PDA

View Full Version : New in DP4

baryon
Jun 6, 2011, 05:55 PM
Now that people should start being able to download DP4, post anything new that you find in it.

I don't have Lion myself, but from Apple's site I think I can tell that they have a new fabric background for Mission Control, and a new blue space-themed desktop background too, along with new brushed metal icons for Launchpad and Mission Control.

What else?

antmarobel
Jun 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Still downloading it...I have 15 MBs and it is soooooo slooooow...:mad:

gspannu
Jun 6, 2011, 08:03 PM
4 finger swipe down now back...

New GUI for Trackpad setting, I find it easier to use....

rorschach
Jun 6, 2011, 08:11 PM
Safari
-Downloads window is gone entirely. You can use only the popover via the toolbar button.

Launchpad
-New icon: round silver disc with a rocket ship icon in the middle.

Misc.
-Photo Booth automatically opens in full screen mode the first time you open it. If you leave full screen and quit, it remembers that.
-"Tap with two fingers" to right click removed. You can only "click with two fingers" to right click now.
-Trackpad and Mouse prefpanes redesigned
-Appearance prefpane renamed to General

tourada
Jun 6, 2011, 08:11 PM
overall fasterand "snappier" performance across the OS

lewis82
Jun 6, 2011, 08:24 PM
I remember seeing a new icon for Mail.app in the keynote... it was a silver disk with a postage stamp in the middle. Did it change? (I hope not, it's ugly)

HelveticaNeue
Jun 6, 2011, 08:39 PM
-"Tap with two fingers" to right click removed. You can only "click with two fingers" to right click now.

Are you serious? I give Apple a pass on most things, but I never click my trackpads, I am a tapper. I would be much obliged if any willing Devs would complain about this change. At least give us the option.

gumblecosby
Jun 6, 2011, 08:40 PM
What is the build number of this version?
Should be in "about this mac".

tsmith
Jun 6, 2011, 08:45 PM

11a480b

Sky Blue
Jun 6, 2011, 08:45 PM

whaaaaa?

I remember seeing a new icon for Mail.app in the keynote... it was a silver disk with a postage stamp in the middle. Did it change? (I hope not, it's ugly)

No, it's still the same.

tourada
Jun 6, 2011, 08:46 PM
Build 11A480b

rorschach
Jun 6, 2011, 08:46 PM
In Safari when you click a download link, an icon flies from the link up to the Downloads button in the toolbar.

Are you serious? I give Apple a pass on most things, but I never click my trackpads, I am a tapper. I would be much obliged if any willing Devs would complain about this change. At least give us the option.

http://i.imgur.com/txQSU.png

gumblecosby
Jun 6, 2011, 08:49 PM
11a480b

cheers

Mowd
Jun 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
Safari
-"Tap with two fingers" to right click removed. You can only "click with two
Can anyone confirm this?
It's incredible...

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
Jun 6, 2011, 08:54 PM
In Safari when you click a download link, an icon flies from the link up to the Downloads button in the toolbar.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/txQSU.png)

maybe because you have the "Tap to click" option disabled.

enable it and check again.

kikuchiyo
Jun 6, 2011, 08:55 PM
[

I will not upgrade if this make it in to the final release.

tourada
Jun 6, 2011, 08:58 PM
I will not upgrade if this make it in to the final release.

Working just fine for me. Tapping two finger right clicks.

colekins
Jun 6, 2011, 08:58 PM
hey can any of you upload the new default wallpaper shown today at wwdc?

thanks

xper
Jun 6, 2011, 09:06 PM
Anyone got DP4 through software update? Or is it http download only this time?

rorschach
Jun 6, 2011, 09:07 PM
maybe because you have the "Tap to click" option disabled.

enable it and check again.

Ah, there we go. Thanks. :)

I never single-tap, I only double tap so I didn't even think of it.

Sky Blue
Jun 6, 2011, 09:08 PM
you scared the crap out of me

altecXP
Jun 6, 2011, 09:10 PM

+1 Same with me lol.

