PDA

View Full Version : DP4 Installer Hang

scmaster53
Jun 6, 2011, 11:10 PM
Just downloaded and attempted to install DP4 on my 2010 MacBook Pro. I was watching the installer log and soon noticed that it was hanging on this

Jun 6 20:32:18 cpe-67-252-43-84 OSInstaller[331]: FileURLGetDYLDEntryPointWithImage(/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Librarian.framework/Librarian,LBGetAttributeValueForItem) failed

It would do this over and over again. I even reached the point where the installer window was telling me that I had "-2 minutes" to go.

Did anyone else have this issue? Thankfully I have win7 installed on this computer also. Im going to attempt to insert my SL disk and see if I can run some disk repair on my HD from there.

robincard
Jun 7, 2011, 06:29 AM
I've had the installer issue you describe on DP1,DP2 and DP3 on all three of my machines: iMac 2010, Macbook 2008, Macbook Pro 2009.

I'm reluctant to try DP4 now...

raveman
Jun 7, 2011, 09:20 AM
Trying to clean install lion dp 4 from SL on macbook pro 2011 15".
DP 4 installer hangs after first reboot –*trying to show installer.app window with progress bar and hangs.

Any ideas ?

Yamcha
Jun 7, 2011, 09:26 AM
sigh, again? I don't know why we have to suffer through this, I'm going to have to mirror my hard drive to an external one and see how it goes, I'd hate to break my Primary OS X Lion Hd, having to reinstall is a pain..

espoir
Jun 7, 2011, 09:30 AM
Trying to clean install lion dp 4 from SL on macbook pro 2011 15".
DP 4 installer hangs after first reboot –*trying to show installer.app window with progress bar and hangs.

Any ideas ?

Same for me - it hangs after the first reboot (macbook pro 2011)

raveman
Jun 7, 2011, 09:34 AM
Same for me - it hangs after the first reboot (macbook pro 2011)

Seems it is an issue on macbook pro 2011 – I was suspecting my ocz ssd drive in hanging (later there were difficulties to install snow leopard until ocz rolled out a new firmware).

espoir
Jun 7, 2011, 09:35 AM
Seems it is an issue on macbook pro 2011 – I was suspecting my ocz ssd drive in hanging (later there were difficulties to install snow leopard until ocz rolled out a new firmware).

Actually, I run into this problem after system update for the macbook pro. I already had DP2 installed at the time and counldn't load it anymore (it would hang just like DP4 installer hangs now)

raveman
Jun 7, 2011, 09:37 AM
DP3 worked fine with IO80211 kext from DP2.
DP3 failed to boot after an installation, but there were no any troubles with installing itself.

daneoni
Jun 7, 2011, 09:47 AM
I can't believe there are still problems with the 2011 machines. This thing is shipping next month!

RamGuy
Jun 7, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm also facing installation hang on my MacBook Pro 2011 model..

First it started of with hanging right after rebooting on the spinning circle beneath the Apple logo. So I attached my external hard drive containing the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Recovery DVD and I did a hard drive repair and permission repair and tried to install again and this time it manages to get past the spinning thingie but now it hangs the very same second the "Installing" window shows up, my cursor is stuck in the top left corner.

Nothing I can do it seems, I did also try to clone the installation over on an external hard drive but it hangs the very second the installation process is about to begin..

First it though this might be because I have replaced my superdrive with another SSD and running RAID0. But it seems like I'm not the only one facing problems?

Lukeit
Jun 7, 2011, 10:29 AM
Same here DP4 on iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor ... first try hanging and later on message saying install error try restart and install again... same story. This time did not even start installing but hanged at "preparing to install" screen.

All Ok on MacBook pro 17''

What's happening?

genu1ne
Jun 7, 2011, 10:39 AM
Same Problem! Freeze after Reboot and Installer launch. Now how can we get back to our old 10.6 system? It also freezes when I boot up my snow leopard install cd. Here it freezes with the black apple "bluescreen" and some terminal commands in the background...

raveman
Jun 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
Here is my screenshot – install hangs after the first reboot:
http://bob_ershov.fyels.com/dab.img

with cinema display removed – sometimes first install windows appers with the progress bar.
This is not SSD problem - I've tried to install onto 16GB Usb stick.

Atarikid
Jun 7, 2011, 12:25 PM
Tried several ways to install DP4. Clean install, update on DP3, update on SL, ... always the same result. Freezes after first boot.
Sometimes got a corrupted Apple logo boot screen but freezes nevertheless.

Macbook Pro 2011

Could well be a Appstore protection. If you don't officially download it from the Appstore it will not work.

Also, shame it will not be released on DVD

EDIT:
Wondering : why only 4GB? I mean, every full update DVD for Leopard and SL are at least 6GB.

Hactar
Jun 7, 2011, 01:11 PM
Same issue, macbookpro8,2, similar screen corruption to raveman. If I hold down shift I can boot into dp2, which I had on it before trying to upgrade. Sometimes it gets slightly further than the screen corruption, sometimes it doesnt even reach that.

Reseting smc, nvram, etc, did not help.

So annoying, dp3 didnt run either on this machine.

scmaster53
Jun 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
I was able to successfully get DP4 to install after I powered off the machine and ran disk repair/verify from my 10.6.3 SL DVD. I booted back into Lion and it recovered the installation and continued to hang on the same line. Then by some miracle it stopped and started extracting the core .pkg's from the SL DVD that was still in my opt drive. It then began copying them into the OS 10.7 installation and proceeded to finish up the install just fine. I'm now rocking DP4 and its pretty sweet.

I have no idea why it extracted the .pkgs from the SL DVD though...

inf
Jun 7, 2011, 01:28 PM
This is what I get if i try to install Lion DP4 (i'm now on dp3) at the moment (the attachment screenshot)

raveman
Jun 7, 2011, 01:34 PM
I was able to successfully get DP4 to install after I powered off the machine and ran disk repair/verify from my 10.6.3 SL DVD. I booted back into Lion and it recovered the installation and continued to hang on the same line. Then by some miracle it stopped and started extracting the core .pkg's from the SL DVD that was still in my opt drive. It then began copying them into the OS 10.7 installation and proceeded to finish up the install just fine. I'm now rocking DP4 and its pretty sweet.

I have no idea why it extracted the .pkgs from the SL DVD though...

I don't understand, what exactly is needing to be fixed? All partitions seems to be okey (booting installer in single mode and running fsck and other stuff).

Hactar
Jun 7, 2011, 01:37 PM
I don't understand, what exactly is needing to be fixed? All partitions seems to be okey (booting installer in single mode and running fsck and other stuff).

