Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I went in recently to have my iPhone checked out and I have to say the people that work there definately fit the "Think Differently" theme of Apple. There were maybe 4 or 5 normal looking staff members in there that if you passed them on the street you wouldn't give them a second look, the rest of their employees were wearing the most wacked out clothing, guys with denim jeans rolled up to just below their knees, shorts that looked like they were made out of my grandma's old certains, "earthy" shoes that looked like they were made out of hay straw etc etc... The clothing was one thing but then you get to the hair styles in there and it looks like what you'd expect to see at a late night Rave party. It was to the point that the few normally attired staff members actually looked out of place. I've been in before a few years ago but WOW what an unusual crew.:eek:

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
I went in recently to have my iPhone checked out and I have to say the people that work there definately fit the "Think Differently" theme of Apple. There were maybe 4 or 5 normal looking staff members in there that if you passed them on the street you wouldn't give them a second look, the rest of their employees were wearing the most wacked out clothing, guys with denim jeans rolled up to just below their knees, shorts that looked like they were made out of my grandma's old certains, "earthy" shoes that looked like they were made out of hay straw etc etc... The clothing was one thing but then you get to the hair styles in there and it looks like what you'd expect to see at a late night Rave party. It was to the point that the few normally attired staff members actually looked out of place. I've been in before a few years ago but WOW what an unusual crew.:eek:

apple needs to look "diverse", so they dont get in trouble for hiring blonde haired, blue eyed employees like abercrombie and fitch

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nothing wrong with it tbh. They all wear there apple t-shirts!

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011

What's wrong with people judging other people based on their clothes?

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
They are really encouraging their employees to be expressive and unique, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The last employee to help me at the Apple store wore camo shorts and orange boots.

I wasn't really following when he going over AppleCare and such. Just really interested in those boots. ;)

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
Haha, I think it's cool to see how relaxed their employees are dressed. It gives the customer a sense of "these are real people" rather than the boring old employee with the appropriate attire that just wants to sell you anything.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
**** the Apple Store and their hiring processes. I've been using Macs and Apple hardware since a few years after the Apple // came out. I applied for the position in Tampa and they said I wasn't qualified.

I don't care what they wear. I asked one of them how to network Windows 7 sharing and OS X sharing and they didn't know. Please. They can wear whatever they want, they look cool to me.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I appreciate that there is some room for self-expression in the way staff can dress. You can always decipher who is an Apple employee in the store, but at the same time they don't all look like Target or Wal Mart workers.

Honestly, as a guy with tattoos I like that a retail chain doesn't make its employees cover up their work in order to work there. :cool:

**** the Apple Store and their hiring processes. I've been using Macs and Apple hardware since a few years after the Apple // came out. I applied for the position in Tampa and they said I wasn't qualified.

I don't care what they wear. I asked one of them how to network Windows 7 sharing and OS X sharing and they didn't know. Please. They can wear whatever they want, they look cool to me.

I've always wondered what are the criteria Apple require to be employed at their retail stores. For some reason technical savvy doesn't strike me as the most important qualification. What are they looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I noticed the same thing, but have no issue with it. I dress more on the preppy side so I always look out of place in an Apple store. I bet if there was a macrumors meet-up you would see more of the same.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Completely unrelated, but one Apple Store employee at my store had gauges in which you could slide your whole fist through it :eek::eek:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I could care less what they were wearing as long as they were knowledgeable and helpful.

Why judge a person based on their clothing :confused:

May 8, 2008
I noticed the same thing, but have no issue with it. I dress more on the preppy side so I always look out of place in an Apple store. I bet if there was a macrumors meet-up you would see more of the same.

Yeah, every time I go to my Apple store I feel like I should rip up my clothes and roll in dirt beforehand.

I could care less what they were wearing as long as they were knowledgeable and helpful.

So one doesn't inadvertently embarrass their self.

You do it every day, you just don't realize it.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
All I can say on the topic is that.....

If you are going to allow flip flops, please insist that the feet showing have seen soap/water/scrub brush in the last decade. Please.

Oh and no nail fungus showing.

Really, I was a bit grossed out that trip.... To be fair, most people wearing flip flops in my area gross me out with feet that don't look like they have ever been scrubbed. But the filthy feet coupled with the nasty nails was a wee bit too much.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I couldn't care less what they wear. I do question the bathing habits of many Apple store employees.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
At the Apple store in Louisville they have like a dress code because everyone, girls and boys, were wearing their apple shirts, blue jeans, and tennis shoes.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
Same with my job. We call them "guests" instead of "customers" because you want to treat them like a guest in your house not a dollar sign.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Completely unrelated, but one Apple Store employee at my store had gauges in which you could slide your whole fist through it :eek::eek:

I tried stretching my ears once when I was like 15. One of them bled so I didn't do it and later ended up taking out my regular ear piercings. :p

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Haha, I think it's cool to see how relaxed their employees are dressed. It gives the customer a sense of "these are real people" rather than the boring old employee with the appropriate attire that just wants to sell you anything.

Considering they don't get paid well, or treated decent, I can understand their complete lack of enthusiasm.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Considering they don't get paid well, or treated decent, I can understand their complete lack of enthusiasm.

Retail is retail. But considering how well Apple Stores are doing, the human element inside of them is probably due some credit.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So one doesn't inadvertently embarrass their self.

Wait, how can you embarrass yourself by not making a rash judgment based on appearance ?

Seems to me it's the snobs that do judge a person by their clothes/style/appearance that are embarrassing themselves.

You do it every day, you just don't realize it.

A nice justification, unfortunately, since you don't know neither maflynn or others, you can't make that statement as a fact.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I worked in computer retail in the early 90s. One Saturday, a guy came in dressed like a bum- jeans and sneakers with holes in them and was disheveled. We worked on an up system and no one ahead of me wanted to help him. I did.

He bought a bunch of software where I made a nice commission. Came back almost every weekend for more stuff for him and his kid. Turns out he was a VP of MIS for Chemical Bank (now part of Chase). I made several hundred thousand dollars in commissions over the years selling them computers, software and services.

I never judge people by their clothes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.