Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vazkor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
What do you think about it? I'd get rid of it, if I could. Can I do it with Lion?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The Dock still serves a purpose, as it is a one-stop shop for the apps you want to access with one click. Mission Control is an upgraded Expose, while Launchpad is kind of a weird hybrid between stacks and your Applications folder in icon view.

kristoffers4

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
The Dock is intended to be a shortcut to your most used apps (safari, finder, mail, pages/word, iTunes,.... but Launchpad however, is a shortcut to access all your apps.... I don't wanna go to Launchpad every time i want to open mail, iTunes or safari, thats just loss of time :D Actually I won't use Launchpad that much as well, mostly i just press cmd+space and then type the program I need...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Yes, except for the fact that you still have badges and bouncing indications. So if someone sends me a Skype message and I'm not there to hear the sound, I will later still see the badge that says "1". Same thing with Mail. I don't have to go and check my mail every x minutes because Mail will simply display a badge on the dock icon.

Stacks are also very useful, especially the Downloads stack. I would not like to get rid of that.

If Apps with notifications could use some sort of integrated system notification, maybe at the top of the screen in the menu bar, that would make the Dock less important for me. It takes up a hell of a lot of space, and I hate hiding it as there's a delay between your mouse reaching the bottom of the screen and the dock appearing.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
When Steveo previewed Leopard, one touted feature that disappeared prior to the release was stacking applications to the left of the crosswalk. He showed stacks for folders, etc. But if you put your applications folder as a stack, you get a grid, fan and eventually option for a standing list, but it is huge. In my case my apps folder in my dock, even in grid view on a 24" iMac needs to be scrolled down to see all my apps. Steve had showed us how you could grab a select group of apps from the folder in finder and drag them to the dock to the left of the crosswalk to create a stack of those apps. For example you could put all office or all iLife apps in one stack. I think the reason this got scrubbed was that there was an issue with how the app would show in the dock while running. Does it come out of stack and show separately? So it disappeared. LaunchPad is their answer to this. iOS folders and grouping allow people with many apps to organize them. Your applications folder doesn't allow for this. You can't really move apps into subfolders and then stack those in 10.5 or 10.6. I'm pretty sure the App has to stay in the applications folder. So LaunchPad is their answer to this 3 years later.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Than Launchpad is useless :D

Ditto. IMO it serves absolutely no purpose. The gesture for it is hard and that is the only reasonable way to use it. Otherwise you need to either use Dock or Spotlight so instead of launching Launchpad, you could just launch the app you want to launch. Cmd + space for Spotlight is MUCH easier and more useful than Launchpad.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Ditto. IMO it serves absolutely no purpose. The gesture for it is hard and that is the only reasonable way to use it. Otherwise you need to either use Dock or Spotlight so instead of launching Launchpad, you could just launch the app you want to launch. Cmd + space for Spotlight is MUCH easier and more useful than Launchpad.

Agreed. I've always had the Applications folder in my dock, set to grid. I would do this on most macs I encounter (friends, public, etc) just to make it easier to launch applications that aren't on the dock.

I will say that Launchpad would make it easier for folks to access apps, without having to do what I said above (namely new users).

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

The gesture for it is hard? :p Only if there's something wrong with your hands, otherwise it's ridiculously easy.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Is it possible to choose what apps are in the launchpad or at least their order?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Agreed. I've always had the Applications folder in my dock, set to grid. I would do this on most macs I encounter (friends, public, etc) just to make it easier to launch applications that aren't on the dock.

I will say that Launchpad would make it easier for folks to access apps, without having to do what I said above (namely new users).

I can't stand grid. I much prefer having the Apps folder in list view on my dock

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Personally, I quite like launchpad on my MBA and I think it makes sense on small screen notebook. However, on my iMac it's a different story, and I can't imagine ever using it

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm not going to buy an Apple mouse, so no gestures for me.
Even with multitouch, I don't use gestures on my MBP.

But I'm not going to Lion without install DVD and Rosetta in the first place.

I don't want invisible scrollbars, either.

Most of the GUI stuff where Apple spends its time I don't use. I'm interested in more practical things.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
The gesture for it is hard? :p Only if there's something wrong with your hands, otherwise it's ridiculously easy.
This.

I am a hardcore cmd+space user when it comes to launching apps.

However, when I'm not actually working on the computer, like just browsing around on the internet, it's much easier, due to my hands already being on the trackpad, to just pinch and select an app.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I'm not going to buy an Apple mouse, so no gestures for me.
Even with multitouch, I don't use gestures on my MBP.

Most of the GUI stuff where Apple spends its time I don't use. I'm interested in more practical things.

Gestures are pretty damn practical, if you ask me. :p

one09jason

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2006
I am experimenting with the following idea:

I removed all apps from my dock. I use Launchpad or cmd-space to launch apps. Mission control or the old alt-tab to switch apps. The dock is then free to show status and update you. One look and you know how many apps are running, because now only running apps are in the dock. The right side of the dock is now free to use for minimizing documents you're working on, where before, your dock was so full of apps that there was no room. Essentially, the dock is now free to do what is does best.

What do you think?

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
More like with the dock launchpad is completely useless to me. And since they neutered Spaces so much, I have no choice but to use the awful Mission Control option. Lion feels like change for change's sake. Not because they were good ideas that would help us work more naturally.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Reverse it!

I would change the question to "With the Dock is Launchpad" useless?

I really don't get this one. My 10 most applications are in my dock and the ones I use once a week or so are in my application folder. What else do you need? Why the launchpad? I somewhat get it for a tablet but for a PC why? In fact I can launch an application quicker using spotlight.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I really think Launchpad is made to try and tempt Windows based iOS users come to Mac by showing some sort of familarity. Personally I do use Spotlight the most but it is another option for someone to launch their apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.