PDA

View Full Version : How many first time Mac buyers?

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 12:33 PM
Ok, time for the unofficial poll of the day - how many first time Mac buyers lured to "the Dark Side" by the new MacBook Air? :D

Owning iPods or iPads doesn't count - did you own a Mac computer before you bought the new MacBook Air, or not?

ulfses
Jul 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
Me... but it will be running Windows. The hardware is amazing. :D

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
Me... but it will be running Windows. The hardware is amazing. :D

Yeah, Im running Windows in dual boot, but just gave it 20% of my disk. I can't quit cold turkey because of a couple of apps, but I intend to do my best to remove Windows within a year.

But Windows sure runs sweet on these new Airs!!! :cool:

turbotoes
Jul 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
I too am new to the dark side, but will also be bootcamping seven as well. I'm in pc repair and maintenance and now have a number of mac clients, so have been running a hackintosh for about 18 months but have finally decided to spring for the real deal. :)

Patriot24
Jul 24, 2011, 12:45 PM
After about a year of research, I finally made the switch this week. I purchased a 13" i5 unit.

It only took me about a day to get comfortable. I would consider myself fairly tech savvy, but I found many things to more intuitive than Windows 7. To be clear, I think Win7 is a pretty good operating system. I was just ready for something new and I wasn't disappointed.

I agree that the hardest part of the switch is finding applications to replace your old windows-only staples. I purchased Office and found a few others that I've come to like better than their windows counterparts.

The only one that is looming is Photoshop. I had CS3 installed on my Win7 machine. I have been looking at Elements 9 in the Mac App Store, but haven't decided if I want to jump or not yet (I'm not a heavy user by any means, so Elements may be just enough). I need to read a few more reviews. The price seems amazing, though.

Jaro65
Jul 24, 2011, 01:03 PM
The only one that is looming is Photoshop. I had CS3 installed on my Win7 machine. I have been looking at Elements 9 in the Mac App Store, but haven't decided if I want to jump or not yet (I'm not a heavy user by any means, so Elements may be just enough). I need to read a few more reviews. The price seems amazing, though.

Do not necessarily constrain yourself to PS, especially since as you stated you're not a heavy user. Check out some other alternatives available in Mac App Store, such as Pixelmator. You may just be surprised what's available...and at what price.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

PaulWog
Jul 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
First time. However I still have my desktop computer I built (for gaming and performance work).

I'm sticking with OS X Lion for my portable needs (for the Air), and Windows 7 on my desktop.

I feel as though both have their uses. I'm much more productive on Windows 7 though... it just is quicker for me based on the way it's laid out. Maybe over time things will change, but I don't know... will just have to see! :)

That said, I get the best of both worlds. If I ever decide I want to entirely switch to OS X Lion, then I can obviously do that. :) Right now I'm happy with both. I think the only reason I'd switch entirely, though, is if I were to give up on high performance gaming (high-end graphics cards and whatnot). I don't know if I want to do that quite yet :P Battlefield 3 is almost out!

p.s... I'm not quite liking the "Finder" application on the Mac. It doesn't seem to find anything lol. I wish it actually looked through everything on the computer so I could find what I need.

KillerTree
Jul 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
The new Macbook Air is indeed my first Mac :)
I do own an iPhone 4 though.

jpi
Jul 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm gonna order my new Macbook Air 13" in a couple days. It is going to be my first Mac computer and I am excited.
It better lives up to the promises made! :P

Xaron
Jul 24, 2011, 01:23 PM
Same here. My 13" i7 is my first Macbook Air and I'm quite impressed!

onthecouchagain
Jul 24, 2011, 01:23 PM
While the Air isn't my entry into Mac, this year overall is my first year ever purchasing a Mac computer. I bought the new iMac back in June, and now the new Air for school.

