Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Firefox 4 users: Go to Firefox -> About Firefox to initiate the update process.
Firefox 3.6 and earlier users: You'll need to initiate the update manually, or by going here and downloading the update that way: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:
  • Added support for CSS animations
  • The Do-Not-Track header preference has been moved to increase discoverability
  • Tuned HTTP idle connection logic for increased performance
  • Improved canvas, JavaScript, memory, and networking performance
  • Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas
  • Improved spell checking for some locales
  • Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users
  • WebGL content can no longer load cross-domain textures
  • Background tabs have setTimeout and setInterval clamped to 1000ms to improve performance
  • Fixed several stability issues
  • Fixed several security issues

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I notice that after a while FireFox becomes sluggish. But I do like the Do-Not-Track option. Does Safari have that option?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Not upgrading

I am probably not going to upgrade to the new Firefox. I tried version 4 but didn't like the way it worked. While I have loved Firefox for years, their new design leaves me cold. It's so different from the previous version that it slows me down. And my add-ons are not compatible with the new versions. I just went back to 3.6.12. I think I may be ready to try Safari again.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Mozilla Releases Firefox 5

ffinstall.png

Mozilla today released Firefox 5, the latest version of the world's second most popular web-browser.

Mozilla has transitioned to a rapid release cycle for Firefox, offering more full-featured releases more quickly than previously. Firefox 4 was released just this past March.

The company claims 1,000 improvements and enhancements are present in this version of Firefox, including support for "more modern Web technologies that make it easier for developers to build amazing Firefox Add-ons, Web applications and websites." See full release notes for more information.

Download it here.

Note: Firefox 5 is Intel-only. There is no PPC version available.

Article Link: Mozilla Releases Firefox 5

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Firefox freezes and hangs like mad for me (and I know others who say the same). I don't know what the problem is, but there is one and they don't seem to have found a fix.

(And yeah, I've tried completely wiping it from my Mac to reinstall and a number of other things)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Firefox freezes and hangs like mad for me (and I know others who say the same). I don't know what the problem is, but there is one and they don't seem to have found a fix.

(And yeah, I've tried completely wiping it from my Mac to reinstall and a number of other things)

Yea, it had caused my system to beachball all the time and make my machine very unresponsive in the past.

IMPOSSIBLEMAN

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
Well I prefer FF5

Chrome always hangs with me and I kill pages every day.

I have lost up to 4 articles over the last two months because of chrome.

Google must support ajax in vBulletin forums like this one

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
This is a crazy fast release cycle. I hope it doesn't bring more bugs than its worth.

Looking at the percentage of people that still use IE makes me sad.

Safari FTW

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Didn't 4 just come out like 6 months ago?

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Didn't 4 just come out like 6 months ago?
Indeed and the difference between Firefox 3 and 4 was waaay bigger then the difference between 4 and 5. They just copy the way Google gives Chrome it's version numbers, with every functionality update getting a new version number (that's why Google Chrome 12 is already out). In the past, Mozilla would have given this kind of release a 4.1 version number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.