Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I cannot seem to find a list of Universal or Intel apps that still run a PPC installer. I'm actually surprised there isn't a sticky yet.

It's been mentioned that Office 2008 is among the "updated" universal apps stuck with an ancient installer but there are several other apps I use regularly such as Billings 3 and NEC Spectraview II on my Mac pro and i1Match with an i1Display 2 for my macbook pro that are mission critical.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
MathType is one of them I think. It requirers Rosetta when installing it but when installed running as Universal.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I hope so because while I understand it's my issue with using old software (even though 1 version "old" seems silly) but without calibration software there is no way I can move to Lion.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
possible workaround for office 2008

To the OP:

I was also wondering about this. It hadn't ocurred to me until I saw your post that office 2008, which I bought right after release with my current computer (which is only just 2 years old) can't be installed on lion due to the rosetta installer. I was like wtf! Totally killed my anticipation for lion.

But I looked around a bit and I found instuctions for snow leopard on how to install office 2008 via the terminal without using rosetta. I don't have acess to a developer preview. If anyone is using lion can you confirm that these instructions work on lion? I was planning on doing a clean install of lion on the second partition of my hard drive and gradually migrating to that partition as long as everything is functional but if I can't get office 2008 installed then it is a no go. That is literally the program I rely on for everything:(

Here is the link:
http://www.lifeintech.com/blog/2009/8/29/install-office-2008-without-rosetta.html

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Why aren't these programs using normal installers (which should be openable on any OS X version)? I know the OS X installer has a few annoying niggles, but it can be used to make perfectly good installers with only a minimum of swearing, I can't see the benefit of using an installer tool that produces a PPC binary?

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
The first Starcraft uses Rosetta to install, but I doubt anyone really cares haha.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
...but if I can't get office 2008 installed then it is a no go. That is literally the program I rely on for everything:(

Here is the link:
http://www.lifeintech.com/blog/2009/8/29/install-office-2008-without-rosetta.html

Awesome there is hope then. I agree that is one thing I cannot do without and there is nothing in 2011 that is worth the $200 it would cost to upgrade both of my machines for.

Right now Office 2008 and i1Match software (for my i1 Display2 puck) are going to hold me back. Sadly X-Rite said outright they are not updating it so that's a huge problem.

So sure Lion only costs $29 but after I upgrade to Office 2011 ($200) and a new puck + software for calibration ($150-200) Lion is going to be the most expensive upgrade ever.

*Note: I know it isn't Apple's fault directly but these 3rd parties that refuse to keep up with the times.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Why aren't these programs using normal installers (which should be openable on any OS X version)? I know the OS X installer has a few annoying niggles, but it can be used to make perfectly good installers with only a minimum of swearing, I can't see the benefit of using an installer tool that produces a PPC binary?

Because companies like X-Rite are lazy and want us to buy new expensive hardware/software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.