PDA

View Full Version : Pentax announces a mirrorless camera system with interchangeable lenses

OreoCookie
Jun 23, 2011, 03:41 AM
Pentax has announced the Q (http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/Q_Black/), a small mirrorless camera with its own lens mount. At first, I was very happy, but then I read that the sensor measures only 1/2.3". Damn. I don't know about you, but this immediately disqualifies the Q for me :mad:

So what do you guys think?

TheReef
Jun 23, 2011, 04:30 AM
Wackiest flash design I've ever seen :p

http://wkoopmans.ca/notebook/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/untitled.jpg
The sensor is too small for my liking and not sticking with the K-mount is unfortunate (that does though mean they can make the body considerably smaller).

Pentax had the perfect opportunity to mate their excellent line of DA limited pancakes to an equally pocketable body, and... didn't :(

It does look nice in black though :)

robbieduncan
Jun 23, 2011, 04:47 AM
It has a smaller sensor than a Canon S95 compact. It is less pocketable than an S95. I think I'd rather buy a real compact than one of these with a compact camera sensor.

mtbdudex
Jun 23, 2011, 04:52 AM
Wackiest flash design I've ever seen :p

Will having the flash high like that eliminate red-eye?

I'd hate to see the warranty projections for that flash design, it will get broken more.

TheReef
Jun 23, 2011, 04:56 AM
Will having the flash high like that eliminate red-eye?

I'd hate to see the warranty projections for that flash design, it will get broken more.

I was wondering this as well, it may also give images more "depth" being off to the side.

cleanup
Jun 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
Camera design itself looks interesting but the tiny sensor makes it sort of bogus for anyone who wants to take photography seriously with it. Who knows, it may be priced aggressively to take hold of the upgrading-from-a-point-and-shoot crowd. The GF series from Panny and the NEX series are going the direction of fewer manual controls and more simplified operation. A new system camera user would not normally understand the effect or importance of sensor size (nor are they likely to even notice unless someone tells them) so this camera certainly still has a market.

More exciting is the new tiny PEN camera coming out which has the same M4/3 mount but is supposed to be the size of an XZ-1. Also the new EP-3 which will finally have a popup flash. :)

robbieduncan
Jun 23, 2011, 09:16 AM
Who knows, it may be priced aggressively to take hold of the upgrading-from-a-point-and-shoot crowd.

$800/700 with the 8.5mm (47mm in 35mm full frame equivalent terms). Not all that aggressive.

joepunk
Jun 23, 2011, 09:16 AM
I'd be playing with that pop up flash so much that it would need servicing after a month.

I like the looks of the camera and that nice large control dial. But, as others have said, that dang sensor size should be larger.

Oh, and after looking closer at the camera I like the separate camera card compartment from the battery. And how each compartment is located on each side. Making changing card/battery on a tripod easy.

Cliff3
Jun 23, 2011, 09:26 AM
So what do you guys think?

I think m4/3rds is probably the winner in this segment and everyone else is an also ran. I continue to wait for a camera with a permanently attached optical viewfinder. Color me old-fashioned, but I don't like composing a photo via an LCD screen.

That flash is some sort of serious Rube Goldberg-kludge and is probably going to break off at some point. edit: And a 1/2.3" sensor? No thanks.

jdavtz
Jun 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
I continue to wait for a camera with a permanently attached optical viewfinder. Color me old-fashioned, but I don't like composing a photo via an LCD screen.

Have you had a look at the Fuji X100?

cleanup
Jun 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
$800/700 with the 8.5mm (47mm in 35mm full frame equivalent terms). Not all that aggressive.

Wow, never mind then. Let's hope for Pentax that there are some rather vain and deep-pocketed consumers out there. Really the only thing going for this camera is its size and sleek looks.

Unfortunately it's not much smaller than the new NEX C3, though the NEX is comparatively uglier:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxQ/images/sidebyside1.jpg

The sensor size difference is even more obvious here.

Cliff3
Jun 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
Have you had a look at the Fuji X100?

Whatever I eventually opt for also needs interchangeable lenses. Plus, I think the Fuji is overpriced for what it is.

El Cabong
Jun 23, 2011, 04:17 PM
With a rumored Pentax APS-C offering a few months from now, the Q is pretty baffling (hence the name?). Additionally:

The price is well beyond what consumers will want to spend.
The body design (a good number of controls, magnesium alloy chassis, hotshoe) and DNG output is clearly aimed at enthusiasts, but the sensor size sinks it for that market.
The small aperture, manual focus "toy" lenses (35mm equiv. f/7.1 and 100mm f/8) are practically useless.

Unless Pentax was able to do something miraculous with that BSI sensor, I can't see the logic of anyone wasting money on this camera, except retro/gadget hounds with too much cash. An LX-5/XZ-1/S95 would be a far better choice.

Also, the flash makes it look like a Transformer.

OreoCookie
Jun 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
If the camera was a good technical basis for the future, I wouldn't mind if the exterior is, well, let's say, quirky. But it's not cheaper compared to m4/3 offerings and the sensor size disqualifies it immediately. Thom Hogan has written a pretty good post on his homepage (bythom.com).

cube
Jun 23, 2011, 04:33 PM
What is the crop factor?

robbieduncan
Jun 23, 2011, 04:34 PM
What is the crop factor?

The 49mm equivalent lens is actually 8.5mm.

OreoCookie
Jun 23, 2011, 04:43 PM
What is the crop factor?
Ridiculous.

cube
Jun 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
The 49mm equivalent lens is actually 8.5mm.

That's an ugly 5.76etc number.

I was thinking the other day it could be interesting if someone made a micro system with factor 4. But I was not sure about the sensor size.

This one is too small.

gnd
Jun 24, 2011, 02:19 AM
Here is an interesting size comparison photo :eek:

http://www.monitor.si/images/novice/slika/pentaxq.jpg

firestarter
Jun 24, 2011, 06:49 AM
I like Pentax as a company.

Sad to see them wasting time on ill-conceived stuff like this.