Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scofie65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Bought a Zoom X3 ADSL modem to use on my BT braodband, going through my Airport Extreme. Can't get it to connect.
A friend set it up, and managed to get it to work, and 5 mins after he left, it gave me a "can't connect to server" message on any web page I tried to get onto.
I pluged the modem into my ethernet port on my powerbook, and managed to connect, but again only for about 5 mins, then back came the message.
The macs I have see my network, but I can't get on the net.
Any help?

Applespider

macrumors G4
BT were apparently having problems over the weekend with connections that kept dropping, particularly where the line was supposedly at the new 2MB speed.

It sounds like the connection to the net is dropping so it's a problem with the modem settings rather than the airport.

You might want to check whether the firmware for the modem has been updated http://www.zoom.com/techsupport/adsl/adsl_5560.shtml

Zoom's support also suggests the following
When the Zoom ADSL modem loses the physical connection for any length of time due to an outage from your DSL provider, it may require that the modem be power cycled (recycled).
Alternately, you can go into the Advance setup of the modem's HTML pages to renew the IP address. If you are running "RFC 1483 Bridged/Routed" encapsulation, you can go into the Wan status of the Advance Setup and click "Release/Renew" to refresh the IP address. If running a PPPoE/PPPoA encapsulation you would need to go into the PPP status page of the Advance Setup and click "Connect/Reconnect" to refresh the IP address. You should also verify that "Automatic Reconnect" is checked as well.

The modem will not automatically put in a request for a new IP when the physical connection is re-established. This is because the modem has retained the previous IP address in memory and will wait for the remaining lease time to be over before putting in a request for a new IP address. The average lease time set by most servers is usually 3 days, so whatever time is remaining from the original request of the 3 day lease is the time the modem will wait before asking for a new IP address. Many times this will not be necessary as the ISP usually reassigns you the same IP address if still available and you will be able to reestablish the connection with no further ado. But sometimes, when it does not, you will have to manually put in a request to renew to get a new IP or power recycle the modem in order to be able to fully re-establish the connection.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
scofie65 said:
Bought a Zoom X3 ADSL modem to use on my BT braodband, going through my Airport Extreme. Can't get it to connect.
A friend set it up, and managed to get it to work, and 5 mins after he left, it gave me a "can't connect to server" message on any web page I tried to get onto.
I pluged the modem into my ethernet port on my powerbook, and managed to connect, but again only for about 5 mins, then back came the message.
The macs I have see my network, but I can't get on the net.
Any help?

The poster above seems to have hit on the like the most likely problem, so switching off and back on should work. Rest assured though - I have had a Zoom x3 and airport extreme for two years with no problems whatsoever. Nice bit of kit.

scofie65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Zoom X3 ADSL modem and Apple Airport

After the post by Applespider, I upgraded the firmware on the Imac that was used to set up the Zoom, and then tried again to use the airport.
(I should have mentioned that I first tried this Zoom about 9 months ago, before BT increased to 2mb).
Again, it doesn't connect, and when I plugged it straight into my mac, it still can't connect.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Difficult to give you any help with this without finding out exactly what you're doing, what the settings are, etc. However, I would suggest you keep fiddling - aim to get the thing connected to the internet first using an internet cable, and then once it's going, setting up airport. Just a few things to check though - firstly, did you follow the instructions in the Zoom manual exactly, and did you get your username and password for BT right?

scofie65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Success

When I plugged the Zoom into my Imac that had been installed on, I could find the modem on Safari, but when I plugged the modem into the airport, the mac couldn't see the modem through the network. After speaking to Zoom, they replaced the modem.
When it came back I plugged it into the airport, and again, I couldn't get the internet up.
But this time the iMac could see the modem preferences, so when I checked the modem, I came to a log-in that was wrong, so changed that, and success.
Still don't know what was wrong with the modem, but now its been changed and working, I don't really care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.