Obscurelight
Jul 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
Damn the iPods. iPods were the gateway drug to the dark side for me. Started innocently with an iPod mini, then the iPod Video. Next came the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, and now the MBA :mad: (

TheEmpty
Jul 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
Switching from Ubuntu. I'm suprised anyone here still wants to use Windows. It takes my quad core i7 a few minutes to boot into it, not to mention the time to login! Yet Ubuntu is as fast as a snap. Thank you Microsoft! Also today it decided that it's not geninue so it's not outputting sound, destroying my desktop, etc. :rolleyes:

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 01:43 PM
My MBA boots Windows 7 in less than 45 seconds... :cool:

Bloodraw850
Jul 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
First time Mac owner here :D

TheEmpty
Jul 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
My MBA boots Windows 7 in less than 45 seconds... :cool:
Damn SSDs! Yeah I can't wait to have an SSD. My package is still in transit though :(

ZBoater
Jul 25, 2011, 12:15 AM
Wow, the poll is pretty even. Looks like Apple's plans for world domination are right on track! ;)

MarcW
Jul 25, 2011, 08:13 AM
Awaiting delivery of MBA 13" i7, on Wednesday according to FedEx. It'll be my first personally owned Mac, but I've used them periodically over the years. I've been doing Windows since 3.1. I got the iPod Mini in 2004 and the iPad 2 earlier this year, and I plan to move from Blackberry to iPhone this fall when the new one arrives. Given all that, and that I was looking for a new machine to replace my 9 year old PC, it seemed like having an All-in-the-Family combination had some advantages. Plus, I bought Apple stock at $135 so I figure I've got a few extra bucks to spend :D

Booch21
Jul 25, 2011, 08:33 AM
I did some research last September when I began taking my 6 year old Dell to task. I had installed Windows 7 several months prior. I hadn't really given Mac a deserved look, but since I was now doing a great deal of audio/video work with Adobe's Production Premium package, I figured it was time to have a look. Having and Intel processor and being able to run Windows was appealing. So, I made the leap. Since then, I have pretty much moved away from the Windows platform and purchased Mac specific versions of Adobe and Office. The only time I fire up Windows now is to run my flatbed scanner. Since then, I have added the iPad and iPhone to the arsenal. Not a fanboy, but a huge fan of the simplicity and ease of use of the OS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

falconxp
Jul 25, 2011, 09:10 AM
Ordered an 11" i5/4GB/128GB as a replacement for my Sony TT (11.1" C2D SU9300/4GB/128GB SSD) which is getting a little slow.

The're currently no Windows alternatives for me in the 11" range with the quality of Apple/Sony. My Air is going to be dualboot Lion/Windows 7 x64.:D

I already owe a nice fast 13" in the form of a Sony Vaio Z13

adamtj11
Jul 25, 2011, 09:28 AM
Damn the iPods. iPods were the gateway drug to the dark side for me. Started innocently with an iPod mini, then the iPod Video. Next came the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, and now the MBA :mad: (

LOL I'm with you mate bloody iPod mini in 2004 made me hooked, went iPod video , iPod touch, Mac Mini iPhone, iPhone 3gs, Macbook, iPad, iPhone 4 , Apple TV, iPad 2, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air.

I need help lol :apple::confused::cool:

Now I've clocked it up thats nearly 7k in Apple products , good luck newbies hope you manage the addiction better than me!!

Twe Foju
Jul 25, 2011, 09:35 AM
yes, i owned MBP 2007 before, and this is my 2nd Mac Laptop ( 1st Air )

and i am liking it so far, best laptop i've had so far

previously i owned M11X R2 before i finally sold it to buy an Air

xA4Hx
Jul 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
This be my second Mac, first one had awful experience MacBook hard drive went out 3 times in one year. That year macrumors posted manufacture who makes hard drives for MacBooks was making bad ones then one drunk night lost my balance and broke it was told to just buy a new one due to how badly damage this is apples second shot at making me a convert for good from windows computers.

Ps. I have had 5 iPhones not due to problems but from upgrading.

roccobladr
Jul 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
I plan on buying one soon, so it will be my first Mac!! I've been using Windows my whole life and have been on/off with Linux. I absolutely love the new Ubuntu and when I finally played on a Mac recently, it really gave me that same feeling of love.

Not to derail the thread but...if you are running windows on bootcamp or whatever..do you need to buy a separate copy of windows/serial key or whatever?

TornadoLowLevel
Jul 25, 2011, 09:51 AM
I've been using PCs for about 10 years but most people at work use Macs for Osirix, which you can't get on Windows.

I felt it was time for a new computer so took the plunge. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I don't like the way files are laid out, though. I still prefer the PC format. The Trash is a little fussy, too. It won't always empty when I want it to.

I'm sure these things will sort themselves out, given time.

