PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use "Click to Flash"?

62tele
Jul 23, 2011, 06:38 AM
Is a suitable alternative to installing Flash on my MBA?

How does Click to Flash work?

glen e
Jul 23, 2011, 06:42 AM

Google it...yes...install flash....just puts a play button over the flash content...works very well.....

Ubuntu
Jul 23, 2011, 06:43 AM

It simply disables the flash component until you click it. It just gives you the choice which is a lot nicer on the MBA as Flash is known to kill the battery. You'd still have Flash on your MBA, its just a lot more controlled because flash content won't load automatically, which is the way it should be imo!

CapnJackGig
Jul 23, 2011, 06:48 AM
I found it unnecessary. I just use adblock, which disables all Flash ads. If I do see Flash content, it's because I purposely went looking for it.

62tele
Jul 23, 2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks for responses.

I'm going to try it.

Do I understand correctly that it plays content in Quicktime?

treynolds
Jul 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for responses.

I'm going to try it.

No, it plays Flash content normally; you just have to click on the Flash icon to get it to play. Very slick and absolutely essential IMO on an MBA.

Tony

Apple OC
Jul 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for responses.

I'm going to try it.

Click To Flash is awesome ... I highly recommend it

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
I do on old powermacs...

jfcmc
Aug 9, 2011, 01:21 PM
I do on old powermacs...

Is your clicktoflash still working on youtube (playing quicktime)?

Mine stopped on my ibook g4, and I can't seem to even find a working forum to post the issue on the old CTF site.

Lighthouse says CTF cancelled their support site.

Sinnthetic
Aug 9, 2011, 03:41 PM
I use it and Adblock and browsing the internet is bliss.

MisterPark
Aug 9, 2011, 03:54 PM
Yessir! And it makes surfing the internet way more enjoyable and it's saving battery life. Win/Win !

The Catalyst
Aug 9, 2011, 03:57 PM
+1, Another vote for AdBlock.

happyslayer
Aug 9, 2011, 03:58 PM
To install click2flash in Lion, you must go into Safari, goto Preferences, goto Extensions, goto Get Extensions (button) and download it there. I could not get it to work downloading it from the Internet. (That's for Snow Leopard I think)

And yes, I use it and swear by it and recommend it to all my friends and customers with Macs.

I easily get at least 30 min more battery time - although I use the Internet a lot.

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 9, 2011, 10:56 PM
I wanted to use C2F, but on the website there's a disclaimer at the top >>

Note: Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash.
Try out Marc Hoyois’ ClickToPlugin Safari Extension.

So...I've been using ClickToPlugin and I have to say I'm very impressed. The preference menu is a bit complicated, but you'll figure it out in a couple of days.

Don't know if you do much YouTube surfing, but if you do you should "opt in" to the html5 trial >>> http://www.youtube.com/html5. Doing so will let you view videos which are available in html5 format, and if not will revert to the normal Flash player. However, remember that if you enable ClickToPlugin on YouTube, your browser will attempt to use an html5 player for "all" videos.

I actually disabled ClickToPlugin on YouTube since I opted into the html5 trial. Specifically because some of the videos I enjoy watching just load faster using the Flash player. I don't feel the need to block all Flash content on YouTube.

As for the rest of the web, yes ClickToPlugin all the way!

Surely
Aug 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
I wanted to use C2F, but on the website there's a disclaimer at the top >>

Note: Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash.
Try out Marc Hoyois’ ClickToPlugin Safari Extension.

So...I've been using ClickToPlugin and I have to say I'm very impressed. The preference menu is a bit complicated, but you'll figure it out in a couple of days.

Don't know if you do much YouTube surfing, but if you do you should "opt in" to the html5 trial >>> http://www.youtube.com/html5. Doing so will let you view videos which are available in html5 format, and if not will revert to the normal Flash player. However, remember that if you enable ClickToPlugin on YouTube, your browser will attempt to use an html5 player for "all" videos.

I actually disabled ClickToPlugin on YouTube since I opted into the html5 trial. Specifically because some of the videos I enjoy watching just load faster using the Flash player. I don't feel the need to block all Flash content on YouTube.

As for the rest of the web, yes ClickToPlugin all the way!

There's still a stand-alone ClickToFlash extension......you can find it here along with the ClickToPlugin extension: http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

scarred
Aug 13, 2011, 12:30 PM
So far, I've been quite happy using Safari without Flash installed. I have youtube setup to use html5 (youtube.com/html5), which covers a lot.

I also installed google Chrome, which has a flash player built in. If there is ever a place I want to go that requires flash, I just fire up chrome real quick.

askrib
Aug 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
Can you install "click to flash" on the Chrome web browser? If so....how ?

Thanks!

chiamac
Aug 13, 2011, 01:14 PM
I don't have Flash installed.

I use Google Chrome (has Flash built into the browser, keeps my OS clean of Flash) with the "Click to Play" option enabled, it functions just like Click2Flash and disables other plugins besides Flash, I love it:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3971/googlechromeclickplugin.png

AppleTech22
Aug 13, 2011, 02:51 PM
I have it on the pro and everything is just a little bit quicker

2IS
Aug 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
I love Click to Flash. It's not so much that the ads bother me, but my battery life is greatly improved without all the useless flash content wasting resources.

askrib
Aug 13, 2011, 04:09 PM

I use Google Chrome (has Flash built into the browser, keeps my OS clean of Flash) with the "Click to Play" option enabled, it functions just like Click2Flash and disables other plugins besides Flash, I love it:

Image (http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3971/googlechromeclickplugin.png)

Thank you!

