PDA

View Full Version : Why does the YouTube app for iOS suck so much?

miamialley
Jul 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
Why does the YouTube app for iOS suck so much? Videos take forever to load or else they often just stop loading at random points. Same thing for my iPhone and iPad with the YouTube app. I'm able to download other large files very quickly, except when it comes to YouTube.

srxtr
Jul 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
Are you running it on 3G? Mine works fine but I'm always connected to fast Wifi

S.Jobs
Jul 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
mine works fine too, i only have wifi so maybe that is it

TheSuperSteve
Jul 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
Mine works just fine but i use WiFi. :confused:

Yumunum
Jul 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
The YouTube app does suck. No matter what connection you're on. Some people may not experience issues though, but a lot of people do. I swear Google is trying to make it suck, giving Android an edge ;O lol. Seriously though, the Android app never gave me problems like this.

LanEvo
Jul 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
The YouTube app does suck. No matter what connection you're on. Some people may not experience issues though, but a lot of people do. I swear Google is trying to make it suck, giving Android an edge ;O lol. Seriously though, the Android app never gave me problems like this.

Mine works just fine as well.

wesrk
Jul 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
How can you sort videos by upload date?

miamialley
Jul 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
I'm glad not everyone has issues, but I've read about many people having the same experiences as me. Sometimes 60 second videos take minutes to load. Sometimes videos load and then completely stop altogether.

MacRy
Jul 23, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have the same issues with mine too. They really need to sort it out. I recently bought a new router and had new ADSL sockets and wiring put in my house and hoped that it would help but it still takes an age to load HD videos (with a 5Mb connection) and they still randomly stop loading for no reason.

whocaresit
Jul 23, 2011, 02:25 PM
What is it sucking? :eek:

erayser
Jul 23, 2011, 02:36 PM
My wife and I usually watch a Netflix movie on my wifi iPad by the San Diego bay in Coronado on date nights, but for some reason, we were watching silly song cover vids on the YouTube app and couldn't stop laughing some of the youtubers. The videos loaded fast, and was very clear on my wifi iPad. The location also has very good Verizon 4G LTE signal, so I think it has to do with the internet connection. There was one YouTube HD video that I was trying to watch in the car, on the way to Coronado, on a 3G signal... and the YouTube video stalled badly... and wouldn't load. When we got to the Bay, the same YouTube video played with no stalls and was very clear on 4G LTE. I can't be certain if it's iOS, but video's seem to be fine if my internet connection fast.

Cooolpenner
Jul 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
The YouTube app just sucks! Can't watch a video without problems. If I watch it on my computer or on Safari it'll work fine, no laggin', no loading times...

Danoc
Jul 23, 2011, 02:55 PM

I think the YouTube app is developed by Apple. Like the map application.

Samppaa
Jul 23, 2011, 03:46 PM
No problems here, I use it almost every night.

ctbear
Jul 23, 2011, 03:53 PM

This. Although I don't have problems on my iPad, the iPhone version does suck.

88 King
Jul 23, 2011, 03:53 PM

Not sure who developed the YouTube app, but the Map is licensed from Google not developed by Apple.
Check out the Terms of Use, the copyright belongs to Google.

My ipad 2 YouTube app works fine on both WIFI and 3G.

62tele
Jul 23, 2011, 03:58 PM
I have no YouTube problems on WiFi (iPad) or 3G (iP4).

miamialley
Jul 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
My wife and I usually watch a Netflix movie on my wifi iPad by the San Diego bay in Coronado on date nights, but for some reason, we were watching silly song cover vids on the YouTube app and couldn't stop laughing some of the youtubers. The videos loaded fast, and was very clear on my wifi iPad. The location also has very good Verizon 4G LTE signal, so I think it has to do with the internet connection. There was one YouTube HD video that I was trying to watch in the car, on the way to Coronado, on a 3G signal... and the YouTube video stalled badly... and wouldn't load. When we got to the Bay, the same YouTube video played with no stalls and was very clear on 4G LTE. I can't be certain if it's iOS, but video's seem to be fine if my internet connection fast.

My internet connection is 20mbs. I can stream Netflix on my iPad without any lag, but a You Tube video that is 30 seconds long needs to pause twice for loading...and that's IF it loads. By the way, I'm only referring to watching video via my WIFI at home, not talking about 3G.

Blakjack
Jul 23, 2011, 05:08 PM
It's your wifi or u running on 3G. My loads super fast. No problems here

sponginraider
Jul 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
The app works well for me over wifi.

erayser
Jul 23, 2011, 05:27 PM
My internet connection is 20mbs. I can stream Netflix on my iPad without any lag, but a You Tube video that is 30 seconds long needs to pause twice for loading...and that's IF it loads. By the way, I'm only referring to watching video via my WIFI at home, not talking about 3G.

Sorry to hear that. I have no issues on home wifi either.

sineplex
Jul 23, 2011, 10:23 PM
Upgrade your router to wireless N and change the settings to accommodate wifi media streaming. Yes it works without the optimization, but all the complaints you have with YouTube should be solved.

