Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pumanyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Hi
Are there any good browsers available for os9 (i must upgrade one of these days). I've been pretty happy with Netscape 7 (and IE5 when I have to), but since the weekend the macrumors homepage looks awful (see attached screenshots) the forum seems fine thank good.

update:
well since posting, whatever you changed to the MR css made it display much better in Netscape so thank you. I'd still be interested to hear of a better browser though.
Thanks

Attachments

• netscape702.gif
    netscape702.gif
    29 KB · Views: 279
  • ie516.gif
    ie516.gif
    32 KB · Views: 249

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I have the same annoying problem with MR in IE5.1.7.

Generally, there are no "good" browsers for OS9 - because they are so old, many Java applets don't work properly.

However, Mozilla 1.3.1 seems to work pretty well - and it doesn't have those nasty scrollbars around each MR news item: http://wamcom.org/

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Actually the last Mozilla release for OS 9 was 1.2.1, not 1.3.1. I found it to be somewhat buggy when I used to use it. Really, the only usable choices IMO are Netscape, Mozilla, IE, and iCab. I used IE mostly back in the day as it was the most decent of all the choices. Somehow iCab just didn't click with me.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mms said:
Actually the last Mozilla release for OS 9 was 1.2.1, not 1.3.1.

There is an unofficial Mozilla version that supports 8.6 and is based off of version 1.4/1.3.1. It is pretty nice but fairly slow...

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
pumanyc said:
Hi
Are there any good browsers available for os9 (i must upgrade one of these days). I've been pretty happy with Netscape 7 (and IE5 when I have to), but since the weekend the macrumors homepage looks awful (see attached screenshots) the forum seems fine thank good.

update:
well since posting, whatever you changed to the MR css made it display much better in Netscape so thank you. I'd still be interested to hear of a better browser though.
Thanks

Time to upgrade to OS X?

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
mms said:
Actually the last Mozilla release for OS 9 was 1.2.1, not 1.3.1. I found it to be somewhat buggy when I used to use it. Really, the only usable choices IMO are Netscape, Mozilla, IE, and iCab. I used IE mostly back in the day as it was the most decent of all the choices. Somehow iCab just didn't click with me.

I'm using Mozilla 1.3.1 in OS9...

It isn't the official Mozilla release, it was released by WamCom (see my earlier post for a link). It is a little slow on my 350MHz G3 iMac, but it handles websites better than IE5.1.7.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
wwooden said:
It's very strange to see those pictures because they have no font smoothing. Everything looks very computery.

thats what i say each time i am in the pc lab on campus.

anyway on subject have you tired opera on os 9?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.