Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
UK
After selling off all my PPC macs, I happened across an eMac on e8ay and got it for 99p.

Spec:
1.25 G4
1gb ram
40gb HDD

I am thinking of using it to play Warcraft III. Will it have the power to do that? Can the Radeon 9200 cope with WCIII?

What other things could I use it for? Perhaps an iTunes machine, as I'm told the built in speakers are quite ok? I need an excuse to keep it before the Mrs notices it....:eek:

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
WCIII will be fine, I used to play it on a G3 400 with a Rage 128 GPU, the Radeon 9200 is far more powerful. 99p is a bargin, enjoy the machine!

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
After selling off all my PPC macs, I happened across an eMac on e8ay and got it for 99p.

Spec:
1.25 G4
1gb ram
40gb HDD

I am thinking of using it to play Warcraft III. Will it have the power to do that? Can the Radeon 9200 cope with WCIII?

What other things could I use it for? Perhaps an iTunes machine, as I'm told the built in speakers are quite ok? I need an excuse to keep it before the Mrs notices it....:eek:

Just do what I do with my partner, tell her that she did know you had it, it has been around for years. This only works if you can intercept the arrival of it! A bargain for 99p, well done. I'm using my G4 for ripping CDs mainly, I have no idea if games are any good on it...

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Hey - nice pickup! Only problem with the eMac is that they're a nightmare to get into if you have to replace the HD. My wife still misses hers, even though she's got a 20" iMac now...

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
UK
Does it have a notebook sized IDE drive? 2.5"?

Tempted to just plug in an external USB disk, as it has USB2 and I hear they are a nightmare to service. Plus the risk of the CRT zapping you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.