Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I am waiting to see if the 11" has any additional storage options, but I have also been thinking about just upgrading my 128 SSD to the 240 Gb. I wanted to know if any current OWC Mercury Aura owners noticed any peculiar issues after using the drive for a month or longer? I read some posts that the drive does not instant on (after sleeping an hour or longer) like the stock Apple SSD. I thought I would ask before taking the plunge. Thanks.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Except for the cost of these and the likelihood you will void your warranty....

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
That is misinformation.

How is that mis-information? The fact that Apple used security 5 point screws on the bottom case implies that they are not willing to have customers do self-upgrades, and hence as the previous poster suggested, upgrading the SSD would likely void your warranty for the component and any other related components that could have been potentially damaged by the upgrade.

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
1. The drive goes instant on fine without a problem.
2. It acts just like the standard drive--can't tell the difference.
3. Who knows about the warranty, but the installation is really easy and really easy to reverse if you have to take the computer into the Apple Store for a warranty issue.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Good to know as I've been thinking of trying to get a 13" 256gb model cheap off ebay then sell it on with the 128GB from my 11"

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
When in doubt, purchase Apple Care after you do the surgery. :)

If a laptop is eligible for extended AppleCare, it already has AppleCare limited warranty.. You'd still void the warranty if the action wasnt allowed before you extended it, and that extension would also be void for the affected parts.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
If a laptop is eligible for extended AppleCare, it already has AppleCare limited warranty.. You'd still void the warranty if the action wasnt allowed before you extended it, and that extension would also be void for the affected parts.

:(. Thanks for the info anyway.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Keep your old drive and reinstall it if you ever take it in for service if you are that concerned. I'd take it out anyway just to risk someone not putting it back in if it were to be serviced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.