PDA

View Full Version : "Downgrading" OS on new MBA?

KlytusLord
Jul 24, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi all,

I am getting a new MBA for my B-day in a month, hoot!

The problem is that I hate Lion, so I am checking if anyone has installed Snow Leopard on a new Air, and if so, were there any issues?

I realize I will have to buy a separate copy of Leopard, but that is ok.

Thanks!

P.S. I know there is a tendency for threads about preferences to turn into debates, and I hope we can avoid that here. I personally do not like Lion, and it does not matter if others agree or disagree. Thanks for understanding.

old-wiz
Jul 24, 2011, 08:18 PM
It would depend on whether or not the SL retail disk includes whatever drivers are needed for Thunderbolt and whatever else is in new hardware on the MBA. It might work, or some pieces might not.

Obscurelight
Jul 24, 2011, 08:19 PM
Until someone tries it we won't know for sure. However, it probably isn't a good idea as a problem with all the drivers and such. I did read somewhere that you should never restore to an OS version that is older than the one it came with.

hexproject
Jul 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
Unless apple changes it... Right now... New MacBook air 2011 that came with lion can't go back to SL.

Obscurelight
Jul 24, 2011, 08:32 PM
Unless apple changes it... Right now... New MacBook air 2011 that came with lion can't go back to SL.

Did the machine stopped working? How did the tech reacted?

KlytusLord
Jul 24, 2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Krevnik
Jul 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
Did the machine stopped working? How did the tech reacted?

The machine simply won't boot SL, due to a lack of support for it. This is pretty standard for Apple hardware: It only boots the build that came with it, or newer. The 2011 MBPs came with a 10.6.6 build that is newer than the stock 10.6.6. Not even the stock 10.6.6 build would boot it.

The best shot you'd have booting SL on the MBA is 10.6.7 or 10.6.8, and even then I doubt it would boot, it would just fail to run.