PDA

View Full Version : Apple Says Not To Calibrate...What If I Did?

donster28
Jul 24, 2011, 05:23 PM
This is for the battery experts:

Call me paranoid but I'm just worried I ruined my brand new MBA's batteries by doing a calibration.

Nothing unusual about my batteries at the moment, still getting around 4-5 hours in real battery life per charge (only charged it once since I bought it).

I'm surprised the new MBA batteries have already been pre-calibrated in the factory, as Apple's 'additional information' states. Too bad I didn't read this.

What do you think?...please ease a paranoid mind. :D

simsaladimbamba
Jul 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
You don't need to, but even if you would do it, it doesn't harm it.

maflynn
Jul 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
You really didn't to anything wrong or terribly harmful if you calibrated your battery.

Relax and enjoy :)

alust2013
Jul 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
You didn't hurt anything. It wasn't necessary to calibrate, but doing so doesn't hurt it.

mulo
Jul 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
just keep using it, de- and recharge it once a day if possible.
i'm still at 100% battery health just by decharging and recharging 4-5 times a week. This is on a 2011 17" MBP tho.

bp1000
Jul 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
It won't make any difference

I just stick to a general rule of thumb

Let it drain completely once a month, all other times keep it topped up

I let it drain when i first get it. My first full charge gave me 8 hours battery with approx 1 hour standby for lunch

simsaladimbamba
Jul 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
i'm still at 100% battery health just by decharging and recharging 4-5 times a week. This is on a 2011 17" MBP tho.

I am on 99% percent health via not doing this, on a two years old MBP with only 246 cycles.
It is not necessary to daily discharge the MBP, as noted in that FAQ by GGJstudios.

3bs
Jul 31, 2011, 02:19 PM
I am on 99% percent health via not doing this, on a two years old MBP with only 246 cycles.
It is not necessary to daily discharge the MBP, as noted in that FAQ by GGJstudios.

How is it that you guys have better battery health. On my 2010 MBA the health is 95% with 96 cycles

simsaladimbamba
Jul 31, 2011, 02:23 PM
How is it that you guys have better battery health. On my 2010 MBA the health is 95% with 96 cycles

Because the battery health fluctuates, as I am currently on 97% health.
Just tread that **** I linked to in my first post.

Kavrocks
Jul 31, 2011, 04:03 PM
I calibrated my battery about a week after getting my new MBA and my battery health has gained 1% so I'm happy.

clyde2801
Jul 31, 2011, 04:10 PM
Just don't let it happen again, OP! Otherwise silent black helicopters will cruise over your house in attack formation, while jackbooted vegetarian black turtlenecked thugs rappel out the sides and gain entry into your residence.

One operative team will find and liberate the Air, and the other will find YOU.

When Steve Jobs says to not do something with your computer, you'd best listen.

lyrrad721
Jul 31, 2011, 04:40 PM
I calibrated it too when I first got it, this is confusing. Should I drain the battery once a month and then recharge to 100%, or, do the calibration of Apple every two months?

simsaladimbamba
Jul 31, 2011, 04:42 PM
I calibrated it too when I first got it, this is confusing. Should I drain the battery once a month and then recharge to 100%, or, do the calibration of Apple every two months?

Every one to two months to calibrate is okay.
Have you taken a look at that FAQ in the first reply yet?

thewalkman
Jul 31, 2011, 04:56 PM
Did I miss something? Where does Apple say that you're not supposed to calibrate the battery?

lyrrad721
Jul 31, 2011, 04:58 PM
Every one to two months to calibrate is okay.
Have you taken a look at that FAQ in the first reply yet?

Of course, that's what I used to calibrate my MBA the first day I got it. But the title of this thread states that Apple says not to calibrate, which was confusing.

donster28
Jul 31, 2011, 05:02 PM
Folks, here's the basis if the madness I started:D

Just scroll down to the last topic called 'Additional Information'

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

donster28
Jul 31, 2011, 05:06 PM
Did I miss something? Where does Apple say that you're not supposed to calibrate the battery?

Here's the link to ponder on. Just scroll down to 'Additional Information'...the last paragraph:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

gnasher729
Jul 31, 2011, 05:06 PM
What do you think?...please ease a paranoid mind. :D

Can't help you there. You are paranoid. Being paranoid will lead to making bad decision, being unable to live in a healthy relationship, and general unhappiness. The battery, which will explode within hours of you reading this post, is the least of your problems.

Good method of limiting your battery life unnecessarily. The battery has a lifetime of about 1000 charges, so every week you destroy five of your 1000 charges. That's fine if you _need_ to use your MacBook on batteries, but totally wasteful otherwise.

weckart
Aug 1, 2011, 12:02 AM

Luck of the draw in terms of what the system reports back. My 4 year old Macbook is at 100% health with over 350 cycles whilst my similarly aged Macbook Pro is at 72% health with fewer cycles. Real battery life bears no relation to these figures, obviously, and people just get too hung up on them.

3bs
Aug 1, 2011, 08:21 AM
Good method of limiting your battery life unnecessarily. The battery has a lifetime of about 1000 charges, so every week you destroy five of your 1000 charges. That's fine if you _need_ to use your MacBook on batteries, but totally wasteful otherwise.

So you suggest to just keep it plugged in unless you need to take it somewhere?

KPOM
Aug 1, 2011, 08:28 AM
So you suggest to just keep it plugged in unless you need to take it somewhere?

Since it has the deep sleep mode, it makes sense to unplug it when it is fully charged and you aren't using it (e.g. overnight), but, yes, it makes sense to keep it plugged in while you are using it. A full battery cycle is a complete charge and discharge (though I notice the meter in System Preferences in Lion seems to log a new cycle every time it drops below 50% or so).

Azathoth
Aug 1, 2011, 08:39 AM
To OP: don't worry all is fine.
To everyone else:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Gawd, I hate seeing all these FUD comments on the internet regarding Lithium chemistry.

In short - for optimal battery health:
1. Don't run the battery flat on a regular basis
2. Don't make the battery warm on a regular basis
3. Don't keep the battery at 100% charge the whole time (e.g >3months)

Your battery life will fluctuate by a few %. This is normal.

Battery health (actually charge capacity) is likely to be >100% initially, as the capacity spec is a supplier min. spec.
The monitoring circuitry for measuring the capacity is not accurate to the n-th decimal point. I would estimate +/-2% is normal accuracy.

Thank you.

Drive through.