Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakepeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

I have acquired a 2.7 ghz dual powermac without a hard disk, I have an old 1.6 ghz powermac, I have taken the drive from the 1.6 and plugged it into the 2.7 but it doesn't boot up. Anything I should know??

Thanks.

jakepeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I didn't get the logo or the chime. the only thing that happened is I could hear the fan spinning :/

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
I didn't get the logo or the chime. the only thing that happened is I could hear the fan spinning :/

Its quite possible that you have received a broken powermac. The 2.7ghz model had LCS issues. I would open it up and look for corrosion.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Hasn't responded back, that'd totally suck if LCS was the issue.

Ofcourse that's worst case scenario, there are a handful of super easy simple fix solutions for reasons why a G5 can and will exhibit such behavior.

Try resetting the PRAM?

Remove the battery?

Reset the SMC ( I think that's what it's called, check acronym, sorry off the top of the head) via motherboard?

HDD could be incompatible with 2.7 G5?

Never know, but if there WAS A LCS leak, then I'd bet money that's the issue :(

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The drive should work with no issues so I would assume the 2.7ghz G5 to not be working correctly.

Unless the 1.6 model(assuming it was a singe 1.6ghz G5 Powermac) was running a lower version of OS-X that is not compatible with the 2.7.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
could also be ram. needs to be same sticks and 2 of them going outwards from the center. :)
STV, youd get the folder with the question mark then wouldn't you?

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.