PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have to unlock files all the time?

poobear
Jul 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
Why do I have to unlock files all the time?

E.g. I go to http://www.pnas.org/content/101/52/17895.full.pdf+html, Safari downloads the file, I doubleclick to open it in Preview. I try to highlight some text with yellow color, but OS X popups a window asking me if I want to unlock the file.

Is it possible to disable this locking of files? I don't want my system to resemble Vista with popup windows every minute.

Thanks

haravikk
Jul 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
That sounds like a bit of a buggy behaviour, as only files you haven't used in a while are supposed to lock automatically, so surely a file you've just downloaded should count as "new" for that purpose?

Otherwise the only way to get rid of those dialogues is going to be to turn off Versions, which is going to suck worse overall.

poobear
Jul 12, 2011, 02:00 PM
Some files that you download have a very old last accessed/modified date. I guess OS X thinks these files haven't been used in a while.

I don't want this behavior for old files either. Are you saying turning Versions off disables this behavior? How do I disable Versions in that case?

Thanks

mrapplegate
Jul 12, 2011, 02:20 PM
You can change the time it takes the system to lock the files in TM preferences, under options.

poobear
Jul 12, 2011, 02:22 PM
You can change the time it takes the system to lock the files in TM preferences, under options.
Perfect! And you can disable it too \o/ (I guess without disabling Version?)

mrapplegate
Jul 12, 2011, 02:23 PM
Perfect! And you can disable it too \o/ (I guess without disabling Version?)

I think so, I've never adjusted it, but it looks like you can.