PDA

View Full Version : iPod 5G plays but there is no sound

Artmuzz
Jul 2, 2011, 11:03 AM
I bought an iPod Video 5G secondhand today and when I got home to play some music on it there is no sound. When I turn the volume up all I hear is background hiss. The music is playing because the music track counter is moving.

Could I be right in thinking that it could be an issue with the hard disk?

Please help.

AdrianK
Jul 2, 2011, 11:24 AM
Restore in iTunes, if that doesn't do it it's definitely a hardware problem. Take it back, get a refund?

Artmuzz
Jul 2, 2011, 02:14 PM
I did a restore on iTunes but I'm still getting no audio even when music is playing. I can hear some background hiss when I turn up volume to maximum. When I put the iPod next to my ear and play a track I hear the hard drive spin then it stops after a second. This is what is making me think it's a hard disc problem.

Intell
Jul 2, 2011, 02:21 PM
Its probably the hardware problem that effected most iPod 5G/5.5G devices. If you squeeze somewhere on the click wheel, I forget where, the sound will return as long as you squeeze it. There is no fix for this problem.

Artmuzz
Jul 2, 2011, 03:11 PM
Its probably the hardware problem that effected most iPod 5G/5.5G devices. If you squeeze somewhere on the click wheel, I forget where, the sound will return as long as you squeeze it. There is no fix for this problem.

I tried squeezing the click wheel and at the right bottom of the click wheel but I still hear no music. My only hope is that I get my money refunded when I take it back to my local secondhand shop.:(

Artmuzz
Jul 4, 2011, 10:28 AM
I took the iPod 5G back to the shop but the guy refused to give me a refund. Instead he told me he would have to take it off me to repair it. He then told he would phone me in a couple of days once it is repaired. I gave him the iPod to repair and he said he would phone me back. I am actually finding this suspicious.

Artmuzz
Jul 11, 2011, 07:36 AM
I went back to the secondhand shop and it was a bit of a carry on. My iPod was still sitting on the bosses desk untouched. I asked for a full refund but he refused to give me a refund telling me that there is no money back guarantee on secondhand goods. I then told him that I know my rights and by law secondhand goods have got to come with a money back guarantee if it is not in satisfactory condition. The guy then started shouting and arguing so I asked for my iPod back and told them that I will be in touch with trading standards and walked out.

jackblay
Oct 10, 2011, 07:47 AM
My iPod video is having the same problem. The magic squeezing spot on my iPod is halfway between the fast forward and the play/pause, just off the click wheel. It's inconvenient to have to squeeze it in order to hear, but...

DJLC
Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
I've seen and repaired this issue before. In my experience, it's one of two things: a bad headphone port assembly or a bad logic board. It's pretty easy to find the parts online + install w/ iFixIt guides.

IconicM
Oct 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
You could also see if you're getting audio out the 30 pin connector, barrow a dock or cable. Might help you narrow it down.