PDA

View Full Version : More Members for Folding@Home

Tiauguinho
Sep 21, 2002, 12:21 PM
We lost one more position... we need more members on our Team.

Help the Folding@Home Team Macrumors!

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage.detailed?q=3446

bousozoku
Sep 21, 2002, 02:16 PM
I noticed that there are a few members toward the bottom of the list who apparently turned it on once but have never turned it on again. If they would just contribute, it would help some.

If we start looking like MacCentral or the Apple team...

Tiauguinho
Sep 21, 2002, 08:43 PM
How many computer exactly do we have working on this? Another question that I would like to ask, is if you guys know if a new version of Folding Control is available to work on Jaguar?

jelloshotsrule
Sep 21, 2002, 08:50 PM
no new version of folding control i know of yet....

i have 2 processors going. one computer

and an imac 700 sometimes. very rarely now. just when i go home

bousozoku
Sep 21, 2002, 10:11 PM
I haven't seen anything new, although the terminal/shell version works just fine, even for multiple processor machines.

rugby
Sep 23, 2002, 02:04 PM
I'm putting 5 more Dell 1.7ghz boxes on our team. They're content filters at my work, but are massive overkill for the job.

Should I do the cli client for win2k or the regular one, minimized in the taskbar? I'm wondering if there really is a speed difference between them.

dnte42
Sep 23, 2002, 02:33 PM
Hopefully within the week I will be back up and running. My computer has been out for 2+ weeks since it decided to lose some system files. As soon as I can recover the data I want I'll be set again. Sigh.

bousozoku
Sep 23, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by rugby
I'm putting 5 more Dell 1.7ghz boxes on our team. They're content filters at my work, but are massive overkill for the job.

Should I do the cli client for win2k or the regular one, minimized in the taskbar? I'm wondering if there really is a speed difference between them.

Thanks! It'll make a big difference. I think that's the first time I was glad to have a Dell. :)

With Win2K, I would expect minimal difference although graphical applications always take up something more, even when they're idling.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 23, 2002, 10:08 PM
Well, those 5 dells, will be a nice addition. We might have to take a more intelligent approach and find out what members have the big resources to bring into play and get them on the team.

mc68k
Sep 24, 2002, 01:56 AM
i might try taking over the library machines

every little bit helps…

rugby
Sep 24, 2002, 06:41 AM
I wish they would come out with an alti-vec accelerated client for OS X. It would definitely speed things up for my Mac clients. They're getting wasted by my cheap-o Dual 1.3 ghz Duron computer at home. That thing kicks serious butt.

Heck, next year when we start moving to OS X on our workstations (mainly labs) it would be nice to have a hidden client. I used to have a hidden client on dnetc for OS 9, but it slowed the computers down a LOT. X would definitely multi-task better. I've got 120 eMacs I could throw it on here. Shoot, I've got about 1,000 G3's and higher here, but they're all running 9.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 24, 2002, 06:57 AM

Heck, next year when we start moving to OS X on our workstations (mainly labs) it would be nice to have a hidden client. I used to have a hidden client on dnetc for OS 9, but it slowed the computers down a LOT. X would definitely multi-task better. I've got 120 eMacs I could throw it on here. Shoot, I've got about 1,000 G3's and higher here, but they're all running 9.

Damn! That would 1000s of units a week....wow. But I agree with the alti-vec issue. Maybe in version 4. Is there any place we can go and request something from the people at folding@home?

D

mc68k
Sep 24, 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Damn! That would 1000s of units a week....wow. But I agree with the alti-vec issue. Maybe in version 4. Is there any place we can go and request something from the people at folding@home?

D This (http://forum.folding-community.org/) would probably be the best place.

…as for altivec, they won't have it til they switch their core to gromacs. Then the mac teams would rise in rank significantly.

bousozoku
Oct 1, 2002, 09:06 PM
At least, we're back to position 41, for the moment. :)

Stike
Oct 1, 2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
At least, we're back to position 41, for the moment. :)

Yeah, I played my part! Im folding like mad recently and made Folding a startup item. Its great for DSL flatrate!

But I had to skip SETI, it was slowing me down a LOT. :rolleyes:

Which one is now faster? Commandline or GUI version? Is it significant?

Rower_CPU
Oct 1, 2002, 10:24 PM
It's going to be a long haul to pass the next couple of teams...3000 points or so...

