Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I bought the 1st gen. 32 GB iPod touch when it first came out back in 2008. It served me well up to last spring/summer, when the headphone jack stopped working, only playing sound through one side of the headphones (right). Other than that, though, it's in great shape, as I kept a hard cover on it from day one.

Other than SOME apps (considering I can't update it past 3.1.3) still being available, what uses do I have? Is there an easy fix for the headphone jack? Or is this something I'm better off giving to a nephew with some preloaded kids' games on it and saying goodbye?

Last edited:

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
still good for internet, or a car system audio device that relies on the dock connector

You can also use it as a usb wifi stick

Can you elaborate?

Also, yeah I have a car stereo with USB input but navigating the music via the stereo is awful. Plus, I use my iPhone via auxiliary cable anyway. I'd love to just use my iPod via aux cable but like I said, the jack is broken and Apple told me it's not worth paying to fix it, which I don't doubt at all.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Can you elaborate?

Also, yeah I have a car stereo with USB input but navigating the music via the stereo is awful. Plus, I use my iPhone via auxiliary cable anyway. I'd love to just use my iPod via aux cable but like I said, the jack is broken and Apple told me it's not worth paying to fix it, which I don't doubt at all.

Are you sure your car stereo doesn't have a "passenger" feature that allows for navigating music on the ipod directly? I know I had to turn on a setting in mine as the default was control via the stereo only. May be worth looking into

Regarding a wifi stick, if you jailbreak it, you can use an app like PDAnet to give a non-wifi enabled comuter wifi capability via using the ipod as a receiver for wifi that is then transmitted via usb for your computer

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I use my first gen iPod Touch as a calendar/address book thing. Its mounted on the kitchen wall and the whole family uses it for stuff. Plus, it even syncs everything via Google so the other iDevices can use the calendar and contacts.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Are you sure your car stereo doesn't have a "passenger" feature that allows for navigating music on the ipod directly? I know I had to turn on a setting in mine as the default was control via the stereo only. May be worth looking into

Regarding a wifi stick, if you jailbreak it, you can use an app like PDAnet to give a non-wifi enabled comuter wifi capability via using the ipod as a receiver for wifi that is then transmitted via usb for your computer

I was thinking about jailbreaking it just to become familiar with the whole process and customize it so when/if I decide to do it to my iPhone 4, I'll be a little more knowledgeable, assuming the processes for each device are similar?

And I'm pretty sure, as when I connect it, it says "Accessory Connected" on the screen and doesn't allow me to use the iPod. I'll give it a second look though, just in case.

And yeah, I figured I could use as a PDA type thing for contacts and calendar functions, etc. It will just suck when iOS 5 comes out and MobileMe is replaced next June, all of that functionality will essentially be gone unless I transfer the info over to Google and rely on it, which I'd rather not go through the hassle of doing. If anything, I can install a Roku remote and the Apple Remote app and have a permanent Apple TV/MBP and Roku box remote.

cashinstinct

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Useless? No. Don't repair it, the cost to repair won't be worth it.

Less useful? Certainly...

It starts to age.

I would use it as a secondary device. Since you have an iPhone, that's what you do currently I assume.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I just don't know how much I'd use it even as a secondary device. Besides the permanent remote, many apps aren't functional on 3.1. And considering I almost always have my iPhone or iPad by my side, the remote function it would serve would go rather unused.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I just don't know how much I'd use it even as a secondary device. Besides the permanent remote, many apps aren't functional on 3.1. And considering I almost always have my iPhone or iPad by my side, the remote function it would serve would go rather unused.

Maybe you should sell it then. That's what I decided to do with mine since it was hardly being touched after receiving my iPhone which is way superior.

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Yeah, if you have an iphone it's pointless. They're the same device. But there are neat things you can do with it. Like mounting it in your car, on a wall, permanent remote, etc. And definitely jailbreak it. I still use my ipod touch 1st gen as my primary. My 4th gen touch still doesn't have as many features as my jailbroken 1st gen. I would jailbreak my 4th gen too, but there's no point since my 1st gen still does the job.