Did the Safari white page when loading a new site get fixed?

rorschach
Jun 6, 2011, 09:14 PM

LOL sorry. Although I felt the same way. :eek:

FNH15
Jun 7, 2011, 12:27 AM
What does the trackpad pref pane show on Mac's with out official multitouch trackpads?? (i.e. an early 2008 MacBook)

FNH15

rorschach
Jun 7, 2011, 01:35 AM
So I installed the iCloud beta software for DP4 but I haven't been able to test it out. All I get is a button to "Upgrade to iCloud" but the website it opens just says that iCloud is coming soon.

http://i.imgur.com/JxX1i.png

ErikGrim
Jun 7, 2011, 01:46 AM
Just tell us if Safari is fixed already!

rorschach
Jun 7, 2011, 01:51 AM
Ok well I did a totally fresh install (wiped the partition) for DP4. Yes, Safari is a lot less buggy from what I've experienced so far. I haven't gotten that annoying "Reload" dialog that I used to get every few minutes in previous builds. No white pages so far.

Lukeit
Jun 7, 2011, 02:20 AM
I might be stubborn, but has anyone of you found a way to simply REMOVE from launchpad unwanted applications, but still have them in the app folder?

I don't want to DELETE permanently, but simply remove them...

Hope someone is luckier than me.
Thanks!

theBigD23
Jun 7, 2011, 03:22 AM
Any news on the multi-monitor and full screen apps? Can you have your second display use a full screen app?

Lukeit
Jun 7, 2011, 03:38 AM
One of the most remarkable yet nearly invisible improvement in Lion is the new function that lets you find and use the accented letters simply by keeping pressed the letter you want accented: it's a huge time saver for all those that (like me) need them a lot!
Beautiful!

baryon
Jun 7, 2011, 03:51 AM
Sounds like Lion will be pretty cool!

hellomoto4
Jun 7, 2011, 04:31 AM
Downloads window defaults to a bigger size now in Safari:
http://f.cl.ly/items/2n1i1C123p1C101U3a3Y/Screen%20Shot%202011-06-07%20at%207.27.00%20PM.png

Overall, Safari seems much snappier and better.
Also, Preview now scrolls bug-less. DP3 introduced a horrible scrolling bug.

4 finger swipe down now back...

Originally set OFF here, not too sure why. But if anyone's having issues maybe this is why.

One of the most remarkable yet nearly invisible improvement in Lion is the new function that lets you find and use the accented letters simply by keeping pressed the letter you want accented: it's a huge time saver for all those that (like me) need them a lot!
Beautiful!

Been there since DP3 at least :p

jdaha
Jun 7, 2011, 05:28 AM
Is it possible to create an iCloud account in DP4, including a new @me address?

KirkL
Jun 7, 2011, 07:35 AM
"-"Tap with two fingers" to right click removed. You can only "click with two fingers" to right click now."

WTF? How does this make any sense? :mad:

Edit: Nevermind. Read the other posts...

Krafty
Jun 7, 2011, 08:34 AM
No, the iCloud page says its not available until fall.

mrapplegate
Jun 7, 2011, 08:36 AM
Lion now has the safe download ( Malware) list in Security -> General Preferences.

Mango Juice
Jun 7, 2011, 09:09 AM
What exactly does this mean?
New appearance controls

OS X Lion includes editable ANSI colors in preferences and support for 256 colors and BCE (background color erase). The default TERM value is xterm-256color. Application windows support background images (including randomized images from folders), hidden scroll bars, and a new translucent view.
I don't think it's referring to just Terminal...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#unix

rorschach
Jun 7, 2011, 09:34 AM
Lion now has the safe download ( Malware) list in Security -> General Preferences.

So does Snow Leopard; it was added in the latest security update.

mrapplegate
Jun 7, 2011, 10:23 AM
So does Snow Leopard; it was added in the latest security update.

Yes, I know but SL has it. At the time Lion DP3 did not have it and it is new to DP4 so I posted it :D

celticpride678
Jun 7, 2011, 05:06 PM
Any news on the multi-monitor and full screen apps? Can you have your second display use a full screen app?

Nope. Still only one full screen app.

ErikGrim
Jun 7, 2011, 05:48 PM
What exactly does this mean?

