Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I notice that after a while FireFox becomes sluggish. But I do like the Do-Not-Track option. Does Safari have that option?

Check Activity Monitor and you'll see why. I've noticed often 500MB+ of memory being used by Firefox. Wish Mozilla would fix the memory footprint issues.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I am probably not going to upgrade to the new Firefox. I tried version 4 but didn't like the way it worked. While I have loved Firefox for years, their new design leaves me cold. It's so different from the previous version that it slows me down. And my add-ons are not compatible with the new versions. I just went back to 3.6.12. I think I may be ready to try Safari again.

Running an old browser is a bad idea. And you do know you can put the tabs back to where they should be by changing some settings, right? It's the first thing I did after installing FF4.

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
Firefox freezes and hangs like mad for me (and I know others who say the same). I don't know what the problem is, but there is one and they don't seem to have found a fix.

(And yeah, I've tried completely wiping it from my Mac to reinstall and a number of other things)

Yea, it had caused my system to beachball all the time and make my machine very unresponsive in the past.

I kept having problems with FF4 hanging, and it got to the point where it wouldn't even exit out of the program (I kept having to force quit). I ended up grabbing the bookmark backups, and uninstalling it all together, then doing a complete reinstall from scratch. That seems to have fixed almost all of the sluggishness.

I dunno that I'll upgrade to 5 just yet tho.
I had the same problems after switching from V3.6 to 5 on my MBP, and after 3 days of that, I went back to V3.6

I'm having the same problems on my company HP laptop, juts not as frequent, so it's not solely a Mac issue. I'll be going back to V3.6 on that as well.

It's made me think about Chrome now.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The error console spits out errors about stuff like -moz-transition which implies Apple's site is using some specific Mozilla tags that are now deprecated. This is an Apple issue, not a Mozilla issue.

Most of the internet uses -vendor prefixes until the CSS3 spec is complete.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
If you're not using Chrome, you're doing it wrong.

Also I am amazed that IE is still in use in over 40% of pc's.

If I ever launch IE on Windows, I vomit.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If you're not using Chrome, you're doing it wrong.

Also I am amazed that IE is still in use in over 40% of pc's.

If I ever launch IE on Windows, I vomit.

IE 8 and 9 are not that bad and heads over heals better than Safari on windows.

Safari is the worse windows browser.

That being said I use Chrome for my main browser followed by FF then IE and god help me I will fall back to Safari if need to.

on a Mac it is Chrome, FF and then Safari ONLY if I half to.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I use Chrome as a secondary browser, it's alright but Firefox still wins IMO. Until Chrome has a NoScript alternative it'll never be my main browser for a start.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
When is that supposed to be? A quick Google search didn't result in any decent information.
Pretty much never. The w3c operates in a state of continuous working drafts and recommendations and overlapping partially redundant standards that are only sometimes implemented by the various vendors years later. And by that time, the next cool thing is coming up.

I'm not saying there's a better way to do it. You have to live in the real world. But if you really want to know what's available, wikipedia usually does a pretty good job of tracking things like this. Here for example.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Most of the internet uses -vendor prefixes until the CSS3 spec is complete.
Yup and that's why it is mostly their own problem and not particularly the webbrowser. Apart from that, using any new technology that is still in active development isn't the wisest thing to do because it can cause problems like this.

Btw, Apple fixed the issue, their site now runs properly in Firefox again.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I'm getting the spinning beach ball a lot with FF 5.0.1. It is awfully slow and has really messed up my focus when working while having to constantly wait for pages to load. I tried speed tweaking it too and it was blazingly fast for a brief period of time and then went back to the spinning ball. The only reason I use FF is for the addons. I think I'm going to revert way back to 3.6 or screw the addons and go to Safari or Chrome.

Steve

arcite

macrumors 6502a
I'm getting the spinning beach ball a lot with FF 5.0.1. It is awfully slow and has really messed up my focus when working while having to constantly wait for pages to load. I tried speed tweaking it too and it was blazingly fast for a brief period of time and then went back to the spinning ball. The only reason I use FF is for the addons. I think I'm going to revert way back to 3.6 or screw the addons and go to Safari or Chrome.

Steve

Try the FF 6.0 BETA, performance is much improved.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Yeh but still most addons don't work :/ so its speed vs compatibility
Actually, Greasemonkey and Adblock Plus, the two Firefox addons I use, have been updated for compatibility with Firefox 6 AND 7... and I wouldn't be at all surprised if more add-on developers do this with their add-ons.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
3 more questions please...

1) Am I the only one that gets the spinning beach ball with FF 5.0.1 so much that it was unusable?

2) Can I still get one of the early ugly versions of FF? Just asking because it sure was fast then. I know FF 3.6.1.9 is one of the "pretty" ones.

3) Does anyone know when FF will release the non-beta version of 6.0?

Thanks again.

Steve

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
3 more questions please...

1) Am I the only one that gets the spinning beach ball with FF 5.0.1 so much that it was unusable?

2) Can I still get one of the early ugly versions of FF? Just asking because it sure was fast then. I know FF 3.6.1.9 is one of the "pretty" ones.

3) Does anyone know when FF will release the non-beta version of 6.0?

Thanks again.

Steve
1) Nope. I get beach balls a lot with Firefox when using the sync feature and trying to access my history.

2) Older Firefox versions for Windows - there's an equivalent page for Mac versions, here.

3) Every six weeks is the goal. Firefox 6 stable should be out any day now - it would have been due on August 2 or 3, according to my calculations.

EDIT: Wikipedia to the rescue! Firefox 6 is scheduled for release on August 16, 2011... one more week to go.

Last edited:

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Geeez, I'm getting beach balls a lot even since downgrading to the oldest version I could find (3.6.1.9). I didn't use to have this problem so now I'm wondering if there is something wrong in my settings?

Hey thanks for the list of old FF versions. I wonder which one is the most stable? I think I read somewhere that 3.6.12 was pretty good.

Thanks
Steve

1) Nope. I get beach balls a lot with Firefox when using the sync feature and trying to access my history.

2) Older Firefox versions for Windows - there's an equivalent page for Mac versions, here.

3) Every six weeks is the goal. Firefox 6 stable should be out any day now - it would have been due on August 2 or 3, according to my calculations.

EDIT: Wikipedia to the rescue! Firefox 6 is scheduled for release on August 16, 2011... one more week to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.