Jagardn
Jul 23, 2011, 10:37 PM
Mine is fine.

xraydoc
Jul 24, 2011, 12:06 AM
A solution that seems to work for many is to use Google's DNS servers on your iPad instead of your ISP's. Doing so has significantly increased YouTube's performance on my iOS devices as well as on my Mac.

Perhaps my ISP just sucks (Verizon FiOS), but it's damn fast for everything else.

I know there are some downsides (i.e., Google potentially can track every URL you enter), but they do have speedy servers.

Google's DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

miamialley
Jul 24, 2011, 01:52 AM
Upgrade your router to wireless N and change the settings to accommodate wifi media streaming. Yes it works without the optimization, but all the complaints you have with YouTube should be solved.

Already have a wireless N that I bought a few months ago. Did you see my wireless speed I posted?

djrod
Jul 24, 2011, 03:14 AM
Maybe is the router configuration, in my place I have zero problems watching YouTube but at my girlfriend's place I am lucky if I can watch 10 seconds with no buffering, the problem only happens with my iPad, if I use her computer everything loads fine

techkidd4400
Jul 24, 2011, 06:40 AM
The YouTube app just sucks! Can't watch a video without problems. If I watch it on my computer or on Safari it'll work fine, no laggin', no loading times...

Yup. I have had the same result. The youtube video runs fine on my laptop, but runs slow on my ipD or abruptly stops running all together. I have assumed it was the crappy app Apple is using since my iphone app does the same thing.

The Game 161
Jul 24, 2011, 07:12 AM
Mine works great

4DThinker
Jul 24, 2011, 08:41 AM
All data connections are not created equal. Youtube is data. Even if you have fast WiFi in your house, you may not have a fast internet connection. You may have a fast internet connection, but be sharing it with several users/devices at the same time. I've got a reasonable connection, but if my PC is downloading updates I can kiss a quick YouTube stream goodbye. This explains why some people don't complain and some do, even though they all have essentially the same iPad.

OlgaJ
Jul 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
Clearing my Safari cache always helps YouTube videos.

funkdoctor
Jul 24, 2011, 11:39 AM
Not sure who developed the YouTube app, but the Map is licensed from Google not developed by Apple.

I'm almost positive that I read a while back that Apple developed the Google Maps app. I don't believe it was advertised as such, but there was a story about this a while back. And yes, I am aware that the copyright belongs to Google.

funkdoctor
Jul 24, 2011, 11:42 AM

I'm almost positive that I read a while back that Apple developed the Google Maps app. I don't believe it was advertised as such, but there was a story about this a while back. And yes, I am aware that the copyright belongs to Google. Also, Steve Jobs did use the term "Apple designed" when speaking of the maps application.

miamialley
Jul 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
All data connections are not created equal. Youtube is data. Even if you have fast WiFi in your house, you may not have a fast internet connection. You may have a fast internet connection, but be sharing it with several users/devices at the same time. I've got a reasonable connection, but if my PC is downloading updates I can kiss a quick YouTube stream goodbye. This explains why some people don't complain and some do, even though they all have essentially the same iPad.

There are only two people in my household. I have these issues when no other devices are being used. Out laptops are typically in sleep mode anyway...acting like paperweights.

MacRy
Jul 24, 2011, 01:33 PM
There are only two people in my household. I have these issues when no other devices are being used. Out laptops are typically in sleep mode anyway...acting like paperweights.

Same here. Plus I can access YouTube fine on my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, my AppleTV, my MacBook and my iMac all without issue so it would certainly suggest that the iPad app is at fault.

RossMc
Jul 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
I have never had a problem with it, I just wish the app would remove videos from your New Videos list when you have watched them like it does on the website.

Daiden
Jul 24, 2011, 01:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Never had any issues with the YouTube app.

AppleTech22
Jul 24, 2011, 07:48 PM
Ya bro, it's gonna be slower because you're not using flash. That doesn't mean that flash is better, it absolutely hates batteries. There shouldn't be that much of a difference though, maybe it's your internet? Mine was like that before I changed some airport settings

miamialley
Jul 24, 2011, 08:14 PM

Already have a wireless N that I bought a few months ago. Did you see my wireless speed I posted?

Ya bro, it's gonna be slower because you're not using flash. That doesn't mean that flash is better, it absolutely hates batteries. There shouldn't be that much of a difference though, maybe it's your internet? Mine was like that before I changed some airport settings

See my two posts above.

What settings did you change? Did you have problems with YouTube or internet speed in general?

Bloodraw850
Jul 24, 2011, 08:55 PM
I haven't noticed any problems with YouTube on my iPhone are iPad :confused: I actually prefer watching YouTube on my iPad then laptop so I don't have to deal with adds :D

erayser
Jul 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
See my two posts above.

What settings did you change? Did you have problems with YouTube or internet speed in general?

