Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icuffcross_LRG-500x379.jpg

For geeks with Bond-esque style, Adafruit Industries have created iCufflinks. They're electronic cufflinks crafted out of machined aluminum with the standby or power symbol, International Electrotechnical Commission 5009, engraved on it.

That symbol, better known as the Power Button Logo on Macs, doesn't just light up on the iCufflink; it pulses like the sleep indicator on recent Macs.

The company didn't just emulate any pulsing LED, either. Adafruit reverse engineered Applessleep indicator, a technology Apple actually patented. Apple found that the by mimicking human breathing for their sleep indicator, it was more "psychologically appealing and superior" to other waveforms.

http://vimeo.com/25108667

The iCufflinks are currently sold out due to initial demand, but Adafruit hopes to have more in stock soon. They are available from Adafruit's online store for $128. The cufflinks are also open-source with source code, circuit board files and schematics published online.

Article Link: iCufflinks 'Pulse' Just Like Your Sleeping Mac

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I don't wear cufflinks very often, but if I did, I would totally want them to be these. This is pretty cool.

It almost makes me want to add cufflinks to my T-Shirts... Wear them like Pips

nempicardpipfp9.jpg

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I really want a pair. Even a flatter non pulsing version would be cool. My question is the battery replaceable and do they turn off?

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I do not know about you all but my Dell from 2006 has the same p[power button on the tower and the monitor. I believe this design is not exclusive to Apple but may be universal for moist computers

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
They're developing an iPrinceAlbert, reversed engineered from the iPhone "vibrate".

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
This is not the same rhythm as Apple's sleep indicator. The symbol is visible when the light is off - Apple's sleep indicator is not.

Poor effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.