And as far as repairing the headphone jack, the cost is only $5 if you know what you're doing. I would never recommend taking anything to Apple for repairs (unless it's inside of warranty, which this definitely isn't). No repair on any apple product has ever taken me more than 1 hour, and never cost me more than $125 (a logic board and lcd replacement on a macbook). I repeat, NEVER take something to Apple outside of warranty for repairs. Heck, even the average Joe can go to ifixit.com now and repair anything by themselves.

Last edited:

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Yeah, if you have an iphone it's pointless. They're the same device. But there are neat things you can do with it. Like mounting it in your car, on a wall, permanent remote, etc. And definitely jailbreak it. I still use my ipod touch 1st gen as my primary. My 4th gen touch still doesn't have as many features as my jailbroken 1st gen. I would jailbreak my 4th gen too, but there's no point since my 1st gen still does the job.

And as far as repairing the headphone jack, the cost is only $5 if you know what you're doing. I would never recommend taking anything to Apple for repairs (unless it's inside of warranty, which this definitely isn't). No repair on any apple product has ever taken me more than 1 hour, and never cost me more than $125 (a logic board and lcd replacement on a macbook). I repeat, NEVER take something to Apple outside of warranty for repairs. Heck, even the average Joe can go to ifixit.com now and repair anything by themselves.

At this point, I really have nothing to use as it's seen absolutely no use for a year now and not expecting to unless I can fix the headphone jack. I found this link from iFixit but not familiar with the process. Is this the $5 solution you were referring to?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
At this point, I really have nothing to use as it's seen absolutely no use for a year now and not expecting to unless I can fix the headphone jack. I found this link from iFixit but not familiar with the process. Is this the $5 solution you were referring to?

I've got the same iPod. I use it every day (listening to music now). I love the fact that Apple has provided me with so many great software updates over the years. I would try the $5 fix. If you fail, no big deal, because no one is going to buy it broken anyhow.

I don't have an iPhone, but if I did, I think the iPod would be pretty much useless. I'll probably be getting some kind of smart phone in the fall instead, so I will probably retire my iPod then.

I couldn't be bothered to charge it for all the other uses people mentioned :(

kyleh206

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I would be interested in buying it. I've been looking for a flash based ipod to keep plugged into my stereo in my car.

redscience

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
If you don't want to open it up, you can get dock connector to headphone jack adapters for not much at all on ebay.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
If I were you I would just use your iPod touch as a PDA or Internet device, it's also hard to believe that the 1st gen. iPod touch is already almost a 4 year old device, and when iOS 5 comes out, it will probably be considered completely obsolete.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
it depends on the repair

I repeat, NEVER take something to Apple outside of warranty for repairs. Heck, even the average Joe can go to ifixit.com now and repair anything by themselves.

I know this isn't ipod related but I gotta share...

Apple has a flat rate repair for products that fall outside of warranty. The macbook pro is $350. Not bad if you need a LCD or logic board replaced with the peace of mind that :apple: guarantees the work for 90 days.

This is why I don't purchase apple care anymore. Its basically the same price and I may not need it after all.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky

Apple has a flat rate repair for products that fall outside of warranty. The macbook pro is $350. Not bad if you need a LCD or logic board replaced with the peace of mind that :apple: guarantees the work for 90 days.

This is why I don't purchase apple care anymore. Its basically the same price and I may not need it after all.

Is this public info? Like can I call or go online somewhere and see the repair rates by product? Or do you have to schedule an appointment and wry it out of them?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

That is the first I have heard of a flat rate. Do you have a link by chance?

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
If you don't want to open it up, you can get dock connector to headphone jack adapters for not much at all on ebay.

I looked into that, and apparently those are only good on the Classics, as they are basically a hard drive. The Touches don't act as an active hard drive, as they have an OS and whatnot, so that doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.