I dont think he has the same installation issue we are having raveman. Hes on a different machine and he gets to the installer, we dont even get that far, we only get that screen corruption.

It appears that the macbookpro8,2 doesnt play with dp4, I havent found any work around yet.

Atarikid
Jun 7, 2011, 01:40 PM
Maybe DP4 can only be updated from DP3?

Anyway, I cannot believe so many people having issues with DP? and the latest MBPs
Apple must be aware of this right?

scmaster53
Jun 7, 2011, 01:41 PM
I dont think he has the same installation issue we are having raveman. Hes on a different machine and he gets to the installer, we dont even get that far, we only get that screen corruption.

It appears that the macbookpro8,2 doesnt play with dp4, I havent found any work around yet.

Im on a 15inch 2010 Macbook Pro (Core i7 model). It seems that the 2011 models are still bugged to heck and back when it comes to DP4

raveman
Jun 7, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have strange feeling that there are problems with ATI/Intel cards and on-fly switching, which are in 2011 models. What if to delete or get from DP3 corresponding kexts ? (like with the wifi cards)

Hactar
Jun 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
I have strange feeling that there are problems with ATI/Intel cards and on-fly switching, which are in 2011 models. What if to delete corresponding kext ? (like with the wifi cards)

Have you tried the wifi kext thing? I was about to try that...

raveman
Jun 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
Have you tried the wifi kext thing? I was about to try that...

Yes, wifi was the first thing which was deleted. But there was no any kernel panics while booting. Only when switching to graphics mode system hangs.
Unfortunately I have no DP3 installed and I can't check this for now.

Hactar
Jun 7, 2011, 03:11 PM
Lol, got it booting. Heres what I did:

1) Took a second macbook pro (non early 2011, an older model), booted it from a lion dp4 DVD i made.
2) Hooked up my macbookpro8,2 (early 2011) and booted it in target disk mode, installed DP4 from the older macbook pro onto the new macbook pro via the firewire cable.
3) Followed the IO802 kext removal instructions from here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1145144

Notebook now boots (without wifi support).

Now I'll run the kext replacement instructions from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1145144 to get my wifi back.

Yeay! :D

JonasFalslev
Jun 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
Lol, got it booting. Heres what I did:

1) Took a second macbook pro (non early 2011, an older model), booted it from a lion dp4 DVD i made.
2) Hooked up my macbookpro8,2 (early 2011) and booted it in target disk mode, installed DP4 from the older macbook pro onto the new macbook pro via the firewire cable.
3) Followed the IO802 kext removal instructions from here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1145144

Notebook now boots (without wifi support).

Now I'll run the kext replacement instructions from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1145144 to get my wifi back.

Yeay! :D

That's great.. But honestly this is not an acceptable solution. Apple should roll out a fix ASAP. I'm obviously having the same problem, on a 2011 MacBook Pro. ********** paid 99$ only for DP4 only to discover i couldn't install. C***sucking Apple newbs

Lukeit
Jun 7, 2011, 08:48 PM
Same here DP4 on iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor ... first try hanging and later on message saying install error try restart and install again... same story. This time did not even start installing but hanged at "preparing to install" screen.

All Ok on MacBook pro 17''

What's happening?

I don't know what and how it has happened, but yesterday night I tried again after 3 or 4 other trials... it went through as it was the most natural thing in this world... same machine, same installer, same condition... it just installed and booted without a glitch!
I sincerely don't know what the heck is happening!

raveman
Jun 8, 2011, 12:06 AM
I don't know what and how it has happened, but yesterday night I tried again after 3 or 4 other trials... it went through as it was the most natural thing in this world... same machine, same installer, same condition... it just installed and booted without a glitch!
I sincerely don't know what the heck is happening!

On what machine ?

Lukeit
Jun 8, 2011, 01:15 AM
On what machine ?

On my iMac 2.8.... the same machine where the installer has hung for 4 or 5 times earlier. :confused::confused:

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 03:40 AM
Hi all,

Having had the same problems (hang at reboot) on my brand new (1 month old) MacBook Pro 13" i7, I just wanted to let you know that I finally managed to get it up and running.

- I booted into Single-user mode
- mounted the drive in rw
- did a file system check
- and last, but not least, renamed/deleted the IO80211Family.kext directory (in single user mode, it's seen as a directory, not as a file)

After that, the MacBook booted just fine and I'm up and running DP4 but without WLAN for now. I'll try to reinstall the DP2 next or even the SL one to see if that works.

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 03:54 AM
Hi all,

Having had the same problems (hang at reboot) on my brand new (1 month old) MacBook Pro 13" i7, I just wanted to let you know that I finally managed to get it up and running.

- I booted into Single-user mode
- mounted the drive in rw
- did a file system check
- and last, but not least, renamed/deleted the IO80211Family.kext directory (in single user mode, it's seen as a directory, not as a file)

After that, the MacBook booted just fine and I'm up and running DP4 but without WLAN for now. I'll try to reinstall the DP2 next or even the SL one to see if that works.

your steps?did you install in primary partition or second or what?or upgrade from dp3?

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 04:35 AM
Hi,
sorry I could have been more precise.

I did an upgrade of my running SL install on my primary disk / partition.
After the DP3 problems (I never got DP3 working ok on my Mac, having glitches with WLAN but also with the Graphics) and the announcement of the official launch next month, I figured that DP4 would be close enough to GM with the obvious DP3 pbs corrected and thus install over my SL would be just fine on my brand new machine. Ok, I was wrong on that one (did do a TimeMachine however prior to launching Lion install;) ).

So I launched the setup from within SL. After like 10 mins of copying the necessary files, the MacBook rebooted and hang straight away. I powered it off and then back on for like 2 or 3 times and finally got to the install screen. When I came back like 1h later I was once again blocked on the boot screen with the non-spinning wheel. So I don't precisely know when the bloody thing hang. From that point on, no way to boot. Normal boot would hang in the boot screen, boot into recovery HD would give me the same boot screen hang but the boot screen being in a flashy green color. Verbose boot would show me a hang right after a "Created virtif ..." line.

This is when I booted into single user mode to do a file system check and deletion of the IO80211Family.kext file/directory.

Hope this helps.

Bye

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hi,
sorry I could have been more precise.

I did an upgrade of my running SL install on my primary disk / partition.
After the DP3 problems (I never got DP3 working ok on my Mac, having glitches with WLAN but also with the Graphics) and the announcement of the official launch next month, I figured that DP4 would be close enough to GM with the obvious DP3 pbs corrected and thus install over my SL would be just fine on my brand new machine. Ok, I was wrong on that one (did do a TimeMachine however prior to launching Lion install;) ).