I managed to set up a wireless network external HD without too much of a problem, and now only have the possibly fiddly task of introducing iTunes to my vast music collection.

We shall see what happens.

ZBoater
Jul 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
Not to derail the thread but...if you are running windows on bootcamp or whatever..do you need to buy a separate copy of windows/serial key or whatever?

Yes.

raam89
Jul 25, 2011, 03:37 PM
my first Mac - MBA 13' i5 256gb :apple:

AndiSmith
Jul 25, 2011, 03:45 PM
This will be my first Mac - been threatening to buy one for a year or two. But a combination of a terrible Windows work laptop and a home PC that blue screens all the time; and I've purchased my first Mac - a Macbook Air :)

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive, and then learn to use the thing!

PraisiX-windows
Jul 25, 2011, 03:49 PM
I bought one this thursday, and it arrived TODAY :D - Unfortunately I was asleep so I'll have to see if they bring it tomorrow again..

First mac :) - Used to be an iHater, but now I'll try it out, give it a fair chance.

ZBoater
Jul 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
Wow. 60% of MBA buyers are first time Mac buyers (according to a poll of people who felt like clicking on the link :D ). This has news story written all over it...

SM411
Jul 25, 2011, 03:58 PM
Ordered on release day. Hoping I get it tomorrow. This will be my first Mac.

PaulWog
Jul 25, 2011, 04:01 PM
Wow. 60% of MBA buyers are first time Mac buyers (according to a poll of people who felt like clicking on the link :D ). This has news story written all over it...

My dad thought Apple computers were stupid until he saw my Macbook Air. He was mad that I was buying one (and it's with my own money... I'm 22 years old lol).

Now he saw my Macbook Air and he wants one. My mom wants one as well. I told them I'd help them sell their laptops on craigslist so they can put that money toward Airs (11-inch models).

Funny thing is my dad hasn't even seen the Lion OS at all. He has only looked at the body of the Air. My guess is that he's sold on the look and the quality of the shell. It's sort-of sad that he hasn't cared to take a look at the OS itself at all, and already wants one. What if it were like... Windows 95 quality in the nice Air case? :D It's not but I'm just saying.

nyererei
Jul 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
The MBA is my first mac. I have been patiently waiting for the past few months for this update. I wanted to jump on the refreshed MBP that was released earlier but the low resolution screen and slow 5400RPM HDD really put me off.

This MBA refresh, I think most of us can agree, has fixed the most problematic issues with previous MBAs. So I felt it was definitely time to jump on one.

I still am and will forever be a windows user as well. But this mac is pretty slick! Still learning all the differences between windows 7 and lion though.

Pipper99
Jul 25, 2011, 10:27 PM

Same with me. I had Macs until Windows 95, and I had no intention of going back...then I got an iPod, iPhone 3GS, started visiting the Apple store a lot and playing with the Macs, iPad, iPhone 4, iPad 2, then "why don't I try a Mac Mini?", now iMac and new MBA. Wow.

I remember asking on a forum several years ago if the iPod Touch made anyone want to get a Mac, and my question was met with "hails of derisive laughter". :)

Matthew9559
Jul 25, 2011, 10:39 PM
I am surprised there are so many first time mac owners. Great to see! Enjoy the new machines. :)

I am hoping to replace the MBP in my sig with a MBA 13" at some point soon here. Jealous of all you MBA owners! ;)

dighn
Jul 26, 2011, 04:03 AM
Just got my 13" (base model) MBA as my first Mac. This thing is a work of art. I'm not a form-over-function guy but I can't get over how damn pretty it is and how nice it feels in my hands. The software is taking a little getting used to (shortcuts etc) but it does just work. I really like how despite the nice UI it's actually unix underneath, and I can use stuff like ssh without having to install 3rd party tools. I'm not exactly a "convert" as I still have to rely on Windows for professional and personal reasons, but I'm probably gonna stick with macs for portable machines now.

ZBoater
Jul 29, 2011, 07:29 PM
So more than half of MBA buyers this is their first Mac. Amazing! :apple:

SpiffyChee
Jul 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
The first mac I owned was a Macintosh Portable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Portable. My dad gave it to me when i was 5. I had a lot of fun with it. I've owned my fair share of handmedown macs since then.

