Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Summez

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Hi
Just bought a 17"iMac G4 with an 800 Mhz processor.
The mac has come with Leopard installed.
Just looking for some advice, should I Stick with Leopard or downgrade to Tiger?

Thanks

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I would absolutely stay with Leopard. The big feature for me that made the Tiger to Leopard decision easy was Time Machine. I did miss Tiger for a short time, because I was so used to it, but there are few gains when downgrading to Leopard.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
If not already, upgrade the RAM to the 1 GB max and stay with Leopard.

They can go to 2GB as the the second RAM slot is accessible if crack open the iMac. You do have to reapply thermal paste to the CPU when you're done though.

Summez

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks for the info may have to have a go at adding an extra 1gb of ram.

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
They can go to 2GB as the the second RAM slot is accessible if crack open the iMac. You do have to reapply thermal paste to the CPU when you're done though.

No....the 800MHz and 1GHz models can NOT go to 2GB RAM....only the 1.25 GHz (USB 2.0) model supports 2GB RAM....don't waste your money.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I would install Tiger. It's very fast on G4 machines, and if you're like me, using it as a secondary or tertiary machine, it doesn't need to run all of the latest apps.

Riky.loebis

macrumors newbie
Stay with Leopard for this reason.

I even stayed with Leopard on a 466MHz Power Mac because I find it so much more usable than Tiger.

hehe sorry bro..

oh really ur powermac with os leopard?
it's slowly or working good?
how many ram do u use it? 1 giga ?

anyway have u tips or link to instal leopard under ppc speed 897 mhz, like ur powermac?

i'm newbie bro,,hehe
thank's
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.