PDA

View Full Version : False advertisements?

spincr
Jul 27, 2011, 05:02 PM
Not that i really care but i'm just annoyed and rather bored with Lion.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/launchpad.html

The part about adjusting everything to your own tastes, anyone found out how to get apps out of folders or get a folder renamed?

gibbz
Jul 27, 2011, 05:05 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/launchpad.html

The part about adjusting everything to your own tastes, anyone found out how to get apps out of folders or get a folder renamed?

To move an app out of a folder, you drag it out.

To rename a folder, select the folder so that it opens. Then you simply click the name and it will become editable.

No false advertising at all.

gentlefury
Jul 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
bored with lion? That's a really odd statement...are you supposed to be entertained by an OS?

spincr
Jul 27, 2011, 05:09 PM
To move an app out of a folder, you drag it out.

To rename a folder, select the folder so that it opens. Then you simply click the name and it will become editable.

No false advertising at all.

Wow, imagine that../sarcasme

I tried both that, its not working.

spincr
Jul 27, 2011, 05:10 PM
bored with lion? That's a really odd statement...are you supposed to be entertained by an OS?

Apperantly so, why else would so many people bother to download it.

gentlefury

yes it does...I've already done it many times customizing my launcher.

gibbz

Then you aren't doing it right.

spincr
Jul 27, 2011, 05:13 PM
Well apparently it is not working here. Any suggestions?

Any application taken out goes back in after releasing the button, and the names don't budge.

gentlefury
Jul 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
Then you aren't doing it right.

not sure how to do it wrong....drag it out....pretty dummy-proof

spincr
Jul 27, 2011, 05:18 PM
As i said, i can drag them out but as soon as i release the button they move back in.

I understand how it is supposed to work, I'm telling you its not working as it should.

Amberfool
Jul 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
As i said, i can drag them out but as soon as i release the button they move back in.

I understand how it is supposed to work, I'm telling you its not working as it should.

It's a brand new OS, there's obviously going to be little glitches for a while. I'm sure they will release a new version some time in the next few weeks to counteract them. In the mean time, all you can do is send them a bug report, and hope they get around to fixing it.

gentlefury
Jul 27, 2011, 05:29 PM

Maybe try contacting apple? It's working for everyone else....

fisherking
Jul 27, 2011, 05:34 PM
Maybe try contacting apple? It's working for everyone else....

repair permissions?
go into get info for those folders (or the HD? go into Get Info, make sure the system is "read & write" in Sharing & Permissions)...

which windows? Apps? all? some???

worse case scenario, call apple. fix it.

btbrossard
Jul 27, 2011, 06:14 PM
...and the names don't budge.
You might try restarting your computer and trying to rename again.

The first time I went to rename a folder it wouldn't do anything. Restarting the computer fixed the issue.

spincr
Jul 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
You might try restarting your computer and trying to rename again.

The first time I went to rename a folder it wouldn't do anything. Restarting the computer fixed the issue.

After restarting, i can change the names. However i still can't get things out of folders, and i have 3 spaces in there, while all of it could easily be a single space.

Anyone know how to fix this?

(that its working now is strange though, i have restarted and shut it down multiple times).

dcorban
Jul 28, 2011, 02:42 PM
I just dragged an app from a folder from within Launchpad.

Open the folder. Drag the app up to the "desktop". The folder then closes and you can place the app as normal.

I tried my hardest to get it to not allow me to drag the app out, but even if I drag and immediately let go the instant it is out of the folder, it still places the app correctly in the main Launchpad window.

JRoDDz
Jul 28, 2011, 03:28 PM

He want's his $29.99 worth of entertainment out of it.

sweetbrat
Jul 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
I consider it to be a good thing if the OS is boring. That must mean you're not finding any bugs or having compatibility issues with any of your apps.

I haven't had any issues moving items in and out of folders, or with renaming folders. My issue is that all my Adobe uninstallers and stuff show up in the Launchpad, and since you can only delete App Store purchases, they're there to stay. So I stuck them in folders and moved them to the second page where I don't have to see them.

spincr
Jul 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
It's not specifically that i want my money out of it, although since the fact that you pay for it makes you want to enjoy it.

And is this case enjoyment does not equal boredom. When the day comes that the fact that being bored with something new (and apparently this big) because its actually doing what it's supposed to do means its ok, we might as well go awall.

applefan289
Jul 28, 2011, 07:14 PM

People, an OS is not a video game!

spincr
Jul 29, 2011, 06:02 AM
I never said it was, but applauding something this over-hyped simply because its supposedly working as it should (which it isn't) is ridiculous.

Instead you should honestly look at what you're experiencing.

maflynn
Jul 29, 2011, 06:06 AM

People, an OS is not a video game!

No, but you cannot have an OS that is in part marketed as cool with lots of animations and then argue that its just an OS devoid of any stimulation especially when apple put so much eye candy in.

I question the OP's stance on being bored with an OS, but clearly like all of apples other offerings there's an emotional tie in to their marketing which is difficult to argue about it not being there, i.e, its just an OS

spincr
Jul 29, 2011, 06:10 AM
Back to the original problem then,

yesterday for the first time i was able to take certain apps out of folders in the launchpad, now after restarting mbp 2010 i can't anymore. I can still change the names of the folders though, but I'm still stuck with certain apps in the wrong places.

its kinda annoying how a massive advertised function is working this ******.

PS: perhaps i wasn't so much bored as i was annoyed with multiple things in Lion that are simply frustrating.

gentlefury
Jul 29, 2011, 09:48 AM
I never said it was, but applauding something this over-hyped simply because its supposedly working as it should (which it isn't) is ridiculous.

Instead you should honestly look at what you're experiencing.

Correction, it isn't working for you....but according to the app store there are at the very least, 12,104 people who simply love it.

Broaden the world view a bit.

spincr
Sep 7, 2011, 12:31 AM
Correction, it isn't working for you....but according to the app store there are at the very least, 12,104 people who simply love it.

Broaden the world view a bit.

Oh my you're serious? HA should i applaud? The first release didn't work for **** - 12k luckies don't change that.

And with that, i can pretty much assume that half of those will support Apple and some of their retarded products no matter how its working for them.