PDA

View Full Version : iPod reset

TyleRomeo
Mar 22, 2005, 02:26 PM
Anyone know another way besides holding down menu and play/pause to reset the ipod on a 3rd gen. MY mac isn't reading it and i just want to erase and start over with it.

Tyler

hcuar
Mar 22, 2005, 03:13 PM
Yup... Do the same thing with the iPod plugged into the AC adaptor... That will force a hard reset.

TyleRomeo
Mar 22, 2005, 03:32 PM
Yup... Do the same thing with the iPod plugged into the AC adaptor... That will force a hard reset.

tried that and the thing still just goes to a picture of a folder and and an ! in a triangle. Isn't there something to press with the scroll wheel or center button.

hcuar
Mar 22, 2005, 03:35 PM
tried that and the thing still just goes to a picture of a folder and and an ! in a triangle. Isn't there something to press with the scroll wheel or center button.

Well... I think it might be time to call Apple or take your iPod to the Apple store. It sounds like you have bigger problems than what you can fix. I think you might have a hardware problem. :(

Mav451
Mar 22, 2005, 03:42 PM
I had a similar problem, where my iPod (4th gen) was not working. The absolute key is that you MUST have your OS recognize it first. If OSX doesn't see it, the adapter won't be able to either.

When I finally got it to work, I ran iPod updater - I told it I wanted to do "Restore". Then, after a few moments, it told me to plug it into the AC Adapter. Then, and only then, will the adapter be able to perform a factory reset (or "restore").

TyleRomeo
Mar 23, 2005, 07:02 PM
I had a similar problem, where my iPod (4th gen) was not working. The absolute key is that you MUST have your OS recognize it first. If OSX doesn't see it, the adapter won't be able to either.

When I finally got it to work, I ran iPod updater - I told it I wanted to do "Restore". Then, after a few moments, it told me to plug it into the AC Adapter. Then, and only then, will the adapter be able to perform a factory reset (or "restore").

yeah the ipod just clicks when its tries to start up. Hard clicks then it gives up. The OS won't recognize it and I don't know of any other hard restart besides holding menu and play/pause. I know that there is another one that involves the scroll wheel but i can't get it work. this sucks a 40GB 3rd gen dead after a year and a half.