Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I

iFanboy

Original poster
Bear with me here, i'm used to thinking of such things in a windows, download .iso, burn to disk kind of way.

I'm guessing somewhere on our hard drives after downloading Lion from the App Store there won't be a handy .iso anywhere.

What if there is a .dmg though? Could that be made bootable somehow? What about a .pkg? (Sorry, not proficient enough to know this yet)

Just thinking out loud here, and wondering whether it's possible for us to make our own DVD's on release?

Anyone have any thoughts on how we get around this? How have developer previewers managed?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I am sure there will be a mechanism for burning it to disc, but it remains to be seen.

thankins

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Bear with me here, i'm used to thinking of such things in a windows, download .iso, burn to disk kind of way.

I'm guessing somewhere on our hard drives after downloading Lion from the App Store there won't be a handy .iso anywhere.

What if there is a .dmg though? Could that be made bootable somehow? What about a .pkg? (Sorry, not proficient enough to know this yet)

Just thinking out loud here, and wondering whether it's possible for us to make our own DVD's on release?

Anyone have any thoughts on how we get around this? How have developer previewers managed?

You can do this...I do it on the DPs and it works fine

Download Lion of App Store...then go to into your app folder and right click on the icon and go to Show Package Contents

Navigate to the SharedSupport and then you will see a .dmg file called InstallESD.dmg.

Copy that to a disk or USB drive using Disk Utility and you are all set with a bootable disk

I just did it again for DP4

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Why not wait to the OS actually is released and see what our options are. Instead of jumping to conclusions, its quite possible that there may be a mechanism to burn a DVD.

Personally its asinine if there isn't. I mean what do you do if replace the hard drive?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Personally its asinine if there isn't. I mean what do you do if replace the hard drive?

I think Apple expects that you will go to them, and they'll reinstall the OS for you. You can't even replace the new iMac HD yourself because of that proprietary cable. :(

You can access the .dmg in a cumbersome fashion right now, but I honestly don't think that apple will address this. They feel that the recovery partition is adequate.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I think Apple expects that you will go to them, and they'll reinstall the OS for you. You can't even replace the new iMac HD yourself because of that proprietary cable. :(

You can access the .dmg in a cumbersome fashion right now, but I honestly don't think that apple will address this. They feel that the recovery partition is adequate.

Fortunately on MBPs it's still very easy to replace the HD. It should be on all Macs. There was always confusion about whether this was really user-serviceable when I worked for Apple via Arise as a sales contractor. We were told to tell our customers to upgrade the size of the hard drive because they were stuck with it once they bought it. I would get in trouble for telling customers they COULD upgrade their own hard drives and would even send them the link the DIY guide on Apple's support site for doing so. Apple was very bad about not making it clear to that particular contractor (Arise) that worked its phones what the actual rules were. I've even talked to some tier 1 AppleCare agents who mistakenly say it voids your warranty (and they were in-house employees).

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Does this DMG have any sort of DRM?

You can do this...I do it on the DPs and it works fine

Download Lion of App Store...then go to into your app folder and right click on the icon and go to Show Package Contents

Navigate to the SharedSupport and then you will see a .dmg file called InstallESD.dmg.

Copy that to a disk or USB drive using Disk Utility and you are all set with a bootable disk

I just did it again for DP4

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
But you have to read a blog post on a tech site to know about it. People with little to none computer skills won't find out.

Apple needs this automated in the installer GUI.

I said the process is easy, not the method to find the process. It's a simple right click, copy and drag into Disk Utility. I think the file can be burned onto single layer DVDs but I'm not sure yet. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.