PDA

View Full Version : External display for new MBA

ApplePu
Jul 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'm currently looking for a 24" display for my new MBA.

The new thunderbolt display is really tempting, but the price is just too high and I need it soon.

So I'm looking for a display which fits my MBA nicely optically. Something that is slim and "airy" as well :D

Can anybody suggest a model that fits well? Thanx!

Eggtastic
Jul 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
im in the same boat. i am looking into the dell ultrasharp displays. they are not "thin and airy" but to me, they are sleek and edgy. check out the dell website to see what i mean.

ive seen quite a few in peoples photos of their mac setup under the photo forum section. the monitor can also adjust to be swiveled to a portrait view, it also is great picture quality, and the 23" i am looking into is under 300.

ApplePu
Jul 24, 2011, 11:07 AM
well such a dell is not exactly what I'm looking for.....

I'm thinking about an old 23" cinema hd display (the aluminium one) which would not be slim but would fit the style of the macbook air.

would that still be a nice display if I find a good one? what are the downsizes of the older cables that are going with it?

mkelly
Jul 24, 2011, 11:11 AM
The online Apple Store occasionally features refurbished 24" Cinema Displays. Not as cheap as a 3rd party alternative display, but still a very nice monitor & works well with the MBA.

You have to check the refurb pages pretty regularly in order to catch them though - they go *very* quickly.

Some people shy away from refurbs, but Apple offers a full warranty on them and I've had good experiences with the refurbed products I've purchased.

mscofield
Jul 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have a dell myself, but i thought hp has some that could match in an optical way.

hutchingsp
Jul 24, 2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think there is anything other than Apple displays that look in keeping with the Air/Alu Macbooks.

I'm in a similar predicament except that I don't intend paying for an Apple display, they are just too much for me to justify.

FWIW aesthetics aside, the Dell Ultrasharp displays are very nice. I have one at work which I went to after using a larger Dell Professional display, and the difference is night and day.

As it stands, I'm very tempted by a 22" or 23" Eizo, but I'd be interested to hear of anything cheaper that is of similar quality.

Samsumac
Jul 24, 2011, 01:25 PM
I do wonder whther there will be new 24 monitors carrying the thunderbolt port at a decent price range...

CLWelch
Jul 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
I do wonder whther there will be new 24 monitors carrying the thunderbolt port at a decent price range...
No.

Muncher
Jul 24, 2011, 01:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APX515CKT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I just bought a samsung 2333t for my mba. Pretty cheap for a pva screen and very high contrast for movies. Of course, I'm not doing any color accurate stuff

astrofaes
Jul 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
I've been eyeing up external screens too. I'm not too bothered about a thunderbolt monitor and I want to try and keep my spend to around 200 or under.

This is the one I'm looking at, the LG-E2260V. It looks pretty stylish and it is extremely svelte to match the MBA :D Plus, it's only 130.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2260V-PN-LED-22-inch-Monitor/dp/B0042D5DG2

Has anyone else looked at this monitor or have any input on whether this would be a good purchase or not?

ApplePu
Jul 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
I've been eyeing up external screens too. I'm not too bothered about a thunderbolt monitor and I want to try and keep my spend to around 200 or under.

This is the one I'm looking at, the LG-E2260V. It looks pretty stylish and it is extremely svelte to match the MBA :D Plus, it's only 130.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2260V-PN-LED-22-inch-Monitor/dp/B0042D5DG2

Has anyone else looked at this monitor or have any input on whether this would be a good purchase or not?

I was looking at that one a few minutes ago as well :D

I kind of fell in love with its bigger brother, the E2290V

http://www.lg.com/ch_de/it-produkte/monitore/LG-led-monitor-E2290V.jsp

I guess thinner is almost impossible :eek: it's a bit pricey though....

jameskk
Jul 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
I'm thinking about giving my wife my 2010 MBA and getting the new one. Will my apple display with display port adapter plug into the new thunderbolt port?

ApplePu
Jul 24, 2011, 02:55 PM
Could somebody answer a question for me:

If I buy a display without internal speakers and I hook it up to my mba with a mini-displayport to hdmi adapter and then via hdmi to the display, will the sound be forwarded to the display so I can plug some speakers to the displays headphone port?

ApplePu
Jul 26, 2011, 04:00 AM
After browsing through different stores I decided to get the

Acer S243HL

I've got a pretty good deal and I like it because it's slim and colored in black/silver. And it has some speakers integrated which is difficult to find in slim monitors.....

probably it's not the best display out there and generally I hate Acer but I like this one because it fits very nicely to my MBA.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

bursthead
Jul 26, 2011, 04:11 AM
Has anyone been able to get the display port to hdmi adapter to work? I have an intermittent signal, I will get the screen for a short period then I get a black screen.

But the display to dvi & vga works perfectly...

