PDA

View Full Version : Replacement app for Mac the Ripper

najicta
Jul 28, 2011, 12:16 AM
So, I LOVED mac the ripper, but since we've updated to OS X Lion, Mac the Ripper has become obsolete :(
Anyone have any ideas for a FREE replacement app? Much appreciated :)

tblrsa
Jul 28, 2011, 12:19 AM
Handbrake?

http://handbrake.fr/

btbrossard
Jul 28, 2011, 12:23 AM
RipIt (http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/) works well, but it does cost money.

I believe there is a trial version.

And for encoding, of course, handbrake is the best.

I've heard if you have VLC also installed, you can get handbrake to also rip DVDs, but I've never tired that.

brand
Jul 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
Handbrake?

Handbrake and MacTheRipper do not untimately achieve the same goal. Handbrake re-encodes the media causing a loss in quality. MacTheRipper does not re-encode the media so no quality is lost.

I don't have any free options for you but MakeMKV (http://makemkv.com) is a great program worth every penny that also works on Blu-ray discs. I have used MakeMKV to rip over 1000 movies, a combination of SD and HD, and it has never let me down.

Mackilroy
Jul 28, 2011, 12:49 AM
Depends on the quality you use, and they're not really identical applications anyway. HandBrake can transcode to other formats, MacTheRipper simply rips the DVD to your hard drive.

brand
Jul 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
Depends on the quality you use

If the video is being re-encoded there is a loss in quality no matter what quality is selected in Handbrake.

quasinormal
Jul 28, 2011, 12:57 AM
Is it the PPC 2.6.6 version of Mac the Ripper that no longer works due to the demise of Rosetta or is it all versions?

You could try macdvdripper pro, but it is a paid app;

http://macdvdripperpro.com/faq.html

brand
Jul 28, 2011, 12:58 AM
Is it the PPC 2.6.6 version of Mac the Ripper that no longer works due to the demise of Rosetta or is it all versions?

AFAIK just the 2.6.6 Rosetta version.

iVeBeenDrinkin'
Jul 28, 2011, 01:07 AM
RipIt

GuerillaTech
Jul 28, 2011, 01:30 AM
I use MacDVDRipper Pro (http://macdvdripperpro.com/), but it's $20. It has yet to find a dvd it can't rip for me.
a free alternative is Fairmount (http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/), but it's not nearly as convenient.

Taz Mangus
Jul 28, 2011, 01:33 AM
So, I LOVED mac the ripper, but since we've updated to OS X Lion, Mac the Ripper has become obsolete :(
Anyone have any ideas for a FREE replacement app? Much appreciated :)

Not sure what you mean by obsolete. A few hours ago I tried MTR 4.1.5 on my Lion install and not a single issue. What version are you using?

brand
Jul 28, 2011, 01:41 AM
Not sure what you mean by obsolete. A few hours ago I tried MTR 4.1.5 on my Lion install and not a single issue. What version are you using?

The problem is that he doesn't want to pay for it so he is using the 2.6.6 version.

moderngamenewb
Jul 28, 2011, 01:58 AM
I use handbrake to rip my DVDs. It doesn't rip the full DVD content, but it's very useful for converting DVDs to mp4, m4v, and other formats so that way they're compatible with iTunes, quicktime, iPod, iPad, etc...

Database
Jul 28, 2011, 01:58 AM
I use MacX DVD Ripper Pro, both rips the dvd and converts to other formats...

Cole Slaw
Jul 28, 2011, 02:02 AM
I have MacTheRipper 3.0 build 14.
It shows up as "Intel" app in my about this Mac system info.

Taz Mangus
Jul 28, 2011, 02:26 AM
The problem is that he doesn't want to pay for it so he is using the 2.6.6 version.

MTR 4.1.5 is so much better than MTR 2.6.6. If you rip a lot of DVDs like I do it is definitely worth it to pay for the upgrade.

szolr
Jul 28, 2011, 02:40 AM
Is the loss in quality using Handbrake really anything substantial? If you're ripping a DVD to a computer format I trust it's not going to be watched on a 50 inch HD TV in 1080p. You're ripping it to watch on the computer. Or to watch on your iPod or something. These devices aren't of quite the same calibre as a plasma TV so you'd be losing quality anyway...

GuerillaTech
Jul 28, 2011, 04:03 AM
Is the loss in quality using Handbrake really anything substantial? If you're ripping a DVD to a computer format I trust it's not going to be watched on a 50 inch HD TV in 1080p. You're ripping it to watch on the computer. Or to watch on your iPod or something. These devices aren't of quite the same calibre as a plasma TV so you'd be losing quality anyway...

