Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Macbook Air. My 15' Macbook Pro (at 5.6lb) is way too heavy for me to carry everywhere I go (carrying it in a bag leaves scars on my shoulders). So I was wondering if the 0.5lbs between the 11' and 13' would actually make a difference when carrying it. I'm also wondering how much weight would my bag add up if i included the air's power adapter.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The difference is only 300g or about half an iPad so it's not THAT much. The adapter is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the one you've got for your 15" MacBook Pro.

The 13" MacBook Air is pretty much half the weight of your 15" - it's pretty impressive. I still love the 11" more though, just that much easier to carry around. It's the footprint rather than the weight difference, the 11" just seems to disappear into bags and stuff.

Septhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
So the 13.3 wouldn't be a pain to carry when i take it everywhere I go?

roseanne

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Holding in one hand, you can notice the weight difference but they feel like they're in the same ballpark. Both miles better than the 15" Pro.

The 11" MBA does feel more portable but, as someone else said, I think that is mostly the smaller footprint.

I think you would be very happy carrying either Air, after carrying a 15" Pro.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Macbook Air. My 15' Macbook Pro (at 5.6lb) is way too heavy for me to carry everywhere I go (carrying it in a bag leaves scars on my shoulders).

You have actual, permanent scars on your shoulders?

So I was wondering if the 0.5lbs between the 11' and 13' would actually make a difference when carrying it.

The weight difference between the 11 and 13 is 0.6 pounds, not 0.5 pounds. If this 0.6 ounces is so important to you, go to your local deli and get 2 orders of cheese, one that weighs 2.3 pounds and one that weighs 0.6 pounds. Put the 2.3 pounds of cheese n your bag and carry it around for a week. Then drop the 0.6 pounds of cheese in your bag and carry both around for a second week.

I'm also wondering how much weight would my bag add up if i included the air's power adapter.
Buy a third half pound of cheese and run the experiment for 3 weeks.

Note: At the end of the experiment, do not eat the cheese.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
its not the weight. If you are worried about the actual weight difference, you might as well not carry a laptop around with you at all. It's the form factor that matters. the 11" can easily fit into binders or smaller bags/purses that usually wouldn't fit a laptop, while the 13" is more like a everyday laptop, but lighter.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So the 13.3 wouldn't be a pain to carry when i take it everywhere I go?

No, quite the contrary. I travel a lot and weight is an issue for me; actually, I used to have a 15" MBP and last year I added a 13" MBA to it (and have since sold the MBP). The MBA is a pleasure to travel with.

I can't offer an opinion on the difference between the 11" and the 13" MBA but I imagine, as other posters have already said, that it is more a matter of form as both are very similar machines.

Cheers

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Well, I have both the 11" and 13" MBA, so let me weigh in:

If you're traveling a good deal, the 11" has one distinct advantage. You don't have to take it out of the bag at TSA checkpoints.

I can sail through most airport security lanes with my iPad and MBA still tucked in my bag, while all those PC laptop-lugging business types are busy unshucking their Dells and other monstrosities.

I love the 13" screen, but it has to come out of the bag. The 11" doesn't. I find myself using the 11" more and more often; the 13" is going to my wife.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
We have 3 -11" MBA's in our family, they are our go to,go everywhere, do everything machines. I run my business with mine, my Daughter is studying for her Masters with hers, my Wife surfs and does photo's with hers. WE LOVE the 11" MBA!:cool:
Cheffy, any idea if the 11" MBA can handle editing family-type videos? Not professional editing, just typical family kinda stuff. (with an external monitor, of course)

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Both are very portable machines, but the 11' is definately noticeably more portable and lighter than the 13' model. The 11' MBA is brilliant, highly recommended..

Septhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
You have actual, permanent scars on your shoulders?

No they are not permanent, but my shoulders turn really RED and it hurts when i carry the Pro with me around the University.

The weight difference between the 11 and 13 is 0.6 pounds, not 0.5 pounds. If this 0.6 ounces is so important to you, go to your local deli and get 2 orders of cheese, one that weighs 2.3 pounds and one that weighs 0.6 pounds. Put the 2.3 pounds of cheese n your bag and carry it around for a week. Then drop the 0.6 pounds of cheese in your bag and carry both around for a second week.