BUT, the first mac I ever purchased is my new 11" i7 macbook air (256ssd).

I had many oportunities to purchase macs, but pc specs have always outweighed them. This new generation of macbook airs is truly the greatest laptop ever created to date IMHO. No PC laptop has anywhere near the quality and feel at this price point.

I'm REALLY glad I waited for this and didn't spend money on "slightly portable" macbook pros...

Apple outdid themselves on this one. While technically I've owned macs before, this is the first mac I thought was worth buying. (So i bought one!)

tigres
Jul 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Cool stories. My 2010 MBA I am equally fond of. Glad to see so many new owners here, congrats to all.

eckthroi
Jul 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
Just got my new air a few days ago- cant go online yet because the company i got my mobile broadband from was apparently too low end to support the last five versions of OSX so I am waiting on my newly changed mobile modem to arrive before being able to connect. However I must say I am impressed with the system so far as I can tell. I will not be running anything but OSX on this computer- I figure if I am going to give Apple a try I should be willing to learn its capabilities.

oyibo45
Jul 29, 2011, 08:10 PM
Linux fan here. Linux Mint and Ubuntu were my primary interest shortly after the advent of Vista, lol. This really is my first venture into the Mac world. I just ordered a 13" Mac Air with all the bells and whistles. I can only hope that it lives up to the hype :rolleyes:

Grimmy
Jul 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
Used both Windows and Linux PCs for years but bought my first Mac today in the form of an 11" MBA. Was tempted by last years model, but managed to hold on and wait for this one.

I do own a 2G iPod Touch, so it's not my first Apple product.

Moccasin
Jul 30, 2011, 11:25 AM
2010 11" MBA was my first Mac in April. Currently deciding what my next Mac fix will be ...

ZBoater
Jul 30, 2011, 02:24 PM
Wow. I just think there is a great story in here somewhere... :apple:

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 30, 2011, 02:41 PM
Surprised by the results. I can only think the people voting didn't read the poll title and just voted on the thread title :D

pollaxe
Jul 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
I was a Mac hater for years. I saw them as underpowered, overpriced and gimmicky. Last year, I got seduced by an iPad. I never expected it, I really didn't.

I've just got an i7, 256gb, 13" MBA - I'm writing this post on it - and it's my very first Mac.

torbjoern
Jul 30, 2011, 03:17 PM
I was a Mac hater for years. I saw them as underpowered, overpriced and gimmicky. Last year, I got seduced by an iPad. I never expected it, I really didn't.
^^ The "halo effect". Something similar happened to me, except it started with an iPod touch (1st gen) which I still have.

tecknik1
Jul 30, 2011, 07:35 PM
The new 13 Air is my first Mac. It,s everything I wanted. :D

OxfordMBA
Aug 7, 2011, 05:35 PM
The Macbook Air is my first Mac. I could not be happier.

I was happy as I could be with my old laptop (a 17" Dell) but then the iPad came out which changed what you could expect for a "home use" device. I was so tempted to buy one but I could not justify the cost for what is just a toy. I needed a computer capable of letting me work from home.

The air is just elegant, a work of art. I love how light it is and the swift boot. Gestures just complete the experience.

I have not joined the church of Jobs but I have taken a tour :)

slpslee
Aug 7, 2011, 06:13 PM
It's not my first Mac, but it's my favorite one to date, and my first Air. I picked up an 11" i7/256 on Friday during tax free weekend. I was going to go with the i5, but experience told me I would probably like it well enough to justify the upgraded version, even though I'm retired and do most of my traveling through my house. What a fun little machine. I hate to put it down.

I used to build PCs but a friend talked me into trying a Mac some year ago. Since I had plenty of hardware, I bought a Mini first, then moved on to MacBook Pros, iMacs, and iPads. I have one old wheezer of a Toshiba laptop left that's about 10 years old running Windows XP. It runs some legacy software and, I'll have to give it credit--it still fires up whenever I throw the switch. I use it a little less than seldom.

HiRez
Aug 7, 2011, 07:03 PM
The Trash is a little fussy, too. It won't always empty when I want it to.

Try holding down the Option key while you select Empty Trash, that tries to force it to ignore objections before emptying, it will just purge everything immediately. It can sometimes get around messages like "That file is busy" or whatever. Obviously, this method can be a bit more dangerous though.