And with a couple of teams approaching from behind...

If our eMac lab ever comes in we'll have another 30 or so machines to add. :D

rugby
Oct 4, 2002, 06:49 AM
Rower, when you get your eMac lab in check all the computers for a snapping video problem. We had 120 eMacs come in and we're sending roughly 60 back to Apple (I personally know the head of iMac Support at Apple). Anyways, what happens is that when the eMacs are powered on the video makes a snapping sound and flashes on and off. It's rather disturbing, especially when kids are using these computers. Apple's discussion boards are filled with complaints about this, so they're probably fixed it by now. Just wanted to warn you to check this out.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 4, 2002, 07:05 AM
We should recruit teabgs, now that he's got his new dual 1.25.....he won't be rendering all the time.

Tiauguinho
Oct 4, 2002, 07:45 AM
Good idea Dukestreet! We should PM him and bring him to the Macrumors team.

Falleron
Oct 4, 2002, 08:13 AM
Hmm, I did a couple of units for Folding. However, I decided that until it used my G4's altivec I would not start again. Any progress on that front? I have a Dual 1Ghz so could do a fair amount!

Rower_CPU
Oct 4, 2002, 11:28 AM
Rower, when you get your eMac lab in check all the computers for a snapping video problem. We had 120 eMacs come in and we're sending roughly 60 back to Apple (I personally know the head of iMac Support at Apple). Anyways, what happens is that when the eMacs are powered on the video makes a snapping sound and flashes on and off. It's rather disturbing, especially when kids are using these computers. Apple's discussion boards are filled with complaints about this, so they're probably fixed it by now. Just wanted to warn you to check this out.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look for that.

It's still going to be a month or two before we might get them...hopefully there's a rev before then.

bousozoku
Oct 4, 2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
Hmm, I did a couple of units for Folding. However, I decided that until it used my G4's altivec I would not start again. Any progress on that front? I have a Dual 1Ghz so could do a fair amount!

Ummm...bad attitude. You could do a fair amount, full stop. The code might never be AltiVec-enhanced and we're certainly not in control. :) Contribute anyway, please.

Falleron
Oct 5, 2002, 04:19 AM
Is there a Folding Control Program that has the new v.3 core?

Falleron
Oct 5, 2002, 09:56 AM
Ok, I have downloaded the console version + am running 1 copy on my machine. I'll start doing my bit for the Folding team.

flanders
Oct 5, 2002, 10:29 AM
I've been running flat out on an IBM 800Mhz and a Dell 550. I'm going to add a 4 processor Compaq server on Monday and perhaps a second if that one works well. Gotta get our score up!

bousozoku
Oct 5, 2002, 11:00 AM
Ok, I have downloaded the console version + am running 1 copy on my machine. I'll start doing my bit for the Folding team.

Thanks for reconsidering! Do you have all the information you need to run it as local so that you may run one on each processor? I've been doing it for a bit so I would be happy to help. :)

Tiauguinho
Oct 5, 2002, 11:07 AM
Falleron and Flanders,

That the kind of spirit! Thanks for your effort! Lets take the Macrumors Team to the top!

mc68k
Oct 5, 2002, 11:11 AM
I'm really happy with our ouput as well. Besides having almost 100 members, we have a great deal more actively contributing than ever before.

I think with the kind of spirit we have, we'll be one of the top mac teams, in time. Keep up the great effort. :)

buffsldr
Oct 5, 2002, 11:35 AM
it's great to see more people getting into folding. i dont know how sucessful we will be in recruiting. we might be better off recruiting machines than members. any ideas on how to do that?

bousozoku
Oct 5, 2002, 12:44 PM
We've got almost 100 names on the team list now. A few haven't been active lately, though.

I also noticed that we've been passed by MacNN even though we're back at #41.

As far as recruiting machines, what does that really mean? Several members have added machines to their contribution already. I may upgrade an older machine to a G3 so I can try to run Mac OS X.

I still think we need the members who have done one or two work units to contribute regularly. I know it takes time on some machines. I've had some which take 5 or 6 days on my PM G3/400, but I believe it's worthwhile to help out in any way that we can. My dad suffers from memory loss but if what I'm contributing can help someone else's parents so they don't have to experience this mess, I will continue to do my best.

