Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I'm an early adopter of new technology, and love any upgraded or improved hardware or software. So I was so excited about Lion and all the hype it was getting. Loved reading reviews like this one from yesterday, "The past two major computer operating system releases, Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, were incremental. Lion is very different. It's a big leap, and gives the Mac a much more modern look and feel for a world of tablets and smartphones. If you are willing to adjust, it's the best computer operating system out there."

However, after installing it, I think it feels like Snow Leopard with a few cool features added. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Lion, and I'm not talking about reverting back to SL, but I want it to be a bigger upgrade than how I'm currently feeling.

Everyone's excited about Launchpad and Mission control. To me, Launchpad seems no different than clicking the Applications icon in my task bar (except Launchpad shows all the Adobe Uninstall icons, and I can't delete them). And Mission Control merely shows you what you have opened at once. What's the big deal? I've read about the 250 other features, and some are nice, but this doesn't feel like the "very different" "big leap" that it's being hyped.

I sound more negative than I feel. Not really bashing it, so don't get defensive. I really just want someone to help me understand the cool benefits I was hoping to see.

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
I can see it being increasingly unimpressive on desktop machines (without trackpads), but I even agree from the standpoint of my macbook pro.

It was overhyped.
- "OMG GESTURES?!"... we had all the same gestures in Snow Leopard, they were just designed in a more logical manner, if BetterTouchTool didn't exist, I'd be back in Snow Leopard

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I can see it being increasingly unimpressive on desktop machines (without trackpads), but I even agree from the standpoint of my macbook pro.

It was overhyped.
- "OMG GESTURES?!"... we had all the same gestures in Snow Leopard, they were just designed in a more logical manner, if BetterTouchTool didn't exist, I'd be back in Snow Leopard

Exactly, I didn't think Gestures was a huge improvement either. I'm also on a 2011 MBP. I don't have BetterTouchTool.

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Exactly, I didn't think Gestures was a huge improvement either. I'm also on a 2011 MBP. I don't have BetterTouchTool.

With BetterTouchTool, I have:
4 finger swipe up = show desktop
4 finger swipe down = mission control
3 finger swipe down = launchpad

I highly suggest you get it

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Yes, I was pretty unimpressed. Sure, I love getting a new OS however it seems this has followed in SL's footsteps in just being a minor release. Its actually starting to look like they are cutting back on any major updates to OS X now.

When you look at what they have done, its actually pretty minimal.

- Launchpad is just an app that emulates the iPad 'desktop', which can't be kept open in place of the standard desktop....its an App.

- Mission Control is Expose, with a few new animations.

The total new features are:
  • Updated Expose
  • Very minor design/UI tweaks with new button styles and such
  • Launchpad…the most pointless app ever to be released on OS X (unless you've got a touchscreen, but even then its still fairly useless)
  • Gestures
  • Inverse Scrolling
  • Fullscreen
  • AutoSave
  • Restore on load
  • Updated 'About this Mac' window (whoopee doo!)
  • Updated iCal / Mail UI (which seem to be a bit unpopular with a lot of people)

Very underwhelming stuff really. Sure, nice features...but not really revolutionary.

TNTN

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I'm more confused than anything.

I don't get LaunchPad.
I still can't work out where my desktop is/how to get to it
The useless dashboard has been given greater prominence (why?!)
Finder is confusing me no end.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I sound more negative than I feel. Not really bashing it, so don't get defensive. I really just want someone to help me understand the cool benefits I was hoping to see.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html
If any of those don't appeal to you then Lion was not a good choice for you. No one can help you feel better about your preconceived feelings, after all it is just an operating system. It is what it is. Apple has given you what it has promised.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I rather like Lion. I will like it more say when we are at 10.7.3 or so, but so far so good. Kinda like a fresh new start (partly because I wiped everything and started from scratch)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I rather like Lion. I will like it more say when we are at 10.7.3 or so, but so far so good. Kinda like a fresh new start (partly because I wiped everything and started from scratch)

Starting to think I should have done that instead of upgrading. Still feels like a 10 year old OS at the mo :(

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html
If any of those don't appeal to you then Lion was not a good choice for you. No one can help you feel better about your preconceived feelings, after all it is just an operating system. It is what it is. Apple has given you what it has promised.

I get that, and I read that list before making my decision to purchase. I was just asking the question, do you feel this is the revolutionary, innovative new OS as it was hyped? Maybe I'm missing something. Which of the features listed in the link you sent are you enjoying the most?

