PDA

View Full Version : facetime not working - Lion DP4

ammcfc
Jun 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hi Mates,
Every time I try to sign in - this error occurred. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13225612/Screen%20Shot%202011-06-10%20at%2022.32.09.png
Anyone has success with FT + Lion DP4?

linkandzelda
Jun 10, 2011, 02:41 PM
Same problem :/

spencers
Jun 10, 2011, 02:52 PM
I logged in just fine.
edit: Just Facetimed my iPhone (iOS 5). Works fine too.

mrapplegate
Jun 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Same problem :/

Works fine for me. Just checked.

ammcfc
Jun 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
Some signing, some could not... So, what is the difference? Region, hardware...

mrapplegate
Jun 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
Some signing, some could not... So, what is the difference? Region, hardware...

Is your Apple ID a me.com email address?
Did you enter your whole email address or just eferf?

ammcfc
Jun 10, 2011, 04:02 PM
I know how to use FT very well ;)
The same error appear regardless I use my real apple id and password or random id and pass.

mrapplegate
Jun 10, 2011, 04:08 PM
I know how to use FT very well ;)
The same error appear regardless I use my real apple id and password or random id and pass.
I asked for clarification because your Error message is indicictive of a registration problem, not a password issue. An incorrect password shows a different error message.

mrapplegate
Jun 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Mates,
Every time I try to sign in - this error occurred. Image (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13225612/Screen%20Shot%202011-06-10%20at%2022.32.09.png)
Anyone has success with FT + Lion DP4?

What errors does the system log show?

ammcfc
Jun 10, 2011, 04:26 PM
11.06.11 00:23:49,957 imagent: [Warning] TRUST validation failed with result 5
11.06.11 00:23:49,958 imagent: [Warning] FTFaceTimeServerBag: URL bag data invalid (not valid)

mrapplegate
Jun 10, 2011, 04:32 PM
11.06.11 00:23:49,957 imagent: [Warning] TRUST validation failed with result 5
11.06.11 00:23:49,958 imagent: [Warning] FTFaceTimeServerBag: URL bag data invalid (not valid)

Does iChat work?

ammcfc
Jun 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
yes

mrapplegate
Jun 10, 2011, 04:53 PM
yes

What have you tried as far as troubleshooting?
Did you remove the com.apple.facetime.plist?

unaxillo
Jun 10, 2011, 06:00 PM
I have the same problem, but i had it in all the DPs :(

ammcfc
Jun 11, 2011, 12:35 AM
What have you tried as far as troubleshooting?
Did you remove the com.apple.facetime.plist?

Yes, it doesn't help

Remco
Jun 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
Identical problem here
Mac OS X Lion (10.7) (11A494a) (DP4 updated)
MacBookPro 5.1

removed .plist -> no effect
changed dns server (entered: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) -> no effect

anybody any clue how to solve this problem? Downgrade to SnowLeopard???

mrapplegate
Jun 30, 2011, 01:25 PM
Identical problem here
Mac OS X Lion (10.7) (11A494a) (DP4 updated)
MacBookPro 5.1

removed .plist -> no effect
changed dns server (entered: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) -> no effect

anybody any clue how to solve this problem? Downgrade to SnowLeopard???

I'm not sure. Wait and see what happens when it is released, or file a bug report. I'm not reading about widespread reports of it not working, so I would lean towards a bug.

donw35
Jun 30, 2011, 01:52 PM
No problem with it on my MacBookPro 5,1 and wife's MacBook but get the error on my Hack.

Remco
Jun 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
No problem with it on my MacBookPro 5,1 and wires MacBook but get the error on my Hack.

Are you running https://img.skitch.com/20110630-tq6h36k11ie6x8tej8tmts8sqr.jpg DP 4 (updated)?

donw35
Jul 2, 2011, 04:36 PM
Yes

Are you running Image (https://img.skitch.com/20110630-tq6h36k11ie6x8tej8tmts8sqr.jpg) DP 4 (updated)?

codymac
Jul 2, 2011, 05:14 PM
FWIW, I had to the same issue last night on 10.6.8.
:rolleyes:

It's probably coincidence, but I had iTunes open on my desktop - as soon as I closed it, I was able to log in to FT from my MBP.

Googling the issue last night brought up deleting a certificate that I didn't have.

donw35
Jul 2, 2011, 06:51 PM
After I read your post I realized that I have not opened/logged into iTunes but this didn't make any difference.