I didn't change any settings on my wireless router... besides setting up WPA code. Maybe it's the combination of the internet provider, modem and wireless router. If it helps... I'm using Cox Premium cable internet, Motorola SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 High-Speed Cable Modem, and NETGEAR Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. Maybe others, that don't have the issue, can post what they have.

student_trap
Jul 29, 2011, 04:33 AM
Mine works fine, and is much better than the youtube app on my nexus one, now that is utter rubbish

ravenvii
Jul 31, 2011, 04:57 PM
IMO, I don't see why Apple insists on keeping the YouTube app among their default apps. They should just drop it and let Google handle it (either via an app of their own, or via a webapp).

BruiserBear
Aug 1, 2011, 11:16 AM
I think the built in youtube app has always had these weird issues with wifi only. Not sure why the hell they've never fixed it.

However, youtube has a great mobile app if you just go to youtube.com on the browser. Once I learned about it, and made it a button on my phone, I've never gone back to the original app.

Ironically, the built in youtube app on the iPad is awesome. Never gives me a problem. It's just the built in app on the phone for some reason.

rhett7660
Aug 1, 2011, 01:00 PM
Those speeds you posted are those the wifi speeds you are getting on your iPad via wifi or are those via your hard wired nic connection?

If it is the hard wired, what are your wifi speeds? What type of wifi are you connecting on ie 2.4 or 5? Are there more then one computer or device accessing the wifi signal?

wargasm
Aug 3, 2011, 11:52 PM
I have an ipad1 and ipad2

The ipad1 doesn't ever play YouTube good. Always buffers etc

The ipad2 works fine...

Ipad1 went to my parents hopefully they don't get into YouTube...

Macman45
Aug 4, 2011, 12:25 AM
In fact any network is the quality of your Wifi router. The ones supplied by ISP's have lot's of funky flashing lights, and gimmicks, but they are all (at least I've never had a good one) Rubbish!

The latest offering from VM here in the UK is called the 'Superhub" It has limited function, and a very poor internal aerial. When connected to a decent VM compatible wifi router, the change in speed and perfomance is dramatic to say the least.

The Draytek I use has 3 external aerials, a rock solid connection and the added bonus of 2 usb ports )I use one to connect my printer which is shared over the network.

I know these high quality routers are a little more expensive, but worth every penny to avoid that spinning circle and "Buffering" text message.

You also need a decent BB connection too of course, I run 50mb but 10 or 20 is adequate for most needs. I only have the highest speed for uploads.

Smileyboy
Aug 4, 2011, 12:56 AM
Works great on my jailbroken iPhone 4 with my 3G

omni
Aug 5, 2011, 11:35 PM
I can't believe no one has posted the reason yet.

Yes it does suck on iPad and the reason is because it defaults to showing vids in their highest quality.

They look great but streaming 720p on YouTube is still hit or miss IMO

miamialley
Aug 25, 2011, 06:16 AM
Those speeds you posted are those the wifi speeds you are getting on your iPad via wifi or are those via your hard wired nic connection?

If it is the hard wired, what are your wifi speeds? What type of wifi are you connecting on ie 2.4 or 5? Are there more then one computer or device accessing the wifi signal?

Those speeds are from my iPad on 2.4. I get that speed even when other devices are on the network.

Buildbright
Aug 28, 2011, 01:50 PM
Mine works great but I have seen this happen before to someone else's iPad. It was the router.

err404
Aug 30, 2011, 04:19 PM
I use the mobile Youtube website. It allows for high quality videos, even over 3g and just seems to run better in general.

Love
Aug 30, 2011, 07:05 PM
I'm glad not everyone has issues, but I've read about many people having the same experiences as me. Sometimes 60 second videos take minutes to load. Sometimes videos load and then completely stop altogether.

I've several issues with it - namely, what you're describing. Sometimes, videos just refuse to load past around the halfway mark, regardless of my connection. It's quite frustrating - I often go for the laptop when the YT app doesn't work, and whilst I'm bringing it to where I was using the iOS device, the video seems to load fine. Frustratingly bizarre.

Your signature makes me laugh.

APlotdevice
Sep 6, 2011, 04:15 AM
I've had videos just suddenly stop loading on everything I've used. Including my desktop browser. At least part of the problem seems to be on Youtube's end.

WooHooBar
Aug 16, 2013, 04:34 PM
PEOPLE!! Listeeeeennnn toooo meeeee. I am from the fuuuuuuutuuuuure. You have nooooothingggg to complain abouuuuut.:(

tgi
Aug 16, 2013, 05:00 PM
PEOPLE!! Listeeeeennnn toooo meeeee. I am from the fuuuuuuutuuuuure. You have nooooothingggg to complain abouuuuut.:(

Epic first post.

lmireles29
Apr 9, 2014, 12:02 PM
They must have updated it so many times but it stil SUCKS UHC ass :mad: .
when I first load the app, the first video works PERFECTLY. The second video then makes me want to kill myself #laggggggg. Then, my FULLY UPDATED ipad disconnects from the internet. Granted, I have an 11mbps download speed, but are you serious YouTube, it should be called PooTube. Moral of the story, go Virgin Media - more power, more power, more fire. Don't get BT 'infinity' or 'unlimited' because it is ****.