Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

najicta

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
So, I LOVED mac the ripper, but since we've updated to OS X Lion, Mac the Ripper has become obsolete :(
Anyone have any ideas for a FREE replacement app? Much appreciated :)

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
RipIt works well, but it does cost money.

I believe there is a trial version.

And for encoding, of course, handbrake is the best.

I've heard if you have VLC also installed, you can get handbrake to also rip DVDs, but I've never tired that.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Handbrake?

Handbrake and MacTheRipper do not untimately achieve the same goal. Handbrake re-encodes the media causing a loss in quality. MacTheRipper does not re-encode the media so no quality is lost.

I don't have any free options for you but MakeMKV is a great program worth every penny that also works on Blu-ray discs. I have used MakeMKV to rip over 1000 movies, a combination of SD and HD, and it has never let me down.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Depends on the quality you use, and they're not really identical applications anyway. HandBrake can transcode to other formats, MacTheRipper simply rips the DVD to your hard drive.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
So, I LOVED mac the ripper, but since we've updated to OS X Lion, Mac the Ripper has become obsolete :(
Anyone have any ideas for a FREE replacement app? Much appreciated :)

Not sure what you mean by obsolete. A few hours ago I tried MTR 4.1.5 on my Lion install and not a single issue. What version are you using?

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I use handbrake to rip my DVDs. It doesn't rip the full DVD content, but it's very useful for converting DVDs to mp4, m4v, and other formats so that way they're compatible with iTunes, quicktime, iPod, iPad, etc...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The problem is that he doesn't want to pay for it so he is using the 2.6.6 version.

MTR 4.1.5 is so much better than MTR 2.6.6. If you rip a lot of DVDs like I do it is definitely worth it to pay for the upgrade.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Is the loss in quality using Handbrake really anything substantial? If you're ripping a DVD to a computer format I trust it's not going to be watched on a 50 inch HD TV in 1080p. You're ripping it to watch on the computer. Or to watch on your iPod or something. These devices aren't of quite the same calibre as a plasma TV so you'd be losing quality anyway...

GuerillaTech

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
Is the loss in quality using Handbrake really anything substantial? If you're ripping a DVD to a computer format I trust it's not going to be watched on a 50 inch HD TV in 1080p. You're ripping it to watch on the computer. Or to watch on your iPod or something. These devices aren't of quite the same calibre as a plasma TV so you'd be losing quality anyway...

Handbrake has fully customizable settings for what quality you want out of your rip. If you have a media device that you can watch mp4 files on, such as an xbox 360, you can watch them on your plasma tv

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Looking for a link

Not sure what you mean by obsolete. A few hours ago I tried MTR 4.1.5 on my Lion install and not a single issue. What version are you using?
I have tried to find a link that will let me download MTR 4.1.5 but the links I find all go back to version 2. One link even went back to this thread!!

Does anyone have a good link? Is this version only available in a box? I don't mind paying as I had version 2 and know that it worked fine (before Lion.)

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I have tried to find a link that will let me download MTR 4.1.5 but the links I find all go back to version 2. One link even went back to this thread!!

Does anyone have a good link? Is this version only available in a box? I don't mind paying as I had version 2 and know that it worked fine (before Lion.)

Since MTR4 in not free you'll have to buy it like the rest of us. The process involves giving a donation through PayPal. The best way to find out about it is to look at the MTR4 forums, there it is documented how to get MTR4.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Still looking for a civil answer

Since MTR4 in not free you'll have to buy it like the rest of us. The process involves giving a donation through PayPal. The best way to find out about it is to look at the MTR4 forums, there it is documented how to get MTR4.

1) Look at my post again and you will see that I clearly indicated a willingness to pay. Your use of "buy it like the rest of us" was clearly inappropriate.

2) I did request a link to access such a paid version. Your reply of "look at the MTR4 forums" may be all you have but it does not answer my request which I think was both valid an courteous.

People in this thread need to calm down. :eek:

judelf

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Mac DVD Ripper Pro

Used to use Handbrake and now it won't work with Lion. :(

I was afraid to try anything due to virus worries etc. Luckily I ran across this thread.

I just tried MacDVD Ripper Pro and it was awesome. It ripped a protected file and that's what I need. I want to watch my DVD TV series and movies on my Apple TV and this is awesome!

I'm so thankful. I'll willingly pay the few dollars for this software!

Thanks for the recommendation.

paid4c4

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Northern Kentucky
I recently bought and installed Mac The Ripper Pro. So far I haven't found any DVD it won't rip. Well worth the money and I just received an update which leads me to believe they keep the program current. Beats messing around with all those "free" to try programs which either don't work or only partially work until you buy the complete program. Being a cheap skate I played with all the free programs/apps only to be disappointed. Mac The Ripper Pro was worth 24 dollars. I'm sure glad my Iphone5 has a lot of memory as I'm filling it with movies and other downloads.
Bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.