Titanium81
Jul 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
What has better image quality:

Dell UltraSharp

Or

New 27" Thunderbolt ACD

Neil McRae
Jul 26, 2011, 12:51 PM
What has better image quality:

Dell UltraSharp

Or

New 27" Thunderbolt ACD

If it's the dell 27 then probably not a lot in it as they are the same panel (at least the cinema one was)

caligomez
Jul 26, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking about giving my wife my 2010 MBA and getting the new one. Will my apple display with display port adapter plug into the new thunderbolt port?

Same here! I need to know if there may be problems with a Mini Display macbook (air or pro) and the new thunderbolt Cinema Display.. Are they compatible, or is that display only for thunderbolt machines?

Neil McRae
Jul 26, 2011, 04:11 PM
Same here! I need to know if there may be problems with a Mini Display macbook (air or pro) and the new thunderbolt Cinema Display.. Are they compatible, or is that display only for thunderbolt machines?

I've used a mini display port to VGA on a thunderbolt MacBook pro ok so I would say yes. however get someone in an apple store to hook one up for the ultimate test.

starbomb
Jul 27, 2011, 08:11 PM
I have recently purchased a HP LA2405wg (see reference below) that is capable of 1920 x 1200. I wanted that extra resolution that a 1080 cannot provide. When I connect my MBA via VGA to the monitor there is about a 4 inch column on the left side of the screen that is unusable (this is using the 1920x1080 display setting). Its just black and the mouse will not move into this area. Its like the graphics card is unable to display that resolution.

I know that the display properties says 1920 x 1080 but my white macbook I bought about a year ago displays the full 1920x1080 just fine on this monitor. I am a little miffed. Any suggestions other than return the monitor?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884470-3955381.html

h00ligan
Jul 27, 2011, 10:47 PM
well such a dell is not exactly what I'm looking for.....

I'm thinking about an old 23" cinema hd display (the aluminium one) which would not be slim but would fit the style of the macbook air.

would that still be a nice display if I find a good one? what are the downsizes of the older cables that are going with it?

Why not, the dell ultrasharps as a monitor are superior to the apple displays. Why would you discount a brand that has proven to be good in a certain arena? The dell 27 was rated substantially higher than the apple.. fwiw. More cables, sure.. but better quality image

Apple Expert
Jul 27, 2011, 10:50 PM
Anyone know of a silver bezel monitor to match the MacBook Air?

ApplePu
Jul 28, 2011, 12:29 AM
Anyone know of a silver bezel monitor to match the MacBook Air?

I did exchange the acer i mentioned above for this beauty:

http://www.lg.com/de/it-produkte/tft-led-monitore/LG-E2381VR.jsp

It's not exactly silver but it has a grey metallic-brushed surface...extremely nice to look at and it gives my desk this "airy" feeling I was looking for :D

theSeb
Jul 28, 2011, 01:19 AM

My 24" ACD works perfectly with a 2011 MBA.

JoeMa
Jul 28, 2011, 10:14 AM
I purchased a new MBA last week and when I plugged in my sons 24" Cinema Display it worked but did not display at the native 1920 x 1200 but only displayed the native 1440 x 900 resoultion of the MBA.

So I called Apple and they said it should work but that the new Thunderbolt Display display at the native 2560 x 1600 resoltion.

He then pointed me to this spec sheet which confirms what he said: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP631

After you click the above link, scroll down to the section labeled Video Support and Camera where it states:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors.

Note that it does not say anything about it only supporting on the new Thunderbolt Display.

Back to my MBA, after a reboot the Cinema Display started at the native 1920 by 1200 resolution supported by the panel.

Catdog12349
Aug 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have recently purchased a HP LA2405wg (see reference below) that is capable of 1920 x 1200. I wanted that extra resolution that a 1080 cannot provide. When I connect my MBA via VGA to the monitor there is about a 4 inch column on the left side of the screen that is unusable (this is using the 1920x1080 display setting). Its just black and the mouse will not move into this area. Its like the graphics card is unable to display that resolution.

I know that the display properties says 1920 x 1080 but my white macbook I bought about a year ago displays the full 1920x1080 just fine on this monitor. I am a little miffed. Any suggestions other than return the monitor?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884470-3955381.html

Do you have the 11" or 13". Because i think that problem has to do with the aspect ratio, on the 11" its 16:9 and on the 13" 16:10.

MacLappy
Aug 1, 2011, 01:10 PM

One possible solution might be purchasing the mini display to dual link dvi converter from apple. Have been using this adapter to display out to my old Dell 3008wfp at 2560x1600 since unibody macbook days. Am using it with a 13" core i5 base macbook air now and prior to this with the 13" 1.86ghz core2duo base late 2010 model. The converter works well with both this notebook models. :D Don't think the resolution on the macbook air should affect the external display as they can be independently tuned, unless you got them in mirror mode. With that i would assume that this converter will work just as well with the 11" models too.

palebluedot
Aug 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
I just bought an HP 2511X and like it. It's insanely thin and is glossy with LED backlight so its pretty bright. So far the reflections haven't been a huge deal even though I thought they would be. It has DVI, HDMI, and VGA inputs and is about 250 on Amazon I think. TN panel of course.

oBMTo
Aug 1, 2011, 05:25 PM
Where are you guys getting adapters for the Thunderport?

blkonblk17
Aug 1, 2011, 05:33 PM
Where are you guys getting adapters for the Thunderport?