Handbrake has fully customizable settings for what quality you want out of your rip. If you have a media device that you can watch mp4 files on, such as an xbox 360, you can watch them on your plasma tv

MacRum2011
Jul 28, 2011, 04:56 AM
I use MacTheRipper 3.0r14i with Lion. Works a treat. I ran into the same problem.

Kanunu
Aug 14, 2011, 10:49 PM
Not sure what you mean by obsolete. A few hours ago I tried MTR 4.1.5 on my Lion install and not a single issue. What version are you using? I have tried to find a link that will let me download MTR 4.1.5 but the links I find all go back to version 2. One link even went back to this thread!!

Does anyone have a good link? Is this version only available in a box? I don't mind paying as I had version 2 and know that it worked fine (before Lion.)

BlackMangoTree
Aug 14, 2011, 10:55 PM
Mac DVD Ripper Pro is simply the best dvd ripper on OS X.

brand
Aug 14, 2011, 11:01 PM
I have tried to find a link that will let me download MTR 4.1.5 but the links I find all go back to version 2. One link even went back to this thread!!

Does anyone have a good link? Is this version only available in a box? I don't mind paying as I had version 2 and know that it worked fine (before Lion.)

Since MTR4 in not free you'll have to buy it like the rest of us. The process involves giving a donation through PayPal. The best way to find out about it is to look at the MTR4 forums, there it is documented how to get MTR4.

Kanunu
Aug 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
Since MTR4 in not free you'll have to buy it like the rest of us. The process involves giving a donation through PayPal. The best way to find out about it is to look at the MTR4 forums, there it is documented how to get MTR4.

1) Look at my post again and you will see that I clearly indicated a willingness to pay. Your use of "buy it like the rest of us" was clearly inappropriate.

2) I did request a link to access such a paid version. Your reply of "look at the MTR4 forums" may be all you have but it does not answer my request which I think was both valid an courteous.

People in this thread need to calm down. :eek:

judelf
Feb 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
Used to use Handbrake and now it won't work with Lion. :(

I was afraid to try anything due to virus worries etc. Luckily I ran across this thread.

I just tried MacDVD Ripper Pro and it was awesome. It ripped a protected file and that's what I need. I want to watch my DVD TV series and movies on my Apple TV and this is awesome!

I'm so thankful. I'll willingly pay the few dollars for this software!

Thanks for the recommendation.

paid4c4
Mar 21, 2013, 10:07 AM
I recently bought and installed Mac The Ripper Pro. So far I haven't found any DVD it won't rip. Well worth the money and I just received an update which leads me to believe they keep the program current. Beats messing around with all those "free" to try programs which either don't work or only partially work until you buy the complete program. Being a cheap skate I played with all the free programs/apps only to be disappointed. Mac The Ripper Pro was worth 24 dollars. I'm sure glad my Iphone5 has a lot of memory as I'm filling it with movies and other downloads.
Bill

Kumarna
Jun 25, 2013, 10:13 AM
I would recommend the program DVD ripper ultimate SE for Mac (****************6YzEa). This is one of the best to rip DVD to video and audio formats, and it can also work with HD video formats. I have used it for almost one year and find it really helpful. It can easily help me enjoy my dvd on my ipad. You can have a try.

kumquat
Sep 15, 2013, 12:02 AM
I'm using Next DVD Ripper to make VOBs and Handbrake to make M4Vs.

I would really like to be able to use MacTheRipper again (and could still use my old version immediately if I hooked up one of my blue-ray or dvd burners to my old G5 or white macbook both of which have dead internal multi-drives) but the whole weirdness around back and forth emails and paypal donations is just sketchy to me. There are so many different DVD ripping apps for all the major OS none of which have had their developers get sued as far as I know, that the air of paranoia emanating from the developer just turns me off. Great app, though.

I must say that I'm looking forward to the day when we no longer have any discs to rip and trying to explain to kids why the movie makers wouldn't just beam out the files from their editing bays rather than going through the whole process of burning and packaging and shipping and selling discs will just puzzle them as a huge waste of time and energy.

Since Lisa
Nov 7, 2013, 04:24 PM
Sorry, it's not free ($24.95) but well worth the price. I use Mac DVD Ripper Pro (MRDP). It supports all the way to Mavericks (a good free upgrade from Snow Leopard and above if you have at least 4GB of memory) and rips commercial DVDs. It defeats most encryption and when it doesn't using it in conjunction with FairMount (free) it often even solves those problems. They've also recently acquired DVDRemaster Pro (still works if you have it) from Metakine, which cost more and almost always required Fairmount to get a workable rip from encrypted media, and they say they will analyse that product incorporate any useful features they find in it. I know you said free but I don't think you'll find anything at that price that works. I've looked. Honest, MRDP is worth the price of one BlueRay (though it doesn't work on them). To rip BlueRay you'll need MakeMKV (shareware for $50) and a drive. Hope that helps.