Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
No joke, it is extremely "snappy".

Been using the GM for a while now and finding that Safari is a lot faster than it was on Snow Leopard and for the first time ever I might actually use it as my default browser.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I assume this is a move to using discrete processes for different functions? Safari was always nice and fast compared to other browsers until it started to lag behind once Chrome came out with its separate process tabs, though I kept using Safari anyway.

When Safari is running now, what exactly are the processes and what does each do? The features page only mentions one for web content and one for GUI, is that it, or are there separate ones for individual tabs, plug-ins etc.?

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Scroll bars are a lot nicer than on Chrome also.

Pages load very fast & it just comes across as a pleasant browsing experience.

Is there any adblock plus available for Safari though?

If Safari had the search bar combined with the URL bar it would be pretty close to perfect IMO.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Two-finger swipe to go back / forward has sold me. The way the page slides across is the way all browsers should work. Love it!

I've gotten really used to using that. I miss it when using the iPad.

MacBookPro13";12865176 said:
Is there any adblock plus available for Safari though?

Safari menu >> Safari Extensions... It's top of the Most Popular list.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I think it's only possible to disable that systemwide. At least until someone discovers a terminal command.

tgt

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
For now you could swap the keyboard shortcut for:

Quit Safari to Cmd-Opt-Q
Quit and Discard Windows to Cmd-Q

in System Preferences.

Probably won't cause any problems.

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Anyone else got the same Safari issue as I have.

When browsing through pages (which is much faster in this GM) if I use my magic mouse to swipe back to a previous page - the page seems to lock and doesn't allow any clicks on links what so ever. I can open a new tab or a new window and it works fine, but that page still won't work. Irritating.

looptrick

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Mhh i think i am carry on using chrome until Safari don´t have the option to ask where to download a file. Its so stupid that this is not possible...

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Mhh i think i am carry on using chrome until Safari don´t have the option to ask where to download a file. Its so stupid that this is not possible...
You can set the default download location for a file, or you can right-click and choose "Download linked file as…", what more do you need?

kftrainer

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Issue with Safari on Lion

I am having problems with starting Safari it crashes when loading. It get to the point of the Top Sites Home Page , I see the spinning beachball and then creashes , I did reboot computer but it is not working Any suggestions ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.