You can use the same ones as mini display port. They work as one in the same.

Here is one without the need for any adapters..

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4637ZM/A

starbomb
Aug 2, 2011, 01:04 AM
Do you have the 11" or 13". Because i think that problem has to do with the aspect ratio, on the 11" its 16:9 and on the 13" 16:10.

Thanks for the reply Catdog12349. I have a new 13" MBA.

starbomb
Aug 2, 2011, 01:16 AM
One possible solution might be purchasing the mini display to dual link dvi converter from apple. Have been using this adapter to display out to my old Dell 3008wfp at 2560x1600 since unibody macbook days. Am using it with a 13" core i5 base macbook air now and prior to this with the 13" 1.86ghz core2duo base late 2010 model. The converter works well with both this notebook models. :D Don't think the resolution on the macbook air should affect the external display as they can be independently tuned, unless you got them in mirror mode. With that i would assume that this converter will work just as well with the 11" models too.

Thanks MacLappy for the input. I am currently using a mini display port to VGA that worked in 1920x1200 on my 1yr old white unibody macbook. I will look into purchasing the adapter you are talking about.

Additionally, I just noticed on the back of my Monitor there is a Display Port. I have not found a mini display port to display port adapter but just curious is this would be a good path to try as well?

MacLappy
Aug 4, 2011, 05:51 AM
Thanks MacLappy for the input. I am currently using a mini display port to VGA that worked in 1920x1200 on my 1yr old white unibody macbook. I will look into purchasing the adapter you are talking about.

Additionally, I just noticed on the back of my Monitor there is a Display Port. I have not found a mini display port to display port adapter but just curious is this would be a good path to try as well?

Welcome Starbomb, there are a couple of 3rd party mini displayport to displayport adaptor that are available but so far there are mixed results, some reporting that it works perfectly and some claiming that it does not work at all. Not sure if the hdmi cable used has any effect as i am aware that even between hdmi cables there are different standards. In any case there should be a possible way for you to get your macbook air hooked up to a big screen at it's native resolution but it might require some "trial and error".

On a side note i just got a mini displayport to VGA adaptor that claims 1920x1200. It works fine with me projector but at a lower resolution of 1024x768 the max my projector will do.

MacLappy
Aug 4, 2011, 06:40 AM
Hi Starbomb,

Tested the mini displayport to VGA adaptor and while it says 1920x1200 i am only able to get it to output at a maximum of 1920x1080, the dell monitor i am working with does have a build in scaler so it works well and scales up the image to fill the full screen. Since your macbook was able to do this on the same monitor, meaning upscale a 1920x1080 to fill 1920x1200 of pixels i am guessing that there should really be no problem doing the same thing with your macbook air. The most likely problem in order of likelihood, assuming all the wires were connected properly and there was no interference from dust particles and such.

1. The cable connecting the adaptor to the monitor is having issue.
2. The adaptor is having issue.
3. The VGA connector on the Monitor is having issue.
4. The mini displayport on the macbook air is having issue.
5. The scaler on the monitor is having issue.
6. The older macbook that you had, upscaled the image to fit your monitor while the macbook air does not.

Would you mind trying out the VGA adaptor that you have at 1600x1000 it should help to ease the black strip away but with a slightly blurred image.

starbomb
Aug 5, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Starbomb,

Tested the mini displayport to VGA adaptor and while it says 1920x1200 i am only able to get it to output at a maximum of 1920x1080, the dell monitor i am working with does have a build in scaler so it works well and scales up the image to fill the full screen. Since your macbook was able to do this on the same monitor, meaning upscale a 1920x1080 to fill 1920x1200 of pixels i am guessing that there should really be no problem doing the same thing with your macbook air. The most likely problem in order or likelihood. Assuming all the wires were connected properly and there was no interference from dust particles and such.

1. The cable connecting the adaptor to the monitor is having issue.
2. The adaptor is having issue.
3. The VGA connector on the Monitor is having issue.
4. The mini displayport on the macbook air is having issue.
5. The scaler on the monitor is having issue.
6. The older macbook that you had, upscaled the image to fit your monitor while the macbook air does not.

Would you mind trying out the VGA adaptor that you have at 1600x1000 it should help to ease the black strip away but with a slightly blurred image.

So I received my new mini Display port to display port cable and I am rocking 1920 x 1200 on my external 24" monitor. It feels sooooo good to have the max resolution. The MDP to VGA was the issue for me.

Scott

MacLappy
Aug 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
Well done Starbomb, really happy it is working well for you. :D