MrMacster

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Lion: faster speeds and workflow but newer hardware needed to fully enjoy.

I must say that Lion really speeds up things as far as navigating and workflow. I was really surprised that it didn't do the opposite and make my computer sluggish. Safari really is much faster, at least from my POV. Videsa load faster on Your Tube and etc.

Yes, there is not too much to be excited about as far as major changes, especially if you are running an older Macbook Pro, where the track pad doesn't support gestures or even Air Drop. However, on an iMac, 2009 or later, it really rocks. I have 4GB on my iMac and am looking to bring it up to 8 or 16 - I can't imagine how nicely thus OS will run.

Enjoy Lion everyone.

Mr. Macster

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
It was never going to be revolutionary. It is a progressive development, and in my view, that is the correct way to go.

What interests me is, what would make an OS revolutionary for you?

MrMacster

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Launchpad, surprisingly a good idea.

Launchpad was the one update I was really on the fence about. i just never saw the need for such an addition. That said, I am enjoying it thus far as it's much easier. However, I'm guessing it's only more convenient if you have a trackpad.

My other favorite feature is the gesture to swipe new work spaces from right to left. Here you can have full screen apps on such as iTunes and just swipe t to another workspace as well as multiple many desk tops. i really enjoy this feature the most.

Mail is great, but I'm currently having an issue with my different accounts loading.

All in all, there is no way I would ever complain about the $30 price tag, which allows you to add to multiple computers. To me, it's a great deal. The one thing Apple is doing a very great job in, is making two/three year old computers feel worthless when it comes to software. That upsets me, but that's also why I update my hardware every two years. You just have to stay on top of it - but when you do, it's a great experience.

Mr. Macster

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I'm more confused than anything.

I don't get LaunchPad.
I still can't work out where my desktop is/how to get to it
The useless dashboard has been given greater prominence (why?!)
Finder is confusing me no end.

I'm right there with you. I am a recent Windows transfer who got tired of fighting bugs, design issues, unnecessary multiple ways of doing the same thing, and just outright stupid implementation of things. I bought a MBP in March and within minutes I felt at home with the OS and simplicity of things (plus the fact that everything just works). I feel Lion is a big step backwards and feels more like Windows 7 with all the unnecessary eye-candy implementations. I feel like I downloaded a bunch of 3rd party toys from the app store and installed them on top of Snow Leopard. Within 24 hours I’m thinking to myself – OK, I’m over that new toy – get rid of it. But I can’t. It is inherent to the OS.
I think the most disappointing thing for me is all of the bugs. I know its brand new (yada, yada) and there will be issues, but there are a LOT of issues. I’ve been bragging to all of my Windows friends about the stability of my Mac and how everything just works – “see, just as soon as I open my laptop my wireless immediately connects and I don’t have to wait 3o-seconds or even worse recycle my connection”. Well, not any more. Every time my laptop comes out of sleep I have to stop/start wireless. I feel like I’m using Windows again.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It was never going to be revolutionary. It is a progressive development, and in my view, that is the correct way to go.

For me:

- Recognition that a lot of people use dual monitors or more...Lion is a step backwards for this as it really does mess up dual screens (fullscreen mode, quicktime, etc).

- The UI has needed an overhaul for a long time now. Simply recovering the blues and making buttons slightly more bland doesn't exactly help things.

- Adding silly features (Launchpad) that are as useful as Dashboard are holding back true developments.

Things I'd like to see:

- True revision control on documents. Not a time machine save of files, a true line for line revision control system.
- Window Snapping (ala Windows 7)
- More control (dock positions, :apple:bar repositioning, overall allowing for more customisation to the UI and layout)
- Better integration with online services for notifications. E.g you add your email, twitter, ftp, flickr, whatever accounts and can receive notifications and feeds directly to the desktop, built into the UI
- A complete rewrite of iTunes to address its inherent inability to shuffle songs correctly as well as its pathetic integration of iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing which results in lag and general poor performance regardless of which Mac its running on
- Complete removal of Carbon to force a consistent UI across the OS
- More system API's opened up to allow for things such as TRIM support on non-Apple SSD drives, Blueray drivers, etc

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
To be honest I was only ever overwhelmed when Panther (10.3) came out. It made Mac OSX so much more stable and faster..

All the other versions of Mac OSX have been nice but not NICE

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
To be honest I was only ever overwhelmed when Panther (10.3) came out. It made Mac OSX so much more stable and faster..