I don't think it's referring to just Terminal...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#unix
It means that the terminal window now blurs the background as well as the translucent colour. It's not super-exciting.

netkas
Jun 7, 2011, 06:28 PM
you lookinf for icloud in wrong section, go to calendars/mails/etc (dont remember exact name, its where you can add accounts like gmail, exchange),

there you can add icloud acc, create one, then activate.

mrapplegate
Jun 7, 2011, 06:35 PM
you lookinf for icloud in wrong section, go to calendars/mails/etc (dont remember exact name, its where you can add accounts like gmail, exchange),

there you can add icloud acc, create one, then activate.
You need to download a 25MB installer (http://developer.apple.com/icloud/downloads/) first and have DP4 of course.

hellomoto4
Jun 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
I think this is new in DP4; Location Services indicator.

http://cl.ly/7PpX/Screen_Shot_2011-06-08_at_9.43.33_AM.png

Shows up when your computer is sending it's location, and lists the application using it. Also a settings pane in System Prefs > Security/Privacy > Privacy.

joelovesapple
Jun 7, 2011, 06:53 PM
I cannot wait to get this! The release date cannot come quickly enough IMHO.

And you can't deny: OS X has come a bloody long way in 10 years!

:apple::apple: :cool:

Lukeit
Jun 7, 2011, 08:42 PM
Sorry if this has been already asked and replied, but did not find an exhaustive answer.
I currently use Lion on my internal HD,and would like to make a fresh install of DP4. As developer I have downloaded the Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 4 from the app store and installed the usual way i.e. on top of DP3.

What are the steps to proceed to a fresh install and wipe the disk clean before DP4?
Should I install DP1 or go straight with DP4?

I read to restore the dmg (the one contained in the DP4 installer?) on a external drive (which I've done for other installations), but I don't know if it will work for DP4.

Anyone care to help me out?
Thanks a lot.

iFanaddic
Jun 7, 2011, 08:53 PM
Beautiful!

Holy crap! this is awesome! omg! french canadian here, with english keyboard!

tsmith
Jun 7, 2011, 09:20 PM
I might be stubborn, but has anyone of you found a way to simply REMOVE from launchpad unwanted applications, but still have them in the app folder?

Thanks!

I hear ya, i didn't know it deleted the app and i deleted a bunch of apps without knowing.

now I just move them all into 1 folder and call it trash apps or something

mrgstiffler
Jun 7, 2011, 09:21 PM
Can someone let me know if this is fixed/added back yet:

In SL, I can 4-finger down to activate Expose. Then I can either 4-finger up or 4-finger down to deactivate it. In DP1, you could only go the opposite direction to deactivate. This annoyed me because I always do the same direction to deactivate (4-finger down for expose, 4-down to close it. 4-finger up for desktop, 4-finger up to close it.)

xper
Jun 7, 2011, 09:38 PM
Does the adressbook work for you guys? It opens just fine for me but i cant change between contact, no mather what contact i click on it still only shows the information for the main contact, me.

celticpride678
Jun 7, 2011, 09:40 PM
Does the adressbook work for you guys? It opens just fine for me but i cant change between contact, no mather what contact i click on it still only shows the information for the main contact, me.

Working fine for me.

richard.mac
Jun 8, 2011, 12:48 AM
can you now right click System Preferences while its closed and choose a preference? in DP3 it wouldnt open the preference's window when choosing one.

this was a simple, but very handy feature they added in Leopard. would be very annoying if they didnt/forgot to add it.

hellomoto4
Jun 8, 2011, 12:53 AM
can you now right click System Preferences while its closed and choose a preference? in DP3 it wouldnt open the preference's window when choosing one.

this was a simple, but very handy feature they added in Leopard. would be very annoying if they didnt/forgot to add it.

Err the first time I tried it didn't work, so I tried again thrice and it's working again.

rmbrown09
Jun 8, 2011, 01:42 AM
new feature. No sound.
Can't tell what angle Apple is going with this one. Maybe this will draw all the quiet ambient type. Or mimes. Really edgy, don't know of any other OS that kills sound after an update, genius really.

Lukeit
Jun 8, 2011, 02:08 AM
new feature. No sound.
Can't tell what angle Apple is going with this one. Maybe this will draw all the quiet ambient type. Or mimes. Really edgy, don't know of any other OS that kills sound after an update, genius really.

I have sounds... if you mean notification sounds like "empty trash" etc...

richard.mac
Jun 8, 2011, 02:26 AM
Err the first time I tried it didn't work, so I tried again thrice and it's working again.

edit: tested and it works every time for me now.

MacManiac76
Jun 8, 2011, 02:49 AM
You can now turn off the application resume feature in the General preferences pane in System Preferences. Hopefully eventually it will be on a per-app basis since I would like to have it enabled for some apps, but not all.

cal6n
Jun 8, 2011, 03:29 AM
new feature. No sound.