FWIW, I had to the same issue last night on 10.6.8.
:rolleyes:

It's probably coincidence, but I had iTunes open on my desktop - as soon as I closed it, I was able to log in to FT from my MBP.

Googling the issue last night brought up deleting a certificate that I didn't have.

codymac
Jul 2, 2011, 07:39 PM
After I read your post I realized that I have not opened/logged into iTunes but this didn't make any difference.

Might try googling around for the certificate solution. I found a lot of hits regarding it despite not having a matching certificate in my keychain.

FPSDavid
Jul 4, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'm getting this same error, Trust Validation stuff in the console. Can't find any fixes, I don't have the stated certificate from the fix people are talking about. Running on Lion GM.

DribbleCastle
Jul 5, 2011, 06:56 PM
Same issue here. I get the same errors in my console.

7/5/11 7:54:04.002 PM imagent: [Warning] TRUST validation failed with result 5
7/5/11 7:54:04.002 PM imagent: [Warning] FTFaceTimeServerBag: URL bag data invalid (not valid)

Worked fine with Snow Leopard, so I'm pretty sure the issue started when I installed the Lion GM. Other Macs with Lion GM do not have the problem. I tried deleting the certificate mentioned in the following link but had no luck. Only difference is that the other macs did not have FaceTime on them before the upgrade to Lion. I also checked the guest user account and it has the same problem so it does not seem like a user based issue. More machine specific.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20024894-263.html

Any new information out there?

scuzy
Jul 6, 2011, 01:24 AM
same issue here too. tried everything don't have the certs in my certs category.

mlevack
Jul 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
I have the new iMac i7 that I installed Lion on. I get the same error message as described in this thread. I also have the new 13" MBA released a few days ago - FT works perfectly.

I am curious if the issue has anything to do with the difference between a "Fresh" install of Lion, vs' an upgrade with a computer that already had FaceTime installed from the App store in 10.6. Just throwing that out there.

Looking forward to a fix :-)

craig1410
Jul 25, 2011, 06:59 AM
Hi Guys,

I've just helped a friend to get FaceTime working on Lion after he too received registration failure messages. This is Lion 10.7.0 from the App store by the way, not DP4 but I suspect the issue will be the same.

Just to cover all the things I did, here is a list, although it was the last item which actually got it working:

1. Ran KeyChain First Aid and found (and fixed) corruption.
2. Manually created a keychain password entry for FaceTime using the details on this post: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15722416#15722416
3. Reset his /etc/hosts file back to "normal". It appears that he had at some stage installed a questionable piece of Adobe related software which had inserted a bunch of entries into his hosts file to circumvent activation of the software. What is "normal"? Well for me it is as follows:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Anything more than above and this may be the cause of the problem.

I'm not going to go into details of how to fix the above items as I'm pushed for time just now but if anyone wants help with carrying out these steps then ask and I (or someone else) might be able to help later.

I hope this helps at least some of you get FaceTime up and running,
Craig.

wesrk
Jul 25, 2011, 05:50 PM
Same problem here. I'm running Lion from the AppStore on an early 08 mbp. The poster above mentioned some Adobe software, right after I installed Lion I installed flash. I'm not saying that's the cause I'm just pointing it out.

Apparently he found a solution, I have no idea how to do what he did though, so if anyone is feeling helpful, help me out.

craig1410
Jul 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hi,

Sorry I didn't have more time earlier to elaborate. Let me see if I can help a bit now.

I don't think installing Flash would have necessarily caused your problem as this is presumably (since it's free) genuine software. My friend had previously run a copy of CS4 or CS5 and it wasn't genuine so it needed some modifications to the hosts file to prevent the software from validating itself. This is a pretty standard way to prevent software validation and activation but shouldn't be necessary for genuine software such as Flash. I should mention that my friend has long since got rid of his CS4/CS5 installation as it was overkill for his needs anyway.

Anyway, first things first. KeyChain first aid.
0. Let me cover my a$$ by suggesting a backup before you make any system changes. Time Machine or a Clone is fine.
1. Open "KeyChain Access" (either type "KeyChain" into Spotlight and select the app or choose it from Applications - Utilities - Keychain Access
2. From the system menu "KeyChain Access" (beside the Apple Logo top left) select KeyChain First Aid.
3. In the window that pops up, your username should already be entered so just type your password (login password) and select verify and click start.
4. If any errors are reported then click Repair and then start again to repair them. Hopefully this will resolve any issues.

