr McKay
Jun 8, 2011, 07:27 AM
I always liked having a @me account. Purely because the only other person I've ever seen with one is my friend. Everyone at work is jelous of it though, because its the only email provider not filtered out.

antzona
Jun 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
2) Issued refunds / part refunds.
Of course, to be absolutely fair this could / should only happen when your MM account is transferred. Yes you'd get a refund now. But the cost to run / administer this would be absorbed somewhere... So you (and everyone else that's never used MM) would see this cost bolted on elsewhere in a stealthy fashion. You'd still pay somewhere.

So how are they absorbing the cost of the accounts that people didn't renew in February that are now magically reinstated until June 30, 2012? How are they absorbing the cost of the accounts that were due for renewal on June 7th, five days after mine, that now have until the end of June 2012 for free? You can act like Apple did the right thing here, but they clearly didn't. The plan that I laid out is far more fair and no one would have been able to argue it. If you didn't renew back in February you shouldn't have your account reinstated now through the end of June 2012. If you didn't renew your account in May you shouldn't have it magically reinstated, free of charge. If you were an active account holder you shouldn't pay anything past June 6, 2011 if other customers are not having to pay anything past June 6, 2012. It's total nonsense to treat customers without equity, and a poor business decision.

Sorry - just another quick one. You say that you paid for 4 days of service... Sorry but I don't think you have.

You renewed on June 2, 2011. You've actually paid for 12 months of service - and you're going to be given 12 months and 28 days of service.

It's about different perspectives I guess. :)

That is true that I would be paying $99 for 12 months of service and I would get 28 days free. (However, I would change to iCloud in the Fall, which is free) It is also true that when Apple reminded me to pay that $99 on June 2nd, they knew that they would be giving that same service to hundreds of customers, free of charge, simply because they happened to originally sign up for the service five days later than I had. They knew they would be giving that service, free of charge, back to people who willingly chose not to renew their accounts within a few months of the June 6, 2011 announcement. We can spin this story around and around however we want, but the bottom line is, it was a bad way to handle the situation and has left a sour taste in the mouths of many loyal customers. Maybe not you, but many customers. There were options to avoid this, but they might eat into the all mighty profit margin a bit too much.

NJRonbo
Jun 8, 2011, 09:58 AM
Official Response From Apple....

Okay, so I promised I would speak to someone
high up the ladder. I have done so this morning
and here is the official response from Apple...

There will be no refunds on MobileMe for iCloud.

You can cancel MobileMe within 45 days of signup
or renewal with a full refund -or- after that time
for a pro-rated refund. However, doing so will
remove your email account which means that
particular email address will not be able to be
used again, even with iCloud. If you keep MobileMe,
your email address will be ported over.

This is a definitive decision from Apple that was
already decided prior to the iCloud announcement.

Bukey
Jun 8, 2011, 10:57 AM
That is true that I would be paying $99 for 12 months of service and I would get 28 days free. (However, I would change to iCloud in the Fall, which is free) It is also true that when Apple reminded me to pay that $99 on June 2nd, they knew that they would be giving that same service to hundreds of customers, free of charge, simply because they happened to originally sign up for the service five days later than I had. They knew they would be giving that service, free of charge, back to people who willingly chose not to renew their accounts within a few months of the June 6, 2011 announcement. We can spin this story around and around however we want, but the bottom line is, it was a bad way to handle the situation and has left a sour taste in the mouths of many loyal customers. Maybe not you, but many customers. There were options to avoid this, but they might eat into the all mighty profit margin a bit too much.

Agreed - we can spin it around lots. Realistically it's just a matter of perspective though. The facts are:

- Everyone gets more than they paid for.
- A few lucky people have got a totally free year and a bit. Everyone else gets the service they paid for plus some more.
- However Apple had handled it there would have been some on the cusp that would've complained.
- They made it as fair as possible for everyone from the point of going public - this is all that can be expected really from a business. It's a business/trade secret covered under NDAs until going public - this is why the cutoff was when it was.

I do understand why you may feel unlucky. But you still get what you paid for. Surely you don't begrudge a small amount that got lucky by the timing? Would you be saying the same had you been one of those people?

So how are they absorbing the cost of the accounts that people didn't renew in February that are now magically reinstated until June 30, 2012? How are they absorbing the cost of the accounts that were due for renewal on June 7th, five days after mine, that now have until the end of June 2012 for free? You can act like Apple did the right thing here, but they clearly didn't. The plan that I laid out is far more fair and no one would have been able to argue it. If you didn't renew back in February you shouldn't have your account reinstated now through the end of June 2012. If you didn't renew your account in May you shouldn't have it magically reinstated, free of charge. If you were an active account holder you shouldn't pay anything past June 6, 2011 if other customers are not having to pay anything past June 6, 2012. It's total nonsense to treat customers without equity, and a poor business decision.

