Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmanuel08

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
It's definitely not revolutionary, but it's very, very nice. I'm glad they finally put, "Why would you want full-screen apps?" to bed. I want it because I want it. I don't think a 13-inch word processing document is too much to ask.

"Natural" scrolling doesn't make sense to me. It's no more or less intuitive than normal scrolling, and while the effort was pretty minimal for me, it's baffling why they'd want us to relearn it. (Yes, I am aware it can be turned off, but having it on by default, even, is strange).

I don't get Mission Control either, but when I've got a couple of full-screen apps open, Launchpad is pretty cool.

Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong Windows user who bought a 2011 MBP the day they were released. I use both OSX and Windows 7 on a daily basis now.

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
I personally loved using Expose as well as HOT Corners ever since i got my first MAC (most people i know don't even use those features) so to me Mission Control is quite easy to use and understand and adds spaces in there.

I never really used spaces until about a month and a half ago while waiting for Lion but never found it that useful until the Fullscreen Apps came into play so i am excited about that too. Now i can always have those apps that I open every day (Itunes and Safari mostly) on a separate fullscreen space and keep my desktop clear just for any apps that i may open or close at times.

Trotskiii

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
This has to be the most underwhelming update I have ever installed (and I go back as far as System 6)

I really cant believe I lost Freehand and Quicken for this pile of cr*p!

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
It has some nice things, some really irritating things and certainly isn't "magical" - but in the long run you don't have much choice but to upgrade. Unless you are willing to freeze time and live with your current computer and programs, that is.

DaftMonk

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
United Kingdom
I like it overall, but I can't stand the sluggish gestures, especially for something as simple as scrolling. I might just revert to Snow Leopard for now.

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I really, really like Lion. After using it for only a few hours, my 10.6 machine felt obsolete, so I decided to upgrade it, too, and lose a few little plug-ins that haven't been updated yet. To me, this feels like a completely different computing experience. The exceptions are apps that haven't been updated yet (Microsoft Office 2011, I'm looking at you) to take advantage of Lion's new features. The gestures really are a big plus, especially the way they are implemented with Mission Control. Also, apps like Mail and iCal are vastly improved over SL. I feel like Lion is a major step forward in OS development, and as devs take advantage of Lion's new capabilities, that will become more apparent to everyone. And I love the built-in spell check and autocorrect! It made this post so much easier!

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
I love it except for the multi touch, I used to like the 4 fingers up for desktop, and 4 down to expose.

I can not get to grips with the thumb and three fingers, I have big hands and its not working for me :(

Any suggestions.

John Mang

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Actually this is a update that's quite different from others. It's not really an up in your face sorta update with so many features that are meant to overwhelm you. But rather something slowly grows on you. I mean features like Versions and Full Screen Apps won't immediately strike. You'll find the use when you need it.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

The way I feel with apple and osx is their approach is why fix what's not broken? Yes I know, there are quite some things that just don't need to be there. But the OS as a whole, in my opinion, hasn't really needed any major improvements. I just feel like they keep dressing it up more and more. However, I am quite satisfied with lion. Especially since it was only $30

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.