So I launched the setup from within SL. After like 10 mins of copying the necessary files, the MacBook rebooted and hang straight away. I powered it off and then back on for like 2 or 3 times and finally got to the install screen. When I came back like 1h later I was once again blocked on the boot screen with the non-spinning wheel. So I don't precisely know when the bloody thing hang. From that point on, no way to boot. Normal boot would hang in the boot screen, boot into recovery HD would give me the same boot screen hang but the boot screen being in a flashy green color. Verbose boot would show me a hang right after a "Created virtif ..." line.

This is when I booted into single user mode to do a file system check and deletion of the IO80211Family.kext file/directory.

Hope this helps.

Bye

tnx, i'm in single user now.. but disk1s3 is write locked..how to mount this?tnxx

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 04:51 AM
/sbin/mount -uw /

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 04:52 AM
/sbin/mount -uw /

tnx, try this but don't work..

kristoffers4
Jun 8, 2011, 04:59 AM
I had a problem installing it aswell, but I found a way to get it to install, I have a 2011 15" MBP btw..

When my MPB was booting I held the option key, then when your HD comes up hold CMD + S and press enter, now you're booting in safe mode, and the installation went fine..

But now I've got another problem, Lion is installed but it won't boot... It just stays at the grey screen with the logo in the middle and a spinning thing underneath it, but the spinning thing has stopped spinning, and doesn't do a thing... It just hangs there... Anyone got an idea?

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 05:11 AM
@omnikohh : Strange. What disk/partition you are booting into? The mount instruction I gave you is supposed to mount/promote the current disk/partition (node "/") into read/write mode. If you boot into another partition, you'll need to adjust the mount instruction accordingly or boot into SL if installed on one of the other partitions and then do it from within Finder.

@kristoffers4 : This is just the point I'm discussing right now. The boot hang seems to be due to the WLAN driver which is buggy in DP4 and already was in DP3. So first, you need to get rid of their driver by deleting / moving ore renaming it.

Either do so using single user mode or, if you have another working bootable partition with, let's say, Snow Leopard, you can do it from within that SL installation.

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 05:25 AM
@omnikohh : Strange. What disk/partition you are booting into? The mount instruction I gave you is supposed to mount/promote the current disk/partition (node "/") into read/write mode. If you boot into another partition, you'll need to adjust the mount instruction accordingly or boot into SL if installed on one of the other partitions and then do it from within Finder.

@kristoffers4 : This is just the point I'm discussing right now. The boot hang seems to be due to the WLAN driver which is buggy in DP4 and already was in DP3. So first, you need to get rid of their driver by deleting / moving ore renaming it.

Either do so using single user mode or, if you have another working bootable partition with, let's say, Snow Leopard, you can do it from within that SL installation.

Ok, now i'm installing for the third time SL on second partition, then try to launch dp4 installation from SL to Lion (clean) partition, then mbp restart and after i must enter in single user to delete IO80211? is it right? tnxx

bizzle
Jun 8, 2011, 05:27 AM
I had same error as OP and I just restarted and tried again and it was fine. This was an upgrade from DP3 to DP4.

raveman
Jun 8, 2011, 05:37 AM
Finally, I've got DP4 working on my macbook pro 2011.
From SL installing to clear partition.
1. When first reboot - nothing happens. I've connected booted into target mode macbook pro to white iMac and install booted correctly. But, when install are verifying computer data with apple website (oh yeah), there is an error: can't install to this mac. Ok.
2. Rebooting macbook pro from target mode and (sic!) and install GOES FINE! I have no idea why this is happening. Seems to me, that there are partition check in place, as mention earlier, but I cannot remount in rw mode root installer partition - always kernel errors whith "drive locked".
3. After install itself you need to boot into safe mode and remove /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext (delete or move to another place). exit.
4. You have clean lion install without wifi, but there are several link to DP2 version of the driver.

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 06:04 AM
Finally, I've got DP4 working on my macbook pro 2011.
From SL installing to clear partition.
1. When first reboot - nothing happens. I've connected booted into target mode macbook pro to white iMac and install booted correctly. But, when install are verifying computer data with apple website (oh yeah), there is an error: can't install to this mac. Ok.
2. Rebooting macbook pro from target mode and (sic!) and install GOES FINE! I have no idea why this is happening. Seems to me, that there are partition check in place, as mention earlier, but I cannot remount in rw mode root installer partition - always kernel errors whith "drive locked".
3. After install itself you need to boot into safe mode and remove /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext (delete or move to another place). exit.
4. You have clean lion install without wifi, but there are several link to DP2 version of the driver.

don't have a firewire cable :(

kristoffers4
Jun 8, 2011, 06:09 AM

Ok, I'm trying to delete the file in bootcamp using Windows, but that failed. Could you explain how to delete the file in Single-user mode? So I hold cmd+S during boot and then? Delete it in the command line?

OrinocoDelta
Jun 8, 2011, 06:54 AM
The same Problem here in Germany on my MBP 2011 early... Disk Utility, Verify and Repair didn´t worked. After Reboot the Installer Freezes... so any help! Why a Developer comes out that don´t work especially on the NEW MBP 2011 ??? Any News any Tips any Helps???

Maybe someone have a modified lion.app with the right wifi.kext so install will work?

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 07:59 AM
Ok, I'm trying to delete the file in bootcamp using Windows, but that failed. Could you explain how to delete the file in Single-user mode? So I hold cmd+S during boot and then? Delete it in the command line?

In Single-User Mode
a) to mount the partition in read-write mode (it's read-only):
/sbin/mount -uw /

b) to list all entries starting of with IO80 (just for control) :
ls /System/Library/Extensions/IO80*
(IO80211Family.kext should be listed if you're in the right directory)

c) to delete the extension
rm -rfv /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

or to just rename the extension :
mv /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext.bad

d) list again the IO80 extensions to check deletion or renaming did work :
ls IO80*

e) optionally you could adjust / check the ownership and privileges (but that can also be done in Lion from the disk utility) :

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
touch /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

That you should be it. Reboot and you should be good.

EDIT : Corrected typo in the code : Was IO20811Family.kext instead of IO80211Family.kext.

Obviously the correct is IO80211Family.kext
Sorry for that.

OrinocoDelta
Jun 8, 2011, 08:15 AM
so any solutions if only macbook´s pro 2011 early are present... i mean how we can manage that the wifi kext is not loading and how we´re able to reload from the SL version?

it´s not possible to re-arange the image with the right "old" kext and make a new bootable image?

xgman
Jun 8, 2011, 09:05 AM
All this is really ridiculous. It seems like this installer is more like an alpha build. Apple must be aware of this to some extent I would think. Can you imagine if this goes on on opening day? Sheesh.... :rolleyes:

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 10:12 AM
Sorry, had a type in my above post. Is now corrected.