Falleron
Oct 5, 2002, 12:50 PM

Thanks for reconsidering! Do you have all the information you need to run it as local so that you may run one on each processor? I've been doing it for a bit so I would be happy to help. :)
Its just a question of setting up 2 versions of the commands line isn't it so that it runs on both processors? Anyway, for the moment I will stick at running on 1 processor - I still like to do some processing for SETI as well. I do think that the Folding project is a worth while cause though. I am determined to get myself a higher ranking though!! 56th position is a little low!

mc68k
Oct 5, 2002, 12:51 PM
Steps to recruiting machines:
--
• should you fold on it?
• can you fold on it?
• is it fast enough to complete a WU in a reasonable amount of time?
• if it is fast enough, can you keep it on for long periods?

When I look at a machine, these are the questiuons I ask. If the answer to all of these is yes, then please use it for folding.

mc68k
Oct 5, 2002, 12:56 PM

Its just a question of setting up 2 versions of the commands line isn't it so that it runs on both processors?If you or anyone else ever want to run it on both processors, I can make you a script.

There is also a way to run console folding w/o having to have the Terminal.app open (it involves root).

If any of this sounds appealing to anyone, I can provide more detials.

Falleron
Oct 5, 2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
If you or anyone else ever want to run it on both processors, I can make you a script.

There is also a way to run console folding w/o having to have the Terminal.app open (it involves root).
Cheers mc68k. Dont worry about it on my account for now. I'm sticking with 1 CPU at the moment. I am considering dropping SETI, so if that happens I'll let you know.

Rower_CPU
Oct 5, 2002, 01:54 PM
…
I also noticed that we've been passed by MacNN even though we're back at #41.
…

Actually they haven't passed us, we're just closing in on them. The last Mac team we passed was MacCentral, some 10,000 points ago...:D

Tiauguinho
Oct 5, 2002, 02:09 PM
Is there anyone with sufficient cocoa knowledge to port the Folding Control app. to 10.2? Since the move to Jaguar the app doesn't work anymore. Can we do this?

bousozoku
Oct 5, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Actually they haven't passed us, we're just closing in on them. The last Mac team we passed was MacCentral, some 10,000 points ago...:D

Ahhhh, now I feel much better. I noticed the Univ. of Hawaii at Manoa fell back...I guess we closed out a bunch of the bigger work units to reclaim our position. :)

mc68k
Oct 5, 2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Is there anyone with sufficient cocoa knowledge to port the Folding Control app. to 10.2? Since the move to Jaguar the app doesn't work anymore. Can we do this? The Folding Control app just executes commands like a script. The only difference is that it has a progress bar and requires an app to drive it (less CPU cycles for folding).

If you can go to /Users/[username]/Library/Folding@home/work/logfile_0#.txt periodically instead of looking at a progress bar, then I can make you a script. I might even be able to make one where it doesn't require Terminal to be open (more CPU cycles for folding).

It would be nice if someone could develop again, but in the meantime this is a viable solution.

bousozoku
Oct 5, 2002, 02:28 PM
Steps to recruiting machines:
--
• should you fold on it?
• can you fold on it?
• is it fast enough to complete a WU in a reasonable amount of time?
• if it is fast enough, can you keep it on for long periods?

When I look at a machine, these are the questiuons I ask. If the answer to all of these is yes, then please use it for folding.

Do the machines answer you? :D

mc68k
Oct 5, 2002, 02:31 PM
Do the machines answer you? :D LOL
I wish they could research and set themselves up, too.

Falleron
Oct 6, 2002, 04:43 AM
Ok this is weird! I left Folding running on my machine + came back to a message saying it had failed to connect (I presume it had finished a unit). Anyway, I connected to the net + the messages dissapeared and continued processing, I think. However, more than half a day on, there is no increase to my stats on the team page. Any ideas? Surely it cant take that long to update?

Tiauguinho
Oct 6, 2002, 04:56 AM
Falleron,

The stats take some time to update. But you'll be there!

mc68k,

I'll try to make the app, so that way we can have an option of choosing an app that it's much easier to set up. Can you please send me the scripts? With an option to enable 2 processors? Please PM me.

Falleron
Oct 6, 2002, 05:19 AM
Cool, its just been updated! Although it only gave me an extra 0.69 to my score :(

Tiauguinho
Oct 6, 2002, 05:49 AM
Falleron,

Here you can see the project summary:

http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

Take a look at the score of many proteins.