I'm running SoundSource. It switched itself over to "headphones"...

theBigD23
Jun 8, 2011, 04:10 AM
Here are some, mainly minor bugs, in DP4 for me:

-Open System Preferences | Open a setting, Mouse for example. If you exit system preferences and then relaunch system preferences the window will open with a graphical glitch to the size of the mouse setting and then go back to the default system preferences window. It's quick.

-In Mission Control, the X button sometimes does not appear when hovering over a Desktop. I have to move it around a little while before it shows up. Same in DP3.

-Had some issues connecting to my QNAP NAS drive through AFP. I connected manually, but I was getting some weird issues. After some closing and opening Finder, my NAS drive connected and seems to work as in SL. I have not tested after a reboot.

-Don't know if this is in SL, but when I right click the hard drive icon on the desktop, there is a random option, "New Email with Attachment". I click it and it opens up mail, with a new message, and puts in an empty attachment that doesn't do anything. I don't know why this is in the contextual right click menu of the HD icon.

-Using my Magic Mouse, I double-tap with 3 fingers to look up a word in Dictionary, but it's not working. I can highlight and right click to get a definition, but the gesture does not work for me.

Not a bug, but i'm still finding it confusing to use Mission Control with dual monitors. I think it's too late for any changes, but it gets confusing with full screen apps and that each 1 Desktop has two screens that can move back and forth.

richard.mac
Jun 8, 2011, 06:20 AM
just did a fresh install of DP4 and the first thing i noticed was that the Dock lights are now on by default :O can't believe no one mentioned it yet :D

bizzle
Jun 8, 2011, 06:40 AM
You can now turn off the application resume feature in the General preferences pane in System Preferences. Hopefully eventually it will be on a per-app basis since I would like to have it enabled for some apps, but not all.

It's ulta annoying for System Preference to resume in the same panel. Why why why would they think just because I wanted to change some trackpad settings that the next time I open System Preferences that I want to do that again. I just disabled it all together.

kftrainer
Jun 8, 2011, 07:25 AM
In DP 3 you could go into System Preferences>Trackpad and change the scrolling to either with or without inertia .

Now it is not there and I cannot change the scrolling function to without inertia like I did in DP3.

Where can I adjust the setting in DP4 if there is one.
Right now I do not have that feature-the scrolling is very choppy and I have no way to adjust it

bizzle
Jun 8, 2011, 07:56 AM
In DP 3 you could go into System Preferences>Trackpad and change the scrolling to either with or without inertia .

Now it is not there and I cannot change the scrolling function to without inertia like I did in DP3.

Where can I adjust the setting in DP4 if there is one.
Right now I do not have that feature-the scrolling is very choppy and I have no way to adjust it
I noticed this as well. I disabled this in DP3 and the setting stuck when I upgraded to DP4, thankfully. I hated it with inertia.

Kubus
Jun 8, 2011, 08:34 AM
Holy crap! this is awesome! omg! french canadian here, with english keyboard!

Its still missing a Polish character for when you hold down the a. It only has 8 entries and is missing the a with the tail. --> ą

Beavix
Jun 8, 2011, 09:52 AM
Its still missing a Polish character for when you hold down the a. It only has 8 entries and is missing the a with the tail. --> ą

You have to enable the Polish keyboard in System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources.

Kubus
Jun 8, 2011, 09:56 AM
You have to enable the Polish keyboard in System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources.

Thanks!

rmbrown09
Jun 8, 2011, 10:11 AM
just did a fresh install of DP4 and the first thing i noticed was that the Dock lights are now on by default :O can't believe no one mentioned it yet :D

Oh I didn't even realize. That's good, makes it easier for us resource whores to keep stuff closed.

Cougarcat
Jun 8, 2011, 10:59 AM
It's ulta annoying for System Preference to resume in the same panel. Why why why would they think just because I wanted to change some trackpad settings that the next time I open System Preferences that I want to do that again. I just disabled it all together.

Does disabling this also disable resume on reboot?

xxDriveNxx
Jun 8, 2011, 11:07 AM
Is Web Sharing not working for anyone else? It acts like it's starting up, then fails to start. Sucks for trying to use my local SVN repositories.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
overall fasterand "snappier" performance across the OS

Yes, finally. I also noticed the improvement. Now almost on par with SL.