As I put - it's a matter of perspective. Your "plan" isn't fair at all. It requires Apple to continue to provide paid services - on current hardware, in current data centres, with current staff that has all been setup to an existing business case - and take the entire hit for over a years worth of service.

The costs would just get moved elsewhere. You and I - and also people that have never had MobileMe - would just end up paying in other ways.

The truth is that iCloud has been built to a different business case, with different ways of paying for it.

Apple is end of life'ing MobileMe. There has to be a transition.

It is easier - technically, logistically and from a support perspective - to set an end date, set a date to allow migrations from, and set the process in place, and try and set things up with as few other variables as possible.

I do take your point about those being re-activated from February - had I not renewed previously, I'd be in that number... But those that didn't renew in February have also not had services since then. I renewed on the merits of the services I was getting - have had them since and continue to get them.

Again from a technical and support perspective - it's probably a huge time saver to handle things in this way with the re-activated accounts.

Anyone that's ever been involved in any technical migrations will say the same.

Nobody's paying anything after the 6th June - as you've said Apple should do. All payments were before then. Then everyone gets extra for gratis.

As in my last post - surely you don't begrudge a few people that got lucky? Relatively speaking I should imagine those with reactivated accounts or subscribed/renewed in the last short while are few and far between. You still get what you paid for - a few people (and it's luck of the draw really) got lucky.

tivoboy
Jun 8, 2011, 11:16 AM
I think what we'll see, as has been somewhat noted here is that we'll be able to "cancel" the official mobileme account when iCloud comes out and get some form of refund. Pro-rated, but will require some proof of payment. For me, I paid about 25$ a year for MM, so I don't really care too much and am certainly not going to cancel NOW and lose all my syncing, galleries, etc.

I DO think, however, that we WILL see some for of extra bonus for iCloud for CURRENT and PAID mobileme customers come iCloud launch.

iCloud will be a PAID SERVICE for users who want more than 5GB of storage for documents, files, music and photos. Depending on the sync settings and quality settings for photos (for the ipad and of course for iphoto they can be full resolution) this 5GB is going to be done fast. Apple is going to of course CHARGE for more space.

Sugarsync and dropbox are probably good places to get insight into pricing where 30GB is 50$ on SS, 50GB is 100$ on dropbox. Apple will undercut this pricing probably by HALF.

So, I think we'll see a 20GB or 25GB plan for 24.99$ a year at MOST.

I have the feeling that current as of iCloud launch mobileme customers will get at LEAST one free year of 20-25GB possibly even TWO years for free.

It'll all even out. It makes perfect sense. The current users has most likely USED the service, galleries, syncing, iDisk, etc. They might NEED storage space. If they are given the same amount of space as a one year gift, most will continue to use it and will then become paying customers in year 2+

antzona
Jun 8, 2011, 05:34 PM
The costs would just get moved elsewhere. You and I - and also people that have never had MobileMe - would just end up paying in other ways.

I am still curious why it's okay for them to absorb the cost of providing this service for free for people who didn't renew their accounts and are now getting the service again. Or the people who are set to renew this month or next month. They will basically get an entire year for free. I don't begrudge them anything, but I question Apple's decision to handle it this way. You refer to a "few" lucky people, which makes it sound like there are three or four people who didn't renew between January and now, and their accounts were reactivated. It could be hundreds of people or thousands of people who didn't renew and now have accounts that are active through June 30, 2012, free of charge. Will this cost be passed along to us? I would imagine a lot of people are going to migrate over to iCloud in the Fall and will no longer use MobileMe so the number of customers Apple needs to support MobileMe-wise will drop sharply. If I got a refund after paying on June 2nd, and still got to keep my account active until I migrated to iCloud, it would mean I got three or four months free. Some people are getting 13 months free right now. I was going to get 28 days, 9 months after I would have already transferred everything to iCloud and wouldn't be using MobileMe anyway.

3goldens
Jun 9, 2011, 07:26 PM
Got my email stating I would be getting a $99.00 refund for my unused activation on my MM account.

Done. Time to move up to the cloud!

Your refund request is now complete.

You will receive a Check refund for your unused activation code as follows:

- Credit Memo Number: xxxxxxxxxx
- Follow-Up Number: xxxxxxxxxx
- Additional unused activation code: $99
- Refunded Amount: $99 (plus any applicable taxes)*

Please allow four to six weeks to receive your refund.

This is your Case ID: xxxxxxxxx