PDA

View Full Version : swap hdd from 1.6 powermac to 2.7 powermac

jakepeg
Jul 20, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hi,

I have acquired a 2.7 ghz dual powermac without a hard disk, I have an old 1.6 ghz powermac, I have taken the drive from the 1.6 and plugged it into the 2.7 but it doesn't boot up. Anything I should know??

Thanks.

adcx64
Jul 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
Could you post a little more info for us?:o
Do you get a grey Apple logo after the startup chime?

jakepeg
Jul 21, 2011, 01:37 AM
I didn't get the logo or the chime. the only thing that happened is I could hear the fan spinning :/

raysfan81
Jul 21, 2011, 08:09 PM
I didn't get the logo or the chime. the only thing that happened is I could hear the fan spinning :/

Its quite possible that you have received a broken powermac. The 2.7ghz model had LCS issues. I would open it up and look for corrosion.

Tucom
Jul 22, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hasn't responded back, that'd totally suck if LCS was the issue.

Ofcourse that's worst case scenario, there are a handful of super easy simple fix solutions for reasons why a G5 can and will exhibit such behavior.

Try resetting the PRAM?

Remove the battery?

Reset the SMC ( I think that's what it's called, check acronym, sorry off the top of the head) via motherboard?

HDD could be incompatible with 2.7 G5?

Never know, but if there WAS A LCS leak, then I'd bet money that's the issue :(

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
The drive should work with no issues so I would assume the 2.7ghz G5 to not be working correctly.

Unless the 1.6 model(assuming it was a singe 1.6ghz G5 Powermac) was running a lower version of OS-X that is not compatible with the 2.7.

VanneDC
Jul 24, 2011, 12:50 AM
could also be ram. needs to be same sticks and 2 of them going outwards from the center. :)
STV, youd get the folder with the question mark then wouldn't you?

:)