In the meantime, I've tried to reinstall de IO80211Family.kext of DP4 and also the one from DP2. Neither seems to be working for me.

If I find something else I'll let you know.

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 10:24 AM
Ok, just to let you know that I got the WLAN working with the IO80211Family.kext from my latest SL TimeMachine backup. :):):)

No idea if it going to be stable, but right now, writing this post, I'm on WLAN only.

asgr8
Jun 8, 2011, 11:24 AM
This dp4 is pain. Tried installing from dp2 and it's hanging up restart on boot. I am glad that I installed Lion dp2 on another partition and my snow leopard is fine. But dp4 is unusable for now. I deleted wireless kext file from snow leopard but still same problem.

Just left it alone for now till some solution comes out. Hopefully soon. Don't like snow leopard at all after using Lion.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 11:40 AM
I finally got DP4 to work (without Wifi) on my MacBook Pro i7 2011.
Works kinda nice but my keyboard illuminate is always turned on (even when disabling this in the prefs). DP3 had the same issue.

BTW my beloved background (Aqua Graphite) is not available anymore. :-/

But I still cannot believe DP4 isn't installing the easy way on Apples latest MBP. The should be aware if this, not?

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 11:42 AM
Ok, just to let you know that I got the WLAN working with the IO80211Family.kext from my latest SL TimeMachine backup. :):):)

No idea if it going to be stable, but right now, writing this post, I'm on WLAN only.

Did you just copy the SnowLeopard IO80211Familty.kext to the Lion partition?

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 11:46 AM
I finally got DP4 to work (without Wifi) on my MacBook Pro i7 2011.
Works kinda nice but my keyboard illuminate is always turned on (even when disabling this in the prefs). DP3 had the same issue.

BTW my beloved background (Aqua Graphite) is not available anymore. :-/

But I still cannot believe DP4 isn't installing the easy way on Apples latest MBP. The should be aware if this, not?

your steps?? please... i can't install on same mbp..

LuMe96
Jun 8, 2011, 12:11 PM
Did you just copy the SnowLeopard IO80211Familty.kext to the Lion partition?

No, you'll need to "install" it. Either the hard way, i.e. copy it to the directory, adjust ownership / access rights / ...
OR you use kext helper : have a look here (http://cheetha.net/).

m.n.onat
Jun 8, 2011, 12:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

i guess i found a solution for MBP 2011 Users:

1: Start the installation from your main OS and select a target HDD...

2: DO NOT PRESS RESTART... first go to Finder and look for the Installation order and delet all the languages you don't need.

3: Now you can press Restart. while it is starting, press and hold the alt Button to select the Install HDD. Hold Alt+cmd+s

After a while the upcomming text is stopping.

4: type exit and it should Start the main installation.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 12:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

i guess i found a solution for MBP 2011 Users:

1: Start the installation from your main OS and select a target HDD...
2: DO NOT PRESS RESTART... first go to Finder and look for the Installation order and delet all the languages you don't need.
3: Now you can press Restart. while it is starting, press and hold the alt Button to select the Install HDD. Hold Alt+cmd+s
After a while the upcomming text is stopping.
4: type exit and it should Start the main installation.

That is exactly what I did. But removing the languages is not needed. So you can skip step 2.
I would also add the next step
5: after the installation you need to remove the IO80211Family.kext file too. Otherwise it will freeze on boot.

Some people seem to have luck with replacing the IO80211Family.kext with the SL version. But this didn't work for me. So no Wifi on my DP4 setup.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 12:53 PM
No, you'll need to "install" it. Either the hard way, i.e. copy it to the directory, adjust ownership / access rights / ...
OR you use kext helper : have a look here (http://cheetha.net/).

Must this be done when booted to DP4 or SL?

gsxrq
Jun 8, 2011, 01:45 PM
anyone got a working kext to send or link to
or tell me where to find it on disk
thanks

SmoothxCaller
Jun 8, 2011, 01:51 PM
Pfff I am not able to install it on my 2011 13" MacBook pro...
Is it possible to install as a non-developer??

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
anyone got a working kext to send or link to
or tell me where to find it on disk
thanks

try to install IO80211.. from dp2 software update package with pacifist... works for me in dp3...but i'm locked now in dp4 installation on mbp 2011 :((

flyinchriss
Jun 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
try to install IO80211.. from dp2 software update package with pacifist... works for me in dp3...but i'm locked now for dp4 installation on mbp 2011 :((

same problem but with an iMac anyone ??

kristoffers4
Jun 8, 2011, 02:12 PM
I'm running Lion DP4 on my 15" 2011 MBP core i7 just fine, had to boot in single-user mode to install, but all the rest went pretty fine.. The only issue I still have is that booting takes a long time (over 1min) and that every time it boots it shows a glitchy screen... It's weird..

markymark203
Jun 8, 2011, 02:35 PM
can anyone on 2009 Macbook Pro confirm the yellow triangle fix????

im stuck at work without a leopard disk, just the dp4 DMG file on my HDD

zenzen70
Jun 8, 2011, 02:50 PM
Here is an overview of my mac machines and where lion dp4 is working:

Macbook Pro 2011 i7 2.3 512 SSD No Success
iMac 2011 i7 1GB Working
Macbook Air 13" Working
Mac Mini 2.36 Working
iMac 24" Working

So i believe that it has something to do with the SSD can someone comment on this.

omnikohh
Jun 8, 2011, 02:55 PM
I'm running Lion DP4 on my 15" 2011 MBP core i7 just fine, had to boot in single-user mode to install, but all the rest went pretty fine.. The only issue I still have is that booting takes a long time (over 1min) and that every time it boots it shows a glitchy screen... It's weird..

don't understand...what's your steps?

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 02:55 PM

Glitchy/scrambled boot screen is also shown here.
This seems to be a ATI only issue.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 02:57 PM
So i believe that it has something to do with the SSD can someone comment on this.

My Macbook Pro i7 2011 doesn't have a SSD and has the same install issues. As far as I know it is not SSD related.

Try installing it in single user mode (CMD+S) and it will install. Removing the IO80211Family.kext is also needed for flawless booting.

flyinchriss
Jun 8, 2011, 03:07 PM
My Macbook Pro i7 2011 doesn't have a SSD and has the same install issues. As far as I know it is not SSD related.

Try installing it in single user mode (CMD+S) and it will install. Removing the IO80211Family.kext is also needed for flawless booting.

where and how remove IO80211family.kext ???

markymark203
Jun 8, 2011, 03:07 PM

mine isn't i7 either and i get the yellow triangle error loop. I just ran repair disk from linux safe mode. going to try again, ill update in a few....