All the other versions of Mac OSX have been nice but not NICE

Ditto! The odd UI tweak here and there doesn't really do it for me.

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
I personally am of the belief that Mac OS as is doesn't need much improvement....anything "Truly Revolutionary" will definitely bring forth too many uninvited problems just ask Windows Vista.

I believe the Revolutionary part was taken out of context and it refered more to the way we interact with the computer and breaking away from the regular point...click...open...close...hit save...tab between apps etc. I really do believe that the interaction of the Gestures and Full Screen Apps with the OS really hits it dead on and everything seems quite fluid and cool.

I do believe that the mistake that was definitely made was the build up of excitement...they introduced us to Lion almost a year and a half prior to its launch and that gave us time to analyze and over analyze to the point where we were expecting more than promised.

I for one do believe they hinted some these things with SL but this one actually seems to respond way better.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hold Command-Option-Control and then press 8.

That ought to give Lion a different feel.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
For me:

- Recognition that a lot of people use dual monitors or more...Lion is a step backwards for this as it really does mess up dual screens (fullscreen mode, quicktime, etc).

- The UI has needed an overhaul for a long time now. Simply recovering the blues and making buttons slightly more bland doesn't exactly help things.

- Adding silly features (Launchpad) that are as useful as Dashboard are holding back true developments.

Things I'd like to see:

- True revision control on documents. Not a time machine save of files, a true line for line revision control system.
- Window Snapping (ala Windows 7)
- More control (dock positions, :apple:bar repositioning, overall allowing for more customisation to the UI and layout)
- Better integration with online services for notifications. E.g you add your email, twitter, ftp, flickr, whatever accounts and can receive notifications and feeds directly to the desktop, built into the UI
- A complete rewrite of iTunes to address its inherent inability to shuffle songs correctly as well as its pathetic integration of iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing which results in lag and general poor performance regardless of which Mac its running on
- Complete removal of Carbon to force a consistent UI across the OS
- More system API's opened up to allow for things such as TRIM support on non-Apple SSD drives, Blueray drivers, etc

Amen, couldnt have said it better myself.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I get that, and I read that list before making my decision to purchase. I was just asking the question, do you feel this is the revolutionary, innovative new OS as it was hyped? Maybe I'm missing something. Which of the features listed in the link you sent are you enjoying the most?

I guess I did not see it hyped as that. Marketing people will do what they need to do to sell an item. An OS is no different. Did you expect a time machine? A cure for cancer? They posted the features and delivered on it. It is just an OS. I'm enjoying most, but I like Filevault2 and versions the best. The next one will be even better just wait :D

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
However, after installing it, I think it feels like Snow Leopard with a few cool features added. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Lion, and I'm not talking about reverting back to SL, but I want it to be a bigger upgrade than how I'm currently feeling.

Everyone's excited about Launchpad and Mission control. To me, Launchpad seems no different than clicking the Applications icon in my task bar (except Launchpad shows all the Adobe Uninstall icons, and I can't delete them). And Mission Control merely shows you what you have opened at once. What's the big deal? I've read about the 250 other features, and some are nice, but this doesn't feel like the "very different" "big leap" that it's being hyped.

I feel exactly like you.
So yeah... Exposé and Spaces are combined now. It's looks nice.
But overall, Lion doesn't feel much different than Snow Leopard.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010

And that's fine. I'm totally fine with paying $30 for a progressive improvement. I would much rather have Lion with it's new features than SL. I was just hoping I was missing something cool (haven't tried AirDrop yet, don't know what Expose or Spaces is) that was keeping me from seeing what everyone else is hyping as revolutionary.

I'm a recent Windows convert, got the 2011 MBP the day it was released. XP to Vista/7 was a revolutionary change. And going from Windows to Mac OS X was a revolutionary change.

Look, I'm happy with Lion, as an incremental upgrade to OS X, 10.68 to 10.7. I was just seeing if there was something I was missing, to justify the hype of it being as big as Windows XP to Windows 7.

ASATD

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Personally, I'm fairly happy with Lion so far, even though I can see how the changes to Expose and Spaces could seriously mess up some people's workflow.

Reading over the features list, it seems to me that many of the much-hyped "250+ new features" will only become useful over time, as more third party applications support them and people start discovering the significance of (what now seem like) minor additions.

I am a little concerned that Apple may be too focused on catering to less computer-savvy users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.