But for the people that dont know how to get to that page to do so.....was me (had to google it). Type in "about:flags" in URL. Then scroll down to "click to play". Works great!

Thanks again.

rbrian
Aug 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
I used to use it, but I read somewhere that even with Click2Flash installed, the website registers you using Flash, which doesn't incentivise them to change. Instead, I uninstalled Flash, and just use Chrome for those sites that require it.

Asmod4n
Aug 13, 2011, 05:52 PM
Use Click to Plugin (http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/), Click to Flash is outdated. I'm using Chrome as my Flash Browser, not really useful for anything else.

AppleTech22
Aug 13, 2011, 06:01 PM
Use Click to Plugin (http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/), Click to Flash is outdated. I'm using Chrome as my Flash Browser, not really useful for anything else.

Outdated?

Surely
Aug 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
Outdated?

Well:

Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash.

That's why you have to use one of the new extensions that I discussed in my post above.

steve dave
Aug 13, 2011, 08:19 PM
Well:

Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash.

That's why you have to use one of the new extensions that I discussed in my post above.

The Click to Flash extension on the Apple page works just fine with 5.1.

Surely
Aug 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
The Click to Flash extension on the Apple page works just fine with 5.1.

Yes, I know that.

I was referring to this: http://clicktoflash.com/

It is the old ClickToFlash, which was a plugin, which doesn't work anymore. Hence: Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash.

Another developer created the ClickToPlugin and the new ClickToFlash extensions, which work just fine. Found here: http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

maclook
Aug 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
I have yet to install Click2Flash on my new MBA. I used to love it, but then some youtube clips wouldn't load and Vimeo never worked so it just became a nuisance.

Has anyone else encountered these issues? I may give the new version a try to see if it works better.

Asmod4n
Aug 14, 2011, 04:27 AM
Outdated?

Click to Plugin deals with all Plugins, Click to Flash only deals with Flash. So if you care about Battery life you should get Click to Plugin :) It's from the same Author too.

adnoh
Aug 14, 2011, 04:35 AM
i use it and adblock and browsing the internet is bliss.

+1

PetteriM
Sep 2, 2011, 02:27 PM

Depends. Most services work ok with it. I use online video rental that doesn't unfortunately.
I wholeheartedly support apple in getting rid of flash. Just had to kill the flash. It was eating 139% of i7 multicore processor. I could do freaking video editing or 3D rendering and it wouldn't eat so much cpu time. I can see battery going doing...
on the other hand macrumors.com and other sites could ban flash banners. let's force ads to use less cpu time!!!!

You have to install flash. It just isn't loaded by default. If there's flash content, it will display grey area. When you click it, flash loads by your command.

-P-

Sniv
Sep 3, 2011, 08:47 AM
Thank you!

But for the people that dont know how to get to that page to do so.....was me (had to google it). Type in "about:flags" in URL. Then scroll down to "click to play". Works great!

Thanks again.

Thank you. I didn't know how to get to that screen either. So thanks to both of you.

summitRun
Sep 4, 2011, 07:29 PM

Image (http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3971/googlechromeclickplugin.png)

I was extremely excited to try this but flash is still loading after I enabled it. Did a restart as well...:mad: Any thoughts? This is definitely my preferred setup!

summitRun
Sep 4, 2011, 07:44 PM
I was extremely excited to try this but flash is still loading after I enabled it. Did a restart as well...:mad: Any thoughts? This is definitely my preferred setup!

Nevermind...there was another setting that I missed in preferences. THIS IS AWESOME! For those who don't want to install Flash on their system this is the boogie. And if you have any doubts just run a flash video for 5 minutes and watch what happens to your CPU temp and fans. I'm a believer...FLASH SUX:eek:

Brandon0448
Sep 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
Well:

ClicktoFlash and ClicktoPlugin are essentially the same program. ClicktoFlash is just smaller and only deals with flash while ClicktoPlugin deals with all plugins. I am using Click to Flash in Safari 5.1 and it works perfectly, no idea what your talking about.

CorvetteZR1
Sep 4, 2011, 11:17 PM
I use it. It's awesome. Makes Safari work way better!

Jordan9
Sep 4, 2011, 11:30 PM
I just started using it today. And it coupled with AdBlock really makes Safari a lot better.

mixman
Sep 5, 2011, 04:01 PM
Chrome
about:plugins
disable Flash.

Enjoy longer battery life.

elliotn
Sep 5, 2011, 05:47 PM
I've been using ClickToFlash and AdBlock for the last couple of days. I've seen a significant improvement in the battery life on my 13" MBA (though Apple's 7 hours still seems optimistic). On the downside, various things are now broken. Google's Streetview, for example, no longer works. How can I quickly toggle these extension on and off?

treynolds
Sep 5, 2011, 11:07 PM
Click to Flash works great. Awesome. We have it installed on both our Airs. Wonderful increase in battery life.