But scrolling in the Finder windows is still not smooth as with SL.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 01:00 PM
Mail is also very stable now. Not one crash report up to now. With DP3 I got many crashes when fast browsing messages.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 01:02 PM

Finally. :)

kristoffers4
Jun 8, 2011, 01:16 PM

Nope only on primary... Which is a shame.. It would be nice to run 2 full screen apps side by side..

Lord Appleseed
Jun 8, 2011, 01:21 PM

To be honest...I got totally used to the absence of the indicators with all that Lion usage...
I turned them off again in DP4.

wikus
Jun 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
Oh I didn't even realize. That's good, makes it easier for us resource whores to keep stuff closed.

also good on batteries if your on a laptop.

xgman
Jun 8, 2011, 02:47 PM

Thanks!

Yes it should be way more straight forward, but, you click with a 2 key hold down combination and then remove the icons (not the apps)

In order to delete items from Launchpad you must hold the following keys and click. The keys are Control, Option(alt), and Command.
Finally those pesky apps you hate are gone. How do you get them back to Launchpad you ask? Simply find the app and drag it on the launchpad icon.

Cheers.

Lukeit
Jun 8, 2011, 08:51 PM
Yes it should be way more straight forward, but, you click with a 2 key hold down combination and then remove the icons (not the apps)

In order to delete items from Launchpad you must hold the following keys and click. The keys are Control, Option(alt), and Command.
Finally those pesky apps you hate are gone. How do you get them back to Launchpad you ask? Simply find the app and drag it on the launchpad icon.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip, but this doesn't work anylonger on DP3 and DP4... I tried any possible key combination, but to no avail... remove is not possible ... only delete.
Hope they will restore this functionality in the final Lion version.
Thanks anyway.

wedge1
Jun 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
Can someone please check which versions of python and php are bundled with dp4? In Terminal:
php -v && python -V

innominato5090
Jun 12, 2011, 06:56 AM
Can someone please check which versions of python and php are bundled with dp4? In Terminal:
php -v && python -V
:)

C64
Jun 12, 2011, 07:57 AM
Beautiful!

But how does this work with repeating a key? Say I want to hold the "a" so it keeps adding the letter "a", as usual.

sudoash
Jun 12, 2011, 09:20 AM
But how does this work with repeating a key? Say I want to hold the "a" so it keeps adding the letter "a", as usual.

When would you ever need to do this? The accented letters would be far more useful, in my opinion.

wedge1
Jun 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
:)

Thanks! They're making progress...

C64
Jun 12, 2011, 09:24 AM
When would you ever need to do this? The accented letters would be far more useful, in my opinion.
When typing FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!! ? ;)

KirkL
Jun 12, 2011, 10:27 AM

When you're typing "aardvark" for example :)

fredcintra
Jun 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
Can someone let me know if this is fixed/added back yet:

In SL, I can 4-finger down to activate Expose. Then I can either 4-finger up or 4-finger down to deactivate it. In DP1, you could only go the opposite direction to deactivate. This annoyed me because I always do the same direction to deactivate (4-finger down for expose, 4-down to close it. 4-finger up for desktop, 4-finger up to close it.)

It's Fixed but only for Mission Control, All App windows exposť you still have to do the opposite gesture to deactivate

fredcintra
Jun 12, 2011, 09:48 PM

That doesn't happen here

I open System Preferences, click in a preference panel, close the window, open again and its not resumed

hollerz
Jun 13, 2011, 12:04 AM
When you're typing "aardvark" for example :)

Do you really hold down "a" to enter two characters?

Try just pressing it twice, it's far easier ;)

markrox7
Jun 13, 2011, 09:24 PM
do the retro games still play in terminal? Like tetris for example?

penadigital
Jun 14, 2011, 08:04 AM

But is it working? I mean, when I type in terminal "/usr/libexec/XProtectUpdater" it shows a message saying "Unexpected status code: 404".

And when I type "cat /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist" it says "No such file or directory".

Weird.

Guess it's not working for Lion yet. Or it works differently from SL?

KirkL
Jun 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
Do you really hold down "a" to enter two characters?

Try just pressing it twice, it's far easier ;)

Oh true. I actually do press it twice...I didn't even know it until I saw this post :D. But ya, now that I think about it I don't hold down any letters unless I'm IMing someone and trying to be obnoxious.

pjhamill
Jun 15, 2011, 08:04 AM

Yes it is, if you download the iCloud bundle from the dev center.