PDA

View Full Version : Next-Generation iPhone With 'Radical New Case Design' Coming in August?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/next-generation-iphone-with-radical-new-case-design-coming-in-august/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone51.jpg

BGR reports (http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/21/apple-iphone-5-to-be-major-update-after-all-announcement-and-availability-in-august/) that it has received word from a reliable source indicating that the next-generation iPhone will indeed be a significant departure from the existing iPhone 4 form factor, bringing a "radical new case design" for the handset. According to the source, Apple may be preparing for an event in early or mid August to introduce the next iPhone, which would become available in the last week of August.While Apple has indeed been giving some developers access to a device known as the iPhone 4S -- an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals -- BGR has independently confirmed that the next-generation iPhone will not merely be an upgraded iPhone 4 as had been previously rumored. We have been told by a reliable source to expect a radical new case design for the upcoming iPhone. We have not been given any additional details surrounding the design of the new iPhone case, though.BGR's claims contradict a number of other reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/iphone-5-shipping-in-september-with-faster-processor-similar-look/) that have claimed that Apple's next iPhone will appear nearly identical to the iPhone 4, with most improvements confined to the internals of the device. Several reports have also suggested that the new iPhone won't appear until the September-October timeframe, in line with the company's iPod-focused media event traditionally held around that time.

While BGR has demonstrated solid sourcing for Apple's iOS updates and offered some accurate information from Apple's retail store operations, the site has been less accurate with other recent claims. Recent misses include Back to School promo details (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-to-announce-back-to-school-promotion-at-wwdc-ipad-discounts-included/) and claimed MacBook Pro details (http://www.front.macrumors.com/2011/02/21/new-macbook-pros-to-carry-larger-trackpads-dedicated-ssd-for-mac-os-x/).

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone With 'Radical New Case Design' Coming in August? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/21/next-generation-iphone-with-radical-new-case-design-coming-in-august/)

Bloodiron
Jun 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
Bring. It. On.

NoNothing
Jun 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
The iPhone 4 became the "new" $49-$100 unit. I know. Won't happen...

MacBoobsPro
Jun 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
SJ has a hard on for curved glass. What's the betting? :D

alakazzam
Jun 21, 2011, 10:16 AM
Love it! iPhone rumors going to go bonkers for the next few months :)

HarryKeogh
Steve looks diesel on stage in that pic.

Sc24evr
I wonder how much it will cost for those of us that already have the iphone 4

longofest
Jun 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
I really feel skeptical about this. Don't pin your hopes on this one. There seems to be simply too much concensous on more of an iPhone 4S revision.

tcphoto
Jun 21, 2011, 10:19 AM
I will be eligible for an upgrade in two days and am prepared to skip a bump in specs and wait for the redesigned iPhone. It is encouraging to hear that the next version may be my next phone.

spencers
Jun 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Highly doubt this will happen.

OasisNYK
Jun 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
I really feel skeptical about this. Don't pin your hopes on this one. There seems to be simply too much concensous on more of an iPhone 4S revision.

I think the issue is Apple is letting way too much time go by between revisions so a spec bump might not be enough to keep the momentum going.

Given their history the 4S seems more likely but if you are a company in a war with Google that's probably not the best choice IMHO after leaving your previous hardware unchanged for over a year.

Reason077
Jun 21, 2011, 10:21 AM

It's going to be available 40% discount if you already own an iPhone 4 and want to extend your contract.

I heard this from my sister's friend's boyfriend who works at an Apple store, so its most likely true.

WannaGoMac
Jun 21, 2011, 10:21 AM
Lately hardware is less and less interesting, rather the software updates are usually more interesting.

With that said, the android hardware really is great. I would LOVE a larger screen iphone -- 4"

jackc
Jun 21, 2011, 10:22 AM
How radical can it really be? It's a box with a screen.

akatsuki
I can only hope they really go all in - the Nexus 4G rumors are pretty insane on the spec list, too bad the software sucks.

ericinboston
radical new case design != radical new phone.

lazyrighteye

Agreed.
With the Feb addition of the VZW iPhone 4 and the white iPhone 4 having "just" been made available, I would find it very surprising if Apple rolls out a completely new hardware design come late summer/fall. I've seen crazier, but it just doesn't feel right...

d0minick
Larger screen and rounder back anyone :D:D:D

the i4 is hell to hold it for a while.

Slurpy2k8
Jun 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
I like how theres been a universal assumption and agreement that the next phone will be 'identical' physically, and in other ways just a slight bump to the iPhone 4, based on... absolutely nothing. Everytime theres a consensus online about a future Apple carpet, it usually turns out completely wrong and the rug gets pulled from under them. Where did this 'consensus' come from? Its 1 or 2 unsubstantiated rumors, which all the tech blogs then repost and validate, then before you know it its 'fact'. We should know by now to expect the unexpected. Apple is good @ keeping secrets. Many of the new iOS5 features came out of left field, iCloud contained more than any rumor Id ever read about it, etc.

HelveticaNeue
Jun 21, 2011, 10:23 AM
Like the article says, I have faith in BGR when he pegs iOS update release dates but I don't find his hardware information holds water.

I really love the hardware on the iPhone 4 and kinda doubt that Apple would change it so quickly. However, if they do one thing's for sure: it won't be thicker.

840quadra
Jun 21, 2011, 10:26 AM
I think the issue is Apple is letting way too much time go by between revisions so a spec bump might not be enough to keep the momentum going.

Given their history the 4S seems more likely but if you are a company in a war with Google that's probably not the best choice IMHO after leaving your previous hardware unchanged for over a year.

Changing too much, too often, can also be a killer combination. Apple has a history of showing some reserve in their design changes. Familiarity, and ease of use also help sell units too. I don't envy their position in the marketplace, they have a much harder balancing act to deal with than their Android competitors.

liquid stereo
Jun 21, 2011, 10:27 AM
The iPhone 4 is a stylistic dead end. I would be surprised if the person who came up with its design ever does anything again. Its a brick. It doesn't feel nearly as nice as the 3G/3GS. And its a brick.

The next iPhone will most likely be a "descendant" of the iPhone 3.

igazza
Jun 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
Radical new antenna design more like it. :D

Dr McKay
Jun 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
1.17mm thinner and 0.6g lighter!

Powered by our new ultra-thin "Hummingbird" battery, which can power the phone for a full 17 minutes without charge!

motohooligan
Jun 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
It's going to be available 40% discount if you already own an iPhone 4 and want to extend your contract.

I heard this from my sister's friend's boyfriend who works at an Apple store, so its most likely true.

My uncle's dog's cousin's best friend's owner who cleans toilets next to an apple store said all new iPhones will be free...:rolleyes:

RobDee
Jun 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
... can you have?

I hope they go back to the 3 form factor though.

Neocron
Jun 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
Just a rumor.
Next iPhone will be same as iPhone 4 but with bumper glued on the device. That would be awesome.

zombierunner
Jun 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The next iPhone will indeed be radical .. You know why? ....iOS 5 !!! that's why!

Biolizard
Jun 21, 2011, 10:34 AM

But with very little actual hard evidence; only people pointing at the 3GS and going "Look! They did it before!". Yes. Once. That proves nowt. If I give you the sequence '1,2,...' what's the next number? 3? 4? It could be either (x+1 or 2x). We don't have enough iPhone history to make the assumptions people are making. And that assumes Apple are keeping to any kind of sequence at all.

The iPhone 4S does seem to exist, as a dev-only phone for now and is basically an iPhone 4 case with an A5 chip. Whether it becomes the 5th generation iPhone or whether we're in a for a new case design is still speculation and nothing else.

Personally, given how much effort Apple seems to have put into the iPhone 4 case, and especially in perfecting the white finish, I'd be surprised if they threw it away and started again. A redesign could easily happen though whilst still keeping the same manufacturing processes.

The August timing suggested baffles me though. People are still on holiday in August; surely for most impact (which we know Apple has a penchant for) you'd go for September as Apple normally does when the nights are drawing in and the next great thing to happen (Christmas) is months away.

JuanGuapo
Jun 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
If history is any indicator, it will likely be an iPhone "4S" before an "5" model. All around upgrades--Better x,y, and z but indistinguishable from the iPhone 4.

840quadra
Jun 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
The iPhone 4 is a stylistic dead end. I would be surprised if the person who came up with its design ever does anything again. Its a brick. It doesn't feel nearly as nice as the 3G/3GS. And its a brick.

Funny thing is, the retro-inspired design queues in the iPhone 4 are actually quite popular right now. Take a look at the Micro 4/3 camera market, many home appliances, and even some home entertainment equipment.

Oflife
Jun 21, 2011, 10:36 AM

Because in the context of your comment, I have no idea what diesel means. :P

Oh dear.

HitchHykr

The antennas are on the front and back and the screen is on the sides!

roocka
As Cramer would say, "BOOYAH".

Bear

Given their history the 4S seems more likely but if you are a company in a war with Google that's probably not the best choice IMHO after leaving your previous hardware unchanged for over a year.The competition with Google is not just the hardware. It's also the software. Or maybe especially the software now.

In either case I don't have a smartphone and at the rate the pricing plans are going in the US, I don't see myself having one anytime in the foreseeable future. The iPod Touch is nice however.

iBug2
Radical new antenna design more like it. :D

LOL indeed :)

MacTheSpoon
That'd be awesome. I guess we'll see...

