Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
I know this isn't ipod related but I gotta share...

Apple has a flat rate repair for products that fall outside of warranty. The macbook pro is $350. Not bad if you need a LCD or logic board replaced with the peace of mind that :apple: guarantees the work for 90 days.

This is why I don't purchase apple care anymore. Its basically the same price and I may not need it after all.

If this is true (it would be great), this will only work for Apple itself. It wouldn't work with authorized resellers/repairers outside the US (I speak out of experience).

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I looked into that, and apparently those are only good on the Classics, as they are basically a hard drive. The Touches don't act as an active hard drive, as they have an OS and whatnot, so that doesn't work.

This is very wrong. Instead of hard drives, iPod Touches have flash memory. Hard drive ≠ OS.

Edit: Plus, iPod Touches work on universal docks, which have audio outputs. They are able to utilize the audio output on the dock, to output audio to speakers/headphones. I'm guessing those adapters are just modified "guts" of a dock for just audio.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
This is very wrong. Instead of hard drives, iPod Touches have flash memory. Hard drive ≠ OS.

Edit: Plus, iPod Touches work on universal docks, which have audio outputs. They are able to utilize the audio output on the dock, to output audio to speakers/headphones. I'm guessing those adapters are just modified "guts" of a dock for just audio.

So these negative reviews are wrong?

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I was thinking about jailbreaking it just to become familiar with the whole process and customize it so when/if I decide to do it to my iPhone 4, I'll be a little more knowledgeable, assuming the processes for each device are similar?

And I'm pretty sure, as when I connect it, it says "Accessory Connected" on the screen and doesn't allow me to use the iPod. I'll give it a second look though, just in case.

And yeah, I figured I could use as a PDA type thing for contacts and calendar functions, etc. It will just suck when iOS 5 comes out and MobileMe is replaced next June, all of that functionality will essentially be gone unless I transfer the info over to Google and rely on it, which I'd rather not go through the hassle of doing. If anything, I can install a Roku remote and the Apple Remote app and have a permanent Apple TV/MBP and Roku box remote.

Get the Cyrus app "no accessory splash" that will let you get past the accessory connected and navigate the iPod directly while connected to your stereo. Also I recommend mywi on demand to tether to your iPhone.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Get the Cyrus app "no accessory splash" that will let you get past the accessory connected and navigate the iPod directly while connected to your stereo. Also I recommend mywi on demand to tether to your iPhone.

My iPhone's not JB'd. iPod is though (using it as a tool to get familiar with JB process). I'll definitely get the Cyrus app once I can load Cydia on my iPhone. It keeps giving me some error whenever I open it.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
My iPhone's not JB'd. iPod is though (using it as a tool to get familiar with JB process). I'll definitely get the Cyrus app once I can load Cydia on my iPhone. It keeps giving me some error whenever I open it.

It should say Cydia nor Cyrus!

The app you want is called NoAccessorySplash.

Good luck!

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
just out of curiosity, since I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread, Have you tried blowing out the headphone jack with a few quick bursts of compressed air? I had what sounds like the same headphone jack problem on my old 2nd gen touch and that compressed air trick always worked.

If nothing else, you could always try to find a decently priced FM transmitter accessory that plugs in via Dock connector and keep it in the car.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
just out of curiosity, since I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread, Have you tried blowing out the headphone jack with a few quick bursts of compressed air? I had what sounds like the same headphone jack problem on my old 2nd gen touch and that compressed air trick always worked.

If nothing else, you could always try to find a decently priced FM transmitter accessory that plugs in via Dock connector and keep it in the car.

I haven't tried that and I suppose I can. I just have a feeling it won't help ha.
And I personally do not like using those FM transmitters at all, hence why I spent the money to get an AUX and USB port installed into my car via aftermarket stereo.

I'm having problems with Cydia. It goes to load data and I get a "failed to fetch" error for two different repositories.

Now I know nothing about jailbreaking, as this is my first foray into it. So now my iPod touch is just saying "Reloading data" after I click okay and nothing is happening.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Nevermind, Cydia is fine. I tried to install that AccessorySplash app, and it went through what I presumed to be the right steps, then asked me to restart springboard, and now it's stuck on the booting screen with the circling lines spinning where normally the Apple logo is (or the Pineapple when it's jailbroken).

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Let it go for a few minutes. If it's still stuck, hold home + power for 15 seconds until you see an apple logo. This is a forced reboot.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
It should say Cydia nor Cyrus!

The app you want is called NoAccessorySplash.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for suggesting this to me. This basically resurrected my iPod to "useful" status again ha. I can finally listen to MUCH more music in my car than I could before thanks to this.

I have a playlist of most listened to tracks by band (determined by Last.fm) and it always took up a sizeable chunk (about 6 GB or so if I recall correctly). That was what I missed the most from my on-the-go music collection, but that has been changed.

Truly an iPod saver, you are.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Thanks so much for suggesting this to me. This basically resurrected my iPod to "useful" status again ha. I can finally listen to MUCH more music in my car than I could before thanks to this.

I have a playlist of most listened to tracks by band (determined by Last.fm) and it always took up a sizeable chunk (about 6 GB or so if I recall correctly). That was what I missed the most from my on-the-go music collection, but that has been changed.

Truly an iPod saver, you are.

Glad I could help!

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Get one of these...

If you don't want to open it up, you can get dock connector to headphone jack adapters for not much at all on ebay.

Yeah, I have something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Universal-Charger-Adapter-Connector/dp/B00499DZP0

I can't remember the exact brand, but it does the same basic thing: uses your dock connector to output sound through a headphone jack rather than the dedicated headphone jack on the device. Also, charges simultaneously. Works like a charm for me. No need for the headphone jack ever again.

Edit: I remembered what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-AutoPilot-Charger-iPhone-Packaging/dp/B003SX0O34
It's similar to the above product, but also has control buttons (Play/Pause, Forward. Backward). My only contention is that the dock connector on this one doesn't take abuse well. I was putting stress on it regularly and it eventually shorted out.

Last edited:

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
What are some other Cydia apps that may increase the functionality of my iPod? I'm going to mess around with the themes and displays to create as customized of an appearance as possible so any guides or tips on going about this would also really help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.