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 03:11 PM
where and how remove IO80211family.kext ???

/system/library/extensions/io80211Family.kext

flyinchriss
Jun 8, 2011, 03:16 PM
/system/library/extensions/io80211Family.kext

on the mac after the install or in the installation disk before ?

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 03:20 PM
Ok my steps to install DP4 on my Macbook Pro i7 2011 on a external USB hd

1. Launch the DP4 installer from within SL
2. Choose a HD to install to. (in my case the external USB HD)
3. After it finished copying all files it asks to restart your computer
4. While restarting hold down the ALT key until the boot selector screen shows up.
5. Choose the Lion boot HD (in my case the external HD) and hold down CMD+S and press enter
6. It will now boot in Single mode.
7. It will drop some text lines and asking to exit.
8. Type exit and press return
9. It will now continue booting and the install screen will appear.
10. After the install do not boot to Lion yet. Boot into SL and remove the /system/library/extensions/io80211Family.kext on the Lion boot HD.
11. Now boot to Lion and it will work (without Wifi)

SmoothxCaller
Jun 8, 2011, 03:21 PM
Here is an overview of my mac machines and where lion dp4 is working:

Macbook Pro 2011 i7 2.3 512 SSD No Success
iMac 2011 i7 1GB Working
Macbook Air 13" Working
Mac Mini 2.36 Working
iMac 24" Working

And where did you download os x lion?
I mean, are you a registered developer?

flyinchriss
Jun 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
Ok my steps to install DP4 on my Macbook Pro i7 2011 on a external USB hd

1. Launch the DP4 installer from within SL
2. Choose a HD to install to. (in my case the external USB HD)
3. After it finished copying all files it asks to restart your computer
4. While restarting hold down the ALT key until the boot selector screen shows up.
5. Choose the Lion boot HD (in my case the external HD) and hold down CMD+S and press enter
6. It will now boot in Single mode.
7. It will drop some text lines and asking to exit.
8. Type exit and press return
9. It will now continue booting and the install screen will appear.
10. After the install do not boot to Lion yet. Boot into SL and remove the /system/library/extensions/io80211Family.kext on the Lion boot HD.
11. Now boot to Lion and it will work (without Wifi)

anyone get it with wifi fonctional ??

Antoni Nygaard
Jun 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
i'm running an iMac late 2009 and replaced the DVD Slot with SSD, and i'm trying to upgrade from DP4 to DP4. But when i have to select hard drive my SSD/Macintosh HD is greyed out and says that it can't boot from this hard drive. but i can choose my normal hard drive works fine.

so maybe it's SSD related

zenzen70
Jun 8, 2011, 03:33 PM

No i got it from a friend of mine who happens to live in Thailand and he has a friend who lives in China who in turn has a friend that attends the WWDC and is a developer and this friend has made a copy of Lion that he has uploaded to a file sharing site and this is how i downloaded Lion.....if i am a developer or not is my business and not yours to ask.

Also having purchased more than 40 mac machines in the last 5 years i really don't need to be a subscribed developer to have access to a legitimate copy of Lion, simply because my company needs it for testing.....hope this answers your question.

markymark203
Jun 8, 2011, 03:36 PM
Update: for all pre 2011 MacBook pro users getting the yellow triangle loop and install errors (possibly even those hanging on install) here's a fix that seems to be working for me.

-boot into single user (cmd s after chime)
-type "fsck -fy" without quotes
-run as many times until it says successfully repaired disk
-run install again

So far so good on mine. I'm about 1/2 way thru it when normally it'd error out within the first few minutes.

Atarikid
Jun 8, 2011, 03:43 PM

There are many 'other' places to download the full DP4. ;-)

SmoothxCaller
Jun 8, 2011, 03:44 PM
No i got it from a friend of mine who happens to live in Thailand and he has a friend who lives in China who in turn has a friend that attends the WWDC and is a developer and this friend has made a copy of Lion that he has uploaded to a file sharing site and this is how i downloaded Lion.....if i am a developer or not is my business and not yours to ask.

Also having purchased more than 40 mac machines in the last 5 years i really don't need to be a subscribed developer to have access to a legitimate copy of Lion, simply because my company needs it for testing.....hope this answers your question.

Thank you for that helpful answer!

kristoffers4
Jun 8, 2011, 03:46 PM
don't understand...what's your steps?

First I downloaded the .dmg
Installed it
System rebooted
started to install but hangs
so I boot in SingleUser mode
It installs just fine
It reboots
And hangs at boot
I boot in Single User mode
I try to delete this IO80211Family.kext but fail,
I reboot in a last attempt but to my surprise
Everything works! (incl Wi-Fi)

Thats exactly what I did....

flyinchriss
Jun 8, 2011, 04:10 PM
First I downloaded the .dmg
Installed it
System rebooted
started to install but hangs
so I boot in SingleUser mode
It installs just fine
It reboots
And hangs at boot
I boot in Single User mode
I try to delete this IO80211Family.kext but fail,
I reboot in a last attempt but to my surprise
Everything works! (incl Wi-Fi)

Thats exactly what I did....

and now u can reboot just fine ?

kristoffers4
Jun 8, 2011, 04:18 PM
and now u can reboot just fine ?

Well I can reboot, it takes a long time to boot though (over 1 min) and after the screen with the Apple logo there's a glitchy screen for a moment, which doesn't seem very normal...

markymark203
Jun 8, 2011, 05:04 PM
OK so now that Ive got dp4 up and running, how do i get my wifi back? seeing i didn't have to delete any wifi files...

junebug1
Jun 8, 2011, 06:31 PM
Wow did you guys have me prepared for total mayhem trying to install DP4 on my 17" 2011 MBP. Thankfully my install went smooth! To install I simply booted to my SL partition and ran the installer from there onto my existing DP3 partition. Took about 45 minutes, which seemed long to me, but I was also glued to the screen the whole time waiting for things to get crazy. It rebooted and loaded right up to pretty much how I'd left DP3. I've restarted multiple times and all seems well.

I still get this strange screen between the grey boot screen and actually loading into my desktop but it's been that way since DP3.

flyinchriss
Jun 8, 2011, 10:47 PM
Wow did you guys have me prepared for total mayhem trying to install DP4 on my 17" 2011 MBP. Thankfully my install went smooth! To install I simply booted to my SL partition and ran the installer from there onto my existing DP3 partition. Took about 45 minutes, which seemed long to me, but I was also glued to the screen the whole time waiting for things to get crazy. It rebooted and loaded right up to pretty much how I'd left DP3. I've restarted multiple times and all seems well.