Try FaceTime again.

If that doesn't work then try the steps I mentioned in step 2 on my last post. Here is the link again. https://discussions.apple.com/message/15722416#15722416
If you need help with this then let me know and I'll try to give more details.

Try FaceTime again.

If that doesn't work then firstly, take a look at your hosts file and see if it matches mine from my last post. If you find it has loads of extra lines in it then come back to me and I'll try to help you fix it but you need to understand what the extra lines are for and I can't do that without seeing them.

To read your /etc/hosts file, do the following:

Click on Finder
Press Shift - Cmd - G to open the folder chooser dialogue.
Type /etc in the dialogue and click Go
Now look for a file called hosts and right-click on it (or Ctrl Click if you use a single button setup)
Choose "Open With" and then choose TextEdit as your application to open it. This may be the default anyway.
If the files is not the same as the lines I showed in my last post then copy and paste the entire file (assuming it is not huge) into a reply and I'll take a look. Editing the file is not quite so easy as it is a protected file which requires admin permissions to edit but we can cross that bridge if we need to.

Let me know how you get on with the above and if anything seems unclear. I'll be back online in 9 hours or so (9am BST). Good luck!
Craig.

wesrk
Jul 26, 2011, 08:28 AM
So I did option 1 and found nothing wrong, nothing to fix.
I did option 2 and still getting the same error, I followed the steps on the apple forums.
I am about to do step 3, so that's where I'm at. I'll update this post with my results.

My host file looks exactly like yours, line for line.

So, after these steps still no facetime working, BUT the red message now reads something different, now it says something along the lines of, impossible to connect, check your network connection and try again. I'm obviously able to go online since I'm sending this, so, how can we give FaceTime internet access?

wesrk
Jul 27, 2011, 03:35 PM
I just did a Lion reinstall, still no go on FaceTime.

craig1410
Jul 27, 2011, 03:48 PM
I just did a Lion reinstall, still no go on FaceTime.

Hi, I didn't see your update to your last post. Sorry to hear that your efforts haven't yielded success.

When you say you reinstalled Lion, did you install over the top of your existing installation or did you do a clean install? If you just did another normal installation then it doesn't surprise me that it still doesn't work as it will have picked up whatever isn't set correctly from your existing files.

Can you provide the exact wording of the error message you get now?

There is another "solution" for FaceTime issues kicking around that others have had success with. It involved deleting a particular key from the Keychain.

Other thing to check is if the Time and Date on your Mac are correct because if they are not then it can mess with the secure connection to FaceTime. They can be out by a few seconds and probably minutes but not by days, months or years.

Craig.

proimage1
Jul 27, 2011, 04:18 PM
I'm new using Macs - just made the switch a month ago - I tried using FaceTime and have been getting the same results as posted above - I called Apple and the tech did all he could do to fix it - then escalated up to a senior tech rep - he had no luck either and wanted to reinstall Lion - I for the most part resisted doing that - he called back yesterday and e-mail me an app that copies some stuff after it was installed and then had me e-mail him back the copies -- he was doing this for one of Apple's engineers to work on and told me he'd be back in touch as soon as he found out the solution and I think he will - he told me he'd call back a couple of days ago and he did yesterday. Evidently it's somewhat of a hit and miss with which systems it works on - I'm betting they'll figure it out and either release an update or post a fix on it. Since I'm new with Macs and had never used it - I'm not missing it anyway - I'm using Skype for now !

craig1410
Jul 27, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm new using Macs - just made the switch a month ago - I tried using FaceTime and have been getting the same results as posted above - I called Apple and the tech did all he could do to fix it - then escalated up to a senior tech rep - he had no luck either and wanted to reinstall Lion - I for the most part resisted doing that - he called back yesterday and e-mail me an app that copies some stuff after it was installed and then had me e-mail him back the copies -- he was doing this for one of Apple's engineers to work on and told me he'd be back in touch as soon as he found out the solution and I think he will - he told me he'd call back a couple of days ago and he did yesterday. Evidently it's somewhat of a hit and miss with which systems it works on - I'm betting they'll figure it out and either release an update or post a fix on it. Since I'm new with Macs and had never used it - I'm not missing it anyway - I'm using Skype for now !