I'll try that. XD

Last edited:

kristoffers4

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
No they are not permanent, but my shoulders turn really RED and it hurts when i carry the Pro with me around the University.

I carry my MBP 15" plus the charger, a few books, a calculator, a notepad and a lab coat in my backpack at school and I don't have a problem with the weight. ..

Septhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I carry my MBP 15" plus the charger, a few books, a calculator, a notepad and a lab coat in my backpack at school and I don't have a problem with the weight. ..

What kind of Bag do you use? I'm carrying a messenger bag (maybe that is probably why). Don't like Backpacks XD

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Either MBA will feel significantly lighter and be a much nicer mobile experience than any MBP.

While the weight an size numbers may seem small consider that even a 13" MBP is on average twice the thickness and 50% heavier than the 13" MBA. The difference is even greater for the 11. As others have said, when comparing the 11" and 13" MBAs, the size is more significant than the weight but percentage wise the difference is still significant.

Your question about the power supply really brings up the more important point of total system weight. Once in the "air mindset", it's not just the savings in the weight of the laptop, but the smaller lighter accessories, smaller lighter bag, fewer things in the bag because it's smaller and lighter etc. It kind of builds on itself once you realize how light a load you can get away with and keep trimming things down.

When I switched from a 13" uMB to an 11" air, I didn't just save the initial couple of pounds. Over time i scaled everything down and went from a bag of stuff weighing 15 pounds to one weighting 5, with all the same capabilities.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Buy a third half pound of cheese and run the experiment for 3 weeks.

Note: At the end of the experiment, do not eat the cheese.

Get help. Seriously. Carrying stinky cheese around for weeks is only going to alienate people as well as not helping the OP any.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
What kind of Bag do you use? I'm carrying a messenger bag (maybe that is probably why). Don't like Backpacks XD

This.

Spend money on a good bag, stop carrying a messenger bag and get a backpack with a top handle designed for weight distribution.

In NYC I used to have to carry 3 laptops home at night, walking about a mile + trains. It became no issue when I was given an incase backpack with great padding, a chest strap and waist strap.

Tere comes a time when function > form. Did I feel like a knob end walking around with a chest strap on? No..because it beats walking around hunched over when I'm 65+. You can carry more weight than you think, but an unpadded one shoulder bag is a huge pain, literally. Ensure ther backpack has a top handle and you are covered.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Hello, I'm planning to purchase a Macbook Air. My 15' Macbook Pro (at 5.6lb) is way too heavy for me to carry everywhere I go (carrying it in a bag leaves scars on my shoulders). So I was wondering if the 0.5lbs between the 11' and 13' would actually make a difference when carrying it. I'm also wondering how much weight would my bag add up if i included the air's power adapter.

Um.... my backpack weighs at least 15 pounds, usually 25. Not counting my other stuff that I carry in my hands (laptop and binder). I will not notice an extra 10%. I have not idea how you get scars on your shoulders, buy a bag with better padding. I mean sure there is a difference in weight, but the average textbook will be like twice this difference.

Septhy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I use Messenger Bags because I find that they are more comfortable and accessible to use. I'm certainly going to get a backpack for my Macbook Pro, but I'm not planning to take it wherever I go. Thus, I'm looking for an air as an ultra-portable solution for my messenger bag so that I have a laptop on hand wherever I go and whenever I need it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The key to the MBA 11 is that it can fit in a much smaller bag (slightly bigger than an iPad pouch) that you can stuff less extra stuff into. So the combo of the lighter MBA, smaller bag, and less stuff in the bag can add up significantly.

The only problem with this technique is for guys who do or don't want to project a certain image, and can't find a "manly" enough small bag.

I keep one power adapter at the office and another at home so I don't even have to carry that with me most of the time (and spend time messing with winding up the cord, etc.)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Get help. Seriously. Carrying stinky cheese around for weeks is only going to alienate people as well as not helping the OP any.

Clearly, subtle sarcasm exceeds your comprehension abilities. You best stick with elementary concepts, like gravity.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
It boggles my mind what passes for sarcasm...cheese wouldn't qualify..well alright, it would...but that doesn't mean it was good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.