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 10:37 AM
... can you have?

I hope they go back to the 3 form factor though.

I hope not. I'm stuck with the 3GS contract, and skipping the 4. It would be almost a 'null upgrade', at least visually.

If it's gonna be rounded, at least please get rid of the chrome!

maclaptop
Jun 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
I give Messrs Jobs a lot of respect for his one true skill. As one of the most clever salespeople on the planet, he has complete control over the leaks that go out via a variety of "legitimate" sources. If not for his cunning ability to strategize & manipulate, Apple sales would be but a shadow of the present results. In fact that's what concerns me when he departs. But that's another conversation.

To the topic of the upcoming model, it seems there is more reason than ever for him to pull out the smoke & mirror machines Apple owns. There's a lot riding on this launch, far more than most Apple followers care to acknowlegde.

azentropy
I wouldn't be surprised if the "4S" is probably just a test mule. Testing out the 5 internals in the 4 case.

macnchiefs
To me it looks like the old engadget crew probably nailed it with their report months ago on this.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/22/iphone-5-design/

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 21, 2011, 10:39 AM
As an owner of a 3GS who will have resisted upgrading to the iPhone 4 for 2 and a quarter years, I will be pissed if they don't throw in some new hardware.

A5, bigger screen, credit card scanner, more onboard storage, and something more ergonomically friendly than the 4 and I'd be happy.

bzudo
Jun 21, 2011, 10:39 AM
It seems to me the people that have recently purchased an iPhone 4 will disregard this rumor. Those that have a 3G/3GS will buy into it wholeheartedly.

OasisNYK
Jun 21, 2011, 10:40 AM
Changing too much, too often, can also be a killer combination. Apple has a history of showing some reserve in their design changes. Familiarity, and ease of use also help sell units too. I don't envy their position in the marketplace, they have a much harder balancing act to deal with than their Android competitors.

I don't disagree - too much change can be bad. They are in a tough position, I highly doubt we will see a radical new design this time around. I think the focus will be on iOS5 with better hardware and then the next phone will be a redesign.

I can see Apple wanting to milk their R&D efforts on the iphone 4's design for another year or two. It would be nice if it was a little thinner but I wouldn't want to sacrifice battery life. Some small changes would benefit it greatly though - a slightly more ergonomic design would be pretty sweet or an edge to edge screen. They can pull those off without totally overhauling the device.

ranReloaded
If history is any indicator, it will likely be an iPhone "4S" before an "5" model. All around upgrades--Better x,y, and z but indistinguishable from the iPhone 4.

Don't push 'History repeats itself' too far. Inductive reasoning is widely believed to be flawed nowadays.

Besides, it is a different time now than when the 3GS was released. It might require different decisions.

dustinsc
Let's hope! My contract with T-Mobile has been up for a while, and I need to upgrade from my jailbroken 3G.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
It seems to me the people that have recently purchased an iPhone 4 will disregard this rumor. Those that have a 3G/3GS will buy into it wholeheartedly.

QFT. Those of us who will be upgrading hope it will be something better than what those of us who will not be upgrading already have, while those of us who will not be upgrading hope what they already have is nearly indistinguishable from what they'll not be upgrading to.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
There doesn't seem to be anything behind this "rumor" other than hope + speculation, but it's a hope I have too.

iPhone 4 is a clunky step backward for Ive, & its aesthetic doesn't fit the rest of the line whatsoever. Add to that the antenna issues, twice as much breakable glass, gangly buttons and portholes everywhere.... can't wait to see what's next.

davelanger
Jun 21, 2011, 10:42 AM

they cant call it the 4s because the phone after that would be the iphone 6.
Apple wont confuse anyone anymore, so the next phone will be called the iphone 5 no matter what.

dustinsc
Jun 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
Don't push 'History repeats itself' too far. Inductive reasoning is widely believed to be flawed nowadays.

Besides, it is a different time now than when the 3GS was released. It might require different decisions.

Also, history is clearly not repeating itself in this case. If it were, we'd already have the "4S" (which, by the way, is a ridiculous name for a phone and doesn't fit the nomenclature at all)

mrblog47
Jun 21, 2011, 10:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Could well be coming in August. iOS 5 release date just says "coming Fall" which could mean August and I can see them releasing the new software and hardware at the same time to keep things nice and tidy. Whatever month the iPhone is released in, I think the software and the iPods are going to be released at the exact same event.

bandalay
Is that we're getting a refresh in September.

Apple has stuck to the annual refresh through three upgrades. Then something shifted things.

One could attribute the shift to new industrial design, testing and parallel manufacturing…I'm not even sure the iPhone 4 design has even completed rollout to all territories?

Or perhaps this is time to bring in a second form factor, so we get a 4S, plus iPhone X in September with a big event in August to drive folks mad.

If it is a second device which remaining vector does Apple push against? Price? Size? Compatibility?

dustinsc
Apple wont confuse anyone anymore, so the next phone will be called the iphone 5 no matter what.

Haha. Same thought at the same time.

Alchematron
It better have a bigger screen!

Having to scroll left and right to read each line of text on a web page is such a friggin pain! :mad:

vnowarita
Jun 21, 2011, 10:44 AM
Needs to be different!! Too many new competitor phones out there since last June for just a minor update. If they would have done the release in June it would have been more acceptable for minor release. This industry is moving quicker and quicker and

Apple needs to LEAD not follow. I want to see at least a no glass back and the antenna issue fixed. I would like to see us get it blown away this fall. It would be a perfect compliment to iOS 5 and iCloud.

Apple needs to show that Steve's still got it! There is a lot of concern about his departure and the future leadership of the company. I'd like to see nothing more than the critics shut up!

siii
Hopefully this rumour/mock-up will be true then... I will be pissed at a same screen size and case as a 15 month upgrade to the iPhone 4...

http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/22/iphone-5-design/

Each to their own I guess! Just bring on August/September It's new phone time! :)

TheUndertow
IMO it makes sense to get away from the iPhone 4 design for a few reasons.

AntennaGate was a "black eye" on the design.

Verizon / ATT build differences are holding back Verizon updates (what I don't like about Android).

Samsung has cloned the design making it less unique.

Curved glass machines cost a lot and need to be used :apple:

chrmjenkins
Jun 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
I hope they stick with a simply incremental numbering scheme. That way everyone will stop confusing the iphone version for the network technology it contains.

I don't really care about the form factor though, I'm just interested in it getting the A5 and maybe a slightly larger screen (a nicer camera won't hurt). Next year should be big with LTE and I think we can seriously start discussing OLED/AMOLED at that point.

Another interesting point is if it retains the radio used in the verizon iphone 4, will they all have a SIM slot and greater carrier mobility? It's important to note that that chipset even supports T-Mobile 3G, though the radio firmware likely doesn't.

juicedropsdeuce

For some reason MR has been using really old pics of Steve in random articles. Wonder what the agenda is... :rolleyes:

viewfly
Everyone I know prefers the iPhone 4 square design over the 3G, S. Feels better and sits on a table better.

I bet the case/accessory mgfr's will love a newly designed iPhone case! Not me...too much invested already in cases.

Now if Apple made a phone that didn't require one to buy a case ( for antenna issue or just to make it less slippery or damaged) that would be a coup!

Love Apple products, but every back plastic case gets scratched up or is just too slippery in the hand to hold.

Please keep the current iPhone 4 design...as Apple says...'it just works' for me...

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Also, history is clearly not repeating itself in this case. If it were, we'd already have the "4S" (which, by the way, is a ridiculous name for a phone and doesn't fit the nomenclature at all)

You mean the unusual, September release, right?

iScott428
Jun 21, 2011, 10:48 AM
Please Zeus let this be TRUE!!! I want a metal backing, and regardless of what it looks like I will be getting it; because my 3Gs is just not cutting it any longer!!!

juicedropsdeuce

History? That happened in 1 out of 4 versions. Do the math. :rolleyes:

HitchHykr
QFT. Those of us who will be upgrading hope it will be something better than what those of us who will not be upgrading already have, while those of us who will not be upgrading hope what they already have is nearly indistinguishable from what they'll not be upgrading to.

I agree with what I think you said. :)

TheUndertow
I hope they stick with a simply incremental numbering scheme. That way everyone will stop confusing the iphone version for the network technology it contains.

I don't really care about the form factor though, I'm just interested in it getting the A5 and maybe a slightly larger screen (a nicer camera won't hurt). Next year should be big with LTE and I think we can seriously start discussing OLED/AMOLED at that point.

I think they need a case redesign for that very reason...next year they can toss in LTE as the incremental upgrade while still performing this year, without it.

smiddlehurst
As always I'd suggest taking ANY rumour of Apple hardware with a large grain of salt but let me just throw something out here. Would it not make a huge amount of sense for Apple to add inductive charging in the next iPhone / iPod Touch design? iOS 5 has cut the cable as far as data is concerned but you still need to plug in for power. If they can somehow introduce it without bumping the production costs too far it'd be a very nice bullet point for them.

Which sorta leads on to the redesign question. While it may be possible to build inductive charging into the iPhone 4's glass case surely a metal back would be an easier solution? Just a thought and total speculation of course but still, would make some sort of sense...

RawBert
Jun 21, 2011, 10:49 AM
Totally Rad!

browneb
Jun 21, 2011, 10:49 AM
I currently own an ATT 3GS, and can upgrade 6/30. When should I upgrade? Do I get the iPhone 4 now or wait until whenever the iPhone 5 comes out (who knows how long that will be?)? I know the 4 will be cheaper, and is it really worth waiting for the 5? I'm really torn! :confused:

paradox00
Jun 21, 2011, 10:51 AM

Original iPhone (new design)
iPhone 3G (new case design, internals largely the same with the exception of 3G)
iPhone 3GS (old case design, upgraded internals)
iPhone 4 (new case design, new internals)

Really? If history is any indicator? People are way too caught up on the 3GS, both on the 'S' name and the 'pattern' it supposedly creates. It takes more than a single data point to create a pattern.

The iPhone 4 is also set to become the longest running iPhone without a successor, and it's had two additional 'launches' since its initial one (Verizon and white), which has never happened with an iPhone model before. I don't think history is any indicator at all.

cvaldes
Jun 21, 2011, 10:53 AM
Unconvincing.

The R&D investment on a new iPhone design is substantial; Steve claimed it took a team eighteen months to design the iPhone 4.

From an ROI standpoint, it would make far more sense for Apple to keep the same basic design and make incremental improvements to the internals (CPU, GPU, storage, camera, and networking).

One would expect to see a new design in 2012's handset, not this year's.

Note that Apple has a history of retaining basic designs for a couple of iterations before moving to a new platform. The most notable exception is the iPod mini/nano product line.

azentropy
Jun 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
History? That happened in 1 out of 4 versions. Do the math. :rolleyes:

1 out of 4? Try 1 out of 2.

iPhone -> iPhone 3G (yes so no "S")
iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3Gs

Even if you are trying to count that they didn't go from the iPhone 3Gs to the 3gss (which is silly), that would be 1 out of 3.

iPhone 4 -> hasn't happened yet.

wordoflife
That's cool. I guess holding out on my 3GS was a good idea.

mtcowdog
I want to see 2 iphones:

4S with beefed up specs and world phone (GSM + CDMA)
5 with new design, including larger screen, NFC, and LTE.

Why not dream big?

jhwalker
Short of having a roll-up screen (i.e., the Chapstick form-factor), how "radical" can it be? It's a box with a screen! All phones look exactly the same to me - either an iPad Touch lookalike or a Star Trek communicator lookalike.

mikejd1
Jun 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
no way they release this in Aug without iOS 5, with iOS 5 being Fall, which is Sept 23rd

NoNothing
I can only hope they really go all in - the Nexus 4G rumors are pretty insane on the spec list, too bad the software sucks.

Holding a tablet to your head to talk?

TheUndertow
I currently own an ATT 3GS, and can upgrade 6/30. When should I upgrade? Do I get the iPhone 4 now or wait until whenever the iPhone 5 comes out (who knows how long that will be?)? I know the 4 will be cheaper, and is it really worth waiting for the 5? I'm really torn! :confused:

Much like "only you can prevent a forest fire", only you can answer this.

I guess regardless, if you don't HAVE to upgrade on 6/30 (ie...broken phone), it wouldn't hurt to wait.

Do you want "latest/greatest"? If yes, get the 5 at that point.

Do you want the "best value/deal"? If yes, the iPhone 4 should naturally be less expensive after the successor comes out.

Geckotek
Jun 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
I like how theres been a universal assumption and agreement that the next phone will be 'identical' physically, and in other ways just a slight bump to the iPhone 4, based on... absolutely nothing.

It's not based on "absolutely nothing". Even the article states that it's based on an iPhone 4S that was released to certain partners for testing.

Although I was under the impression several months back that the new iPhone was going to be a major redesign based on another users posting here. However, over time I became convinced that was that poster saw was the iPhone 5 and that we might see a 4S in the meantime.

Now I'm wondering if the 4S given to the partners really only a test unit that consists of certain chips from the iPhone 5 placed in an iPhone 4 chassis.

Anything is possible and I'm not betting the farm either way. I won't be the guy that says "there will never be a Verizon iPhone". :p

paradox00
Jun 21, 2011, 10:57 AM

Umm... wait? Especially since you already have an iPhone.

You're in a thread that says the new one might come by the end of August. you're going to have the phone for two years, you might as well get the best one you can. The A5 chip alone is worth it.

The iPhone 5 will be the same price as the iPhone 4 is now, and the 4, if they choose to continue selling it, will become cheaper then. Even if you decide to get an iPhone 4, it would be best to wait for the iPhone 5 announcement.

Mr. Gates
Jun 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
As long as the screen is bigger I'm stoked

daneoni
Please Apple, don't gimp on the screen like you did with the iPod Touch. 4.0" IPS Retina. No TN crap.

wordoflife
I've had unused upgrades on my account for two years ..... lol. Still have them.
Just wait for the new one unless your phone is dying or breaking :)

Madhawk
Meh...:cool:

toddybody
Jun 21, 2011, 10:59 AM
Radical? I've always wanted a right triangle shaped phone.

Zunjine
Jun 21, 2011, 11:00 AM
I don't get people saying the iPhone 4 is a poor design. It's beautiful. I'm happy to say it's one of if not the very finest piece of consumer electronics design I've ever had the pleasure to own. It's a year old now and still I find it stunningly well designed - the clean edges, the solid feel, nothing at all plastic or cheap about it. Great design is always pleasurable to use and this is a piece of great design.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 11:00 AM

1/ I think you ought to kick Ive out, and show him how it's done ;)
2/ There is no such thing as "iPhone 3"

gramirez2012
Jun 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
Thank god my iPhone 3G contract is up in July. Bring it on!

Seanozz
Jun 21, 2011, 11:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

When the 4 came out it seemed uncomfortable to me at 1st. Now that I have one I would not want to go back to the 3GS. I don't use cases and the 4 is easier to grip and because of this I've never accidentally dropped it.

Everytime I've upgraded apple has let me. Not sure if they bent rules or what but it never cost Any extra. Does anyone know the time stretch of past phones and when they allowed upgrades!?

lsvtecjohn3
iOS 5 coming out in the fall. iPhone 5 coming out in August... That's the summer

Geckotek
As an owner of a 3GS who will have resisted upgrading to the iPhone 4 for 2 and a quarter years, I will be pissed if they don't throw in some new hardware.

A5, bigger screen, credit card scanner, more onboard storage, and something more ergonomically friendly than the 4 and I'd be happy.

Gonna use that credit card scanner to start your own food truck? :p

Could well be coming in August. iOS 5 release date just says "coming Fall" which could mean August and I can see them releasing the new software and hardware at the same time to keep things nice and tidy. Whatever month the iPhone is released in, I think the software and the iPods are going to be released at the exact same event.

How do you figure? August is summer.

Edit: @#$)(*& lsvtecjohn3 beat me to it. :confused:

maclaptop
Jun 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
I don't understand the obsession with Apples naming conventions. Of far greater importance is the question of whether or not Jobs allowed his new antenna engineers to do their job without saddling them with design limitations.

Despite the widespread venom spewing by the fanboys towards anyone mentioning this topic, they continue to profess that Apples perfect and therefore there was no problem. Yet those in the real world know differently. They are also aware of the immense power of Apples denial.

Finally, I'd truly be happy to watch Apple introduce the incredibly great phone they're capable of creating.

That said I'm afraid they've let their current success go to their head, skewing their ability to remain grounded in reality. In a state like that, especially with Jobs at the helm, guessing the likely successor to the Antennagate Special is a real crap shoot.

jclardy
Jun 21, 2011, 11:06 AM
Please Apple, don't gimp on the screen like you did with the iPod Touch. 4.0" IPS Retina. No TN crap.

I doubt they will lower the screen quality. The iPod Touch just has a crappier screen because it is a cheaper product ($229 vs $649 unsubsidized).

I kind of hope they go back to a curved back. Somewhat like the current iPod Touch, but with brushed aluminum. That way it can still sit flat on a table when you put it down. Of course aluminium isn't good for passing wireless signals, so it probably won't happen.

colmaclean
Jun 21, 2011, 11:06 AM
Can they still call the display Retina if it has a bigger screen and the same resolution? :p

ivladster
Jun 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
well there is much more competition now from Android market share so maybe Apple is done with keeping same design for two phones like with 3G and 3GS. I think iPhone 5 sounds good so is iPhone 4G which sounds better since it's "all about 4G" now.

rockametrics
Jun 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
Needs to be different!! Too many new competitor phones out there since last June for just a minor update. If they would have done the release in June it would have been more acceptable for minor release. This industry is moving quicker and quicker and

Apple needs to LEAD not follow. I want to see at least a no glass back and the antenna issue fixed. I would like to see us get it blown away this fall. It would be a perfect compliment to iOS 5 and iCloud.

Apple needs to show that Steve's still got it! There is a lot of concern about his departure and the future leadership of the company. I'd like to see nothing more than the critics shut up!

Right on the $$$
They need to wow everyone. History not dictating the future is the way to go! Everyone expects a 4S type phone. Prove you're the best!

d0minick
Jun 21, 2011, 11:08 AM
apparently this is the source. i-talk-iphone (http://italkiphone.com/2011/06/breaking-iphone-news-iphone-5-to-be-released-in-september-significantly-upgraded/)

840quadra
Jun 21, 2011, 11:08 AM

I totally agree! Even though I have an iPhone 4, I planned on buying an iPod Touch to use around work, had it used the same screen. When I went in to buy one, I found the screen to be a disappointment and simply walked away.

Call me petty, but I felt that I would look at that iPod Touch, and be disappointed daily, considering I use my i-Devices for watching video podcasts at work.

paradox00
Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
I don't understand the obsession with Apples naming conventions. Of far greater importance is the question of whether or not Jobs allowed his new antenna engineers to do their job without saddling them with design limitations.

Despite the widespread venom spewing by the fanboys towards anyone mentioning this topic, they continue to profess that Apples perfect and therefore there was no problem. Yet those in the real world know differently. They are also aware of the immense power of Apples denial.

Finally, I'd truly be happy to watch Apple introduce the incredibly great phone they're capable of creating.

That said I'm afraid they've let their current success go to their head, skewing their ability to remain grounded in reality. In a state like that, especially with Jobs at the helm, guessing the likely successor to the Antennagate Special is a real crap shoot.

That the iPhone 4 drops calls in places that the 3GS doesn't even have a signal?

xnu
Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
Based on percentage of market share and competition, I would expect a iPhone 4S with your normal spec/feature bump and the new phone to be a smaller screen more mass marketable phone. This combined with a 7" iPad(probably iPod Touch)/reader in September fills out the team to compete with Android for the Holidays.

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 11:12 AM
Which sorta leads on to the redesign question. While it may be possible to build inductive charging into the iPhone 4's glass case surely a metal back would be an easier solution? Just a thought and total speculation of course but still, would make some sort of sense...

I believe magnetic permeability(?) is not directly related to electrical conductivity...? Someone with a stronger bg on electromagnetism, please enlighten us!

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 21, 2011, 11:12 AM
For some reason MR has been using really old pics of Steve in random articles. Wonder what the agenda is... :rolleyes:

Good call. I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

glossywhite
Jun 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wow, this sure is yawn-inducing.

The difference between Apple and us, is that Apple know what is coming, and we do not. You don't know you want or need something, until it is presented to you, so you cannot possibly "predict" what is coming next, based on the evidently unintuitive and extremely primitive thought patterns demonstrated by many @ MR forums.

Stop trying to guess what is coming - you may guess the odd feature, but in all reality, Apple are famous for being masters of disguise, right up until the last nanosecond... but letting you think you have worked it out! ;)

Quit the repetitive and recycled guesses, you won't do it, and even if you did, Apple will trump you in myriad aspects, on release day, and then hand you a giant cloth, with which to wipe the proverbial egg from your faces.

Just like washer women, gossiping over the garden fence about facts that they heard third-hand, the time for looking foolish is simply creeping slowly closer and closer.

corrado7
Jun 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
Unconvincing.

The R&D investment on a new iPhone design is substantial; Steve claimed it took a team eighteen months to design the iPhone 4.

From an ROI standpoint, it would make far more sense for Apple to keep the same basic design and make incremental improvements to the internals (CPU, GPU, storage, camera, and networking).

One would expect to see a new design in 2012's handset, not this year's.

Note that Apple has a history of retaining basic designs for a couple of iterations before moving to a new platform. The most notable exception is the iPod mini/nano product line.

I didnt know you are apple's new cfo to have inside info on roi...

boss.king
Jun 21, 2011, 11:15 AM
Can they still call the display Retina if it has a bigger screen and the same resolution? :p

Yup, since "retina display" doesn't have any actual defining specs.

ChrisTX
I haven't read through all of the comments here, but it's obvious that Apple has had some iPhone 4[S]'s manufactured here for developers, and so forth to test there apps on. That way they don't have to worry about anything being leaked, because it simply looks like the iPhone 4. This method allows developers apps to be tested in the wild and at their own discretion, and no risk of any confidential new iPhone to be leaked. No all that hard to figure out.

AppleScruff1
Maybe it will have a slide out keyboard.

Plutonius
Jun 21, 2011, 11:16 AM
Misinformation originating at Apple so they can track leaks.

Clown Boy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everyone agreed that the last iPhone was a disaster, things can only get better.

colmaclean
If it was radically different, wouldn't case designs already be leaked by now?

I seem to remember a mock-up of the iPad 2 was doing the rounds over 2 months before launch.

Takeo
Jun 21, 2011, 11:17 AM

I guess... but you could say that about other common objects as well... how radical can a car design be? It's just a box on 4 wheels with an engine, steering wheel and brakes.

ghostface147
Jun 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
I still am going to skip this version and wait for the LTE model, which I assume will be in mid to late 2012.

boss.king
Jun 21, 2011, 11:18 AM

I seem to remember a mock-up of the iPad 2 was doing the rounds a good 4 months before launch.

Didn't people go to jail for that though?

cvaldes
Jun 21, 2011, 11:18 AM
I don't understand the obsession with Apples naming conventions.
Some people simply don't want to focus on the important discussions or perhaps are unable to offer insightful commentary on such matters.

You're right, whatever Apple calls the next-generation handset is largely unimportant, even less so now that the public is largely educated about the benefits of cellular data.

That said, I think it will be called iPhone 5, to match its software, iOS 5. The current handset and operating system are aligned similarly in their marketing materials (www.apple.com/iphone). Assuming that Apple continues an annual release of both hardware and software, it would make the most sense for them to continue this trend.

It's simple, and we know what Steve's tendencies are.

JNGold
Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 AM

Well, yes and no. The main "spec" is (according to Apple):

"The screen is marketed by Apple as the "Retina Display", based on the assertion that a display of approximately 300 ppi at a distance of 12 inches (305 mm) from one's eye is the maximum amount of detail that the human retina can perceive.[36] With the iPhone expected to be used at a distance of about 12 inches from the eyes, a higher resolution would allegedly have no effect on the image's apparent quality as the maximum potential of the human eye has already been met."

cvaldes
Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
I didnt know you are apple's new cfo to have inside info on roi...
No, I'm not the CFO, but as an AAPL shareholder, I do read their SEC filings. We can see how much they are spending on R&D.

While there's no breakdown by product line, it is logical to assume that much of those expenses are going into their cash cow, the iPhone.

Geckotek
Jun 21, 2011, 11:20 AM

I seem to remember a mock-up of the iPad 2 was doing the rounds over 2 months before launch.

Yes, and the people that leaked it are in jail. Doubt we'll see a leak very early if at all this time.

GQB

Same as always. Check your mobile account on AT&T to see when you're eligible for a subsidized upgrade.

NinjaHERO
With all the extra time between updates, one would hope they change a bunch of stuff....for the better. But until we actually see a phone from Apple, who knows.

I'm still one of those few people holding out hope that the screen gets bigger. I know, I'm crazy. ;)

840quadra
Jun 21, 2011, 11:21 AM

Well yes and no...

They mention pixels that are 78 micrometers wide, and 326 pixels per inch on both the iPod Touch, and iPhone 4. The iPhone features IPS, and the iPod mentions nothing, but is speculated to be a lower end TN panel due to viewing angles among other things.

Thanks to the Retina display, everything you see and do on iPhone 4 looks amazing. That’s because the Retina display’s pixel density is so high, your eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels. Which means Text in books, web pages, and email is crisp at any size. Images in games, movies, and photos pop off the screen. And everything is sharper.

By developing pixels a mere 78 micrometers wide, Apple engineers were able to pack four times the number of pixels into the same 3.5-inch (diagonal) screen found on earlier iPhone models. The resulting pixel density of iPhone 4 — 326 pixels per inch — makes text and graphics look smooth and continuous at any size.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/retina-display.html

rotax
Jun 21, 2011, 11:21 AM
What makes me think this is real is the Samsung patent lawsuit. It shows that Apple feels a competitor is too close to its design. Apple will want to differentiate themselves, and it shows they are pragmatic about the outcome of the patent lawsuit. They may get some monetary reward, but its not likely they will stop Samsung from selling their products. So, Apple will not sit still, they will move to stay a forerunner in the market space. Samsung, I think will be getting Apple's cold shoulder on parts.

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 11:22 AM
I haven't read through all of the comments here, but it's obvious that Apple has had some iPhone 4[S]'s manufactured here for developers, and so forth to test there apps on. That way they don't have to worry about anything being leaked, because it simply looks like the iPhone 4. This method allows developers apps to be tested in the wild and at their own discretion, and no risk of any confidential new iPhone to be leaked. No all that hard to figure out.

...until someone (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20002987-501465.html) drinks too many a beer.

GQB
Jun 21, 2011, 11:24 AM
I still am going to skip this version and wait for the LTE model, which I assume will be in mid to late 2012.

LTE is 'latest/greatest' fodder for the addicts.
I'll consider LTE when its available in more than a handful of places.
In addition, I find 3G perfectly acceptable for the uses I put it to.
But that's obviously just me.

ranReloaded
Jun 21, 2011, 11:24 AM
Well, yes and no. The main "spec" is (according to Apple):

"The screen is marketed by Apple as the "Retina Display", based on the assertion that a display of approximately 300 ppi at a distance of 12 inches (305 mm) from one's eye is the maximum amount of detail that the human retina can perceive.[36] With the iPhone expected to be used at a distance of about 12 inches from the eyes, a higher resolution would allegedly have no effect on the image's apparent quality as the maximum potential of the human eye has already been met."

Somebody do the math: What's the biggest inch size that stays above 300dpi at 640x960?

Geckotek
Jun 21, 2011, 11:26 AM

It's currently available all over my hometown so I'm chomping at the bit for it. But I don't expect it in the iPhone this time. :(

fahadqureshi
Jun 21, 2011, 11:29 AM

it would be a shame if apple failed to utilize the obvious iphone 4G name. The next iphone should have 4G capability otherwise it will be somewhat outdated upon release since just about all other smartphones are beginning to introude their 4G handsets.

cvaldes
Jun 21, 2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah, LTE is poorly deployed in most parts of the world, maybe next year there will be more coverage.

It would make more sense putting HSPA+ in the next-generation iPhone. HSPA+ is widely deployed across the globe, and some of the third-generation networks have a theoretical maximum speed of 84Mbps, faster than current LTE networks anyhow.

Ugg
Jun 21, 2011, 11:31 AM

That was my thought, especially after seeing photos of the N9.

millertime021
Jun 21, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hell yeah!

This would be awesome!

I wouldn't mind if it looked like the iPhone 4, but a new design would be even better!

-aggie-
Jun 21, 2011, 11:33 AM
An actual rumor, and not a rumor of a rumor. :)

I guess the rumor of a rumor was right.

utfcmac
Jun 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
dont think so...

Sonny1
Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
One-hand action?
:confused:

ljocampo
Jun 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Agreed.
With the Feb addition of the VZW iPhone 4 and the white iPhone 4 having "just" been made available, I would find it very surprising if Apple rolls out a completely new hardware design come late summer/fall. I've seen crazier, but it just doesn't feel right...

I wonder if VZW knew it would coming out in early/late August and announced the scraping of unlimited data plans for ridiculous tiered pricing in July!!!

boss.king
Jun 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
Somebody do the math: What's the biggest inch size that stays above 300dpi at 640x960?

At 3.8" it's 303.63 PPI.
At 3.9" it's 295.84 PPI.
At 4.0" it's 288.44 PPI.
At 4.3" it's 268.32 PPI.
PPI calculator: http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

The thing is, if the screen was larger, it would be held further from the face, and so the pixel density would not need to be as great. That said, it's hard to know which way Apple will go with this.

BruiserB
Jun 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
Someone's probably already said it by now...just read the first couple pages of comments.... Mini-Magnetic SmartCovers? :-)

SiPat
Jun 21, 2011, 11:49 AM
Apple has two marketing divisions, the 2nd one is called Dept for Misdirection, and it does an absolutely brilliant job at getting people to guess what's coming next.

icstars989
Jun 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
There doesn't seem to be anything behind this "rumor" other than hope + speculation, but it's a hope I have too.

iPhone 4 is a clunky step backward for Ive, & its aesthetic doesn't fit the rest of the line whatsoever. Add to that the antenna issues, twice as much breakable glass, gangly buttons and portholes everywhere.... can't wait to see what's next.

Are you kidding me? Look at the macbooks, the imacs they all share similarities with the iP4 design.

Saying its a clunky step backward is a matter of opinion, but saying it doesn't fit in is just shortsighted.

Nebulance
Jun 21, 2011, 11:51 AM
My uncle's dog's cousin's best friend's owner who cleans toilets next to an apple store said all new iPhones will be free...:rolleyes:

now this I trust! ;)

Friscohoya
Jun 21, 2011, 11:52 AM

Next phone will be sunglasses with an earpiece. It will actually project the screen out 3-4' in fron to f your face and you will be able to interact with it by touching the virtual images. Glasses will also serve as augmented really specs.

Hello. Again.

kps
It's going to have spikes, to stop you holding it wrong.

rotax
What about a thunderbold interface?

Reach9
Jun 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original iPhone (new design)
iPhone 3G (new case design, internals largely the same with the exception of 3G)
iPhone 3GS (old case design, upgraded internals)
iPhone 4 (new case design, new internals)

Really? If history is any indicator? People are way too caught up on the 3GS, both on the 'S' name and the 'pattern' it supposedly creates. It takes more than a single data point to create a pattern.

The iPhone 4 is also set to become the longest running iPhone without a successor, and it's had two additional 'launches' since its initial one (Verizon and white), which has never happened with an iPhone model before. I don't think history is any indicator at all.

Completely agree.
A lot of people throw away the 'odd' number upgrades by saying it's an "S", just because of one instance.
Clearly Apple has been working on the iPhone 5 for a long time, and the extra time they took convinces me that the next model will be amazing.
It's hilarious to see people thinking that the "4S" model that the devs have, will be the iPhone 5. LOL give me a break. Since when has Apple been so open with their devices?
BGR has a good rapport when it comes to iPhone leaks, so i'm believing them when it comes to a new radical design. But August? Hmm, i'm not quite sure about that.

Regardless, i know lots of iPhone 4 owners who are undermining the next iPhone, so that they feel better that they still have good technology. Honestly, i feel bad for anyone who went to pick up an iPhone 4 in the recent months.
I absolutely can't wait for the iPhone 5, my 3G is on it's last leg.

vartanarsen
Jun 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
In either case I don't have a smartphone and at the rate the pricing plans are going in the US, I don't see myself having one anytime in the foreseeable future. The iPod Touch is nice however.

Just put the Straight Talk sim card into iPhone 4. Unlimited Data/Talk/Text for $45 a month using AT&T towers.

acslater017

That must be from 2007, when he was in better health :(

Core5i
All those rumors ... I won't believe anything until the new iPhone (http://www.ihelplounge.com/ihelplounge/2011/06/iphone-5-featuring-ios-5-will-be-presented-on-september-7.html) is actually presented.

Ijustfarted
I hope it really is a radical new design. IMO every iphone so far including the iphone 4 has been ugly as hell. IMO of course

in b4 people attack me for having an opinion!

boss.king
Jun 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
Completely agree.
A lot of people throw away the 'odd' number upgrades by saying it's an "S", just because of one instance.
Clearly Apple has been working on the iPhone 5 for a long time, and the extra time they took convinces me that the next model will be amazing.
It's hilarious to see people thinking that the "4S" model that the devs have, will be the iPhone 5. LOL give me a break. Since when has Apple been so open with their devices?
BGR has a good rapport when it comes to iPhone leaks, so i'm believing them when it comes to a new radical design. But August? Hmm, i'm not quite sure about that.

Regardless, i know lots of iPhone 4 owners who are undermining the next iPhone, so that they feel better that they still have good technology. Honestly, i feel bad for anyone who went to pick up an iPhone 4 in the recent months.
I absolutely can't wait for the iPhone 5, my 3G is on it's last leg.

The August part has me thinking they could announce it in late August and have it in stores early September, but more likely it will just be a September release. Really hoping this rumour is true...

acslater017

You're Kevin Rose, aren't you? :)

acslater017
Misinformation originating at Apple so they can track leaks.

Seems unlikely that they would leak information about a radical re-design and disappoint with a modest upgrade. Usually they play down expectations in order to wow.

SandynJosh
Jun 21, 2011, 12:00 PM

I'm betting it will happen. Samsung, is also looking at curved glass, so you know they got the idea somewhere.

bbeagle
Jun 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
Could well be coming in August. iOS 5 release date just says "coming Fall" which could mean August

What world do you people live in?

I guess a world where
Spring = March 1 - April 30
Summer = May 1 - July 31
Fall = August 1 - November 31
Winter = December 1 - February 28

Maybe Steve is always referring to Australian seasons? Hasn't Fall 2011 already arrived and gone in Australia?

min_t
Jun 21, 2011, 12:03 PM
Only feature I need on iphone 5 is "unlocked"... even if I have to pay the full price of 600+ dollars. I'm tired of being ATT's slave.

whoami
Jun 21, 2011, 12:04 PM
What about a thunderbold interface?

i sincerely hope you're joking.. :o

korndawg
Question, when the iphone 4 was released, was the retina display a big surprise to everyone? Or was that panel leaked previously and was it expected? I'm hoping for a 4" display on the new Iphone 5, but other than the sweet 720p display thats going into the new Nexus, I haven't heard much on what may go into the new iphone.

ChrisTX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everyone agreed that the last iPhone was a disaster, things can only get better.

Speak for yourself, very satisfied iPhone 4 owner.

Reach9
Jun 21, 2011, 12:06 PM
The August part has me thinking they could announce it in late August and have it in stores early September, but more likely it will just be a September release. Really hoping this rumour is true...

Oh that makes perfect sense, and release it with iOS 5 in September as well? Hmm, that's a possibility.
You and me both.

Tiger8
Jun 21, 2011, 12:10 PM
It is an iPhone Nano! It will be called 'iPhone 4s', where 's' stands for small !

:D

azbigdog
Jun 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
What world do you people live in?

I guess a world where
Spring = March 1 - April 30
Summer = May 1 - July 31
Fall = August 1 - November 31
Winter = December 1 - February 28

Maybe Steve is always referring to Australian seasons? Hasn't Fall 2011 already arrived and gone in Australia?

What about those of us that live in the Arizona desert?? We don't really have seasons :(

ciociosan
Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 PM
I have it on very good authority that the next iPhone will be in the cloud.

maclaptop
Jun 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
It's simple, and we know what Steve's tendencies are.

I agree. The concern looking forward beyond the upcoming model, is what happens when there is No Steve?

The great majority of fanboys quote him as though he's the only one with a brain. They dote on him, they worship him, what will they do without him?

It's the exact same scenario as the Deadheads. Once Gerry Garcia was gone, they persevered for a relatively short time, then disbanded. No Gerry, and no Deadheads...

Apple fanboys are every bit as rabid. As this forum reveals they are filled with rage and anger, as they strike out a the mere suggestion that there could be any worthy competitor to the iPhone.

It just happens to be Android at the moment, but you could fill than name in with anything and they would be just as vindictive, hateful and full of themselves.

It's what Steve does best, enlist a group of people willing to follow him and drink the cool aid.

A guy like that is hardly replaceable.

With his medical condition, it's nearly a true miracle the guy is still alive. Only due to unlimited resources and the ability to vanish into thin air, leaving the board of directors wondering where he's at, is he able to obtain the finest medical attention in the world.

Yet the fact that he did choose to simply vanish, is very telling about his ethics or lack thereof.

Apple seems to have all their eggs in one basket. Oh sure there are many very skilled people within Apples deep infrastructure, but you'll notice that none of them are ever given any real credit.

Other than the odd appearance on the stage when Steve's not up to the rigors of performing his dog and pony show alone, they are all background players.

Obviously only time will tell, but from what I've seen and know thus far, it's going to be a vastly different Apple.

It will run on Autopilot for an undetermined period of time, but once that period passes it's going to be one very interesting show to watch.

jaw04005
Jun 21, 2011, 12:20 PM

That'd be Jonny Ive. I think his job is safe. :rolleyes: The 3G/3GS was nothing but plastic and felt cheap compared to the original iPhone and the current iPhone 4.

ljocampo
Jun 21, 2011, 12:20 PM

I agree... And also they just gave us the volume button on the iP4 brick to operate the camera. So that said, irony says it probably will be new case with slim edges that won't support the iP5s volume buttons for the camera!! :eek:

patch21
Jun 21, 2011, 12:21 PM
I heard (not really) that the new iPhones will have smart covers :D

Roessnakhan
Jun 21, 2011, 12:23 PM
I heard the new iPhones will have smart covers :D

That would be incredibly stupid and would most likely unhinge in your pocket and scratch up the device.

steadysignal
Jun 21, 2011, 12:24 PM

such crap.

$500 for a device that one year later anyone can pick up for $100 new.

Time to play the used market for new toys.

SandynJosh
Jun 21, 2011, 12:25 PM

You can expect that right after the iPhone has a spring-loaded stylus storage slot.

The people responsible for that are eating rats in a Chinese prison mine.

No, I'm not the CFO, but as an AAPL shareholder, I do read their SEC filings. We can see how much they are spending on R&D.
While there's no breakdown by product line, it is logical to assume that much of those expenses are going into their cash cow, the iPhone.

In addition to iPhone profits, the iPhone is Apple's halo product, bringing in new customers for the iPads, Macs, and iTune sales.

What I'm so happy about with Apple's successes is that this time around Apple did their homework so well that production volume and new iPhone development are anticipating demand and customer direction especially well.

There were a lot of ways Apple could have bobbled this but hasn't.

griz
Jun 21, 2011, 12:26 PM
iPhone 5 or Unlimited data? That is the question. If I want Verizon with Unlimited data, it looks like I'll be snatching up an iPhone 4 very soon. Then upgrading to the iPhone 7 in 2013.

gadget123
Jun 21, 2011, 12:27 PM
The radical new case design might just be:

Same size as IPhone 4 but with a metal back and smart cover to protect the screen.

Maybe realise a third colour all silver anyone?

SandynJosh
Jun 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
It is an iPhone Nano! It will be called 'iPhone 4s', where 's' stands for small !

:D

No! No! No! The Nano will be called the "iPhone on a stick." The "S" will stand for "Stick."

ten-oak-druid
Jun 21, 2011, 12:36 PM
Will the new case be something to go on the belt or a lanyard?

scoobydoo99
Jun 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
Larger screen and rounder back anyone :D:D:D

the i4 is hell to hold it for a while.

HUH? do you press your phone up against your head with your palm, fingers outstretched? Because that's the only way you'd feel the back of the iPhone while using it. iPhones are held by their EDGES, that's why the iPhone 4's flat edges make it soooo much easier to hold that the 3G.

kiljoy616
Jun 21, 2011, 12:37 PM
Curved phone not happening, I can't see Apple going in that directions when they took it out of the ipad because it was a pain to set it down.

Apple no curves please we have enough "me too" phones in the market. :mad:

tigres
Jun 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
This just in.
AT&T can't wait for the release, so they can kick all of us unlimited data users to the curb, and force the iP5 to have a max of 2GB of data.

Watch...:p

pmz
Jun 21, 2011, 12:41 PM
Here we go again Macrumors, posting BGR ramblings as if there is a shred of possibility that they're information.

When are you going to stop doing this? Unless you have no concept of history, you must be aware that BGR constantly makes up nonsense related to Apple to drive up ad revenue.

The only times they've ever been accurate is when citing someone else's already-puiblished accurate information....the rest of the time they INTENTIONALLY post FAKE articles to drive up AD REVENUE.

Get this through your damn skull.

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 21, 2011, 12:42 PM
such crap.

$500 for a device that one year later anyone can pick up for $100 new.

Time to play the used market for new toys.

Logic fail.

That would be with a 2 year contract.

Just like the current iPhone 4 is a $600 device but can be had for $300.

pmz
Jun 21, 2011, 12:43 PM
This just in.
AT&T can't wait for the release, so they can kick all of us unlimited data users to the curb, and force the iP5 to have a max of 2GB of data.

Watch...:p

Yep. If this is true it will the first iPhone I don't buy. Every other one I've purchased at launch. If AT&T says no grandfathered unlimited data, then I say NO new iPhone for me. Apple had BETTER be listening.

johndallas999
Jun 21, 2011, 12:45 PM
Does anyone really like that design mockup on BGR with it looking like a door wedge? I think it's horrendous and a step back in design. Hope it's not true!:mad:

pmz
Jun 21, 2011, 12:46 PM
Oh that makes perfect sense, and release it with iOS 5 in September as well? Hmm, that's a possibility.
You and me both.

It's not a possibility, it whats going to happen. Anything else is just BS.

September is the latest for iOS 5 / iPhone 5. Anything later and Apple's stock is going to tank so far it might actually become affordable.

pmz
Jun 21, 2011, 12:47 PM
Does anyone really like that design mockup on BGR with it looking like a door wedge? I think it's horrendous and a step back in design. Hope it's not true!:mad:

Obviously since its an amateur mockup, its not even remotely close to accurate. Nothing to worry about. Apple's actual iPhone 5 will be much nicer.

johndallas999
Jun 21, 2011, 12:48 PM

This sounds like the comments of someone who has a 3GS and isn't eligible to upgrade to the 4 yet. Bet if he had a 4 he would change his mind. I did.

ljocampo
Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 PM

That was before they put the Chinese leakers behind bars! :D

Polymira
Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 PM
Yep. If this is true it will the first iPhone I don't buy. Every other one I've purchased at launch. If AT&T says no grandfathered unlimited data, then I say NO new iPhone for me. Apple had BETTER be listening.

The same goes with me on Verizon. I have an Android phone that's showing it's age ... however I use between 3GB and 6GB per month of data (no tethering). I'm holding of for either the Samsung Galaxy S 2 or the iPhone 5... and Verizon is introducing tier'd data next month... If I'm forced to drop unlimited data when I go to upgrade, I'm walking out and into a Sprint store.

Mattstkc
Jun 21, 2011, 12:56 PM

it'd be cool if this was the "iphone air" or "iphone cloud" which was the $49-100 unit that took full advantage of iCloud with limited (4gig or less) space for apps and everything else streaming.

As an iPad owner, I would really welcome this. Considering I usually stream pandora 5 days a week for at least 2 hours and don't get near my 2gb cap, shouldn't be a problem for me.

Mattstkc
Jun 21, 2011, 12:57 PM

Obviously since its an amateur mockup, its not even remotely close to accurate. Nothing to worry about. Apple's actual iPhone 5 will be much nicer.

Meaning if it does look like that it will be called the iPhone Teardrop design, not the iPhone Door Stop design. :p

LinksAwakener
Jun 21, 2011, 12:59 PM

Just a hair less than 3.85 inches.

number9
Jun 21, 2011, 12:59 PM

I hope to god this was sarcasm.

Jon Ives surely has nothing left in the tank after this stinker. :rolleyes:

ljocampo
Jun 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
What's really going to piss me off is that if I wait for this new iPhone (whatever they call it), that VZW will not let me upgrade unless I give up my unlimited data plan. Because I can keep the unlimited plan now and upgrade to an iPhone4 before July 8th.

Eduardo1971
Jun 21, 2011, 01:03 PM

I agree! That mock-up is awful!

Tiger8
Jun 21, 2011, 01:07 PM
Yet the fact that he did choose to simply vanish, is very telling about his ethics or lack thereof.
Have you had cancer before? Probably not, but this statement actually speaks of your ethics (or lack thereof)

Some people love their work, and have a genuine passion for it. So if Steve wants to remain as Apple CEO, and he is obviously good at what he does, let him be. He is obviously struggling and trying his best to be involved whenever he can, so give him a break

Kwill
Jun 21, 2011, 01:14 PM
New case design for another 3G phone? Fortunately, it will include a faster processor, more RAM, and some new sensors. Here's hoping for 4G.

http://image.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16707.0;attach=4326;image

gkarris
Jun 21, 2011, 01:16 PM

I'm already in line at the Apple Store... :eek:

;)

Moonjumper
Jun 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
If the iPhone 5 was announced at WWDC, I would have expected a simple evolution. I think the delay points to a new design as a spec increase could have been completed long before now.

If they increase the screen size, I guess they would change to the iPad resolution.

wol
Jun 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
4S with beefed up specs and world phone (GSM + CDMA)
5 with new design, including larger screen, NFC, and LTE.

Why not dream big?

Because I'd like to see an iPhone nano... ;)

WestonHarvey1
Jun 21, 2011, 01:40 PM
The next iPhone will exist *entirely* in the cloud. Nothing to carry, nothing to drop and break.

madmaxmedia
Jun 21, 2011, 01:42 PM

This. They've had over a year to rev arguably their most important single product. I love the design of the iPhone 4, but I imagine a new design is coming. The smartphone market is a lot more competitive now than when the 3GS came out.

They can still offer the 4 as the budget product, and what a great budget product it would be!

jonnysods
Jun 21, 2011, 02:13 PM
Just give me something that doesn't drop every second phone call.

apeman88
Jun 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
Slip in the last 3G premium phone and lock everybody in for two years while 4G takes off...

AT&T is borderline fraud in the SF Bay Area and Verizon is CDMA w/ is technically ancient...

If I was a pure bean counter, I would MAKE SURE to release this a month or two before the release of the coming 4G wave to maximize profits and give the customer less...

AmpSkillz
Jun 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
Just a rumor.
Next iPhone will be same as iPhone 4 but with bumper glued on the device. That would be awesome.

LOL, it will be called the 4s and I can hear SJ now "the S is for signal!"

it can be held in any way you want

yorkshire
Jun 21, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hmmm, I remember Jobs saying that the iPhone 4 was in development 18 months before release. That's 6 months before the 3GS was released. It's fair to say that most of Apple's efforts were going into the 4 at that time, rather than the 3GS, which seemed a bit of a stopgap. Must have been a bit of a bummer for Schiller to present the 3GS as the new phone it was when something far better was 6 months into development. It'll be interesting to see what Apple does this time, I just have a feeling it won't be a 4S, or else that'll be Apple getting into an alternate pattern of poor update one year and good update the next. Consumers could catch on, and may only get a new iPhone every 2 years as opposed to every year.

Mitchel
Jun 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
Please Apple please! I so much hope this is true..

winston1236
Jun 21, 2011, 03:16 PM

That's why it was radical to begin with! Remember how all the old phone looked?

LagunaSol
Jun 21, 2011, 03:17 PM
The iPhone 4 is the best looking device on the market and the most beautiful iPhone to date. It has a high grade look and feel that no competitor can touch right now. I hope they leave the case design alone. It's time they follow the Mac Pro model design-wise. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

andrewsd
Jun 21, 2011, 03:25 PM

Yes I totally agree. I do want to have to loose my unlimited data just because a new phone may have "better/future capabilities" ie:LTE! Especially since it is not the widely spread yet and the fact that 3G works just fine for me.

I am sorta in a rock and a hard place as some would say. I usually update mine every two years but now since they have gone away with their "usual" refresh schedule I may be waiting till 2012/2013 to grab a new iPhone. The original plan was to just wait for the june release of the 2012 iPhone <iPhone 5/6 whatever it would have been called> but now I just may early update to the new one because I really don't see them coming out with another iPhone in the summer of 12 if they don't release one until fall of 11!

It's really not that big of a deal to me I am just fine with my iP4 but it does depend on if I get my cracked screen fixed or not. i've had mine since launch day so it's at least more then a year old. I may just hold out until the next- next generation iPhone comes out in 2012.

korndawg
Jun 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
The iPhone 4 is the best looking device on the market and the most beautiful iPhone to date. It has a high grade look and feel that no competitor can touch right now. I hope they leave the case design alone. It's time they follow the Mac Pro model design-wise. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed, however, no matter what they come out with, it'll be the best looking and always have a high grade feel to it. Apple is known for high end finishes that no one can touch.

itechtiger
Jun 21, 2011, 03:39 PM
I hope this is true. If its really just like an iPhone 4S, count me out when it comes to buying it. I love redesigned products. They look awesome :D

umbriell
Jun 21, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'd love to see a curved glass front with a scratch resistant back. 3.7 to 4 inch screen and make it lighter. The i4 is a beast. Other than that, faster internals, more ram, 64 gb version, and I'm pleased as a pickle.

Biolizard
Jun 21, 2011, 03:56 PM
Just give me something that doesn't drop every second phone call.

That's because AT&T can't be arsed to sort their network out. No one I know in Europe experiences this issue; there's no reason to blame the hardware.

jamesryanbell
Jun 21, 2011, 04:06 PM

No way. iPhone 4 is WAY, WAY more substantial feeling AND looking than 3GS. All I saw on 3G/3GS was UGLY PLASTIC. Dead end. Next....

iPhone 4 enters with glass on front/back and looks classy and a cut above everything else.

I would tend to think more would agree with me than you, but it's just a guess. (I say that mainly due to the -21 response)

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
All those rumors ... I won't believe anything until the new iPhone (http://www.ihelplounge.com/ihelplounge/2011/06/iphone-5-featuring-ios-5-will-be-presented-on-september-7.html) is actually presented.
Looks so awesome! Get rid of the chrome and it could look even better! :D

Darwing
Jun 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not happening it will be same form factor with upgraded hardware we all know apple too well..

The down side is they are going to lose a lot of customers to windows 7 and android because of their reluctance to do complete overhauls

Atkins
Jun 21, 2011, 04:23 PM
Funny thing is, the retro-inspired design queues in the iPhone 4 are actually quite popular right now. Take a look at the Micro 4/3 camera market, many home appliances, and even some home entertainment equipment.
Doesn't make it good.

1/ I think you ought to kick Ive out, and show him how it's done ;)
Yes, absolutely. Because Ive is God and nobody else has taste or understands design./s

That'd be Jonny Ive. I think his job is safe. :rolleyes: The 3G/3GS was nothing but plastic and felt cheap compared to the original iPhone and the current iPhone 4.
Same response as above. And you can make the same design with different materials. Imagine that!

This sounds like the comments of someone who has a 3GS and isn't eligible to upgrade to the 4 yet. Bet if he had a 4 he would change his mind. I did.
Of course. He is dumb and jealous, that's the only possible explanation./s

I would tend to think more would agree with me than you, but it's just a guess. (I say that mainly due to the -21 response)
Bravo! This surely makes you right.

The iPhone4 is based on an old design. You make like it or not, that's another question.

Everybody was repeating this for the iPad too, until Sony came with the S1. Apparently, it can be quite different.

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
It's all personal opinion, I love the iPhone 4 design but personally I prefer the SE Xperia Arc's, just seems more stylish to me. As for the feel, I agree, nothing comes close.

Reach9
Jun 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
No way. iPhone 4 is WAY, WAY more substantial feeling AND looking than 3GS. All I saw on 3G/3GS was UGLY PLASTIC. Dead end. Next....

iPhone 4 enters with glass on front/back and looks classy and a cut above everything else.

No it isn't.
When i first held an iPhone 4, i was afraid that i would break it. Like an expensive piece of furniture you buy.
It's not the ideal consumer device design. The iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS had the design perfectly right. The curve back makes holding it feel much better, the iPhone 4 is like a brick.

The iPhone 5 should be a mix of the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3G/S, and hoping for liquid metal design similar looking to the original iPhone. That would be the ideal device.

I.e this is what the iPhone 5 should look like, if it were perfect:

http://technobuffalo.technobuffalo.netdna-cdn.com/files/2011/03/iphone5.jpg

Geckotek
Jun 21, 2011, 04:43 PM
Why do people keep hoping for a metal back when we know it would interfere with reception?

korndawg
Jun 21, 2011, 04:46 PM
Why do people keep hoping for a metal back when we know it would interfere with reception?

Cuz metal backs won't break like the glass did.

dgree03
Jun 21, 2011, 04:46 PM
No it isn't.
When i first held an iPhone 4, i was afraid that i would break it. Like an expensive piece of furniture you buy.
It's not the ideal consumer device design. The iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS had the design perfectly right. The curve back makes holding it feel much better, the iPhone 4 is like a brick.

The iPhone 5 should be a mix of the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3G/S, and hoping for liquid metal design similar looking to the original iPhone. That would be the ideal device.

I.e this is what the iPhone 5 should look like, if it were perfect:

Image (http://technobuffalo.technobuffalo.netdna-cdn.com/files/2011/03/iphone5.jpg)

I am android all the way, but with the recent iOS changes and a design like that!? Sign me up, I will be an iPhone user again.(Double sign me up when LTE one comes)

Prallethrin
Jun 21, 2011, 04:48 PM
Darn at times like this, I wish Apple would be more forthcoming with their release dates. ><

My sister's contact is up for extension in July and she needs are new phone real bad - old one bit the dust after getting soaked in water.

So iPhone 4 or wait?

Nothing wrong with the iPhone 4, just that she will be stuck with it for the next 3 years and it is already a year old - tech moves stupid quick in the mobile phone world.

She can wait ... but until when?
If it's coming out next year - I don't live in the US, so the phone will take about an extra 1-3 months to get to my shores - she will probably lose her mind using the old borrowed Nokia she is stuck with now while waiting.

Skika
Jun 21, 2011, 04:50 PM

Maybe they could go with an iPad 3G solution with a black plastic strip at the top for the antennas.

Geckotek
Jun 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
Cuz metal backs won't break like the glass did.

So let's trade an iPhone that breaks for on (another) that can't make phone calls? That's logical. :rolleyes:

Maybe they could go with an iPad 3G solution with a black plastic strip at the top for the antennas.

I hate that, it ruins the entire aesthetic. I say no metal back at all if you have to compromise like that.

korndawg
Jun 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
So let's trade an iPhone that breaks for on (another) that can't make phone calls? That's logical. :rolleyes:

I hate that, it ruins the entire aesthetic. I say no metal back at all if you have to compromise like that.

Who said they are going to use the same antenna design?

gadget123
Jun 21, 2011, 05:36 PM
All the 4" screen mock ups look awful.

I don't think they will go for a larger screen unless they release a mini iPhone or mini iPad. Both unlikely I think it will keep the same shape.

Is A5, iOS5, NFS technology and 8mp camera, 1080p record LED flash not enough to wow people for another year?

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
I think they'll go with a 3.8" screen, won't make a difference to the ppi (well not to the human eye) so they might as well.

tcphoto
Jun 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
I like the concept image that Reach9 posted. After reading the rumor that Apple has tried to product a MBP with a black metal case and Steve vetoed it, I doubt that the next iPhone will have a black metal case. I would love to see an iPad type case in the next iPhone.

firewater101
Jun 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
Why wouldn't the design change? Why would you want this year's model if it looks exactly like last year's model? This is especially believable given the need to brush off the "antenna-gate" perception of the iPhone4 design, whether you believe that is an issue or not. That being said, I guess I'm not totally sold that it will look different yet, but there is no possible way the next generation is called "4S". That will just not happen.

bushido
Jun 21, 2011, 06:01 PM

i don't really like the feeling of my iPhone 4, it actually hurts my fingers after holding it for a while, its too sharp on the edges just like the mac book pro.

EquilibriumGroup
Jun 21, 2011, 06:09 PM
Or this could be just a stupid "Rumor" (again)...

Whats the bet that it doesn't happen.. and if it does, ill waste my upgrade and whe then iPhone 5 comes out ill have to pay out more to get it, (IF THIS IS A "iPhone 4S*)

BUT i know for certain.. i will be the first person to get it in Leicestershire/England. Have been Since iPhone first came out ;)

runeapple
Jun 21, 2011, 06:24 PM
This better be worth the wait, so much tension here :P

My money is on a floating iPhone so you can't hold it wrong :L

smallnshort247
Jun 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
For once I'm actually thinking a major hardware refresh later this summer might be too soon. I really like the design of the iPhone4, so I really hope they don't change it too much.

ljocampo
Jun 21, 2011, 06:28 PM

Whats the bet that it doesn't happen.. and if it does, ill waste my upgrade and whe then iPhone 5 comes out ill have to pay out more to get it, (IF THIS IS A "iPhone 4S*)

BUT i know for certain.. i will be the first person to get it in Leicestershire/England. Have been Since iPhone first came out ;)

:eek::eek: For certain? Are you the only Apple Fanboi in that town? Is there a Microsoft plant there?? :rolleyes::D

chrmjenkins
Jun 21, 2011, 06:28 PM

An iPhone 4S moniker wouldn't make sense unless the only thing that changed was the SoC (A5 from A4) and maybe the camera. Any kind of external re-design would indicate a completely new revision of the iPhone, and since 4 is an actual version number and not a wireless technology reference (a la the iPhone 3G and 3GS), it wouldn't be consistent naming. If it's a complete redesign, it will have a new name or the naming convention will be completely unintelligible and essentially useless.

mac*jedi*g
Jun 21, 2011, 06:42 PM
I speculate that the "radical design" is....

ONE BIG PIECE OF SMOKED ROUND-EDGED GLASS! :eek::eek::D

<<Sorry, I have no PS to enter a rendering>>:rolleyes:

DanteMann
Jun 21, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'm betting it will happen. Samsung, is also looking at curved glass, so you know they got the idea somewhere.

Ummm, Samsung makes the Nexus S. It has curved glass. Apple is playing catch up with many things, copying curved glass is one of them. ;)

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
Seems pretty much certain that the next iPhone will be release in August/September now! Can't wait! :D

Snookerman
Jun 21, 2011, 07:08 PM

Don't forget us iPhone dreaming, Sony Ericsson owners.

maclaptop
Jun 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
The sooner they get this one out of the way, the sooner #6 appears, perhaps that's the one that will include a proper phone.

cactus33
Jun 21, 2011, 07:26 PM

Oddly enough, I absolutely love the current iPhone 4 design. I think it's sleek, classy and refined. I hope that the next iPhone is a 4", thinner version of the current one. :P

cactus33
Jun 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
i don't really like the feeling of my iPhone 4, it actually hurts my fingers after holding it for a while, its too sharp on the edges just like the mac book pro.

Have you used one extensively? I must say that they feel very comfortable!!:confused:

MartiNZ
Jun 21, 2011, 07:35 PM
Have you used one extensively? I must say that they feel very comfortable!!:confused:

Had a 3G from release day and have had a 4 since release day. Comfortwise there is no comparison: the curviness of the 3G/3GS was just soooo much more comfortable a design. One felt one had a better grip on the thing, there were fewer potentially sharp bits, AND it looked a lot cooler, and didn't drop reception when held in a natural way.

I really hope the 'radical new case' is actually a 'radical return to what we had' or at least similar. Just like iPod nano tall to fat and back to tall (although IMO the fat was the best model ever), by which logic the next nano should be back to tall again reverting from the hideous 6th gen design.

Bring on the negative ratings :D but there is no denying it.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 21, 2011, 07:42 PM

I think they will use a younger looking image of Steve when they replace Franklin on the $100 bill.

asears08
Jun 21, 2011, 07:58 PM
As long as it comes to sprint, I dont care what the updates are.

rever3nce
Jun 21, 2011, 08:21 PM
either way im getting this... i just hope its available it black or white . thats all that matters to me . and ios5 is amazing .. already using it

sk58781111
Jun 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
i had my heart set on getting an lte verizon android in july when my 3gs contract comes up. however, if apple comes up with a striking new design and a 4" screen, i may have to stick with iphone. add to that imessage, icloud, and enhanced find my phone features and the momentum shifts in apple's favor. if only iphone 5 was lte verizon :mad:

onedem
Jun 21, 2011, 08:35 PM
I see Galaxy S III

FX4568
Jun 21, 2011, 09:03 PM
For God's sake, idc if its a redesign or a speed bump. I want something better than a year old phone.

outsidethebox
Jun 21, 2011, 09:29 PM
Looking at it from a business/stockholder perspective, I think Apple must change the design at this point.

I think it's likely that Apple was originally planning to release a '4GS'-esque device during their time in June, but this year because of the HUGE increase in competition, especially from the like of devices like the Galaxy S2, they realized that they wouldn't get away with just a small upgrade anymore.

Apple needs to stay at the top, and so they are probably trying to really make a push to drown out the competition with a newly designed and faster handset this Fall.

As it stands, none of the new devices released this year have been anything close to 3.5" - all have been 4"-4.3" (the latter which I think is a little big though IMHO). Hopefully Apple will start to push their game up and realize this and that they really need to come out with a device that will blow away the competition.

CLWelch
Jun 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
A rumor? On macrumors.com? That's ridiculous.

840quadra
Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
Doesn't make it good.

I can accept that, taste in design is personal.

Regardless, do you have a point to make or are you just going after anyone that likes the current iPhone 4 design?

Pink∆Floyd
Jun 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
"Radical"

That could only mean pure awesomeness!
:apple:

juststranded
Jun 21, 2011, 11:28 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/10dcj05.png

Geckotek
Jun 21, 2011, 11:46 PM
Who said they are going to use the same antenna design?

So if they have a solid metal back...similar to an iPad and they don't use a plastic strip like the iPad....where do you propose the antenna be placed?

Atkins
Jun 22, 2011, 12:19 AM
I can accept that, taste in design is personal.

Regardless, do you have a point to make or are you just going after anyone that likes the current iPhone 4 design?
I thought my point was very clear. The OP stated that the Iphone 4 is a "dead end". What followed were replies by people who, for some reason, understood this as him saying that the design is bad, telling him to basically shut up, because Ive knows better and that he is just jealous and he can't afford a new iPhone. Very lame. I am going after them.
Retro-oriented designs are generally a dead end. And that has nothing to see with whether the design itself is good or bad.

And specifically my answer to you was exactly what I wrote. No more, no less.