I still get this strange screen between the grey boot screen and actually loading into my desktop but it's been that way since DP3.

I was so close do to it on my lmac and now it always black since the begegging after

ImAC on DP 3 some trouble firste time troubewith the sd4

waslallah
Jun 9, 2011, 12:42 AM
anyone get it with wifi fonctional ??

yeb, after the last step, i booted into Lion DP4,
- RE-installed the same file i deleted on step 9 using Kext Helper, on lion.

on a MBP 2011 i5.

asgr8
Jun 9, 2011, 03:33 AM
So i just installed Lion DP4 on MBP2011. I started with dp 2 and install and it hanged after reboot.I started Snow leopard and delete the kext file and reboot. Then i started installer safemode and it did complete the installation but without wifi.

Then i just went and install snow leopard wifi kext file with the kext helper and rebooted again and Wifi is working as well. So This is the way to go Guys.

Lion seemed a bit slow than dp 2 for some reason though :P

But i am glad that i am back to Lion. Just backing up now.

Lunchb0x8
Jun 9, 2011, 03:41 AM
I am having the dp4 hang issue after first reboot, install just hangs.

How can I get back to SL?

Sorry, I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to OSX.

Edit: disregard, got SL to boot.

Now setting up a second partition to test.

omnikohh
Jun 9, 2011, 03:48 AM
ok guys, now works fine in mbp 2011 with wifi installed (tnx to pacifist and dp2 update 1).If you try to boot in graphical mode, Lion takes 5/6 minutes to start...but if you boot in verbose mode, Lion start in 30 seconds...mmmm...

AlphaDogg
Jun 9, 2011, 09:17 PM
Help! I have tried everything to get DP4 to install on my 2010 MBP. The install fails because (according to the installer log) the fsck fails. Does this mean my HDD is bad? I clicked "repair disk" in disk utility, but it says everything is just fine. Thoughts?

Edit: Copied from the log that I saved:

Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Creating recovery volume.
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: donor disk's storage system is simple so it itself will be the donor
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: normalized donor: logical=0x7feb83c24ef8=disk0s2=****ow=(iflvuuid=(null)) physical=0x111ffecb0=disk0s2=****ow=disk0s2 storage=(null)
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: ensured donor is slice and on GPT
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: donor's whole-disk=0x111ffec10=disk0
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: ensured target and donor are reasonable sizes (>2GB) to support a full OS installation
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking target disk
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: doing fsck of simple donor slice=0x111ffecb0=disk0s2=****ow
Jun 9 19:31:47 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking file system
Jun 9 19:31:48 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Performing live verification.
Jun 9 19:31:48 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Jun 9 19:31:48 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking extents overflow file.
Jun 9 19:31:48 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking catalog file.
Jun 9 19:32:31 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking multi-linked files.
Jun 9 19:32:33 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking catalog hierarchy.
Jun 9 19:33:20 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking extended attributes file.
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking volume bitmap.
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Checking volume information.
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Invalid volume file count
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: (It should be 1137194 instead of 1137199)
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Invalid volume directory count
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: (It should be 237702 instead of 237697)
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: The volume ****ow was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: done fsck of donor slice; err=-69845
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: at Exit; err=-69845
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: recoveryDiskBSD=(null) physicalDonorBSD=disk0s2
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]: detach if set: didDiskImageAttach=0
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Recovery system creation failed with error -69845 (File system verify or repair failed)
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost diskmanagementd[316]: DM <-T-[DMToolBootPreference ensureRecoveryPartitionForVolume:]
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Failed to create recovery partition with because fsck failed.
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Unblessing target and failing install.
Jun 9 19:33:32 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Install failed: The Installer could not install the software.
Jun 9 19:33:33 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Allowing machine sleep.
Jun 9 19:33:33 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Memory statistics for 'Install Failed' pane:
Jun 9 19:33:33 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Physical Memory Allocation: 1831 MB wired, 258 MB trapped, 92 MB active, 63 MB inactive, 5948 MB free, 6103 MB usable, 8192 MB total
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost Unknown[297]: 2011-06-09 19:33 Mac OS X Installer[312] (CarbonCore.framework) FSEventStreamStart: ERROR: FSEvents_connect() => Unknown service name (1102)
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.1 - Client: coreservicesd, UID: 0, EUID: 0, GID: 0, EGID: 0
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.1 - ODNodeCreateWithName request, SessionID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, Name: /Local/Default
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.1 - loading configuration for '/Local' from '/System/Library/OpenDirectory/Configurations/Local.plist'
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: Loaded bundle at path '/System/Library/OpenDirectory/Modules/PlistFile.bundle'
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.1 - unable to find authentication module 'ConfigurationProfiles'
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.1 - unable to find service discovery callback for module 'PlistFile'
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: Registering for network changes
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: Registered subnode with name '/Local/Default'
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 91.2 - Internal request
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 91.2 - ODNodeCreateWithName request, SessionID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, Name: /Local/Default
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: Registering for power changes
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: Registering for network power changes
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.1, Node: /Local/Default - node assigned UUID - 422E7261-08E8-4D2E-B1A9-F00274947103
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.1, Node: /Local/Default - ODNodeCreateWithName completed
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 91.2, Node: /Local/Default - node assigned UUID - 248EC060-53C0-4C62-94CE-2EEA6A8EDE27
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 91.2, Node: /Local/Default - ODNodeCreateWithName completed
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 91.3, Module: PlistFile - Internal request
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.4 - Client: coreservicesd, UID: 0, EUID: 0, GID: 0, EGID: 0
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 91.3, Module: PlistFile - ODQueryCreateWithNode request, NodeID: 248EC060-53C0-4C62-94CE-2EEA6A8EDE27, RecordType(s): dsRecTypeStandard:Config, Attribute: dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordName, MatchType: EqualTo, Equality: CaseIgnore, Value(s): CIFSServer, Requested Attributes: dsAttrTypeStandard:XMLPlist,dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordName,dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordType, Max Results: 1
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.4 - ODQueryCreateWithNode request, NodeID: 422E7261-08E8-4D2E-B1A9-F00274947103, RecordType(s): dsRecTypeNative:config, Attribute: dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordName, MatchType: EqualTo, Equality: CaseExact, Value(s): SharePoints, Requested Attributes: dsAttributesAll, Max Results: 1
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.4, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - client is using a native record type 'config' which is not portable
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.4, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - client is using a native record type 'config' which is not portable
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 91.3, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - ODQueryCreateWithNode completed
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.4, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - ODQueryCreateWithNode completed
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.5 - Client: coreservicesd, UID: 0, EUID: 0, GID: 0, EGID: 0
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.5 - ODNodeCreateRecord request, NodeID: 422E7261-08E8-4D2E-B1A9-F00274947103, RecordType: dsRecTypeNative:config, RecordName: SharePoints, Attributes: <none>
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.5, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - client is using a native record type 'config' which is not portable
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.5, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - ODNodeCreateRecord completed, delivered 1 result
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.6 - Client: coreservicesd, UID: 0, EUID: 0, GID: 0, EGID: 0
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.6 - ODQueryCreateWithNode request, NodeID: 422E7261-08E8-4D2E-B1A9-F00274947103, RecordType(s): dsRecTypeNative:config/SharePoints, Attribute: dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordName, MatchType: Any, Equality: CaseExact, Value(s): dsRecordsAll, Requested Attributes: dsAttrTypeNative:ftp_guestaccess,dsAttrTypeNative:smb_name,dsAttrTypeNative:sharepoint_account_uuid, dsAttrTypeNative:smb_createmask,dsAttrTypeNative:sharepoint_version,dsAttrTypeStandard:AppleMetaNode Location,dsAttrTypeNative:afp_guestaccess,dsAttrTypeNative:afp_shared,dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordType, dsAttrTypeNative:ftp_shared,dsAttrTypeNative:afp_name,dsAttrTypeNative:smb_oplocks,dsAttrTypeNative: afp_use_parent_owner,dsAttrTypeNative:smb_directorymask,dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordName,dsAttrTypeNati ve:afp_use_parent_privs,dsAttrTypeNative:smb_guestaccess,dsAttrTypeNative:smb_inherit_permissions,ds AttrTypeStandard:AppleMetaRecordName,dsAttrTypeNative:smb_shared,dsAttrTypeNative:directory_path,dsA ttrTypeNative:smb_strictlocking,dsAttrTypeNative:sharepoint_group_id,dsAttrTypeNative:ftp_name, Max Results: 2147483647
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.6, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - client is using an old record type 'dsRecTypeNative:config/SharePoints' should be using kODRecordTypeSharePoints
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.6, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - client is using an old record type 'dsRecTypeNative:config/SharePoints' should be using kODRecordTypeSharePoints
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.6, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - flushing record '/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/config/SharePoints'
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: Module: PlistFile - ___index_record_block_invoke_1: sqlite3_prepare_v2: 21
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: Module: PlistFile - ___index_record_block_invoke_1: sqlite3_prepare_v2: 21
Jun 9 19:33:38 localhost opendirectoryd[91]: 298.6, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - ODQueryCreateWithNode completed
Jun 9 19:33:41 localhost OSInstaller[312]: Can not connect to /var/run/systemkeychaincheck.socket: No such file or directory

