PDA

View Full Version : Nikon NX2 not compatible with Lion

Poncho
Jun 21, 2011, 11:45 AM
Searched forums but can't find any mention of this subject but a Nikon spokesman has said "Capture NX2 is NOT compatible with Lion! And there is no update available. A new program could take a long time until the end of this year...." [source: http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=3706]

Any NX2 users have any ideas about how they are going to approach this obstacle?

mackmgg
Jun 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure about NX2, but EOS Utility doesn't work either :( Hopefully it won't take as long as they said to get the apps fixed

Cliff3
Jun 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Nikon has historically been very slow to certify their software with new operating systems. If CNX2 is a critical application for you and it has issues with Lion, then don't upgrade to Lion until Nikon has remedied any problems with their software.

FWIW, I had to hold off on upgrading to Leopard due to problems it had with Lightroom. Adobe and Apple eventually fixed their respective defects, but in the meantime I needed Lightroom more than I did the OS upgrade. You do what you must...

Poncho
Jun 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
I think I'm going to set up an external hard drive with a stripped-down snow leopard os on it plus NX and boot from that just to do my images. Capture NX gives me the best results from RAW (after lots of comparisons with other packages).

compuwar
Jun 21, 2011, 08:50 PM
With the right amount of sharpening, RPP produces better results for me than NX, I've given up on NX.

Paul

sim667
Jun 23, 2011, 09:50 AM
Im glad I saw this, I do have nikon NX, but dont use it, i use aperture instead.

What about camera control pro? Does anyone know about that?

Waybo
Jun 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
With the right amount of sharpening, RPP produces better results for me than NX, I've given up on NX.

Paul

Paul,
What is RPP?
Thanks.

~Waybo

cleanup
Jun 23, 2011, 11:12 AM
Paul,
What is RPP?
Thanks.

~Waybo

http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html

compuwar
Jun 24, 2011, 08:24 AM
Paul,
What is RPP?
Thanks.

~Waybo

The best $20 I've ever spent! :D

Read the help file before you mess around, the free version is great, but donate the $20 and get the K64 film curve- that's digital crack.

Paul

Waybo
Jun 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks, compuwar and cleanup!

Vudoo
Jul 1, 2011, 11:02 PM
I remember that NX2 wasn't compatible with Snow Leopard if you did a fresh install, but if you upgraded from Leopard it would work. This may be the same situation for Lion.

In either case, I'm holding off on Lion until someone proves it one way or another.

Vel
Jul 3, 2011, 09:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/os-x-lion-allows-running-multiple-copies-on-the-same-machine-virtualization/

After reading this post my understanding is you would also be able to run snow leopard as a virtual machine until NX2 was updated. I'm not sure what performance would be like, but I guess there wouldn't be much harm in giving it ago,

Vel

Vudoo
Jul 3, 2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/os-x-lion-allows-running-multiple-copies-on-the-same-machine-virtualization/

After reading this post my understanding is you would also be able to run snow leopard as a virtual machine until NX2 was updated. I'm not sure what performance would be like, but I guess there wouldn't be much harm in giving it ago,

Vel

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be editing hundreds of RAW photos in a virtual machine. I would rather bootcamp Windows 7 to get the full usage of the resources.

Kebabselector
Jul 3, 2011, 05:30 PM
EOS Utility doesn't work either

oh noes!, must check LightRoom to see if that's broken

/edit Just checked, Eos Utility looks to be o.k. It installed and imported from the camera. Lightroom 3 starts up and appears to all o.k. at the moment.

MACza
Jul 4, 2011, 04:53 AM
Ouch - this is NOT good news! :mad:

Come on Nikon - make a plan!

Vudoo
Jul 4, 2011, 09:17 AM
Ouch - this is NOT good news! :mad:

Come on Nikon - make a plan!

Nikon isn't necessarily quick about these things. Look how long it took them to provide a fully compatible version for Snow Leopard.

pdxflint
Jul 4, 2011, 02:21 PM
If things are going good for you right now, what's the hurry to switch to Lion? Probably better to wait until the first update anyway, typical of most major software upgrades. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 and am only planning to upgrade to Snow Leopard next week, just to get access to the Mac App Store, but I'm in no hurry to jump to Lion until I see how much stuff it breaks that I use. It will get better down the line, I'm sure.

compuwar
Jul 5, 2011, 08:39 PM

Vel

No, that says you can run Lion as a VM, you'd still have to have the server version of SL to virtualize it.

Paul