Here you can see the team stats:

http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

Take a look at both.

Happy folding!

Falleron
Oct 6, 2002, 05:56 AM
When I originally stated to fold (when the team was created) I used to get 6 point proteins to look at. Now, I get proteins that give me less than 1 score. Whats going on there? I thought it was just because my system was being benchmarked for the first unit - but the second protein is also tiny.

teabgs
Oct 6, 2002, 09:38 AM
So, if you quit to free up some CPU power.....it quits the WU? Is there a way to pause it, and have it start up again when you have available power? Cause I have 60% done on another unit but needed to stop it.....yeah

pc_convert?
Oct 6, 2002, 10:08 AM
I've built my new PC (AthlonXP1600+) so I'll start processing units again after my downtime...

pimentoLoaf
Oct 6, 2002, 10:59 AM

.... I may upgrade an older machine to a G3 so I can try to run Mac OS X.

osX runs fine on a g3 -- but Jaguar has a notice that it doesn't run on some g3 systems. Dunno what's going on for that to be so.

I think my antique system, a powerMac 6100/66 with 16mb RAM, is too inadequate for the task. :(

mc68k
Oct 6, 2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
So, if you quit to free up some CPU power.....it quits the WU? Is there a way to pause it, and have it start up again when you have available power? Folding takes the idle power of your CPU and folds with it. You won't notice any slowdown with it running.

If you quit folding, it stops folding at the last frame that was completed. 100 frames=1 WU. When you start folding back up, it will start folding at the frame it left off at.

mc68k
Oct 6, 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf

osX runs fine on a g3 -- but Jaguar has a notice that it doesn't run on some g3 systems. Dunno what's going on for that to be so.

I think my antique system, a powerMac 6100/66 with 16mb RAM, is too inadequate for the task. :( The utility I use linked in my signature will help those stubborn beige g3 systems run X too.

The 6100 is nubus based, and has a 601 CPU. Both of these factors make for certain that it will never run X.

teabgs
Oct 6, 2002, 01:59 PM
Folding takes the idle power of your CPU and folds with it. You won't notice any slowdown with it running.

If you quit folding, it stops folding at the last frame that was completed. 100 frames=1 WU. When you start folding back up, it will start folding at the frame it left off at.

oh, ok.....But I had 60% of one done and then it started it over......but the next time it started where it left off.........weird

Falleron
Oct 6, 2002, 02:05 PM
I'm on my way up the group page! Just passed another person! Sorry whoever that was.

mr.w
Oct 6, 2002, 02:39 PM
I thought my computer would be faster... I began folding last week on my new duak 1ghz DDR and only have .6 points and 1 WU (by the way what does WU stand for ?) How can i optimize my performance??? It seems like is has been running at least 8 hours a day. Is this expected?

mc68k
Oct 6, 2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by mr.w
I thought my computer would be faster... I began folding last week on my new duak 1ghz DDR and only have .6 points and 1 WU (by the way what does WU stand for ?) How can i optimize my performance??? It seems like is has been running at least 8 hours a day. Is this expected? WU is a work unit. It's a specified amount of folding on a protein. Some WU are worth more than others, becuase of the amount of CPU time they require.

The faster the WU is completed, the less processor time it accrued, therefore it's worth less.

Proteins can take a long time to fold. The core of folding does not take advantage of multimedia enhancements on processors, so the real measure is the MHz rating of the processor(s).

Also, the stats are not instant. Depending on what's happening on the folding side at Stanford, it can take a while to show up on thier statistics. They main key to folding, is just to be patient and let your computer fold as much as possible. Every little bit helps our team.

As with your specific situation, if you have dual processors, the folding app does not take advantage of them by default. If you want to fold on both of them, you'll need a script or some Unix know-how. If anyone's interested, let me know, I'll be glad to help you out. (maybe I'll just make a thread for this in the future).

bousozoku
Oct 6, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf

I think my antique system, a powerMac 6100/66 with 16mb RAM, is too inadequate for the task. :(

Sure, that's a NuBus machine. It was one of earlier PowerPC models...the 60 was earlier, of course. The one I'm wanting to convert is a PCI Mac Clone--a PowerComputing PowerCenter for which G3 upgrade cards and the wedge/firmware update is available to allow it to run Mac OS X, even if it's 10.1.5. It's a matter of money, rather than capability. :rolleyes: