Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
Worldwide
I just read the GPU requirements for Core Image to actually take advantage. The lowest PB GPU is the mobility 9700, while I have the 9600.
Does this mean that Core Image will not take full advantage of my PB?
How much of a difference would I notice, graphics and speed wise?

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Boobs said:
I just read the GPU requirements for Core Image to actually take advantage. The lowest PB GPU is the mobility 9700, while I have the 9600.
Does this mean that Core Image will not take full advantage of my PB?
How much of a difference would I notice, graphics and speed wise?

All of that is currently undetermined. Anybody who could answer that question is still under NDA, you we'll have to wait for that to be lifted to find out.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
It used to be on the list, but it is not on the most current one.

Speculation at Ars ranges from it being an oversight (it will work, but isn't on the list) through to an intentional slight for their contributor who complains too much ;)

We'll have to wait and see. Since the 9600 is so similar capability-wise to the 9700 it may still work, but just not be listed. Or we may be stuck with it being done on Altivec (which is the fallback path). Until the NDA comes off nobody can tell us how much slower the Altivec path is over the GPU path.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually, Apple says "Core Image-capable graphics cards include" - this list does not exclude any cards specifically.

Also, if I heard correctly, depending on what card you have is how much will be done by the GPU and how much will fall back to the CPU(s).

Similar cards to those on the list should see the GPU utilized for at least some of the Core Image functions.

What it appears to be is mostly a list of GPUs that Apple currently sells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.