francewavidok
Jun 10, 2011, 01:54 AM
I got the DP2 IO80211family.kext file from these guys. Can confirm that its working great on my 2011 MBP =D
http://geektechtv.com/uncategorized/io80211family-kext-download-fix-wifi-2011-macbook-pros-running-lion-dp4

francewavidok
Jun 10, 2011, 06:16 AM
If anyone needs it, send me a PM

sstativa
Jun 10, 2011, 08:49 AM
Ok, I have the same problem. And look what I've found
http://lujun.info/2011/06/2011款mbp无法安装lion-develop-preivew-4解决方案/

Let's try do it.

SmoothxCaller
Jun 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
Lol he explains it in such a complicated way :o
Could somebody translate it in human language? :p

francewavidok
Jun 10, 2011, 09:45 AM
I will make a video on how to do it all tomorrow =D

loiphin
Jun 10, 2011, 09:46 AM
After messing around I finally got DP4 working on my 2011 Macbook Pro 15" Core i7:-

1. Installed a fresh copy of Snow Leopard

2. Ran the Lion DP4 install file within SL.

3. Rebooted once to continue installation. *Can't remember if I used CMD+S during reboot?*

4. When installation was about to finish, and countdown to reboot started, I quickly loaded Terminal. You will find it in the above menu. This stopped the countdown.

5. Renamed /System/Library/Extenstions/IO80211Family.kext to IO80211Family.kext.old

6. Quit terminal and rebooted.

7. Booted without any issue into Lion. Rebooted again to make sure. (no wifi at this point)

8. Once rebooted renamed IO80211Family.kext.old back to .kext and rebooted. *thats all I did!*

9. It picked up the kext without me having to mess with anything else. (No kextcache or kext helper or anything).

10. Now running Lion DP4 with Wifi on my Macbook Pro 2011 15" Core i7 :)

SmoothxCaller
Jun 10, 2011, 10:22 AM
Lion DP4 is installing now using the new guide on the website above!

sstativa
Jun 10, 2011, 11:07 AM
It's work!!! I've just installed DP4.

I have Macbook Pro 8.2 (Early 2011).

GiLLER
Jun 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
I also got Wifi working on my Macbook Pro 17" 2011 running Lion DP4 by using IO80211Family.kext from my old SL partition (installed using Kext Helper)

xgman
Jun 10, 2011, 12:33 PM
Am I the only one who finds this whole mess really disgraceful? I mean one month to launch and we have all this? To me this seems like an Alpha OS, not even Beta. To have to go through all these hoops to get this installed over Snow Leopard? I'm coming to really appreciate the smoothness of Snow Leopard right about now.

Atarikid
Jun 10, 2011, 02:13 PM
Am I the only one who finds this whole mess really disgraceful? I mean one month to launch and we have all this? To me this seems like an Alpha OS, not even Beta. To have to go through all these hoops to get this installed over Snow Leopard? I'm coming to really appreciate the smoothness of Snow Leopard right about now.

Yes, you are right. It is messy to say the least.
I bet all Macbook Pro 2011 owners are going to see a firmware update one of these days. The iMac 2011 that also got this issue are already patched.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38892/apple-imac-graphic-fw-update

No sure if it relates to what we encountered but it could.

About smoothness:
SL is way smoother in operating compared to Lion. Lion just doesn't feel right atm. It has jerky graphics animations at some point (resizing apps are not very smooth to say the least, opening a folder (window growing effect) is n't smooth either.
Not sure of this will be improved in the GM.

nutmac
Jun 10, 2011, 03:52 PM
If anyone needs it, send me a PM

It seems you've blocked PM. I get "francewavidok has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her." error.

francewavidok
Jun 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
Fixed, you can now send me PM's

melsawah
Jun 11, 2011, 08:53 AM
Hi there
i used the guide mentioned earlier went smoooothly,
after that i got the kext from here (http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1152)
and installed via kexthelper.
now a small question, i have a partition for BaseSystem can i erase this partition ?
thanks all :):D

sstativa
Jun 11, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hi there
i used the guide mentioned earlier went smoooothly,
after that i got the kext from here (http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1152)
and installed via kexthelper.
now a small question, i have a partition for BaseSystem can i erase this partition ?
thanks all :):D

Yep, why not?
I actually used a flash card as a second partition. After installation I eject it and everything work fine.

