Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ/Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Hi guys
i just had my 5th gen Ipod died last week
and i just cant handle not having one
i want to buy the current 6th gen { if u think about the update its 7th gen }
but now will there be an update on sep/2011 , or will they " Dis-cont " the product !!!!
i hope they dont but i dont want to wait and they do !!!
so what do u recommend guys ??
thx alot

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
There's no reason why Apple won't update their iPod line this year, its definitely worth to wait.

AJ/Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I didnt say that they wont update the entire ipod line
Its just that i keep hearing that they might discontinue the ipod classic
Which is why i am askin , because i dont want a nano or shuffle i just want the classic , but i dont want to wait and they discontinue them and i get stuck !!!
How strong are those rumors ?

Le Buzz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Just wait till sept. If they don't update the ipod classic then go purchase one right after the event. Problem solved.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Waiting is definetly the way to go, not will you most likely get a new device but the new features will help.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Discontinuing the line doesn't mean that they will all magically vanish off the shelves. If anything, they may lower the price to get rid of the remaining stock, but they'll still be available for purchase.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think the old adage "buy if you need, wait if you want" might apply here. Yes, others have advised that you wait and it is true that all of the old classics will not disappear overnight should Apple decide to discontinue the model. However, if you feel you cannot live without access to your music, buy now.

Personally, if and iPod died on me (and they have done so) I would replace them immediately, irrespective of whether an update or refresh is due shortly. Then, I like the idea of being able to have access to my music.

Cheers

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
If you need it buy now. If you wait, you face uncertainty as to whether the new product will be better for your needs. Who knows if there will be a new model, or if the new version will have a better mix of features, prices, and size?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The classic probably won't have too much in the way of an update, at most it may have a capacity bump so I'd buy it now.

zapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
Toronto
I bought mine last week and have been enjoying it, but I'll be kinda peeved if I found out that there is an update; especially if it's an increase in capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.