Hi, my friend who I helped to get FaceTime working also called Applecare and went through a similar process to yourself but that was only a day or two after Lion was released and probably before the extent of the problem had been ascertained. Applecare were unable to help my friend which is why I stepped in. I'm an IT consultant and know my way around Unix systems and the Mac which is based on Unix but to be honest, the answers were to be found on the web already, I just pulled it together and went through the steps one at a time.

Here's another forum thread which covers this issue and is perhaps worth reading through: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2680495?start=45&tstart=0

Good luck!
Craig.

wesrk
Jul 28, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hi, I didn't see your update to your last post. Sorry to hear that your efforts haven't yielded success.

When you say you reinstalled Lion, did you install over the top of your existing installation or did you do a clean install? If you just did another normal installation then it doesn't surprise me that it still doesn't work as it will have picked up whatever isn't set correctly from your existing files.

Can you provide the exact wording of the error message you get now?

There is another "solution" for FaceTime issues kicking around that others have had success with. It involved deleting a particular key from the Keychain.

Other thing to check is if the Time and Date on your Mac are correct because if they are not then it can mess with the secure connection to FaceTime. They can be out by a few seconds and probably minutes but not by days, months or years.

Craig.

Clean install this time. The message I get is "impossible to connect, check your network connection and try again"
I will check the other thread and see if I can make it work. It works fine on my iMac but my old mbp is the one I take with me on the road which is where FaceTime would be useful.

PS. Just to mention, my Apple ID does connect fine using FaceTime on my iPad.

wesrk
Aug 1, 2011, 08:31 AM
Another fresh install of Lion and still no luck. Has anyone heard of other possible solutions?

nguyenjustin
Aug 2, 2011, 01:39 AM
FaceTime works on a freshly installation of lion. Using 2010 version of macbook pro

wesrk
Aug 2, 2011, 08:28 AM
FaceTime works on a freshly installation of lion. Using 2010 version of macbook pro

Yeah that's what I would have thought, but it is not working for me on a 2008 mbp. It works fine on my other mac, just not on this computer.

edit:
Working now. I would say what I did to make it work, but honestly I don't know. It just started working.

jdmcelica
Sep 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
For you hackintosh users, use Multibeast 4.0.2 to install the latest chimera and that should fix the facetime issue

peoplevoice
Sep 15, 2011, 06:46 PM
I have posted this message in a similar thread (Facetime: The server encountered an error....)

Go to "System Preferences"
Select "Date & Time"
Check "Set date and time automatically"

That worked for me!

MacUser1001
Oct 7, 2011, 04:46 AM
After downloading Lion from the App store, FT wouldn't even open for me anymore. The first thing I did was restart my computer with the little box marked "Reopen windows when logging back in" unchecked. After that, FT opened but I had the "registration failed" error. To solve this, I set my date & time to update automatically:

Select "Date & Time"

Now everything works fine. Thanks to all who have posted possible solutions here!

proimage1
Oct 7, 2011, 07:25 AM
I have posted this message in a similar thread (Facetime: The server encountered an error....)

Select "Date & Time"

That worked for me!

WOW - I haven't had FT work since I've had my new iMAC ( switched to Mac from PC 6 months ago ) -- Not even sure I'd ever even use FT, however I did want it to work. I went back and fourth with Tech Support at Apple for 2 weeks trying to fix the error -- Apple never did come up with a solution, so I eventually forgot about it. I was looking at the post here and came across this one - read through and saw this and gave it a try. It worked -- I'm sort of surprised that tech support hasn't figured this out and contacted me back with the fix ! At any rate, thanks to whoever figured it out !:D

MacUser1001
Oct 9, 2011, 04:39 AM
WOW - I haven't had FT work since I've had my new iMAC ( switched to Mac from PC 6 months ago ) -- Not even sure I'd ever even use FT, however I did want it to work. I went back and fourth with Tech Support at Apple for 2 weeks trying to fix the error -- Apple never did come up with a solution, so I eventually forgot about it. I was looking at the post here and came across this one - read through and saw this and gave it a try. It worked -- I'm sort of surprised that tech support hasn't figured this out and contacted me back with the fix ! At any rate, thanks to whoever figured it out !:D

Yes, THANKS to peoplevoice! ;)