Mr.Awesome
Jun 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
I have exactly the same problem on my 2011 MBP, can't boot from SL dvd and can't go further that the apple loading screen.

My problem is I tried typing that "/sbin/mount -uw /" in order to delete the kext file but it still says it's read only and I cannot touch anything. Any clue ?

melsawah
Jun 12, 2011, 03:50 AM
Yep, why not?
I actually used a flash card as a second partition. After installation I eject it and everything work fine.

i confirm, partition deleted and every thing just works, small bugs though but it's a beta so..... GREAT beta :D
can't wait for the retail version :):apple:

Mr.Awesome
Jun 12, 2011, 03:58 AM
Really sorry to insist but I'm still stuck at the error "disk1s3: device is write locked" and I can't use my Mac. If anyone had a clue on how to at least be able to setup SL again you would save my life.

delwynnpawn
Jun 12, 2011, 04:03 AM
I'm also having this glitchy screen issue after the apple logo boot up screen... everything seems fine though and fsck-fy says my Macintosh HD appears to be fine. I believe this roots from the installer itself since I remember experiencing this glitchy screen the first time during the first reboot the installer will do after the initial start where it says 'preparing files etc' (still in snow leopard). i never experienced the hang after the first reboot, but i do experience a hang (stacked on a white screen after the apple logo screen) when booting in safe mode (now in lion). i never experienced wifi issues as well.

I heard there is already an update release from apple for dp4 with build number a11A480e, original dp4 build number is 11A480b. (more info here:http://att.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1168390a)

i hope this will be available soon and can fix all mbp 2011 issues. this glitchy screen worries me about the damage it might be causing to my screen/graphic card. (Sigh)

Atarikid
Jun 13, 2011, 12:49 AM
I heard there is already an update release from apple for dp4 with build number a11A480e, original dp4 build number is 11A480b. (more info here:http://att.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1168390a)

i hope this will be available soon and can fix all mbp 2011 issues. this glitchy screen worries me about the damage it might be causing to my screen/graphic card. (Sigh)

The new 11A480e does not fix the corrupted boot screen. Still happening on my Macbook Pro 2011 but the install wend fine with 11A480e.
Graphics speed are also now on par with SL with this latest update.

maralc
Jun 13, 2011, 06:34 AM
I've got the same frustrating problem with the 11A480a.

Somebody can give me a hint on where to download the 11A480e? Could not find anywhere.

Thanks

Atarikid
Jun 13, 2011, 06:40 AM
I've got the same frustrating problem with the 11A480a.

Somebody can give me a hint on where to download the 11A480e? Could not find anywhere.

Thanks

Delete the Lion install dmg and download it again with AppStore

daneoni
Jun 13, 2011, 09:46 AM
I don't think he was asking about the legit way...

iMacDragon
Jun 13, 2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think he was asking about the legit way...

From what I understand, you can only download each DP once via code redemption in any case?

menano
Jun 16, 2011, 08:17 PM
I have downloaded the new build and still can't install. I don't really think this is normal and I would not expect this from Apple, specially not on 'the best OS ever built'. I currently have DP2 installed as my only OS, I can't partition my external hard drive because it would have to be formatted and I can't lose what's in there, nor do I have space to keep it in while I would. Disk Utility ALWAYS crashes on me. I guess I'll have to wait for the GM, hope that won't bring any kind of trouble..

mclaren1444
Jun 16, 2011, 09:24 PM
I had a MBP and an iMac that wouldn't install. Both used Lion as the only OS on the computer. Here are the steps that got it working for me. Note: I deleted the old DP4.dmg and had the new one on my desktop at the start of this.

Here were my steps if anybody else has a problem.
1. Put in SL Disk
2. Repair Disk of Macintosh HD
3. Repair Disk Permissions of Macintosh HD
4. Quit Disk Utility
5. Restart the computer with usign Startup Disk.
6. Once system restarts, go into your Macintosh HD and delete the folder that says "Mac OS X Installer Data" or something along those lines.
7. Run Lion DP4 Installer
8. Let it restart and do its thing. It might hang and go back and forth and even have negative times remaining but eventually it will go if you leave it be.

iMacDragon
Jun 17, 2011, 02:26 AM
I have downloaded the new build and still can't install. I don't really think this is normal and I would not expect this from Apple, specially not on 'the best OS ever built'. I currently have DP2 installed as my only OS, I can't partition my external hard drive because it would have to be formatted and I can't lose what's in there, nor do I have space to keep it in while I would. Disk Utility ALWAYS crashes on me. I guess I'll have to wait for the GM, hope that won't bring any kind of trouble..

It worked for me on the new build, but I had to delete the 'Installer Files' folder from the destination drive that it had made on previous failed attempt, otherwise it just tried to continue using the old installer and fail.

menano
Jun 17, 2011, 06:52 AM
I can't find my SL dvd, ugh. I've tried repairing the disk countless times, and it always says everything 'seems to be ok'. I have deleted the folder Macintosh HD/Mac OSX Install Data before I tried installing this new build.. I'm running out of options. The GM can't come soon enough

evonietzsche
Jun 17, 2011, 06:54 AM
Hi everybody! just tryied a clean install on my MBP 11 with the last DP4 11480E, and when is trying to install it pops a message triangle exclamation saying couldn't find the needed components.

The log says com.apple.pkg.AdditionalEssentials not found
com.apple.pkg.SpeechVoices not found

So whats next?

Thanks!!!

tomvanzummeren
Jun 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
Apple fixed the issue!

Just update Lion DP4 using the Software Update and the issue with IO80211Family.kext will be resolved!

So what I did:

1) Either through Firewire or Single user mode remove the kext file to boot properly, but without WiFi
2) Go to software update and download and install the update (~1Gb)

All works fine now! Even after several reboots!

iMacDragon
Jun 18, 2011, 05:31 AM
Apple fixed the issue!

Just update Lion DP4 using the Software Update and the issue with IO80211Family.kext will be resolved!

So what I did:

1) Either through Firewire or Single user mode remove the kext file to boot properly, but without WiFi
2) Go to software update and download and install the update (~1Gb)

All works fine now! Even after several reboots!

For me, even deleting the kext didn't get it booting in first place, I needed the e build to get it booting at all, which then worked fine, and has since successfully updated too.